Sixteen

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While they were having dinner, Wonyoung glanced at Yujin who was opposite her, next to Minju. She was making sure the brunette's sprain was fine, but seemed like she was scolding her for being clumsy.

Wonyoung didn't know why their interaction mattered as if Yujin would choose someone other than her.

She didn't understand her own feelings. Yujin has always been getting into trouble until recently. She didn't like someone who hurts others at their own will.

But Yujin changed. All because of her.

When she stands up, Minhyun asks, "Where are you going?"

"For a walk." She has finished her food.

"You can't go alone–Yujin, are you done?" He sees the girl who had an empty plate. "Follow her."

Yujin looks at Wonyoung, then at Minju. "Okay." She stands up. "Where to?"

"Just follow her. It's dangerous."

It was supposed to be Wonyoung's alone time for her to think. Well, she can be alone with someone too.

"Let's go." Yujin finished putting on her windbreaker.

They walked wherever the small route led them to. Yujin turns on her phone's flash, lighting up Wonyoung's path.

When they were a distance away from the campsite, Yujin asks, "Why do you suddenly want to go for a walk?" She feels as if something's wrong.

"To digest my food. The weather's nice." Wonyoung clasps her hands together, feeling the soft breeze. "And I need to think."

"Of what?"

"Just stuff."

Yujin slowly nods, glancing into the darkness. She's afraid, but she had to be the tough one here. "What stuff?" She wanted to know.

Wonyoung takes in a deep breath. "How I'm going to open my heart to you."

Yujin stops walking for a bit and looks at her. "Hm?"

"You're not too bad, I realised," she said. "When you decide to change for the better." Wonyoung continues walking as the girl follows.

"You're not too bad." She repeats softly.

Yujin held back a smile, taking it as a compliment. "Does that mean you like me?"

"Not really." Wonyoung's reply made her pout.

Yujin points the flash away, making everything dark. "I'm not going to shine for you."

"Okay, okay." Wonyoung pulls her before she goes any further. "It's not that I don't like you. I just need time." She clarifies.

Even though Yujin didn't know what the time was for, she tries to understand.

"We're not that close." Wonyoung compares what they have to what she sees.

Yujin was just staring at the hand that was holding onto her wrist. "So," she said, looking at the girl. "We should hang out more," Yujin concludes.

Wonyoung gave a somewhat nod.

"I'm cool with that." Yujin smiles. "I want to know everything about you." She takes Wonyoung's hand, holding onto it.

Friends hold each other's hands. There's nothing wrong. But this gesture was heart-fluttering.

"I only know a few things about you," Yujin admits.

"Like what?"

The girl drags a hum. "You like pink...animals too. Puppies. You hate mint chocolate."

"I like mint chocolate though."

"Oh?" Yujin got the wrong information, looking at the girl who smiled.

"I love mint chocolate."

"Oh." Yujin sighs. "I thought we had something in common."

"You don't like mint chocolate?"

The girl shakes her head. "I belong to the it taste like toothpaste group." Wonyoung laughs. "I don't like it, but if you make me eat it, I'll think about it."

"That's all you know about me?"

"That's all I can remember," Yujin confesses.

"You don't like me that much then."

"Why?" She took offence to her own feelings.

"Everyone knows that about me." Wonyoung chuckles.

"Okay, Ms Popular. You should tell me what you like and don't like then."

"Aye...that's your job to find out." She tuts in disbelief. "It's not fun if I tell you everything."

"Right, not fun." Yujin sighs as they end up at the space uncovered by trees. Sitting on the ledge, she asks, "Do you like to ice skate?'

"Oh?"

Yujin raises an eyebrow. "What?"

"How do you know I ice skate?"

"You do?"

Wonyoung nods. "I've never told anyone before. Only Minhyun knows–ah, you knew Minhyun."

"But I didn't know you back then. You can ice skate?" Yujin threw back her question.

Wonyoung kicks her leg up, looking at the star-filled sky. "I was five when I started learning." A small gasp could be heard. "My mom forced me to because apparently ice skating's graceful and a girl should do it."

"Figure skating?" Wonyoung hums. "You must be extremely good then. Nevermind."

"Why?"

"The thing is–I just thought–"

"You thought you could teach me? Minhyun told me. You're really good at skating." Wonyoung shattered the little idea Yujin had.

"It's okay, we can do other things." She knew she would embarrass herself in front of Wonyoung if they ever go to the rink. "I knew you were better than her."

"Who?"

"Minju. Even after a few times, she can't skate for god's sake." Yujin shakes her head. "At least she tries hard. Now she falls fine. I think." She recalls the times the brunette said she was afraid of falling.

Wonyoung nods, trying to picture everything in her mind.

"Ah." She remembers. "Do you write letters?"

Yujin was caught a little off guard but played it cool. "Do you want me to write you letters?"

The girl couldn't deny that she has a thing for handwritten letters. It shows a person's effort. It makes her feel wanted.

Unlike text messages that could be from anyone. A best friend helps to deliver a message through the person's phone. Whatever it was, there was a space within that heart of hers for handwritten letters.

Wonyoung wasn't sure if her intuitions were right. "I know you do."

"Really?" Yujin lets out a light chuckle, earning a soft hum. "That's good." She was happy she knew.

"Yujin, Eugene."

Yujin glances at her, in the midst of retrieving something from her pocket. "Hm?"

"It's obvious. Now that I think of it."

The girl smiles, liking the way she calls her name. Soft, soothing. No one calls her this peacefully. The only other person that calls her by her name is Minju.

Ya Ahn Yujin! Instant tremors down her spine.

"What's that?" Wonyoung sees the folded piece of paper in Yujin's hand. The girl passes it to her. "The next one."

Wonyoung takes it. "Can I read it now?"

Yujin puckers her lips, giving a nod. She has nothing to lose anyway. "It's not lyrics this time."

"Why?" That answer caught her off guard.

"Someone said it was not original."

"I liked it." Wonyoung began reading the little piece of paper.

I'll continue liking you even if you don't feel the same. I have enough feelings to last a lifetime, maybe ten. I'll give it all to you.

Yujin sees that tiny smile hanging at the corner of the latter's lips, getting her all shy. She was worried it might sound weird.

Lying back out of embarrassment, she stares at the stars, thinking it would soften the thumps of her heart.

Wonyoung looks at her, fiddling with the paper. "You wrote this by yourself?" Yujin faces her and nods.

"Is it bad?"

"No, I think you have a knack for it." She looks at the paper again.

Joy greeted Yujin as her smile could no longer hide itself. "Really?" Wonyoung gave her an assuring nod.

Yujin sits up, leaning slightly closer to her. Her dreamy eyes dived into those of Wonyoung's. "Did your heart flutter?"

"A little."

Yujin leans away. "That's enough." She was more than satisfied to have shaken the girl's heart, even just by a tiny bit.

She reaches into the side pocket of her cargo pants, pulling out a small lollipop. It helps with quitting cigarettes.

"Are you Doraemon?" Wonyoung shakes her head when the girl offered it to her.

Yujin shoves the lollipop into and reaches into her other pocket.

She shows her palm. "Pikachu." She brought a tiny plastic figurine. "Doraemon for useless stuff, maybe. We have another Doraemon who's afraid to die and that's Minju. But this is cute." She fiddled with the thumb-sized figurine of a Pikachu with a blue hoodie on.

Wonyoung was surprised by this side of her she has never seen before. Yujin didn't look like someone who likes these things. Adorable things. No one would have expected it.

Yujin places it into Wonyoung's palm.

"It's kind

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter