This time, it's his birthday

Coincidence

 

Your phone was ringing quite loudly in the early morning. Your body was demanding yourself to not wake up but your mind had other plans for you. You checked the clock next to your bed. 3:20am. *Oh, its only three-twenty in the morning… Wait… THREE- TWENTY IN THE MORNING?! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD CALL SOMEONE AT THREE-TWENTY IN THE MORNING?!* You death-stared at your phone and you picked it up carefully as if it was some kind of explosive bomb. You looked at the caller ID and you were confused. It was Lizzy who was calling you. *Why is Lizzy calling me so early in the morning? Has she forgotten how to do some homework or something?* You accepted the call and you yawned loudly into the phone to show Lizzy how sleepy you were. "Lizzy-ah… IM SO FRIGGIN TIRED! WHY IN THE GIANT VAST WORLD WITH A BIG POPULATION WOULD YOU CALL ME?!" You screamed into the phone. When you are woken up in the morning for no real reason, you tend to be a tad bit grouchy.

 

You expected to hear an apology but Lizzy wasn't going to apologize any time soon. "Yah, if I didn't call you, you would've been doomed! Hey, did you know?" You scratched your head. "What do I know?" You could hear her sigh -quite loudly- on the other side. "Chingu, today is Minwoo's birthday. Didn't you know?" Your eyes widened. "What? Today is his birthday???" You had no idea. "Yeah! So, aren't you going to give him something or something?" You thought about it for a while. "Hey… do you think that I like to call people so early in the morning? I like my beauty sleep too!" You felt bad for screaming a Lizzy when her intentions were so NICE! "M-mianhaeyo Lizzy-ah." Lizzy laughed. "Aigoo, its okay. I mean, I'd go crazy too if someone had called me so early in the morning. Well, have a think about what you're going to get him. Have a nice sleep..." And she hung up.

 

You tried to sleep but you couldn't because your mind was very busy wondering what to get for Minwoo. *Maybe I should buy him something nice… maybe something expensive… But I don’t have that much money and I don't want him to think that I think that I'm rich...* You got an idea and suddenly sat up. *I know! I'll make him something! It is like they say: "It's the thought that counts."* You quickly put on your grey woolly jacket and walked downstairs as quietly as possible. After all, your parents were still  in deep sleep mode. You got out some chocolate and pans and a knife. You were going to make him homemade chocolate balls! According to you, homemade stuff was always better than store bought items. One, because your feeling and your hard work was put in and two, it was quite fun making different things. You tried to as quietly as possible to mix up all the ingredients. They were originally reserved for Valentines Day for your family and Lizzy but… you could always buy more ingredients!

 

You had just finished putting on the icing on the last chocolate ball when you looked at the time. It was 4:20am. Usually, making chocolate balls would only take about 15mins. You looked at the bench beside you. It was filled with melted and "deflated" chocolate balls. They weren't bad for eating but the presentation well…. That's a whole other story. You sighed and opened the shelves to get a card, some green ribbon and a clear plastic bag that is used for putting desserts in like muffins or cake. You carefully put the chocolate balls into the bag and you started writing on the card. You stapled the card to the ribbon and tied up the bag with the shiny green ribbon. You sighed and took a moment to appreciate your work of art. You quickly (but carefully) put the present into the freezer and you walked upstairs. Quickly, you drifted off to Dreamland…

 

You woke up the next morning, for some reason happy. Then, you remembered. Today was Minwoo's birthday and you had made him some delicious chocolate balls. You smiled and went to brush your teeth. You trudged down and was smiling happily. Your parents greeted you happily and you greeted them well… sleepily. You sat down and quickly gobbled up your breakfast. It was almost time to go to school. You quickly slipped on your uniform, got your present and walked out the door. "I'm going!" you shouted to your parents. When you walked out, you were surprised that Minwoo wasn't waiting outside  you house like he did everyday. *Maybe he had to go to school to hand in some assignment….* You shrugged and walked to school.

 

When you were nearing the school gates, you heard a lot of girls screaming and girls rushing past you with what looked like a present in their hands. *What's going on?* You were curious and jogged to the school gates. When you arrived, it was like a zoo. People (mainly girls) were running around and screaming . *Seriously, what is world coming to?* You tried to go closer but it was practically impossible. Unless if she risked getting squashed and getting her present for Minwoo ruined. You saw a glimpse of Minwoo and realised what the commotion was all about. Today was Minwoo birthday and all the girls had bought presents for him. You looked around. Girls were carrying around expensive looking items like silver watches or a brand new suit. *Wow… They sure have a lot of money to spend...* You thought about your present. Compared to theirs… yours was like a tiny dot. You reminded yourself that it was the thought that counts and you tried to distract yourself by looking for Lizzy. But even if you were doing something, you really wanted to give Minwoo your present. But… maybe later because the girl's fingers would strike if someone pushed them. You shuddered and walked away.

 

When you were sitting in class, you felt really tired and lazy. You were trying hard to concentrate on what Mr Song was trying to say but all you saw before everything became black was Mr Song writing up an equation on the whiteboard.

 

"Ms Kim ~~~~~!" You heard a voice that sounded like it was coming from miles away. "Ms Kim ~~~~~, I really don't have to the time to do wake you up!" Now, the voice was clearer than before. Suddenly, the voice shouted so loud that you snapped back to the real world. "MS KIM, IF YOU ARE GOING TO IGNORE ME THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL GET A DETENTION!" Your head jerked up and Mr Song was standing next to you, his face red with frustration and anger. "Ms Kim, I think that you are well aware that I don't not like students sleeping in my class." He handed you a red slip with meant lunchtime detention. You stared at the little red piece of paper just sitting there on your table. *Aish…. Why did I have to sleep during class time… ARGH! I'm so tired from making those chocolate balls for Minwoo-oppa….* You sighed and started to copy down the equation Mr Song had assigned you to do.

 

You served detention at lunch in silence. Well, even if you could talk during detention, you didn't want to. You felt heavy, tired and you had no will to do anything but just sit there. You looked up. The people who sat around you were the kind of people that looked like they got a detention everyday. They sitting on the tables, chewing gum, playing on their phones and busy putting make-up on. Your eyes then fell onto a girl sitting 5 seats in front of you. She had blond hair that seemed to be gleaming in the light and her blue eyes were very pretty. Her skin looked very soft. You felt like you had seen her somewhere before but you couldn't put your finger on it. Just then, the bell rang and you totally forgot about the girl. *I can't wait to talk with Lizzy.* You grabbed your bag and hurried out of the room.    

 

Lizzy was sitting on a bench eating her sandwich. You plopped down beside her and sighed. "Lizzy, you have no idea what serving detention is like." You looked at Lizzy. She seemed to look like she was focusing on her sandwich more than listening to you. "Ummm, Lizzy? Are you okay? Did you just hear what I just said?" Lizzy looked up at you. "Yeah. Sorry, I was guessing what was in my sandwich." You nodded slowly and opened your bag to eat your doshirak. "Hey. Why did you fall asleep during class? It's not like you to lose focus so easily." You looked at Lizzy with your tired expression. Before, you had tried to look cheerful and full of energy. But when you were by yourself, your cheerful expression faded and your fake smile dropped. "My friend, this morning at like three something in the morning. I spent about 1 hour perfecting my chocolate balls for Minwoo and I'm really tired." Lizzy nodded sympathetically. "It's okay. I know how you feel. When I have to wake up in the morning that is EXACTLY how I feel. Hey, you can sleep on my shoulders if you want for the rest of lunch." You raised your eyebrows at Lizzy. She smiled and looked down at her forehead. You smiled and rested your head against Lizzy's warm shoulders. Before you knew it, you were drifting off to sleep.

 

When Lizzy had woken you up because lunch had ended, you felt fresh and full of energy. You thanked Lizzy and she smiled. "You're welcome ~~~~~-ah. But, my -urgh- shoulders feel a bit stiff…." She held her shoulder with one hand and rolled it once. You looked sorry and hooked your around her shoulders. "Don't worry, Lizzy! Tomorrow, I will treat you to a ~~~~~ special massage!" Lizzy eyes lit up and both of you skipped to last period. However, when you were focusing hard during class, it was Minwoo's turn to lose focus. *Ahhh.. Did ~~~~~ forget my birthday? Well, I didn't even tell her so it's not surprising that she wouldn't know… But still...* Minwoo was mentally crying on the inside and started to do the hard algebra questions. 

 

Minwoo trudged home, thinking of how you "didn't know" that it was his birthday today. He deeply sighed and arrived home. From the corner of his eye, he could see that the sign was up, meaning that he had mail. *Eugh, bills. They're always asking for money…* He opened the mailbox and to his surprise, found a pretty plastic bag with decorated chocolate balls inside. He took it out and observed the inside. There was a card that read 'Happy Birthday, Minwoo! Have a great day! 'Attached to the plastic was a sticky note. Minwoo ripped it off and read it. 'Meet me in the park near your house at 4:30pm.' Minwoo looked at his watch. It was 4pm. *Hmmm… I wonder who gave me this...* Minwoo went inside to put down his heavy bag full of paper and books and started to walk towards the park.

 

You sneezed. You were wearing SNSD's Genie outfit. You were wearing Jessica's version of the outfit. It looked quite good if you do say so yourself. You had made the outfit using the fabric and other material you had back home. When you went home today, you asked your mum if you could wear her black heels. You hadn't worn high heels before and you had to walk around in circles about 4 times before getting the hang of it. You were hiding behind the toilet block, waiting for Minwoo to appear. You sneezed yet again. *Where is Minwoo? The park from his house isn't too far away is it?* You peered from behind the block when you caught a glimpse of Minwoo walking into the park. You quickly hid back and you took a deep breath. *Okay Kim ~~~~~. This maybe the most embarrassing moment of your life but… it's Minwoo's present. So…. Here goes nothing!* You played SNSD'S "Genie" on your phone and you played it as loud as it can. Then, you walked out from the toilet block and you started singing to the instrumental version. Minwoo quickly whipped around and he saw you. He laughed slightly and was watching very happily.

 

That's right, I love you. I always believe in you.

Dreams and passions, I want to give them all to you

I'm a good luck goddess that wants (wants) to make your wish come true

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for you, boy)

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for your wish)

Tell me your wish (I'm genie for your dream)

Tell only me (I'm genie for your world)

 

You had finished dancing and singing when Minwoo clapped loudly. He started walking over to you happily. "~~~~~-AH!" He jumped and hugged you tightly. You almost fell backwards because you weren't that strong and you couldn't take his weight that much. He let go but his eyes were still twinkling with happiness. "Thank you ~~~~~-ah! That was the best birthday present EVER! I loved your clothes and your voice, it's so nice!" You blushed more and more as Minwoo kept on complimenting you. You suddenly looked up. "Oh! Minwoo-oppa, Happy Birthday!" you shouted. Minwoo smiled when a sudden cool breeze kicked up. You sneezed. Minwoo quickly whipped off his school jackets and he covered you with it. "Ah, thanks! Here, use this. It's warm!" You smiled and walked back home while happily talking with Minwoo.

 

-------------------------------------------------

Sup, subbies! Yeah, this chapter may be slightly longer but, YOU'RE WITH MINWOO SO IT'S A-OKAY! :D Well subbies, keep warm and keep your body making some more vitamin D!!!!!!! ;)