27

Project Wedding

 

I was definitely stumped for words. Mei took advantage of my silence and left me there to ponder over this whole situation. I dropped my on a log, running my hands through my hair. I know I wanted to be with Kris; I liked him a lot and there was no denying in that.

But I would hate to be the cause of someone’s heartbreak. I’ll always be known as that heartless cow that ruined the life of a girl in love. However, there was obviously my happiness.

I stood up from the log and began pacing around with all these thoughts running a track in my head.

“Don’t I deserve to be happy in love too?” I asked myself.

I nodded vigorously but suddenly stopped when the image of Mei came into mind; she was crying all over again and blubbering in her cracked voice as she begged for me to stay clear of Kris.

I groaned loudly in annoyance. How could she even ask me such a thing anyway? I didn’t have any control over Kris at all.

There was a distinct rustling and before I could question who was out there, Jiho came through into the clearing with his same old grin that displayed his set of teeth and wrinkled up his eyes.

“What are you still doing here Hyesu?” Jiho asked. I sighed, not wanting to relay what had just happened to me.

“I just wanted to get away from camp for a second. My mind is all over the place right now” I informed him. He seemed to understand as he nodded.

“You know what you need? A Zico hug” Jiho spread his arms out for me. There was something about him that was just so welcoming. I giggled slightly and walked on over to him, letting his arms envelope me in securely. My arms patted against his back before I took a step back away from the warm hug.

“Thanks Jiho. I needed that” I smiled brightly at him. He beamed right back at me. I wasn’t going to lie; he was simply looking at me, straight in the eyes, for way to long.

Uncomfortably, I looked away, walking around the small area and taking in the faint shadows that were being cast by the setting sun. “How are you finding the trip so far?” Jiho asked randomly. I scrunched my nose as my brain thought of the oh so wonderful moments this camping trip brought me; for instance getting stuck up a tree and not to forget, Kris’ girlfriend asking me not to get him to break up with her.

“Oh this trip has been pretty fantastic” I replied. Jiho smiled at my response, “I think so too. It’s even better with me isn’t it Hyesu”

He nudged me with his elbow whilst wriggling his eyebrows. “Don’t try and deny it” he teased.

I rolled my eyes. “Sure Jiho, sure” I said with sarcasm.

“Just for the record, I think it great with you too” Jiho added. There wasn’t any joke behind what he said. I looked at him but he happened to be looking at the sky instead. His face showed that he was being very serious indeed.

I managed to nervously laugh and stop myself from feeling uneasy by elbowing him and pretending he was simply playing me on again. “Shut up Jiho”

“What, don’t you believe me?” he enquired. He managed to catch my eye and I knew I wouldn’t be able to brush this off again like it was some joke.

“Hmm?” I made a weird humming noise as if I didn’t hear exactly what Jiho has said.

He clicked his tongue in irritation and brought a finger up to my forehead to poke at it. “Tsk, is there nothing in that head of yours? I think I’ve made it clear, haven’t I?”

Oh no.

I looked up at him, worried about what he was trying to say. But before I could even open my mouth to form words, his face lunged forward and his lips were meshed tightly against mine. I made a small yelping sound as soon as our mouths came in contact.

I had no idea what to do. This was all a bit of a surprise. I stood there with my arms held out for lord knows why and my eyes furiously blinking.

Jiho stepped away from me before I could do anything. It was a chaste and simple kiss; definitely different to the kisses Kris had given me in the past.

“Er…what was that?” I slowly asked, wanting to know what the hell he was playing at.

“Easy. I seem to be attracted to you so I decided to see what it would be like to kiss you” Jiho explained.

“Excuse me? You just decided?” I repeated in an incredulous tone, “I’d appreciate if you didn’t do that again in the future”

Jiho shrugged, “I can’t promise anything…but think about it”

He smiled and quickly walked away, leaving me puzzled. Does he want me to think about the idea of him and me?

I groaned once more, throwing my head back in frustration. Things just got even more complicated.

 

A few minutes later, I decided to head back to camp. I was pretty sure Kris would be talking to Mei right now so in really, there was nothing I could have done. That would mean that Kris and I would be together!

I smiled unconsciously but that was quickly ripped away from my face.

The beating of my heart seemed to stop altogether. My eyes were just fixated on them, on what they were doing.

My lips trembled slightly as I screamed at myself to just look away; but I couldn’t. The image was there, engraved in my brain.

Kris was all over her like a rash. And Mei, she couldn’t be any happier. At least someone was, because all I wanted to do now was to hide in my own bed and bawl my eyes out.

How could he have lied to me?