23

Project Wedding

 

I kept on wondering when the bell would go off to signify lunch was over. I couldn’t stand being on the same table and Kris and Mei. She was incredibly sweet with him; a very perfect couple to be frank. Nothing I could ever match up to that’s for sure.

Chanyeol cried out aloud in boredom, “Oh my god, lunch is so long today”

I sighed, humming in agreement. I looked down at my empty plate, wishing it could refill itself. “Longest lunch ever” I mumbled. Beside me, Jiho was texting on his phone busily, Chanyeol and Min were interacting and then there’s Mei and Kris. Like hell I would talk to them, especially Kris.

Suddenly Chanyeol and Min stood up. I looked at them in confusion but she simply smiled. “We’re going outside, want to come along?” Min said.

Even though she had offered, it was clear that she was trying to get Chanyeol alone with her so I declined. “Oh no, we’re fine here” I’m way too nice.

Mei waved goodbye to the pair and she turned to Jiho and I and beamed, “It’s just us now”

“Yeah” I muttered, “How great...”

She placed her head in her hands and rested her elbows on the table. Her smile dazzled all by itself and made me sort of uncomfortable, like she was ready to say something cheeky.

“So, how long have you two been dating?” Mei asked. I blinked steadily, hoping she wasn’t talking to me. I looked around myself but lo and behold, there was no one beside me apart from text freak Jiho.

“Are you talking to me?” I asked tentatively, pointing a finger to myself. Mei laughed in amusement, “Of course I’m talking to you”

“Oh...and my boyfriend is who exactly?” I enquired once again, to make sure I had all details. “Jiho, silly” she said in a sweet cheery voice.

I laughed loudly. Our conversation had caught Jiho’s attention and he looked in puzzlement.

Kris rolled his eyes and interrupted, “They’re not dating Mei Lien”

Mei’s eyes became larger for a second, feeling slightly embarrassed by the assumption she made. “Oh no, sorry, I just thought...”

“It’s okay” I said, “I don’t know what gave you that idea but, no, we’re not dating. At all”

Jiho raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest. “You seem pretty certain about that. What is it? Does the thought of dating me offend you?”

My hands cupped my face in distress. “I didn’t mean it like that Jiho. Just that...I...er”

“You’re not her type” Kris intervened, not even making eye contact with anyone. Just looking down at his food and eating. I was slightly annoyed by that statement. How the hell would he know if Jiho was my type or not?

“You seem pretty confident about that. What if he is?” I challenged. Kris looked up, his face serious and unmoving. Mei chuckled nervously, “You must be very good friends with Kris to be able to know each other well...”

I sighed aloud. Luckily Jiho spoke up again to save me from getting even more annoyed. “Not her type? Well, if handsome is her type then definitely, I fit the bill” he announced cockily.

I groaned aloud, shoving his head, “Ew Jiho. That is just smelly blue cheese!”

Mei squealed, “Aw so cute”

I snapped my head in her direction, looking quite startled at the odd compliment.  Kris cleared his throat and pulled his chair back. The legs scraped along the floor to create a loud screeching sound. “I just remembered that I need to do something”

“Oh” Mei said, “I’ll come with you!”

“No, best you stay. I won’t be long” Kris said quickly and strode away from the table and out the door. I could tell he was irritated. His brows at netted up in the middle with his forehead creasing. A frown was clearly decorating his lips and face.

“Erm, I need the bathroom. Be right back” I leapt out of my seat and went towards the doors that Kris had gone through. He wasn’t far. In fact he stood on the opposite wall as if expecting me to follow him out.

“What is your problem?” I asked harshly. His hand ran through his hair, tugging in frustration. I told my mind to ignore that fact that his hair was messy just made him look even more attractive.

“Not here” he hissed and walked away. I growled inside my head, wanting to just jump on his and throw him to the floor so I could just stamp him. He was making me so angry!

We made it soon to the back of the school. It was pretty much deserted there.

When we got there, all the emotion I had bottled up was spilling out in seconds. “How could you not have told me you had a girlfriend? I mean it’s kind of mandatory don’t you think when you’re kissing someone other than her. Ugh, you must think I’m just some pathetic girl who can’t do anything! Well, just to remind you, I have a very violent side and I’m not afraid to kick you where it hurts most”

Kris stared back at me, stunned and just staring in awe.

“What?!” I demanded to know.

“This is going to sound inappropriate but you’re hot when you’re angry” He commented. I ran my hands across my face and through my hair.

“Oh my god why are you always doing this to me?” I whined, “Don’t you think I deserve an explanation rather than you complimenting me on something pretty random”

He was silent for a while. I was breathing heavily and soon calmed down. Kris breathed out loudly and began talking.

“I left Mei Lien in China when me and my parents moved here. To me, we were pretty much over. I don’t do long distance. But I guess she had other plans. She surprised me a while ago and said she was at Incheon airport and I had to pick her up.” Kris said, his eyes dazing away as if picturing the moments he had just talked about.

“Is she the friend who’s staying with you?” I asked, not daring to look at him.

“Yes.”

“I guess that’s that then. You go on with your life with her and I’ll go on with mine” I declared. I turned my back on him and went back to the lunch hall.

 

I got home and fell onto my bed. Today was just tiring and I didn’t even have the heart to go down and eat. My eye looked up on top of my cupboard, catching a glimpse of a purple folder.

How stupid of me.

I grabbed the folder and went down the stairs and out to the front. The rubbish collectors would arrive tomorrow morning and with that, I chucked the damn thing in the bin, hoping to never see it again.