Chapter 19--Officially dating an IDOL

My Memory: The One I Love

Kyuhyun woke up the next morning feeling all energized and pumped up. He didn’t know if it was because he did sleep well last night or because of the jacket Yoona gave him. But all the same, he is in the mood today that he didn’t even bother giving his Sungmin-hyung his deadly glare when he started teasing him.

“Yah Kyu! How’s your date yesterday? Was it great?” the elder smirked and clapped his shoulder.

“Yeah. It was great.” He answered curtly, and he walked away from Sungmin, leaving the other with a bewildered expression.

“Good morning!” Kyuhyun greeted everyone in the dining hall. Every head turned to his direction, their faces looked like they just saw something very extraordinary.

“Are you okay?” Heechul approached him and touched his forehead. The elder’s brows furrowed.

“Your temperature’s normal.”

“I’m fine hyung.” Kyuhyun pushed his hyung’s hand away and sat at his seat next to Yesung.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Leeteuk asked as he passed the bread to Kyuhyun.

“Yes. Why?” Kyuhyun smiled and took a few slices from the platter.

“You didn’t glare at me when I teased you. You greeted us ‘Good morning’ though you don’t really do that. And, you’re smiling so widely you’d tear your face off.” Sungmin enumerated his reasons and sat down beside the magnae.

“I’m really okay. Why? Don’t you like how I act?” Kyuhyun asked his hyungs and he got a chorused answer.

“No.”

Kyuhyun pouted and looked at everyone at the table.

“Kyu, no offense. But please, you’re freaking us out.” Kangin said before drinking his coffee.

Kyuhyun’s mouth hung open.

His hyungs are weird. Really weird.

~~
Yoona’s phone rang. Looking at the screen, a smile crept on her face, seeing that the one calling is Kyuhyun.

“Hello?”

“Hello? Yoona?”

She smiled to herself. She can’t understand why just hearing the guy’s voice makes her feel so tingly inside. Why her heart beats fast.

“Yes, it’s me. What’s up?”

“Oh. Nothing really. How are you? Feeling better?” Kyuhyun asked. 

“Yes. I feel better now.” Yoona answered, and that made Kyuhyun’s heart beat faster. 

‘Should I ask her now? Will she say yes?’

His knees felt wobbly, and he felt as if his throat had something stuck in it. His hands were sweaty. He never thought it would be this hard to ask a girl you like out.

“That’s good. Ahm, are you busy today?” he asked. He was crossing his fingers that she would say she isn’t busy. That she had a lot of free time in her hands today.

“Actually, no. Auntie arrived last night. So today, I’m a bit stuck in the house since she said she’d take care of the shop for now. Why?”

‘This is it. Just her if she could go Kyuhyun. There’s no harm in trying. It’s now or never!’ his inner self keeps hitting his head as he find his courage.

“So, can we go out today?”

Yoona’s face blushed. She bit her lower lip as she tried to digest the guy has said.

‘So, can we go out today?’

He’s asking her out. He’s asking her for a date.

A date.

“Sure.” Was all that she could say. She wanted to giggle and jump up and down because of happiness. She’s certain that if Kyuhyun sees her the way she looks like now, he’d probably laugh.

‘Sure’

Did he hear it right? She said sure. That means she wants to go out with him, right?

Kyuhyun made his famous victory hand signal as he smiled widely to himself.

“So, I’d pick you up at 11. Is that okay?” 

“Sure. I’ll wait for you then. Bye.” 

“Yeah. Bye then.” And Kyuhyun hung up.

He jumped to his bed and laughed really loud that Donghae, Leeteuk, Siwon, Yesung and Shindong ran out of their rooms to see what was happening to their dongsaeng.

“Hyung, he’s okay, right?” Donghae asked Leeteuk whose mouth fell open upon seeing the energetic Kyuhyun jumping over his bed.

“I guess so.” Leeteuk said.
~~

Kyuhyun inhaled sharply before going out of his car. He felt so ecstatic and in high spirits. He straightened his shirt and pants before ringing the house’s doorbell. A lady about in her 40’s, in Kyuhyun’s perception, came out of the house and approached him.

‘She looks familiar. It feels like I’ve seen her before.’ Kyuhyun thought.

The lady smiled at him as she open the gate. “You are Yoona’s friend right?” she asked.

Kyuhyun smiled back. “Yes ma’am. I’m Cho Kyuhyun.” He bowed and offered his hand which the lady gladly took.

“I’m Kim Seohee, Yoona’s aunt. Come in inside.” She said as she led Kyuhyun to the big house.

Compared to the last time Kyuhyun had been there, the house looked more lively and bright now. He felt so at home as he sat on the white sofa and Yoona’s aunt sat on the couch opposite him.

“So Kyuhyun, how long have you been friends with Yoona?” she asked.

“It’s been almost a month ma’am.”

“Oh. So you just became friends. Well, how do you find my niece?” she smiled radiantly at Kyuhyun.

“Well, she’s really nice and kind. She’s always sunny and loves to smile, that’s why she looks so beautiful. But she’s so stubborn. She always want to make things her way. But overall, she’s great.” Truthfully, the words he just said were underestimations of how he find Yoona. She’s a perfect girl to him. She’s the girl he likes to introduce to his parents someday.

“Really? That’s good. I was afraid my niece won’t have any guy friends since she never mingles with boys. I’m so glad you’re her friend.”

Just then, Kyuhyun saw Yoona descend the stairs. She’s dressed in a black dress with white prints on it. The dressed looked more beautiful now the Yoona wore it. Just leveled onto her knees, Kyuhyun admired how beautifully this girl’s legs were molded. She wore a cream colored doll shoes and a yellow blazer. Her hair is tied in a ponytail, though some strands fall perfectly on her face.

She looked so simple, yet so beautiful. Kyuhyun stood up and looked admiringly at the girl who’s smiling at him. His heart’s pace fastened as he smiled back at the angel in front of him.

--
Yoona looked at her reflection for the umpteenth time now. She’s still isn’t sure if she looks good enough for Kyuhyun’s liking but she earnestly prayed that she is. 

‘I’m officially dating an idol. I can’t disappoint him.’

Finally, she smiled to herself one last time before going out of her room.

She heard her aunt’s voice, and Kyuhyun’s. They are talking about someone. About her.

“Oh. So you just became friends. Well, how do you find my niece?” she heard her aunt ask.

“Well, she’s really nice and kind. She’s always sunny and loves to smile, that’s why she looks so beautiful. But she’s so stubborn. She always wants to make things her way. But overall, she’s great.” 


Yoona can’t help but smile. Kyuhyun thinks she’s great, she’s beautiful. The words the guy said made her heart skip a beat. Now, she feels like she’s really beautiful. To her, his words matter the most. She believes in him.

She hadn’t heard the rest of the conversation, but she decided to go to the living room and meet her date.

To meet Kyuhyun.

She slowly walked down the stairs, making sure her clumsy self won’t let her stumble in front of Kyuhyun. She looked at the guy her aunt’s been talking to a while ago.

He is wearing a white vest over a simple pink shirt, denim pants and white snickers. 

He looked so simple, yet so appealing and handsome. She can’t help but smile at the guy, who later stood up and smiled back at her. When their eyes met, she felt that they were in a room, just the two of them. The moment was so perfect, but she suddenly heard her aunt make a soft coughing sound that brought her and Kyuhyun back to reality.
--

“So, enjoy your day. Take care, okay?” Yoona’s aunt waved at the two as they were leaving.

“Yes, Auntie. Take care too, okay?” Yoona smiled at the lady before waving at her.

“We’re going then ma’am. Bye!” Kyuhyun again bowed at her before letting Yoona inside the car first. 

“Take care of my Yoona, will you Kyuhyun?” the lady smiled and waved at the guy.

“I will. Promise.”

Then the two sped off.

Yoona and Kyuhyun were both lost for words as long as they were on the way to their destination.

To Yoona, it’s a question to her as to where Kyuhyun is planning to take her. She wanted to ask him, but she can’t find her tongue. Kyuhyun’s presence made her feel so tingly inside she’s lost for words. To her, Kyuhyun is like a prince: his presence could make a crowd go quiet and a group of noisy girls swoon.

She looked sideways at the guy beside her who’s busy with his driving. She bit her lower lip as she battled with her inner self if she should start the conversation.

Then, with so much courage she brought along with her, she finally found her tongue.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, where are we going?”

Kyuhyun smiled, still not taking his eyes off the road. “We’ll have lunch.”

Yoona nodded. “Where?”

“Restaurant? Where do you want?” 

“No offense but I really don’t think I would want to eat in a fancy restaurant.” Yoona pouted her lips and looked away at the guy, whose brows furrowed.

“Why?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t like the feeling of being watched over by waiters and servers.”

Kyuhyun laughed at the girl’s reason. “You’re really weird. Every girl I know would want their dates to take them in a five-star restaurant on their date. While you, on the other hand, don’t like that idea. Cool.” 

Yoona puffed her cheeks and looked outside the window. Well, it’s true. Most girls would want to have a date in a fancy restaurant, but not her. Maybe she’s weird but, Kyuhyun surely knows that she is one big weirdo.

Kyuhyun threw a quick glance at Yoona, who’s puffing her cheeks while looking outside. He knew too well that the girl meant what she just said: that she doesn’t want to eat in a fancy restaurant.she’s a real weirdo so things like that should not surprise him. He never wanted to disappoint Yoona on their first official date, so he quickly followed-up his earlier statement.

“But if you don’t want to, I’m perfectly fine with it. Shall we have our lunch in a fastfood restaurant?” he smiled while waiting for the girl’s reply.

Yoona smiled. “Sure!”

Kyuhyun was amused by how the girl’s mood suddenly changed. “You’re really weird.”
--

“What do you want?” Kyuhyun asked Yoona as they were filing up in a line inside the restaurant.

Yoona pouted her lips for a moment, then with one awkward glance at Kyuhyun, she started telling the girl in the counter her order.

“One regular burger and a diet coke please.”

Kyuhyun’s brows furrowed. “And?”

Yoona looked bewildered at the guy’s question.

“Nothing more. That’s all.” She smiled faintly and stepped aside so Kyuhyun could have his order.

“Are you still sick?” the guy asked as he touched her forehead.

The girl shook his head. “Nope. I’m fine.”

“Don’t you want to eat here? We could transfer to another place if you wish.” Kyuhyun looked at her, eyes full of concern.

Again, she shook her head. 

“Then why did you order a small meal? I know you could eat more than that.”

Yoona pouted her lips again. “I don’t think I should eat a lot now.”

“Why?”

“What will people say if they saw our table full of food and I am the only one who’d eat almost three fourths of it?” she whined, which made the guy chuckle in amusement.

“You’re worried about that? Silly girl.” He muttered as he turned to face the girl in the counter.

“I’ll have a double cheeseburger, medium fries and coke.” He then turned back to Yoona who was still pouting while looking onto her shoes. He then grabbed the girl’s hand and pulled her softly to get her beside him in front of the counter and whispered over her ears.

“You don’t have to think of what others will say. Just be who you are. As long as you are you, you’re perfect to me.”

Yoona smiled at Kyuhyun’s remark. 

She only has to be plain weird Yoona in front of Kyuhyun. She doesn’t have to pretend. She’s perfect the way she is to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun.

She turned back at the girl by the counter. “Can you please scratch out my order awhile ago? I’ll have a quarter-pound burger with cheese and extra veggies, large fries, strawberry sundae and…” she squinted her eyes as she eyed the menu board, “an apple pie and large coke please.” She smiled at the girl and then turned back at Kyuhyun who was watching her with an amused expression once again.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked and Kyuhyun chuckled then paid their bills with his card.

“Nothing. You just look cute.” He smiled and pinched her nose.

Yoona could feel her face warming up. She had to bite her inner cheeks to prevent herself from giggling. When their orders were ready, Kyuhyun led the way to the empty table just beside the glass walls of the food chain.

--
“I’m so full!” Yoona exclaimed as they got out of the fastfood restaurant.

“You should be. You ordered almost every extra-sized meal in the menu. I can’t imagine how those foods fit in your body.” Kyuhyun smirked.

The girl giggled lightly. “I just feel like eating a lot today. By the way, where are we going next?” she asked as the guy opened the car door for her.

“You’ll see.”

Kyuhyun brought her at an amusement park. It was almost noon then, so a lot of people were roaming around the park.

Yoona looked admiringly at the place, earning her another bewildered look from Kyuhyun.

“Are you really okay?” the guy asked.

Yoona nodded gleefully. “I’m just so happy. It’s my first time to go in an amusement park. I didn’t know a lot of people go here.” She smiled widely and clapped her hands excitedly.

“You look like a little kid.” Kyuhyun chuckled. He took Yoona’s hand and led her into the crowd.

“Don’t let go or else you’d get lost. Let’s make your first trip in a theme park memorable, okay?” the guy smiled at Yoona. The girl nodded and smiled back.

The day definitely was longer than it used to be for Kyuhyun. To his surprise, Yoona’s energy level never went down even just a bit for the whole day. She dragged Kyuhyun to every ride in the park, and to every food chain she could find. Though Kyuhyun wanted to protest, just a smile from the girl makes him follow her everywhere she goes. With hands still linked with each other’s, they went to every place in the park. For the first time in his life, he wasn’t afraid that anyone would notice him as Super Junior’s Cho Kyuhyun. He spent the day as a regular person, not a TV personality. And it’s all thanks to the doe-eyed girl he’s with now.

“Yoona-ssi, I’ll just go to the restroom then we’ll go home. Is that okay?” he asked the girl beside her.

Yoona nodded and smiled. “Okay. I’m a little tired by the way. I’ll just wait here.”

Kyuhyun smiled back and then left.

The truth is, he really doesn’t want to use the restroom. He wanted to plan about something.

He took out something from his pocket and stared at it for a while.

It’s a necklace. A necklace he plans to give Yoona before the day ends.

It’s the very same necklace Yoona and he saw at the jewelry in the shopping centre when they went out days ago. He bought it before he picked up Yoona this morning, and thought about how he would give this to her without looking silly.

‘How did giving something to a girl became this difficult?’ he thought.

If it was just an ordinary girl, it would be easy.

But Yoona is no ordinary girl to him. She’s special. She’s the girl he likes. A lot.

Kyuhyun put back the necklace inside his pocket and silently prayed that he could have the chance he wanted to have now. He walked out of the restroom and found Yoona standing near the Carousel ride. Her expression was somewhat different from the one she has the whole day. She looks sad.

He carefully walked to the girl’s direction and stood beside her.

“You want to ride on that?” he asked.

Yoona shook hear head and smiled faintly. “Nope. I was just looking at them.” She said, pointing at the kid riding the Carousel with her parents. The girl and her mother was waving happily at the camera the father was holding.

Kyuhyun, bewildered, looked at where Yoona was pointing, and then looked back at Yoona.

“Why?” 

Yoona sighed. “I envy her. Because she has her parents to go with her in places like this.”

As far as Kyuhyun could remember, Yoona never brought out issues about her family and such. She never talked about her parents. All he knows is that she lives with her aunt. Nothing more, nothing less. He just wished that she would open up to him.

“My dad left me and my mom when I was only 3 years old to live with another woman. Then my mom remarried when I was 4. She left me in an orphanage and said she’d come back as soon as her new husband finds a new home for them, but she never came back to take me. I was stuck in that awful place for three long years, until my aunt came and took me. Since then, I was in her custody.” Yoona said, her eyes still in the Carousel ride.

Kyuhyun felt a pang of sadness and pity for the girl beside her. He didn’t know Yoona has been through many hardships at such a young age.

“When I was a kid, I would always ask myself every night: ‘Are my parents looking for me?’, ‘Where is umma?’, ‘Where’s appa?’, ‘Will they come back?’, ‘Where are they now?’, ‘Do they miss me?’, ‘Have they forgotten that I’m waiting for them?’. Every night, I ask myself the same questions over and over again. But eventually, as I grow older, I got tired and realized that they don’t care about me anymore. It may be hard and painful but I managed to get over it. Truthfully, I don’t care about them too.” She laughed sarcastically, but fresh warm tears escaped her eyes.

Kyuhyun just stood there, listening to every word the girl says. He thought that, for now, Yoona needs someone who would listen to her instead of comforting her.

“Auntie was always busy with her business then, so we never had time to spend together. She’s the very person who’s showed me the love my parents didn’t even cared of giving me. I owe her so much that to show her I am not a burden to her, I became independent. I don’t bother to tell her things that would only make her worry. I attend to my wounds myself whenever I fall to the ground while playing. I would comfort myself whenever I feel so alone at night. I hug and tell myself that everything’s alright whenever I get scared. I defend myself from bullies when I was in elementary. I learned not to be too dependent to her, cause I know I already owed her a lot. Aside from Auntie, I never had anybody except myself. Until you,” she looked at Kyuhyun, a faint smile visible in her face, “came into my life. Though we didn’t start in good terms, I’m very thankful I came across a wonderful person like you.”

Kyuhyun looked at her in the eyes. He felt that Yoona needed him now. And he wanted to make her feel that he’s here with her.

“Kyuhyun?” Yoona looked at him, her eyes still etched with sadness and longing. “Can you promise never to leave me? You will stay beside me, right?”

He felt warm inside. He remembered a scenario almost as similar as this 10 years ago. Where Yoong, his dearest bestfriend, asked him to stay with her. He never gave an assuring answer then. He never got to say how important that girl was to him then. He left her, alone in a world she barely knew then. And he doesn’t want that to happen again.

Without hesitation, he wrapped his arms around Yoona, her head against his chest. Her body felt really warm against his. 

Yoona was surprised by how Kyuhyun reacted. In one swift movement, she’s securely inside Kyuhyun’s arms. She could hear his heart beating against his chest. 

“Pabo.” Kyuhyun whispered.

The word didn’t make sense to her. She wanted to ask Kyuhyun why he’s telling that to her but she heard the guy talk again before she could interrupt.

“Did you ever think I would leave you? Sorry to tell you missy, but even if you tell me to stay away from you, and even if you push me away, I won’t leave your side.” He whispered gently while caressing her hair. “If you fall, I’ll help you dust off and I’ll put a lot of antiseptics on your wound so it won’t be infected. I’ll comfort you when you feel alone. I’ll be there for you when you are scared. If somebody bullies you, I’ll make sure he’ll get what he deserves from me. Whatever happens, I’m always here so you don’t have to worry. You will always have me.”

Yoona felt the sincerity in Kyuhyun’s words. That’s all she wanted to hear from him. That he will never leave her. That he’ll always be here for her. She never felt as happy as she is today. She will always have Kyuhyun. 

“Oops! Wait!” Kyuhyun searched his pockets with his right hand while the other was still around Yoona.

“What are you looking for?”

“Something.” He frowned while searching his pockets carefully, then a smile crept his face when her found what he was looking for.

He held up the necklace, letting Yoona see it more clearly, hoping she could recognize it.

Yoona’s face brightened up as she remembered where she had first seen the necklace. It was the very same necklace she and Kyuhyun saw at the mall. The necklace with a half-note pendant.

“This is for you.” Kyuhyun smiled.

Yoona looked at the necklace, then at the guy who’s holding it.

“May I?” Kyuhyun asked, and Yoona smiled as she allowed Kyuhyun to put the necklace around her neck.

“Thank you very much.” She smiled and gave the guy a warm hug.

“And, take a look at this.” 

Yoona looked at Kyuhyun who was taking something out from the neckline of his shirt. Then she realized Kyuhyun was trying to let her see his necklace.

It was the same as hers.

“It came with a partner. The lady in the jewelry shop said ‘Two half notes make one whole.’” He smiled.

“Two half notes make one whole.” Yoona murmured.

“By the way, have you talked about our trip tomorrow with your aunt?”

Yoona smiled and nodded gleefully. “I did. She said yes and I already packed.” She giggled.

“Good. Wear the necklace tomorrow, okay? I’ll pick you up at 8:30 in the morning.” 

“Okay. And wear the hoody tomorrow, understand?”

Kyuhyun pouted and raised his brows. “The hoody you gave me?” he asked.

“Yep. I have little surprise for you. So you better wear it.” she winked and dragged him by the hand towards the park’s exit.

“Okay. You’re becoming weird again.” He smirked.

“You don’t like me being weird?” she pouted.

Kyuhyun chuckled. “Of course I like it. It’s good that you’re weird. I think it’s cool.”

The girl giggled and led the way out of the crowded place.

The two both felt so happy. Like everything that happened were so right and perfect. Both felt that they are special to each other.