Leaving Without A Thought

Remember Me

 

[September 2009]

[Author POV]

“You wanted to see me, sir?”

A man in his forties with black glasses looks up from his paperwork. “Ah, yes. Please, take a seat.” The man sets down his papers and leans back on his chair as the younger man takes a seat in front of him.

“Is there a problem, sir?” The younger man asks.

“Oh no, not at all. I just have something important to tell you.” The older man smiles. “I think it’ll help you work our business.”

“What is it?”

“You, Kang Daesung, my son, will be heading abroad.”

~O~O~

“You really think this’ll help me?” Daesung asks once more. He still doesn’t believe his father got him a chance to go abroad. It was Daesung’s dream to study in the states. Now, he’s going there to finish off that last step to make his family’s company a success.

“Yes. Plus, I know you’ve wanted to go. You get to bring one person along with you.”

A picture of a girl instantly pops up in his mind. He smiles brightly. “I think I know who I’m going to bring.”

His father sees his son’s bright smile. “I think I know who you’re thinking about.” Daesung’s father leans in and picks up his paperwork. His father has full attention on the papers as he talks. “You’ll be leaving with your partner next week. So, get everything ready and everything organized. I’m sure that you’ll be going straight to the meeting room once you land. That’s all I have for now. You may go.”

Even if his father didn’t look at him, he knows Daesung had a huge smile on his face. “Thank you.” Daesung says. He rises up from the chair and bows. He leaves his father’s office. Daesung happily runs up to his room and quickly pulls out his phone. He dials a number and brings the phone up his ear.

“Yoboseyo?”

“So, I get to stay in America for a while. I can also bring along another person, but I don’t know whom to bring. Do you know anybody who wants to go with me?”

“Kang Daesung. Is this your way of asking me to accompany you to America?” The girl on the other line asks; her voice already sounding excited.

Daesung laughs happily. “Why yes it is, dear Jiyoung.”

“Then yes! Of course I’ll go with you!” Jiyoung cheerfully shouts.

The two share a laugh. “Be ready by next week. After that, it’ll all us, alone.” Daesung informs her, a smile still on his face.

Jiyoung giggles. “I can’t wait, oppa.”

~O~O~

[A Week Later]

“Daesung oppa!” Jiyoung runs into Daesung’s arms at the airport. Call her cheesy, but she loves doing that every time she sees her boyfriend. She can’t help it; she’s in love.

Daesung hugs her back, feeling excited and sad at the same time. Daesung and Jiyoung are going to be in America for the rest of 2009 and the half of 2010. Besides it being a business trip, it’s also a vacation for the both of them. He pulls her back and looks at her. “You look stunning.” He says, smiling.

Jiyoung looks down at herself. Good thing she bought a whole new outfit. She was wearing a white v-neck t-shirt, blue jean short shorts, and black sandals with her hair braided to the side. Sadly she didn’t have enough time to put on makeup. She found herself frowning at her stupidity. Daesung chuckles.

“Don’t worry. I like your bare face. It’s just as beautiful.” Daesung says as if he could read her mind. Jiyoung flashes a smile.

“Are you ready?” Daesung asks, offering his arm to her.

Jiyoung links her arm with his. “But where’s your mom and dad?”

“They’re too busy. Besides, they already said goodbye last night. Come on. We should hurry.”

“Wait. Can we get some coffee first? I’m thirsty. Please, oppa?” Jiyoung asks, staring at the stand for coffee just a few feet away.

“Alright.” Daesung agrees. Daesung would do anything to make Jiyoung smile. They walk over to the stand. “What do you want?” He asks her.

“Can I have an iced coffee?” Jiyoung asks the worker.

“Make that two iced coffees.” Daesung adds. The worker smiles at them, and then leaves to make the orders.

“What are we going to do when we get there?” Jiyoung asks excitedly.

Daesung sighs. “We are not going to do anything. Appa says that I’ll probably heading straight for the meetings and papers once we land.”

Jiyoung frowns. “Really?”

Daesung nods. “Mianhae. I know you want to do some things. I promise you, we’ll go anywhere you want to go once we both have the free time. You know you have some business to attend, too.” Daesung smirks as he sees his girlfriend’s shoulders slump. Jiyoung lets out a tired sigh.

“Don’t worry. We’ll have some fun there as well.” Daesung assures her.

“Here are your drinks.” The worker says. He hands them their drinks. The two bow and thank him. Daesung pays for the drinks and the two set off to find their flight. They sip their drinks and talk contently with each other, imagining American food, thinking about wearing different kinds of clothing, sight-seeing new things… They thought about everything.

“I wonder what’s going to happen in our time there.” Jiyoung wonders out loud. Daesung looks at her. She was staring off into space, a smile creeping on her.

“You know,” Daesung says, suddenly realizing something. “By the time we get back in Seoul, we’ll be married.”

Jiyoung and Daesung share a look. Jiyoung’s eyes sparkle. “I know.”