24

Project Wedding

 

Everyone was hanging around outside the school gates, bags in hands, waiting their turn to enter the coach. It was the day of our camping trip. Min was adamant about sitting next Chanyeol on the coach and there was simply no way I was going to be seated next to Kris now.

Jiho came over and nudged my sides, “You look like you could use some Zico in your life”

I rolled my eyes and a smile decorated my face for the first time that morning. “I’m sure I’ll survive without a Jiho near me”

He scowled at me and threatened to hit me by raising his hand, “Yah, is that how you talk to those older than you?”

I stuck my tongue out at him and swatted his hand away. He was so immature. I replied sarcastically, “Oh sorry granddad”

Jiho laughed and caged my neck with his arm, keeping me there. I was startled for sure and yelped because of that. “Jiho! What the hell are you doing? Let go of me”

Jiho laughed more, louder this time, “Not until you say, Jiho is the best and I am honoured to be in his presence”

I scoffed lightly, “Over my dead body Woo Jiho. You should be counted lucky that I’m not kicking your at the moment”

A small squeal emitted from the side. My eyes widened and I turned my head to look at who was making such a ruckus. Mie Lien was clasping her hands and looking and Jiho and I with sparkling eyes.

“Are you sure you two aren’t dating? Jiaheng, don’t you think they look cute?” Mie called Kris. He looked at me and Jiho with an unreadable expression. I slowly eased myself out of Jiho’s hold. Straightening up and fixing the collar of my top, I gave the other two a sheepish smile.

“I’m very sure that Jiho and I aren’t dating. Sorry to disappoint” I explained awkwardly. My fingers fiddled with the hem of my shirt. My eyes wandered everywhere apart from Kris’ face.

Jiho just gave cheesy grin, “You forgot to add the word ‘yet’”

I rolled my eyes once again, accidently looking straight at Kris. He was staring straight back at me. I froze for a split second before clearing my throat and looking away. When was it going to be out turn to climb onto the coach?

 

The ride to the camp site was extremely noisy. Students were chatting here and there and once the driver the radio, everyone decided to just sing along to the lyrics of well known songs. I have to admit, I joined in too.

Jiho patted my shoulder to gain my attention. I turned to him with a look of curiosity. “What’s up?” I responded to his tap.

He looked a bit distressed for a second and blew out a sigh, “Are you sure you and Kris are nothing?”

I nervously chuckled at his weird enquiry. “Why would ask such a thing? Me and Kris are simply nothing. Not even friends”

Jiho nodded, “Are you sure?”

“Yes” I nodded vigorously.

“It’s just that he keeps looking this way. I mean, I know I’m handsome an all, but I don’t think he swings that way” Jiho explained. My brows creased slightly to express my discomfort.

I didn’t dare to even turn my head in Kris’ direction. “Is he looking now?”

Jiho did a side glance past my head. “Oh, he just turned back! Is Mei really his girlfriend, because he seems more interested in you? I need to know if it’s necessary to mark my territory with you”

I gave him a weird look and flicked his head. “Am I some sort of possession?”

Jiho seemed to constantly baffle me with his bluntness and his very forward remarks; anyone would think we were more than friends. He rubbed his head and gave a sad grimace, “How can you hit your most favoured friend ever?”

I rolled my eyes, “Are you talking about Min because she’s not here at the moment? Too busy being loved up”

I giggled at my own statement and looked over at her and Chanyeol. They were laughing cheerily as Chanyeol made large gestured with his hand and spoke with such charm. I was happy for them. Hopefully Min’s love life would go much smoother than mine.

 

Arriving to the campsite, our year group was split in half. One half would be in Camp a while the other in Camp B. There was no difference between other than the names. Min came clambering over to me with her tent in her hand.

“You brought the sleeping bags right?” She asked. We had decided that Min would get the biggest ten she could find while I got the sleeping bags.

“Yep! Now we have to set it  up...you do know how to do that right?” I asked. She gave me a reassuring smile, “Of course! I have the instructions in my pocket”

Her hand slipped in her jacket pocket and the look on her face said it all. She had lost the instructions. “I’m sure we can do it without it. I mean, how hard can it be?”

Turned out, it was very hard. We set it up, only to realise there were several components we hadn’t used and the whole thing just came down with one blow of the wind.

“You ladies seriously need me in your life” Jiho joked after watching the tent fall down.

“Enough talk” I scolded, “Help us please”

I clasped my hands into a large fist and placed it under my chine and gave him my best smile.  He chuckled and started picking up the metal rods, “Sure thing Su”

After the tent was set up, we stood back and admired it. It was pretty big, too big for just two people.

“Wow that’s a big tent” Mei Lien came over. She suddenly jumped in excitement, “Why don’t we all sleep in one big tent! It’ll be so much fun! We can stay up tell ghost stories and everything!”

Kris’ eyes lit up in alarm. His eyes wandered over to me and realised that the tent belong to Min and I. He held onto Mei’s arm, trying to calm her down, “I don’t think that’s a good idea Mie Lien”

“Oh come on guys” she pouted dejectedly, “All six of us in one tent; it’ll be so much fun”

There were murmurs of approval going round Chanyeol, Jiho and Min. I bit down on my lip, forcing myself not to blurt out too rudely and refusing Kris to enter the tent at all.

I guess the decision was already made.