A Troubled Triangle

Remember Me

 

[June 2010]

[Daesung POV]

“Where are you, oppa?” Jiyoung asks through the phone.

“At home.” I say a little white lie.

Jiyoung giggles. “Come over later, will you? Around 3 p.m. I want to see you again. Besides, I have good news to tell you!”

“Okay.” I blurt. I close my eyes in frustration. “Is ‘your Mi Sun unnie’ there?” I ask, mocking what Mi Sun said earlier without realizing it.

“Oh, she’s right here. Hold on.” Jiyoung says.

“Yoboseyo?” Mi Sun’s voice enters my ears.

“Mi Sun-ah. Where are you? And why are you with Jiyoung?” I ask in a rush, suddenly wanting answers.

She sighs. “I can’t talk right now… I,”

“Unnie! Look at this!”

She sighs once more. “Look, Jiyoung is calling me.”

“But, I—“ I start.

“Goodbye, Daesung.” She cuts me off, ending the phone call there.

~O~O~

[June 2010; The Afternoon]

I drum my fingers all over the place, impatiently waiting. At 2 p.m., I was already waiting outside Jiyoung’s house. The curiosity and anxiousness was killing me after that phone call. I mean why the hell are they together? In fact, how did they get together? I’m just going to have to talk to Mi Sun once we get back home. Better yet…

Beep! Beep!

I jump in my seat and turn of the alarm on my phone, exactly 3 o’clock. Yes, I did set a timer for 3 p.m. It shows how anxious I am, and it also shows how stupid, too. I climb out of my car and head straight for the door, knocking with a steady beat. Jiyoung’s mother opens the door, greeting me with a motherly smile. I bow and flash her a smile.

“Daesung-ah, what are you doing here?” She asks.

“Jiyoung told me to come over. She said something about good news…?” I say, rubbing the back of my neck.

Her eyes light up when I said the last two words. “Oh! Come in; come in. You’re always welcome here, Daesung.” She says, pulling me inside the house. She walks me to the living room, her habit whenever I come over. “Jiyoung isn’t here right now, though.”

“Eh?” I accidentally blurt out.

She nods. “She went out with some girl. I think her name was Mi Hye…Hye Mi? Sun Mi? Gosh, what was her name?”

“Mi Sun.” I croak out.

She snaps her fingers. “That’s it! You know her? What a sweet child.”

“Yes, actually, I do. I’m her friend.” I say, another white lie.

“That’s nice. Well, you can wait in here for now. I’m sure Jiyoung and Mi Sun will come back soon anyway.” Jiyoung’s mother says, already going back into her bedroom. At the same time, Jiyoung’s father comes out. I quickly stand up and bow deeply.

“Hello, Daesung.” He greets me back. He places his hand on my shoulder. “How are you son?”

“Good, sir. And you?” I reply.

“Very good.” He trails off. “But something’s been bothering me lately.”

“What is it, sir?” I ask, worried about the company.

He simply shakes his head as he looks at me, letting out a slight chuckle. “Don’t worry, boy. It’s not about business…” His grip on my shoulder tightens, making me mentally flinch. “It’s about my daughter.”

I gulp. “What about her, sir? Is she doing okay?”

“Oh, she’s doing fine. And I hope she stays that way in the future. Daesung, my boy, what exactly is your relationship between Won Mi Sun?”

“S-she’s my friend.” I lie once again.

He raises an eyebrow, obviously not believing me. But, strangely enough, he doesn’t go further about it. “I see. Her and Jiyoung sure are getting close fast.” I simply nod. His eyes suddenly turn into slits. “Daesung…”

“Yes, sir?”

“Are you sure there isn’t anything more in your friendly relationship with Mi Sun?”

“I’m sure, sir. Mi Sun and I have been friends for a while. Besides, I already have your beautiful daughter by my side. I’m just glad my friend and my girlfriend are able to get along so well.” I smoothly lie, surprising how I can make things up on the spot. He seems to buy it. He nods and takes his hand away from my shoulder. He smiles.

“Well, then, Mi Sun should be the maid of honor for your wedding. Jiyoung doesn’t have a lot of girl friends, you know. So maybe if you ask…”

His voice trails off as my ears ring loudly. That damn word was brought back up once again. I feel like tearing my ears out as my stomach is already turning in knots. I’ve completely forgotten about the wedding again.

Then I take in what he was saying in whole. Ask Mi Sun to be the maid of honor in my wedding? My wedding with Jiyoung? I don’t think I’ll have the strength to do that. Hell, I don’t think I have the strength to even get married…

Once again, guilt and irresolute grew in my chest. This time, it’s reaching my heart.