Following The Advise

Remember Me

 

[June 2010; That Afternoon]

[Daesung POV]

“I’m assume that she remembered some things before, but forgot about them once something else enters her mind.”

I stare at Dr. Yang, still not comprehending. Mi Sun is cleaning herself up a little bit in the bathroom while I talk to Dr. Yang outside.

Dr. Yang sighs, probably seeing the clueless look on my face. “For example, if you did something to trigger her memory…” He blinks at me. “Like kissing her.”

I feel myself blush madly. “What about it?”

“If things like that trigger her memory, then she’ll probably remember it. But, for example, what if something—like your friends—interrupted? She’ll forget about the memory and focus on what’s happening now. It’s like a distraction.”

I nod, finally understanding. “But there were some times where she says things that she’s said before. What’s that about?”

Dr. Yang runs his hand through his hair, thinking. He then smiles gently at me. “Then maybe her memories of you are strong.”

I smile at that, feeling joy. “Thank you so much for helping.”

He laughs quietly. “Maybe you should tell Mi Sun that. She’s the one whose been fighting for the both of you.” I laugh along with him until we quiet down. I glance at the bathroom door, hearing Mi Sun humming our song. I smile contentedly. I then feel Dr. Yang’s hand on my shoulder and I look back at him.

“Daesung, you seem like a very unique and kind boy. I’m sure you love Mi Sun very much…?” Dr. Yang trails off, making it sound like a question.

“Of course I love her. With my whole life.” I swear.

Dr. Yang looks at me sternly. “Then I suggest you put the other girl’s heart at rest. I don’t think you want to be in another game between heaven and hell.”

With that, he turns around and starts walking away. “Mi Sun’s free to go.” I hear him shout on his way to another patient’s room.

“Did he say I could leave?” Mi Sun asks, bursting out the door.

I smile tightly and nod. She gives me her heart-stopping smile and kisses my lips gently. I close my eyes and commit the feel to memory—another for the collection. As we break away, I weave my fingers through hers and we walk out of the hospital. My car, parked all the way in the front, was already running its engine. I didn’t want Mi Sun to freeze to death.

Once on the road, she says, “What happened to my mother?”

Caught by surprise, I swerve the car a little. I raise my other arm and hold it out in front of Mi Sun, just in case she was going to fold over. She slaps my arm away with a soft chuckle.

“Paranoid, aren’t we?” She remarks.

I pinch her side playfully. “Stop being cute. It’s distracting me.” I smile widely as I hear her giggle.

Silence.

“What happened to my mother?” She repeats, her voice low.

I sigh as I take a glance at her. She looks back at me with a questioning gaze. As I turn my focus back on the road, I say, “Remember when I took you to that old neighborhood during your, um, memory loss?”

“Yes.” She answers quietly. “I can’t believe I couldn’t remember my own childhood place.”

“While you were distracted with other things, I snuck away and went to your house. I wanted to see if your mother was still there. I thought that, maybe, she could refresh your memory if I couldn’t.” I tell her. I reposition my grip on the steering wheel as I feel her burning gaze. “She wasn’t there anymore.”

I hear her let out a sigh as she leans back on her seat. I feel her grip my other hand. “That’s predictable.”

I don’t reply, but bite my lip instead. The rest of the car ride was silent until we got to my house. Mi Sun slams the car door and runs inside, giggling once again. A smile slowly creeps my lips as I follow her inside.

“It’s nice that you have your own house now!” She exclaims, plopping onto the couch. “Remember when we talked about having our own house?”

I nod as I walk over to her, smiling. I lean down and softly kiss her lips. Ah, it’s been a while since I felt her lips recognize mine. I pull away and look at her up and down. “Yah! Eyes from the neck and up.” She punches my arm.

I smile playfully. “That’s okay, too.” I laugh as I start trailing kisses from her jaw to her collarbone. I hear her gasp and place her hands on my neck. I smile, grazing my teeth again her skin. She shudders at my motion. How I miss doing this, how I miss feeling her.

“I suggest you put the other girl’s heart at rest.”

I pull away as Dr. Yang’s words ring in my head. “What’s wrong?” Mi Sun asks, looking up at me. She rises up from the couch and holds my face in one of her hands.

“Jiyoung.” I mumble.

Mi Sun’s hand slips off my cheek and lands back to her side. We stare right into each other’s eyes, not needing words to communicate. After a while, she looks away, turning her head to face the window.

“Go.” She whispers.

“Mi Sun-ah, I—“

“It’s fine. Just go. I’m sure she needs you more than me right now.” She murmurs. She looks back at me, a gentle smile grazing her lips. She hands me my jacket and keys. Ushering me to the door, she says once more, “Go on.”

I give her one last glance and start walking towards my car. My hand hovers above the door handle and I stare at the reflection of Mi Sun in the window. As if on instinct, I quickly turn back around and gather her warm body in my arms. I gently kiss her lips one more time before pulling away and heading for my car.

As I drive off, I look in the rearview mirror, Mi Sun standing still just at the doorway, watching me. With many sighs escaping my lips, I step on the gas and speed off.

The faster I get this over with, the faster my heart and mind will finally be at peace.