Their Interrogation

Remember Me

 

[June 2010; The Evening]

[Daesung POV]

Here I am…

Staring at heartbreak.

“Oh, Daesung. You’re here.” Jiyong hyung announces, making the other two look at me. I tear my gaze away from the girl on his lap and look at him.

I clear my throat as I feel it go dry. “Neh. What are you guys still doing here so late?” I ask, my voice sounding huskier than usual.

“We figured Mi Sun wanted some company today.” YoungBae hyung answers, staring at me with an uninterested expression.

“But it’s already 1 in the morning. Why did you stay so late?” I ask, looking at my watch.

“We should be asking you the same question.” Jiyong says.

“What do you mean?” I ask, feigning innocence.

“What the hell is your excuse for coming home so late?” Jiyong asks harshly. I choke up. I stare at all of them before landing my eyes on Mi Sun, already giving them my honest answer.

After what happened with Jiyoung last week, I slowly became scared. Scared of what I’m in, I avoided Mi Sun. I don’t think I had the nerve of looking into Mi Sun’s eyes after what happened with Jiyoung. Even if I am 21 years old, I still feel dirty after Jiyoung touching me like that. And Jiyoung’s a year younger than me!

Whatever Jiyoung had in mind that day never entered my mind once. Now that Jiyoung mentioned that terrifying word, it’s never left my mind. Marriage. I still shudder at the thought. That word lingers in my mind enough to make me frightened, frightened of what would happen in the future.

My parent’s plans for me suddenly sprung back up. I was supposed to finish school early and get right into the business. Then my father dropped the news, and I left to go abroad with Jiyoung. I’m supposed to get married this year with Jiyoung, whom I dated for two years…

My eyes start to water once again as the thought of me leaving Mi Sun in a coma with another girl; I left her with no hope of waking up.

“Why are you avoiding her, hyung?” Seungri asks, breaking my thoughts. I blink rapidly, clearing away the forming tears.

Without leaving my eyes from the sleeping figure, I answer, “A lot happened. I’m tired. I’ll go to sleep now.” I turn around and start to make my way towards my room.

“Bull.” I stop and turn around. All of us gape at YoungBae hyung at his sudden curse. YoungBae hyung continues to stare at me.            He shakes his head. “You’re not escaping again, Daesung. Mi Sun’s been worried about you all week. Come here and sit down.” He says, growling the last two words.

Suddenly scared at hyung’s attitude, I quickly stride over and sit next to Seungri. My eyes land on Mi Sun. My eyes trail from her feet lounging on YoungBae hyung’s lap to her head resting on Jiyong hyung’s.

“She tells us that you leave early and come home late.” Seungri says.

I don’t look at any of them; I keep my eyes on Mi Sun. I don’t say anything either. Mi Sun’s face looked disturbed yet peaceful at the same time. The corners of her lips gently pull upwards, making my heart skip beats.

“Is it true?” Seungri’s voice speaks up again.

Enchanted by Mi Sun’s smile, I answer without thinking. “Yes.”

“Why are you doing it?”

“Because my wretched mind makes me go in circles.” I blurt out, finally looking at them. Then, my calm appearance breaks, and I shakily tell them what happened with Jiyoung.

~O~O~

“Are you kidding me?” Seungri bursts, standing up from the couch. I cover the maknae’s mouth as I see Mi Sun stir. Seungri my palm and I push him back down in disgust. I scrunch up my nose and wipe my hand on my pants.

“What are you? 5 years old?” I ask sarcastically. Seungri crosses his arms and sticks his tongue out at me.

“Definitely 3 years old.” Jiyong hyung mutters.

Seungri snorts and turns back to me. “Is that what really happened?”

I nod, quickly remembering her cold hands on my stomach. I shudder. “Why can’t you just dump the girl?” YoungBae asks, being the one who actually thinks things through.

“Have you not put it through your heads that she’s the daughter of the most dangerous man in the business?” I ask, shaking my head.

“So what?” Jiyong hyung bursts out. He grabs a hold of Mi Sun before she rolls off his lap. I flinch, still wondering why he (and YoungBae hyung) hasn’t moved away from her. “Daesung, maybe you’re not putting this through your head.” He says calmly this time. “Are you going to choose your freaking job or this girl who’s obviously been worried about you?”

I look back down at Mi Sun. She still had that smile on her face. “I…” I trail off, torn. But why am I? I shouldn’t been even feeling that kind of stuff. If it were Mi Sun, I’d pick her in a heartbeat. But why am I hesitating?
            I feel their gazes burning right through me. Jiyong hyung’s eyes turn into slits, accusing. “Kang. Daesung.” He says my name, carefully. Suddenly, his eyes turn back to normal, but his face remains grim. “If it’s like that then don’t even try refreshing her—“

“Sweet memories.”

Those words…

Those words struck like lightning in my heart, pulling me back to my memories. Feeling my eyes moisten, my gaze lands of Mi Sun, who was now wide awake. Her eyes stared straight through the ceiling, as if she was pulled back into memories like I am right now.