First Day Of Snow

Accidents,Love&Snow;

The cold biting wind sends shivers down my spine as I approach the automatic glass doors at Incheon Airport. For the first time ever, I'm experiencing snowfall. Coming from a sunny and humid country, picturing snow was always my habit during the month of December. So having to come all the way to South Korea in the winter time was bad for me.

" Ah, chooo ~! " I sneezed.

I tucked my hands even more into my winter jacket that my mum bought for me for this trip. I stood outside the airport doors, looking around mindlessly at the foreign surroundings. I let out a huge sigh. Small clouds came out of my mouth as I did it. Fascinated as I was, I did it a few times, unaware of people staring at me strangely. I caught myself giggling into my wool brown scarf. I stood there for a few minutes, my orange luggage beside me. A taxi stopped in front of me and I jumped in.

A few months ago, I took Korean lessons at the nearby community centre. So, when asked about where I wanted to go, I immediately replied. In Korean, of course. Happy with the small conversation I had in Korean, I was on the way to the hostel I'm going to stay at. I fell asleep in the cab and dreamt of my home and the conversation I had with my parents.

**** **** ****

I sat down, rubbing both my palms together, nervously. I look everywhere except for my parents who sat in front of me. I remembered them saying that they will respect my decisions, no matter what. I tried to picture how their reaction would be like when I spill the beans to them.

"Mum, Dad, I want to migrate to Seoul "

Their expressions were shocked and taken aback by my sudden decision. It has been my dream to go to Seoul, ever since the Korean wave hit the country a few years back. And my whole room was covered with Kpop idol posters. Even most of my stuff was imported from Korea but I will never be a Korean. My parents know my love for Kpop is huge and they respect my privacy and love for it. However, never did they knew that all of the sudden I have made the decision to move there myself.

All I could imagine in their minds now is me, all alone in a foreign country. Being robbed or or even lost my own identity. I reassured them what my true reasons are to go to Seoul. I have planned this, during the beginning of the Korean wave, to study in one of Korea's top colleges. I secretly sent my application with the help of the Korea Embassy in my country and of course, I got accepted. Elated with myself after receiving the results a few hours ago at the embassy and getting congratulated by Mdm Park, who help me with my application, now facing a state of explaining and acceptance by my parents, who are now, as I could see, rooted to the seats.

The next few days, work out well as I expected. My parents accepted my decision and went shopping for my winter wear and my long periods of stay at Korea. I could see in their eyes, especially my mum, that they were happy for me studying abroad but they could not hide their true feelings from me. Having to be their eldest daughter, I have suffered a lot while growing up. Both mentally and physically. But I have never ever given up my love and loyalty to my family. I was scared to see my youngest brother seeing me leaving him for a few years, only coming back during school breaks, at the airport. He is 14 years old. I trust him that he can take care of himself. I trust him to look after my parents during my absence.

Tears rolled down both my mum and dad's eyes when they sent me off at the airport. My brother shouting words of encouragement after I pass the checkout counter and turned into the waiting area. I took a last glimpse of them, smiling happily at me, proud of their daughter and sister studying abroad.

**** **** ****

The taxi driver stopped in front of the hostel. He got my luggage out from the back of the car and is tapping my shoulders to wake me up from my sleep. I took a glance at the taxi fare at the fare counter and paid him. I bowed and thanked him as he did the same. I took a step back and look at the building standing in front of me. I had to approach the security guard to let him know that I'm staying here permanently and to collect my room card and my pass. I thanked him and smiled as I walked towards the building.

I took in the whole apartment when I opened the door. The cosy and warm ambience reminded me of home back in my country. I smiled and felt something stuck in my throat upon realising the thought. I felt something wet rolling down my cheek and my heart was slightly crushed. I started to cry out tears as I remembered my family. I miss them, I really do. I covered my mouth and fell onto the floor, weeping. Suddenly, I felt scared and regretful thoughts on my decision start to scare me. I blame myself. However, I recollected myself after a while, realising that I was in Korea and not in my home country anymore, I wiped the tears, breathe in the cold air and grabbed my luggage into my room.

A few moments after settling in and unpacking my things, I pack a small bag and decided to explore the rest of Seoul. I reach for my camera bag and walked out of the door.