Sudden Remembrance

Remember Me

 

[May 2009]

[Mi Sun POV]

I feel like giving up.

I haven’t heard that voice in so long already. Since I’m still underwater, I can’t tell how long it’s been. After a long thought, that voice sounded like a guy. I wonder whose voice that belongs to. I don’t remember hearing that voice anywhere.

Nevertheless, I’m still in the harsh waters, struggling.

I don’t know how much I can take before the dark depths pull me in completely. Without that voice, I have no strength to try and pull myself towards the surface. Without hearing that voice for who knows how long already, I forgot how it even sounded like. Was it high-pitched? Was it rough? I’m getting scared. I know I already lost my memory…

I don’t want to lose that voice, too.

~O~O~

[Author POV]

“Oppa, where are you going?”

Daesung flashes a smile as he sees Jiyoung pout. “Another meeting.” He says as he puts on his shoes.

“Again? Can you take me with you this time?” Jiyoung asks. She sits down next to him and tries to look at his face, but he’s too focused on putting on his shoes. She suddenly smiles. “You’re wearing the shoes I gave you for your birthday.”

Daesung chuckles. “Of course I am. I wouldn’t let a good present go to waste.”

“You’re changing the subject.”

Daesung chuckles once more. He straightens up and looks at Jiyoung. He places a kiss on her cheek. “I can’t this time. This meeting is more private.”

Jiyoung pouts, but nods. Daesung smiles at his girlfriend’s face. She’s just too cute at times. Jiyoung fixes the buttons on her boyfriend’s shirt. She rolls her eyes as she sees a stain on the collar. She reaches up and kisses Daesung before he leaves for another meeting. Jiyoung waves until the car is out of sight. She goes back inside her house and starts reading a book in her room, waiting for Daesung to come back soon.

Meanwhile, Daesung was already running late for his meeting. This is one of the meetings he can’t miss. This is one of the meetings that gives his family’s company that one more step closer to success. His parents are counting on Daesung to do well. Minutes later, Daesung was already rushing through the lobby. He manages to snag an empty elevator.

Seeing his reflection, Daesung starts fixing his hair and clothes. While doing so, his keys to his car drops. Daesung bends down to pick it up when one of the key chains on the ring catches his eyes. He straightens up and looks at it. Like being hit by a bullet, a picture passes through his mind.

In his hand was a name dangling through a piece of yarn. Daesung grips the key chain tightly in his hand as he leans his back against the wall. He bows his head and closes his eyes. He was frozen from the sudden appearance of a figure in his head and the sudden emotion rising in him.

“Mi Sun-ah…” His voice fades.

The elevator dings and the doors open. But the man stays in his position, trying to regain his strength. With a big breath, he opens his eyes and walks out the elevator. He knows that he has 5 minutes left before the meeting starts, and he’ll take advantage of it. Daesung sits down on the nearest chair and covers his face with his hands. All the pain just came back.

He stopped visiting her.

It was the year of 2009 and it was a new start. That’s what Daesung needed, according to his parents. He had no choice, but to go along with it. He knew he had a lot on his plate before he even started studying business. Plus, it saved him from any more pain. But it looks like he was wrong. In just one small key chain, it already brought all the pain back. How come I never noticed that key chain before? I’m so stupid, he thought.

“Kang Daesung-shi?”

Daesung raises his head up. He immediately stands up and bows for he recognizes the older man. It was Choi Seunghyun, his business partner and friend. Seunghyun was the guy who Daesung and Mi Sun crashed into a few years ago. Seunghyun and Daesung quickly became friends. In fact, they became really close. There were even some times when Seunghyun would accompany Daesung whenever he would visit Mi Sun.

But it turns out that Seunghyun is also into the business world. Seunghyun’s father works at Daesung’s father’s company. So, Seunghyun follows his father’s steps and works with Daesung. In this company building, they’re business partners and only business partners. Outside the building and work, they’re the best of friends and they hang out with the other three guys.

“Are you okay?” Seunghyun asks. His voice is still business-like, but in his eyes, he’s worried for his friend.

“I’m fin—“ Daesung clears his throat for his voice was hoarse. “I’m fine.”

Seunghyun nods even though he doesn’t believe his friend’s assurance. “Shall we go to the meeting now?”

I have to forget. It’s like a lost cause now. I have more important stuff to work on nowadays. I’m not that reckless, love-struck teenager anymore. I can’t keep worrying about Mi Sun anymore. I don’t think she’ll wake up anyways. I’m giving up hope. I’m sorry, Mi Sun, he thought.

“Neh. Let’s go. Fighting.” Daesung tells Seunghyun as they enter the room. Daesung quickly forgets about his first love once he starts talking about his soon-to-be company.