Excusable Lies

Remember Me

 

[April 2010]

[Daesung POV]

“Oh, Jiyoung-ah.” I mumble. The guys suddenly turn silent once they hear me say her name. Jiyong and YoungBae share a look of disgust. I roll my eyes and leave the room. I sit on my bed in my room.

“Where are you, oppa?” Jiyoung asks, her voice cheerful.

“At my house. Wae?”

“Because appa and umma are wondering why we’re here so early.”

I slap my forehead. Crap, I haven’t thought of an excuse yet. Jiyoung and I weren’t supposed to come back to Korea until July. But, we came back here just a few weeks ago. We came back because… because of Mi Sun. Of course it’s because of her. When Seunghyun hyung contacted me, saying that Mi Sun was showing some signs of waking up, I was already packing.

I didn’t really give Jiyoung an excuse. She assumed it was because I had another set of meetings in Korea, and I didn’t feel like correcting her. Besides, I know she’d go insane if I told her that we were returning just for another girl. Jiyoung and her parents don’t know anything about Mi Sun or my past. Apparently, they don’t really seem to care.

“Wait. Appa wants to talk to you.” Jiyoung says.

“Wait, what? Jiyoung, I—“

“Hello, Daesung.” A deep, manly voice greets on the other line.

“H-hello, s-sir.” I stutter.

He chuckles. “Don’t be so nervous, Daesung. I’m not going to bite; you know that. My wife and I are just curious why you guys came back so early.”

I gulp. “Well, I had some business to attend over here. It’s something I couldn’t miss.” I say. Well, it really isn’t a lie, right?

“Ah, I see. That’s funny, your father didn’t tell me anything about that.” He replies. I wipe my hands on my legs, trying to take away the sweat forming.

“It’s a personal kind of business. Don’t tell my father, but it’s something extra for my company.” I lie.

“Oh! Well, then I completely understand. That’s nice. You’re doing something on your own. I’m sure you’re doing your father proud.”

“Neh.” I answer. That’s all I can say. I don’t want to say any more lies. He gives the phone back to his daughter.

“Oppa, we are going back to America, right?” Jiyoung asks.

I bite my lip. I’m not sure about that. Mi Sun just woke up and I really want to see her again. But she can’t remember me. How can I talk and see her again then? Maybe I can refresh her memory by going to our special place… No, I don’t think I’m ever going back to America until Mi Sun gets her memory back.

“Oppa?” Jiyoung calls on the other side.

“Yes, we’re going back soon.” I blurt out. I slam my head against the wall, making a loud bang.

“Oppa? Are you okay?” Jiyoung asks, sounding worried.

I sigh and close my eyes tightly. “Yes, yes I’m fine.”

“Good! So, when are we going back? You know I want I want to get married in America, oppa.”

“What?” I shout, surprised. I open my eyes wide open.

“Hmm? What’s wrong, oppa?”

“What did you just say?” I ask, hoping she didn’t just say what I thought she just said.

“Oh, remember? On our flight to America, I told you I wanted to get married in America? Come on, Daesung oppa. Don’t you remember it?”

I growl silently as I shut my eyes close once more. “Of course I remember it.” I mumble. Aish, how could I forget it? I spent days just thinking about it. Now that Mi Sun is awake. Should I still follow through on the marriage?

“Great! I have to go now, oppa. I have lunch meeting to prepare for tomorrow. You’re picking me up, right?” She asks.

“Neh.” I repeat. Since when did I become so speechless? I talk almost every day in front of tons of people for crying out loud!

“Okay, oppa. See you tomorrow!” Then she hangs up.

I throw my phone on my bed and start banging my head on the wall numerous times.

“Hyung! Have you gone mad?” Seungri shouts, hearing my head banging.

“Maybe I have.” I answer softly.

~O~O~

“Oh, hello. You’re Kang Daesung, right?”

I nod, not really trusting my voice right now. Just seeing Mi Sun makes my heart jump for joy, but her asking who I am just tears me apart.

“Who’s he?” She asks, pointing to Seunghyun hyung behind me.

“I’m Choi Seunghyun. Nice to meet you, Mi Sun-shi.” Hyung says, reaching out for a handshake. Mi Sun smiles and shakes his hand.

“Nice to meet you. Um, who are they?” She asks once the other three enter the room. Jiyong, YoungBae, and Seungri introduce themselves.

I stay in the back of the room as I silently watch them converse. I twitch whenever I see her show that breath-taking smile. Why am I bringing myself so much pain? Oh right, it’s because I miss seeing her, and because I feel guilty. Ever since that day I left with Jiyoung to go to America, I completely forgot about Mi Sun. I gave up hope about her waking up a long time go. That’s why I left Korea so easily, so freely. Now, I feel like kicking myself for feeling that way.

Seeing that smile on her face… makes me want to turn back time and stay by her side no matter what. I left her in a coma, with nobody visiting her.

“Daesung-shi.”

I snap out of my thoughts and meet Mi Sun’s brown eyes. I feel my knees go weak in just one second. But I also feel a stab in my heart as I hear her call me formally. Mi Sun never called me formally, even when we first met. This proves that she doesn’t remember me, and it’s breaking my heart into pieces.

Mi Sun-ah, please remember me soon. Take me out of misery, I plead silently as I plaster a smile on my face. At least I should try smiling…