New-Formed Friendship

Remember Me

 

[June 2010]

[Mi Sun POV]

“Unnie, I had so much fun with you!” Jiyoung exclaims, smiling at me.

I return her smile, feeling the same. I actually did have fun with Jiyoung. She really is a down to earth and upbeat person. Even though her activeness does tire me, it amuses me, too. She’s like a little sister I never had.

“How about I hide our bag in my room until the real thing, neh?” Jiyoung asks, shaking the bags in her hands. I grip my own bags, feeling a little shy.

“Okay, but you know… You really didn’t have to buy my stuff, too.” I say, looking down at the bags that contain expensive stuff. I mean all my stuff in total cost 2,000 dollars!

She shrugs it off with a smile. “Stop worrying about it, unnie. I’m not rich for nothing.” She giggles. “Besides, I’ve never gone shopping with anyone but my mother before. It’s a nice feeling.” She sighs.

I glance at her, taking in her looks. She really is a beautiful girl. I envy her, really. Not just because she has the man my heart beats for, but because behind that pretty face… She has a really kind heart. Guilt wracks my own heart whenever she talks about her relationship with Daesung.

It turns out that they’ve been dating for two years already. There was a point where I wondered where I was during those two years… But what bothers me is that I can’t remember. My mind always comes up blank, dark.

“Oh! Daesung oppa is already here! Wow, he’s on time.” She says, pointing to the car in front of her house. We park the car and Jiyoung excitedly runs into the house, forgetting me in the process.

I chuckle at her hyper atmosphere and follow her inside. Jiyoung’s mom welcomes me. “Hello, sweetie. Did you have fun?” She asks, picking up the bags Jiyoung carelessly drops on her way in.

“Yes, I did. Jiyoung’s a great person to talk to.” I walk towards her, extending my hands. “Let me take those.”

“Oh, thank you, sweetie. I’m sorry, but I’m not as strong as I used to be anymore.” She laughs. “Must be a sign to start exercising.”

I smile. “But your body already looks great. I’m actually jealous.” I joke, kind of serious in a way. Her body is amazing. It’s all curvy and toned… I am kind of jealous.

“Oh, don’t try to kiss up.” She nudges me playfully. I smile; for some reason, I wish I had her as a mother. That’s another thing. Whenever I try to rack my brain about my own mother, I also come up blank. It’s really weird…

Jiyoung’s mother goes her separate ways and goes to the kitchen. I walk into the living room, struggling with all the bags in my hands and arms. Then my arms suddenly go limp as I see another heartbreak. The bags all of a sudden feel like I’m weighing cinder blocks on my arms.

Right in the middle of the living room, there was Jiyoung being held by Daesung. I came in right in time to see their lips touch. Blinking my eyes rapidly, I look away, not wanting to interrupt their moment. But I can’t move, as if my body wants me to take in that Daesung would never be mine.

I continue to stand there silently, feeling like a fool. I hear their lips part, making me wince.

“Mi Sun-ah!” I hear his voice, raspy.

I finally gather the will to look at them. Jiyoung still had her arms around Daesung, smiling like a child who received a puppy for Christmas. I roll my eyes. “It’s about time you two stopped faces.” I comment, feeling a little satisfied I said it even if it wasn’t in a way I wanted it to intend.

Jiyoung giggles. “Oh, unnie, you actually make me blush.” I crack a smile.

“Let me help you with those.” Daesung mumbles, already at my side. I feel the heavy weight come off my arms. I breathe a sigh of relief. Daesung places them on the couch. Curious written all over his face, he reaches his hand out to peek in the bags. Both Jiyoung and I stop him at the same time.

“What?” He asks, surprised.

“It’s a secret.” Jiyoung giggles, winking at me. I could only smile back. Daesung looks between us, his eyebrows furrowing.

“Jiyoung,” I call to her. She looks at me with a smile on her face. “Don’t you have something to tell your Daesung oppa?” I feel Daesung’s gaze hit me as I say the last three words. I keep my eyes on Jiyoung, clenching my hands into fists.

“Oh, you’re right, unnie!” She turns to Daesung. “You should sit down for this, oppa. It’s huge news!”

Daesung complies and I start to go to the kitchen, letting them be alone.

“Where are you going, Mi Sun-ah?” I hear Daesung ask. I stop in my tracks, my back facing them. I look over my shoulder, a smile on my face.

“I’m going to go help Mrs. Kang with dinner. You two should have some alone time.” I say, not really looking at Daesung.

“But—“ He starts.

“No buts.” I cut him off. “Your girlfriend wants to tell you something important and you should listen to her.” I say, feeling a needle pin hit my heart once I say those words.

“Thank you, unnie.” Jiyoung says, rolling her eyes.

I run off to the kitchen after I hear Jiyoung call his attention once more. I bow once I see Mrs. Kang washing her hands. She smiles in return. “Hello, Mi Sun. What brings you here?” She asks.

“I just thought that maybe I can help you with dinner.” I reply.

“Oh! How very kind of you. Here,” She hands me a bunch of vegetables. “Cut those for me, will you sweetie?” I nod my head and focus my attention on cutting the vegetables. “So, do you know what the important news is?” She asks me after a long silence. I shake my head, taken aback at her sudden question.

“Do you want to know?” She nudges me again, lifting her eyebrows. She giggles playfully.

I laugh. “I shouldn’t be meddling in others’ business.”

“Oh come on. I’m part of it, and I’m willing to tell you.” She laughs. “Come on. You know you want to~” She sings.

I bite my lip.