The Breakfast Table

Accidents,Love&Snow;

A black minivan approaches the front gate, a while later. I looked at the security guard and gave a wave to show them that the van was for me. He exchanged a smile and waved back and told me to enjoy myself.

 

Despite wearing gloves and holding a hot drink, my hands were still cold. I slide in my right hand into the jacket pocket and waved my left hand at the approaching van.

 

The door slide opened before the van could stop in front of me and then 5 familiar voices called out my name repeatedly. The opened door stopped just in front of me and I jumped in.

 

I adjusted my messy fringe and smiled at the five boys surrounding me. I put down both my bags on my foot and slide my hand into my jacket pocket. Before I could say anything, a deep voice was heard behind me, in the driver seat.

 

"Boys, you sure you want to do this? "

 

I'm guessing it is their manager. I've heard rumours of their manager being strict and all, but there are also rumours that their manager was a nice guy.

 

I sat stiffly in my seat. Clearly, my face showed the same emotion that my body is showing too. The boys gave me encouraging looks. I trust them, so I relaxed my body a bit and let them and their managers have their conversation.

 

I kept my mouth closed and look out the black tinted windows as we passed by streets and buildings in Seoul.

 

"Yeap, we have discussed it and we are confident of our decision, " said the leader, Onew with a confident and reassuring voice.

 

It was weird to hear his voice being so confident and reassuring. It was almost as if he had the power of the group.

 

Duh, my heart whispered, after all, he is the leader. I rolled my eyes at myself and smiled. The boys saw what I did and were puzzled at what I did. I decided to save myself from another blast of questions and explanations and watched the scenery outside.

 

"Okay, if you say so, but remember to be careful. Your reputation might fall because of this. Do you all understand?"

 

"Yes!" the 5 boys replied, rolling their eyes at the warning given by their manager.

 

The manager laughed and gave me a friendly smile as if to say, Welcome to the family!

 

I tried to smile back but failed. I guess they planned something with the manager before picking me. I turned my attention to outside the window and it looks like we are almost reaching. Or maybe not. So I let out another huge and long sigh and my attention was caught again by the clouds of water vapour coming out of my mouth.

 

I tried to catch it but failed. I giggled. Unaware again, that my small play time with myself was being observed by SHINee, they laughed again at my silliness.

 

I looked up and saw them smiling and laughing at me. I smiled and then joined them laughing at my silliness.

 

"Omo! You're so cute!" said Jonghyun, as he smiled at me.

 

I blushed and tried to hide my face under my scarf. Then, I decided to do something memorable.

 

"Erm ... do you mind if I snap some pictures of you guys while we are going to eat breakfast now?"

 

They looked at each other. It seems like they were exchanging silence conversations with one another. Suddenly, they all shook their head left and right. It was a no. I wiped the smile off my face and hid my face again in my scarf. All of the sudden, a flash surprised me and the boys laugh again.

 

"What?" I gasped, stunned by their cheekiness and surprised.

 

"We are sorry but we feel that you look so cute when you are daydreaming," Onew said, his voice changed back to his gentle and soft voice.

 

"Yes, you are," Taemin said and then winked at me.

 

I slouched down in my seat shyly and my scarf rolled up onto my face. I start to think about why they were complimenting about me just now. Thank god my scarf covered my whole face.

 

I pretended to sleep when they called my name repeatedly. I tried to ignore them. Their laughter turn into murmurs and suddenly my scarf was pulled down so my face was exposed. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. Someone shook me but I didn't want to entertain them.

 

I continued staying that way and they continued murmuring to one another. The car stopped and the manager got out of the van.The door slide opened and someone shook me again. This time, I opened my eyes, pretended to yawn, grabbed my bags and made my way out first.

 

I stretched myself and breathe in the cold winter air. I coughed hard over and over. I guessed I breathe in too much cold air. Taemin and Onew came over and patted me on the back.

 

"Are you okay?" They asked, concerned about why I was coughing so hard.

 

"Yeah, I think I breathe in too much cold air." my voice choked and I coughed again, this time to clear my throat.

 

"You should not have done that. It is different here than in your country." Onew said, laughing innocently at my silliness again.

 

I nodded and then we made our way inside. The restaurant was small, and the atmosphere was very warm and homey to it. The walls were covered in doggy wallpaper and the tables were classy and small. A few people were present in the cafe but they didn't seem to care about who came in through the door.

 

Maybe they are too used to celebrities coming in and out of shops and walking on the streets, I thought to myself. I took out my coat and scarf and gave it to the waiter at the door.

 

As I did this, I didn't forget my manners. I sat on the chair opposite Onew. He gave me a reassuring smile and pat his hand over mine. My heart fluttered again.

 

I have never given the thought of meeting SHINee in person, nor have I given a thought that suddenly I would end up being friends with them.

 

So every single touch they gave me, my heart flies high. I have to start getting used to this, I thought to myself and making it noted in my mind. The boys were ordering their food and recommended some dishes.

 

Key, having to be the motherly figure of the group, as I heard about it over the internet and all, recommend me a few dishes that I must try. So I picked the Super Shining Breakfast set and order a hot chocolate. The waiter took the menus and walked off.

 

I looked at him walked behind the counter and was suddenly interested in him and his colleagues preparing our breakfast. Jonghyun diverted my attention away by calling my name.

 

"Yes, oppa?"

 

"Do you want to know why the food you order is called Super Shining Breakfast set? There is a story behind it,"

 

"What is it?" I asked, curious.

 

"When we first debut, our sunbaes, Super Junior brought us here to eat breakfast," Jonghyun explained, excited.

 

"Oh,"

 

"Yeah," Minho continued, "Hyung, don't you remember that day?"

 

"Yeah, I remembered. Shindong and Donghae together with Key and Taemin worked behind the counter to make that breakfast set!" Onew grinned, recalling the day clearly with the group.

 

"Wow," I grinned at their sharing experience with me. 

 

The manager came to join us at the table moments later after he has ended his call. He smiled at all of us. I felt his eyes laid on me and I bowed shyly to him, biting my lip nervously. 

 

At first, I thought he was going to give me a warning and all but his facial expression changed into a friendly smile. Again, a small sigh slipped out of my lips.

 

"Okay, let's start off this meeting with the latest topic, your album. " He said and continued on with news from the company and their schedules which is due to start a week later.

 

I realised that Taemin is still schooling. So the next few weeks they will be busy with fan meet sessions, mini appearances on shows and all sorts. I didn't want to be part of the conversation so I diverted my attention back to the waiter behind the counter.

 

The smell of freshly cooked eggs and toasted bread filled my nose. I closed my eyes and inhale it slowly.

 

Yum! I thought to myself, and slowly rubbing my hand over my stomach. Our orders came and we set in front of us. Everyone thanked the waiter and the manager gave him a tip. I slowly dig into my food.

 

Suddenly, Key nudged me. I look up, my mouth full of toasts and eggs. Everyone diverted their attention on me. I almost spat out because it was another embarrassing moment, not in front of SHINee but in front of their manager too! Oh! What bad manners I have! 

 

Unfortunately, I didn't spit out the food but end up choking on it. Everyone laughed and Key patted my back while I coughed and drank my hot chocolate down slowly so that my food won't get stuck in my throat. I was then surprised to hear what the manager said.

 

"Oh no... what a mess you are,"

 

He chuckled and drank his coffee slowly. He looked at the boys and then look at me and smiled again.

 

"I'm sorry," I apologised quietly and looked down.

 

"There's no need to be sorry," Onew reassured me and pat my hand gently.

 

"Yeah, you're way funnier than Onew hyung! " Taemin smiled at me, making my heart raced again.

 

"Onew Sangtae is not funny at all." The members agreed while shaking their heads in disappointment.

 

"Hey!" Onew shouted at them, getting a little mad at what they were saying.

 

While witnessing this, I couldn't help but smile. Then the smile turned into fits of giggles. Not before long, I started laughing out loud that I had to close my mouth to show courtesy.

 

Everyone stared at first. Then they joined in the laughter. The manager too, can't help himself but join in too. We all stopped laughing when Minho reminded them of the time and our schedule.

 

"Our schedule?" I asked, puzzled to why he said our schedule and looking at me.

 

"Yeah, we have discussed with our manager that we will be accompanying you in the meantime" Jonghyun replied, elated with the decision that he and Onew high-fived across the table.

 

The manager shook his head but an apologetic smile covered his face.

 

"I apologise on behalf but the boys are going to stress you out and make you exhausted after the whole schedule they planned for you," the manager told me.

 

"Oh my," I said and then smacked my hands on my face.

 

I can't believe this is happening.

 

I am going to be spending the whole day and most probably almost every day with my favourite group, SHINee. I had to breathe in and out over and over to calm myself down.

 

"Oh, I can't wait, " said Minho, looking at my direction and suddenly doing his signature wink at me. I almost fainted but then thought that something like this is not a situation for me to faint into.

 

I quickly eat in silence and heard all conversations that the SHINee members were having. While I was eating, Taemin and Minho kept glancing at me. I quickly finished up and then excused myself to the ladies.

 

I quickly took another dose of painkillers in the ladies, taking a deep breath as I swallowed them and look in the mirror. My head was hurting internally and I cursed slightly, heading out just as they finished their meeting. 

 

I smile quietly, reassuring them to get their meeting wrapped up. 

 

"So where are you going for now?" Key asked me, sipping his coffee. 

 

"I need to unpack and get some stuff from the university," I whispered. 

 

"Can we.." I heard Taemin asked just as their manager shook his head at the idea. 

 

Taemin sulked and Minho rubbed his back slightly. Taemin let him, keeping quiet and sulked slightly. I smiled reassuringly at them and told them that I will be alright. Onew grinned and nodded, looking at me. 

 

"Do let us know if you need any help," He grinned. 

 

"Yes, I will," I said, grinning just as their manager went to get the bill and paid for breakfast. 

 

I quickly took out some notes and pass to him, "Manager-sshi... here is for the breakfast," 

 

"Hye Rim-ah," Their manager spoke and smiled at me, "Its fine," 

 

I bit my lip and pouted slightly and he pats my hand gently. I nodded and keep the notes, shaking slightly. I noticed and cursed mentally as I stood up after they all did. The boys were talking among themselves, grinning and playing around. I watched them and stood outside their van as they all board the van. 

 

"Quickly," Jonghyun grin and looked at me, "We will bring you home," 

 

"It is fine, oppa," I said, smiling slightly and hide my shaking hands, "I saw a departmental store along the way and will head there," 

 

"Oh," Jonghyun nodded, tilting his head and watch me, "Are you okay?" 

 

"Yes!" I said all too sudden and looked at him and the rest of them in the van. 

 

"Thank you for the breakfast!" I said, bowing to them a little too fast. My head spun slightly and their voice chorus together to say their farewells. 

 

Jonghyun looked at me, watching me with worried eyes. I quickly darted my eyes away and watch the van leave. Once it was out of sight, I grabbed the nearby tree and breathed hard. 

 

I felt my whole body crumble and I groaned in pain. A passer-by came over and quickly assisted me, asking me if I was fine. I shook my head and groaned, rubbing my head. I was sweating, panting and tried to breathe slowly. 

 

My vision was getting blurry and I felt my body crumbled. My vision turned dark and I was passed out on the sidewalk where the van had left me. 
 


* * * * * 

"How is she?" 

 

The nurse looked up to see a man had removed his face mask. She gasped when she realised who it was and blinked, biting her lip and hugged the clipboard to her chest. She looked around and realise the curtains had been drawn around the patient's bed. 

 

"Sh-she is..she is just suffering slight trauma," The nurse stammered, "By chance, do you know what had happened to her?" 

 

The man shook his head and looked at the patient, his eyes wavering slightly. He rubbed his face and looked at the patient slightly. The accident was supposed to be under covers. However, he felt guilty that the incident happened. 

 

The nurse bit her lip until her lips turned pale. The man glances at her slightly. 

 

"Don't tell anyone of my presence. Including the patient, please?" He whispered, smiling at her slightly. 

 

The nurse was flattered, her cheeks red with embarrassment. Shyly, she tucked a few strands of her hair behind her ear and battered her eyelashes at the man. 

 

"Also, may I know when she will get discharged?" 

 

"Oh," She fumbled with the clipboard and looked at the diagnosis, "We are keeping her in observation overnight... She will be discharged tomorrow," 

 

"Thank you," The man grins charmingly and lets the nurse go. 

 

He raised his hand and touched the forehead of the patient gently. She was running a fever, her face pale. He watched her from afar as she got pulled in to the Emergency Room and was treated. The doctor had sent her to get a scan and check if there is anything else wrong. 

 

Jonghyun had stopped a man who was making his way into the Emergency Room and told him to inform the doctor that there was a news she got into an accident two nights before. The doctor heard the man's words and quickly did additional tests to make sure she was alright in and out. 

 

Jonghyun watched patiently, wearing a disguise and sat in the waiting room as he watched the doctors and nurses checking up on her once in a while. It was growing late and the patients' visitorship had fallen through the night before he made his way to her bed and watched her. 

 

"I'm sorry on everyone's behalf on this," He whispered, taking a towel from the side table and wiped her face down gently. 

 

Hyerim fidgeted slightly and mewled under her breath. She could not open her eyes as the fever was running high. Jonghyun wiped her down once and heard a text from his phone. 

 

"Hyung..Where are you?" 

 

Taemin had texted him, probably noticing that Jonghyun had not returned since it was late. Jonghyun texted back to say he will return soon. 

 

He glanced at the clock on the wall and left a note on the side table. He wore his face mask again before he left the hospital quietly.