Giving It Another Shot

Remember Me

 

[May 2010; Days Later]

[Mi Sun POV]

“Come on, let’s go out.” He says, throwing me a water bottle.

“Don’t you have work?” I ask, gripping the bottle.

He shakes his head as he drinks from the water. I silently watch as a drop of it misses his mouth and trails from the corner of his mouth down his chin. I shudder and look away. These past few days, despite him working so much, Daesung always manages to spend some time with me. Not that I’m complaining or not that I’m bragging, but he really doesn’t have to do that. I know he’s really busy with work and all. I’m going to have to talk to him about this.

“Daesung…” I call to him.

He stops drinking and smiles. “Yes?”

“I—Where are we going?” I change my words. Yes, I chickened out. Even though he should focus on his job more… I can’t help, but feel selfish inside. He makes me happy, comfortable. A sigh escapes my lips. I’m so selfish…

“Let’s go.” He takes my hand and leads us out the door. “We should get there before everyone else does.”

“Everyone else?” I wonder out loud.

He simply smiles and we get in the car. Once on the road, Daesung says, “By the way, thank you for cleaning my house every once in a while.” He chuckles.

“Yeah, yeah.” I wave it off, a smile on my face. “Your cleaning supplies were crap, though.”

“Oh, I didn’t even know I had those.” Daesung mumbles sheepishly, glancing at me. “But they look new.”

“That’s because I bought those recently and threw the old ones away.”

“How did you manage to go to the store without me then?”

I roll my eyes. “I flew to the market.”

He swiftly pinches my cheek. “Don’t act so cute.” Heat rushes up to my cheeks, and I look away so he won’t see it. “So, how did you really get to the market? Did one of my friends bring you?”

“No, I drove there myself.” I say, remembering the weird incident in the car a few days ago. Actually, I’m still in shock. I don’t know what came over me.

“Really?” Daesung yells, his voice high. He looks at me in disbelief.

“Yah! Eyes on the road! You could get us killed.” I scold. His eyes widen and he shakes his head furiously, but turns his attention back on the road.

“You really drove?” He asks softly, as if in deep thought.

“Yes. Now, will you tell me where we’re going?” I ask.

“Amazing.” He murmurs softly, obviously ignoring me.

~O~O~

[Daesung POV]

She actually remembered.

I feel like shouting my lungs out. She actually remembered! Even if it’s just about driving, I can’t believe she remembered. As far as I know, she didn’t know how to drive right after she woke up. I still have a chance…

I hear her squeal. I laugh and park the car, feeling light. I rush over and open her car door. She takes my extended hand and gets out. She starts jumping beside me as I lock the car doors.

“An amusement park?” She squeals.

I nod my head, smiling. “You like them, right?”

“Of course! Come on, I wanna get to the rides before other people do.” She pulls on my hand and starts running, dragging me along.

Before, Mi Sun and I would always go to this amusement park every year. It was our tradition. I’ve already missed it twice when Mi Sun was still in her coma, and I’m not going to miss it again even though Mi Sun has memory loss.

“You want to go on this one first?” I ask in disbelief. I look up at the ride, hiding another smile. This was always the first ride we would go on to.

“Yes! It looks fun.” She smiles.

I look down, at our twined hands. I bet she doesn’t even realize it. I squeeze it, like I always do. “It is fun.” I mumble.

“You’ve ridden it before?”

“Of course! I rode it with—“ I stop myself.

“With who?”

“My friends.” I lie. She nods her head and looks up at the ride again. Friends, my , I thought. They don’t even know about this. I don’t bring them here because I know we’ll make chaos. It’s how we goof off; putting on masks and clown around the place. But I don’t want this place tainted with Seunghyun hyung and Seungri’s stupidity. This place is only for Mi Sun and I, no one else.

“Next in line!” A voice shouts.

“That’s us. Let’s go!” Mi Sun squeals, pulling me along with her.

By the time we got off the ride a few minutes later, I relaxed. It was like we were those lovesick teenagers again. Only this time, maybe, just maybe, there won’t be anything getting in our way.