Epilogue

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4 years later...

"I want you to capture us fully but with the guests around. Make sure to include the view behind the altar..." A lady busily tells her plans to Minju who took down everything she said, adding some pointers. 

Minju has been a freelance artist for the past two years after she graduated from university. Some may say she's quite popular, getting asked to do many live drawings.

She's currently talking to a client who wants her wedding painted live. It's taking a while since she wanted all the little details in the biggest moment of her life.

Minju constantly gazes at the clock hanging on the wall of the cafe but she makes sure she doesn't miss out on anything.

"I think that's about it. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result." The lady smiles in satisfaction as Minju closes her notebook. "Thank you so much." She takes the brunette's hand giving it a shake.

Minju just wanted to leave. She was already running late.

"I'll see you at the venue in a month." The lady takes her bag and gets ready to leave.

Being polite, Minju waited till the client goes off before dashing to her car. Her father's car to be exact. "I'm screwed." She quickly starts the engine and puts on her seatbelt.

What exactly was she screwed for?

She was about to be late for Yujin's graduation ceremony.

The four years went by smoothly. Although there are a few fights in between, everything gets solved within a day or even a night. None of the fights lasts till the next day.

Yujin was accepting, Minju was forgiving.

They both knew what was wrong and always figure things out. When they have an argument, they refrain from bringing the past arguments, preventing that snowball effect. That only happens when perfect communication exists. Close to perfect.

At the end of the day, all they had was each other. Fights happen but they're not meant to last.

When Minju reached the school, she parks the car nearest to the convention building where the graduation is held. There were a lot of cars but she managed to find a spot.

The moment her feet touches the ground, she ran. She ran like she was about to miss a concert. She didn't stop till she reaches the door to the hall.

Taking a few deep breaths, she opens those big velvet doors, quietly entering. She realises they were already in the midst of handing out the degrees.

As if perfect timing exists, she was just in time for the film department. Minju sits down at an empty seat as her eyes busily look for Yujin.

Why can't I see her? Minju was seated at the very back. But when the screen starts showing a short clip of a student's work, she recognises whose it was.

Titled The One I Want, the short cinematic video showed two girls skating in a rink, going on little dates. Then comes a part where one goes abroad to study, leaving the other behind. There were tears as solemn music plays. But they soon found each other again when their lives were on the right path, ending with the scene of sunrise.

"The One I Want was an award-winning short film by a student who started a little late but ends at the top. Life is always full of uncertainties but good will always come as portrayed in her film. All because of her passion and love for film, she's where she is now. Let us invite all the students who have worked hard for the past four years, bringing us astounding projects." The MC announces and gestures for the students to come on stage.

Minju squints into the distance, seeing her girlfriend being first in line. She gave a big, proud wave, somehow managing to get Yujin's attention. It's her first time seeing her in a graduation gown.

"How pretty," Minju softly says, feeling a small tap on her shoulder.

She turns to see a guy who asks, "Are you from this school?"

"I'm an alumnus."

The guy didn't hesitate to ask, "Then can I have your number?"

"I'm sorry but I have to pay attention. My girlfriend's speaking." Minju knew Yujin spent a whole night rehearsing a one-minute speech. She couldn't miss out.

"Girlfriend..." He nods slowly, apologising for disturbing her.

Minju takes out her phone and starts recording like a proud mom.

Yujin stands on the podium after receiving her scroll, about to give her short speech since she's graduating first in her department. She was a little nervous to be in front of thousands of people but plays it off cool.

She clears , adjusting the paper in front of her. "I've always been confused in life. From the moment I entered this world and got thrown into society. I didn't know what I wanted to do, or what I was supposed to do. I was lost. To be honest, I'm not as good of a student as you think I might be. I was a troublemaker, believe it or not. But one day, I met someone who thought of me differently. I wasn't just a troublemaker, I was a nice troublemaker. And this person led me to a path I didn't know I could align myself to. All because of her, I was able to find what I loved to do. All because of her, I was able to find myself. All because of her, I knew what love was. It's a strong word. Without it, I wouldn't be standing here today." Her eyes manage to find Minju in the crowd.

"So I ask for all of you to turn to the person you love, and say, not I love you, but thank you. Because of them, you are who you are now, doing the things you love with their support. So, thank you." She ends her speech there, seeing Minju give her two thumbs up and a wide smile.

Yujin bows, leaving the stage.

The brunette sits back comfortably in the chair and hears, "So that's your girlfriend." She turns to the same guy.

"I'm so sorry for assuming. I should've asked if you were single before, you know. Your girlfriend looks pretty cool. The video."

"She is cool."

When the ceremony came to an end, Minju goes out the same door, seeing their friends waiting outside.

"Ya! Kim Minju! They locked us out!" Yena complains, getting smacked by Yuri who asked her to keep it down.

Minju wanted to laugh. "How are you guys later than me?"

"I came from the airport." Wonyoung excuses herself.

"I came from assisting an emergency surgery." Yuri too.

Yena raises her hand. "I had to fetch her." She points at Yuri, giving an innocent smile. "And get this." She holds up a small bouquet of flowers.

They agreed to only get one. Yujin doesn't really like flowers.

"Chaemin?" Minju asked the taller girl.

"He has a shoot today. He can't make it." The brunette nods. "But he did take a video."

"What video—"

"KIM MINJU!"

Minju nearly jumps when she hears a yell through the place, turning to see Yujin running towards her.

The taller girl carries her out of excitement, accidentally dropping her graduate hat.

"Ya, ya. Do you not see us?" Yena tried to be inclusive but the two were in their own world.

Yujin looks at the rest. "Oh, you're all here."

"This girl." Yena bonks the flowers on Yujin's head. "Let her go. We're in public. You're still in school."

Wonyoung pulls her away from the two. "Let her be. We didn't stop you from doing this when you graduated." She gestures at Yuri who was picking up Yujin's hat.

Yujin gave her biggest, small smile to Minju. "I'm free," she says excitedly. "Did I stutter?"

The brunette shakes her head. "You did very well." She pats Yujin's head as the girl puts her down.

Yujin looks around. "Where's Chaemin?"

Wonyoung presses the play button on her screen and shows it to Yujin. A video was recorded by Chaemin a few hours ago. He's at a high school, a shooting site for his upcoming drama series—Crash Course In Romance.

"Yujin-ah, you've finally graduated. We all waited two years to watch you but what can I do? I have a shooting at the moment and can't be there. But, I'll promise to buy you drinks the next time. You still have a long way to go. Even Minju drinks better than you. I'll see you later." He winks and wishes her well for the day.

A girl appears on the screen. "What are you doing?"

Wonyoung stops the video but the four of them wondered who she was.

"Ya, who's that? She's pretty." Yena and Minju spoke in sync. Their girlfriends couldn't disagree. She was beautiful.

"Co-actress," Wonyoung said.

Yujin looks at her. "She's jealous." She points out and laughs, earning a slight glare. "She's scary." She stops teasing, hiding behind Minju.

"Your boyfriend's weird. He always does that. Say I can't drink." She complains, changing the topic.

"You really can't," Minju says and pats her back.

"I can. Do you want me to show you?"

"Ah, ah! Let's go! You can show us!" Yena drags all of them out since they had plans to celebrate Yujin finally graduating.

...

They went to the place they always frequent to celebrate each other's little milestones. Not Mcdonalds, but a rowdy barbeque place.

It's the only way Yena doesn't embarrass herself because every other table would be doing the same thing as her.

"Okay!" Yena stands up. "No one's going home without getting drunk! Especially you." She points at Yujin as her other hand busily shakes the soju bottle.

She lines five cups in a row and opens the bottle in the most dramatic way. "Step one." She takes two bottles of beer, piercing two chopsticks into the tin cap with ease. "Step two, speech." She gave one to Yujin, asking her to give a small speech.

"I already did one earlier. Too bad you all didn't see it, except her." Yujin smile at Minju who was proud for not being too late.

Just then, the doors to the restaurant busted open. "Yujin-ah!" They heard Chaemin's voice travel through the area. "Chaemin is here!"

Out of excitement, Yujin runs to the guy, anti-climatically stopping to give him a light fist bump.

Over the years, they became drinking buddies. Yujin still can't drink for God's sake but he always tries to help her.

Yujin's eyes went to the girl next to him which made her go, "Aren't you—"

Chaemin pushes her back to the table, asking his co-actress to follow. "Guys, this is Roh Yoonseo. If you watched the video, you probably saw her. She's my senior, but we're all the same age."

Yoonseo gave a little wave, eyes catching Wonyoung's sharp gaze. She went over, politely asking for a handshake. "You're Wonyoung, right?"

Wonyoung nods, weirded out by the wide smile she gave.

"I've heard a lot about you. He can't stop talking about you." Yoonseo shows an annoyed expression. Maybe she isn't as bad as Wonyoung thought.

Yena clinks her glass, getting everyone's attention. "Yujin, speech." She gives her the floor for her small thank you speech.

Yujin stands up. "Ah, ah." She tests the fake microphone, clearing . "Thank you, Jesus, God, whoever is up there in the sky for letting me stand here to say a few words. It is of great pleasure to be able to say thank you to all of you—what is that?" Her eyes caught something shiny on Wonyoung's hand.

She initially wanted to distract everyone so she didn't have to speak too much but this was a pleasant surprise.

"Ya! Jang Wonyoung! A ring?!" Yena stood up the fastest, gasping the loudest.

Wonyoung balled her hand into a fist and thought she could hide it. But Chaemin smiles when everyone noticed and holds her hand up for them to see a ring on her fourth finger.

"That's right, she's mine forever." He proudly announces, hearing Yena shriek while shaking Yuri furiously.

"Wonyoung's getting married!" Yena continues shaking her, getting halted by her girlfriend.

"We know, we know." Yuri calms her down but the latter was all excited.

Yujin didn't know what to feel. Surprised? Happy? Excited? Pressured? She was a little lost but knew it was a happy thing.

She looks at Minju admiring the ring on Wonyoung's finger. Yujin pinches the brunette's shirt, pulling her away slowly. She shakes her head, not wanting that idea to sit in Minju's head.

Chaemin starts telling them what was going on. "It may be a little surprising. I've just started acting seriously so why? I have a lot of reasons to do so. Many. But there are two important ones." He puts up two fingers. "I love her too much, her dad wants me to marry her. So I asked."

"When?" Minju asked since they were all not made known to it.

Chaemin looks at Wonyoung. "Do you want me to tell them?" She gave him the choice. "I did it when I was drunk."

"Ya, what are you thinking?" They all started scolding him for not doing it properly.

"But, but." He stops them from attacking him. "That was when we came back from a family meeting. I went to her house for dinner. That's when her dad talked to me. Well, I did plan to do it soon because it's been five years but didn't know when was the best time to do so. So I guess drunk proposing made us think about going further."

"He was totally

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter