Chapter 22-- We met at Last

My Memory: The One I Love

 

Kyuhyun's POV

 

“Do you like Siwon-hyung?”

 

I felt my throat become dry as I uttered those words.

 

What if she’d say yes? What will I do? What will happen to me?

 

Yoona remained motionless in my arms. I don’t know if she heard me, but my instinct tells me she did.

 

I tried controlling my heart’s beat, but to no avail. It kept on thumping on my chest I’m afraid Yoona might notice it.

 

“Are you nervous?” she asked.

 

There, Cho Kyuhyun. So stop being so nervous.

 

“No…” I replied curtly, and she giggled softly.

 

“I think you are.”

 

I rolled my eyes and buried my face on her hair.

 

“Answer my question. Do you like hyung?” I murmured.

 

“Yes. I do like him.” She said.

 

I felt my heart breaking. I felt like a candle melting.

 

I wanted to just disappear from her view.

 

Why did I ask her in the first place? I’m so stupid.

 

“But I only like him as an oppa.”

 

My brows furrowed as I held my breath after hearing her utter those words.

 

I held her on her shoulders, making her look straight in my eyes.

 

“What did you say?”

 

Yoona's POV

 

I was surprised when Kyuhyun asked me if I liked Siwon-oppa.

 

I honestly don’t know what to answer.

 

“Yes. I do like him.” I said.

 

He remained motionless.

 

“But I only like him as an oppa.”

 

If you reacted in this one, then there’s a tiny bit of possibility that you like me. Just even a tiny bit.

 

So please react.

 

Just a simple grunt or sigh.

 

Please.

 

He pushed me away from him, his hands on my shoulders. I looked at him straight in the eyes.

 

They’re twinkling.

 

Could it be?

 

Do you like me too, Cho Kyuhyun?

 

“What did you say?” he asked.

 

I smiled. “I said I only like oppa as a brother. Not in the romantic degree that’s all.”

 

He sighed. “Good. I thought I heard it wrong.” He smiled faintly.

 

“What did you hear?”

 

“Nothing.” And he smirked his signature smirk he looked so handsome.

 

“Whatever.”

 

“So, why do you only like hyung as a brother? I mean, hyung is a real gentleman. It’s hard not to like him.” he asked, looking back at the sky.

 

I looked at him.

 

I don’t know Cho Kyuhyun. I don’t know why but it’s you that I like.

 

No.

 

It’s you who I love.

 

“Hyung, he’s almost a perfect guy. Well, he’s so religious and he always has this positive outlook in life. He’s a real-life prince. Very manly, and of course, masculine. I bet every fangirl would squeal at hyung. Why don’t you like him? You know, you should. I think hyung likes you. The two of you look good together.” he continued.

 

I bit my lip as I tried to hold the tears that wanted to escape my eyes.

 

The one I love, the one I cherish, wants me to like someone else. He pushes me away from him.

 

Don’t you want me to love you?

 

Don’t you want me to be with you?

 

Don’t I look good with you too?

 

Slowly, I stood up.

 

“I know. Oppa is an ideal boyfriend. There are a lot of qualities of Mr. Right that I see in him. But I don’t know why I like someone who’s so stupid, mean and despicable. Well, you can’t teach your heart who to love, do you? But thanks to you I was able to realize that not all the heart says and beats will be good for you.”

 

I walked away from him.

 

I walked away from the guy I love.

 

Maybe, he noticed that I already like him. That’s why he’s pushing me away.

 

Maybe…

 

I felt the tears coming.

 

“Yoona.”

 

I fought the urge to turn around.

 

It would be hard to look back now.

 

It’s just painful I don’t know if I could pretend that I feel nothing for him when I see his face.

 

“Good night, Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun's POV

 

“So, why do you only like hyung as a brother? I mean, hyung is a real gentleman. It’s hard not to like him.” I asked, looking up at the sky.

 

Yoona remained silent.

 

“Hyung, he’s almost a perfect guy. Well, he’s so religious and he always has this positive outlook in life. He’s a real-life prince. Very manly, and of course, masculine. I bet every fangirl would squeal at hyung. Why don’t you like him? You know, you should. I know hyung likes you. The two of you look good together.”

 

Every word felt like a stab in my throat.

 

The silence Yoona is giving me makes me think that she is thinking well.

 

I mentally slapped myself for saying too much.

 

I’m pushing her away.

 

I can’t keep her if I’m like this.

 

I just wanted to ask her questions.

 

My purpose of me finding you is to ask you…

 

If…

 

Do you think you and me is possible?

 

We do look good together too, right?

 

Slowly, Yoona stood up.

 

“I know. Oppa is an ideal boyfriend. There are a lot of qualities of Mr. Right that I see in him. But I don’t know why I like someone who’s so stupid, mean and despicable. Well, you can’t teach your heart who to love, do you? But thanks to you I was able to realize that not all the heart says and beats will be good for you.”

 

And she started walking away.

 

I was left dumbstruck on my position.

 

I was just watching her walk away.

 

“Yoona.” I called out.

 

She stopped, but she didn’t look at me.

 

Her cold back was facing me.

 

“Good night Kyuhyun.” And she walked out of my sight.

 

Yoona's POV

 

I felt like my eyes weigh half of my weight in the morning.

 

I have been crying last night for reasons I don’t exactly know.

 

Was it because I was guilty of turning down Siwon-oppa?

 

Or was it because Kyuhyun said I looked good with Siwon-oppa and that I should like him back?

 

I think it’s the second one.

 

I know it is.

 

Since this morning, I have been avoiding Kyuhyun. I don’t know why exactly. I think I’m just acting stupid. And I bet my unnis and the oppas already noticed it. Whenever Kyuhyun stands by my side, I would always find an excuse to move away.

 

It’s the best way.

 

I should help him too.

 

If he’s pushing me away, I’ll move away.

 

“Yoona!” Tiffany-unni skipped to my direction. She’s wearing a pink dress and slippers.

 

We were on the beach by the way. Donghae-oppa suggested that we at least enjoy our stay here by swimming at the beach and tanning our skin. Of course, Teukie-oppa objected, as he said too much exposure under the sun may damage your skin cells. He was right though, but Yuri-unni was the one who forced him to allow us, so he gave in right away.

 

“Yoona! Let’s collect shells, shall we?” Tiffany-unni gave me one of the mini-buckets she’s holding and she dragged me onto the shore.

 

“Yoona?” unni’s face blocked my view of the beach. She has this worried face on her face, and I know why.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Are you okay?” she asked, placing her hand on my forehead.

 

I nodded but she frowned.

 

“Did you and Kyu have a misunderstanding?”

 

Did we?

 

We didn’t.

 

I was just the one who misunderstood something here.

 

“No… We’re fine unni.” I lied.

 

She raised a brow.

 

“Not convincing. But since you’re really pretty, I’ll let you off now. But Yoona, don’t ignore Kyuhyun. He’s a bit upset these past few days actually. We’re really thankful that you were able to cheer him up. So please don’t avoid him.” Unni said while picking up some shells.

 

“Upset? Why?”

 

“I don’t know. But Sungmin-oppa told me it’s because of a girl.”

 

“A girl?” I felt my heart beat faster.

 

“Hm. A girl, his childhood sweetheart. The one he’s been looking for since he came back here.” Unni sat by the shore.

 

“Childhood sweetheart?”

 

“Yes. Kyuhyun's childhood friend slash sweetheart. Haha! But the term sweetheart was just given by the oppas. So, he didn’t tell you anything about that?” she asked.

 

“No. He didn’t.” I felt a slight pang of disappointment about that. Kyuhyun never opened up about his life to me.

 

“Well, Kyuhyun was actually born here but he moved to America with his family because of his dad’s work. He never had the chance to come back here until he joined Super Junior.” Unni said.

 

“Really? He was casted at the US?” I asked.

 

“Yep. But he left a friend here. A girl friend. His bestfriend when he was a kid. When Kyuhyun came back, he tried looking for her. But he failed. Two days before the trip, he received a call from the owner of the subdivision they lived at 10 years ago saying that his friend might have died on the fire that occurred 8 years ago in their subdivision.” Unni continued.

 

Kyuhyun was casted in the US.

 

He’d been there for 10 years.

 

I haven’t seen Kyunnie for 10 years.

 

He moved to the US 10 years ago.

 

Kyuhyun had been looking for his friend since he came back.

 

Kyunnie said he’d look for me when he came back.

 

We moved out of the subdivision we previously lived at 9 years ago. And that subdivision had a fire incident 8 years ago.

 

The subdivision Kyuhyun's friend lived at had that accident 8 years ago.

 

“Yoona?” unni asked. She might have noticed my silence.

 

My heart beat doubled.

 

There’s a tiny bit of possibility.

 

Just a tiny bit.

 

I gulped down an imaginary lump on my throat as I turned to face unni.

 

“What’s the girl’s name, unni?” I asked.

 

Please…

 

Don’t let it be me.

 

No.

 

If it’s me, then me and Kyuhyun could never be together.

 

That tiny hope I have been holding would be all gone.

 

Please.

 

Not me.

 

“It’s funny, really. When Kyuhyun said you are his girlfriend, I thought he already found that girl. Your names really sounded close. But Kyuhyun said that the name he told me, the name of her friend, was only a nick. He doesn’t know the girl’s real name. It’s Yoong. Close to Yoona, right?” she smiled.

 

Kyuhyun's POV

 

Yoona had been avoiding me the whole morning. I don’t know why. Whenever I stand by her side, she would move away.

 

Was it because of what I said last night?

 

Well, I think a girl will really be a bit angry if someone tells her she should like a guy because that guy likes her.

 

But I was hurt.

 

When I told her she should like hyung back, I wounded my own heart.

 

Then I saw her being dragged by Tiffany-noona by the shore. Both of them were holding small buckets, probably they’ll be using those for picking up shells. Knowing Tiffany-noona, she’s a shell-lover. Quite unbelievable, for someone like her, a princess-like lady to be really engaged in nature. It’s hard to find a girl like noona. Siwon-hyung is really lucky he has her.

 

I walked away from the two. They’ll be needing some private time as girls. And Yoona is avoiding me. If I come closer to them, she’d just ignore me.

 

I saw Siwon-hyung drawing at the sand. I smirked as I approached him.

 

 

“What are you drawing?” I asked. Hyung looked up and raised a brow at me.

 

“Guess.”

 

“A frog?” I laughed.

 

“How can a fish look like a frog?!” he barked.

 

I totally got lost because of my hyung’s reaction. I laughed really hard I swear my tummy hurt.

 

“You told me to guess and when I do you’ll yell at me.” I managed to say between my laughter.

 

“You’re insulting my drawing.” He scoffed.

 

“No. I have no intentions. It’s because it really looks like a frog rather than a fish.”

 

“It’s a flounder.”

 

“It’s a frog.”

 

“Flounder. And if you don’t shut up, I’ll draw your face here I’d swear you’ll look like a giraffe because of your long neck.” He warned.

 

He smiled widely, trying hard not to laugh.

 

“Kyu…”

 

Hyung’s face was serious.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you like Yoona?”

 

Siwon's POV

 

“Do you like Yoona?”

 

The wide smile on Kyuhyun's face slowly vanished.

 

“Why did you ask?”

 

“Just answer me.” I shrugged.

 

He became silent. He looked at the sky like he didn’t hear what I said.

 

“Yah!”

 

He looked at me and smiled.

 

“What do you think?” he asked.

 

“Me? I think you do.”

 

“Really?”

 

Why did I ask you in the first place? I knew you won’t give me an honest answer. You are Cho Kyuhyun afterall. Evil Cho Kyuhyun.

 

“So, you like her?” I asked.

 

“Nope.”” He replied.

 

Yoona likes you, you idiot!The girl I like likes you!

 

“I love her.” He smiled.

 

Just then, I saw Yoona running towards our direction.

 

She’s crying.

 

Kyuhyun, whose back was facing her, was not able to see that she’s coming.

 

These two have been avoiding each other since this morning. So, why is Yoona crying?

 

She hugged Kyuhyun from the back. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, was surprised. He turned his head to see who did it to him, and was surprised to see Yoona.

 

“Yoona? What’s the problem dear?” he asked.

 

“Kyunnie? Kyunnie? Is this really you?” her tears kept on coming. She’s sobbing against Kyuhyun's back.

 

Kyuhyun's POV

 

Someone hugged me from the back.

 

It was Yoona. And she’s crying.

 

“Yoona? What’s the problem dear?” I asked. Panic ran through my body as I held her hand.

 

“Kyunnie? Kyunnie? Is this really you?” she asked.

 

Kyunnie.

 

Only one girl calls me with that name.

 

Could it be?

 

No. She can’t be.

 

Please.

 

“Yoong?” I asked.

 

She sobbed harder as her grip on me became tighter.

 

“This is really you! Kyunnie.”

 

I turned and faced her. I cupped her face and looked at her.

 

“Is this really you, Yoong?” I still can’t believe what’s happening.

 

The girl I love is the girl I promised everlasting friendship 10 years ago.

 

No.

 

This can’t be.

 

“This is me. This is me, Kyunnie.” She said between her sobs.

 

I held her in my arms, feeling her every touch.

 

She’s real.

 

Yoona is Yoong.

 

I’m not dreaming.

 

Tears came flowing down my face.

 

“All this time, I have been looking for you like crazy and yet you’re already by my side.”

 

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I thought you already forgot about me.” she wailed.

 

“How can I forget you? You’ve been in my head, in my heart. How can I do that?”

 

“I missed you. We met at last.”

 

“I missed you too. I missed you like crazy.” I buried my face in her hair.

 

I really did miss her…

 

But there’s something inside me.

 

Disappointment.

 

She’s Yoong.

 

Me and her… It’s already impossible.

 

 

HELLO! Sorry for the late update :(

Anyways, please do check out my new fic.

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/84372

thanks a lot! :) SARANGHAE! <3