Twenty

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the final school bell rings, Yena stretches her arms, looking around. The last exam paper has ended.

No, she didn't sleep through it. She finished it 30 minutes ago. Study sessions were effective for her.

She dashed out of the class, going towards Yuri's. She already sees Yujin waiting in the hallway. "How are you so fast?" She mumbles, standing beside her as they both looked into the class to see the teacher collecting the papers.

"You're slow." Yujin leans against the railing, folding her arms. "Have you booked the place?"

"Minhyun said he booked." They all agreed to go for a feast at one of the restaurants in the city area. "I'm very hungry, and now I don't have to think about school." Yena celebrates silently.

"I should ask her to go on a date with me."

Yujin wasn't a little bit interested in her best friend's love life when she sees Wonyoung and Minju stepping out of the class.

Minhyun arrived at the same time. "How was the paper?" He looks at the brunette. "It was a little tough. The math paper." He confesses.

"You're just dumb." Yujin scoffs.

Yujin remembers the calculus question that came out. "Did you manage to do it?" She asked Minju. "That question I taught you." It was worth at least 10 marks.

The brunette nods, seeing a small smile coming from Yujin. "Show me." They're allowed to take back their question papers. All they have to submit was the small slip of paper that had their numbered answers on them.

Minju swings her bag in front, pulling out the paper. Yujin takes it, going to the question she was referring to, seeing a big red circle around the question number. That means Minju got it right.

She slants to Wonyoung. "I taught her this." She brags about her teaching skills, hearing a light chuckle from Wonyoung.

Minju stood there, looking at the two examining her paper.

"Can we go now? I'm hungry~" Yena whines, shaking Yuri who didn't seem to be bothered, also comparing her answer with Minhyun.

Wonyoung glances at Minju when she saw the score. "You did really well." She gave a light pat to the latter's head, smiling gently.

Yujin takes Wonyoung's wrist away without looking, handing the paper back to Minju. "Let's go. We're blocking the way." Students were all making their way out of school.

...

The six friends arrived at the restaurant. It was a little too high class for a bunch of high school students.

"Is this the VIP room? So fancy." Yena takes a seat on the cushioned chair, exhaling in astonishment.

Minhyun came back after talking to the waitress. "My dad got us this table. The view's the best from here." He points his chin to the window, sitting next to Minju at the round table.

Yuri and Yena were the first to look out the window. "Ya, this is nice."

"It is nice. I've never been here before."

"Me too." Yena smiles at her. "How nice it is to have a rich friend." She giggles.

Minhyun looks at the brunette who was making herself comfortable. He takes her bag, putting it on the bench behind them. "What do you want to eat?"

"I'm good with anything."

"First time here?"

"Do I look like someone who would eat here?" Minju looks around this luxurious place that had a chandelier directly above each table.

Minhyun chuckles, taking the menu. "I'll bring you to these places more often then."

Yujin could hear them talking, looking at the menu with Wonyoung. "You've been here before?"

The girl hums. "His birthday." Wonyoung points to Minhyun. "Almost every year," she said, flipping the page.

"The steamed dumplings here are good." They're at a Chinese restaurant. "Tangsuyuk too. You like Tangsuyuk, don't you?" Yujin nods, fingertips fiddling with the cloth laid over the table.

Soon they started eating, talking about school and what they plan to do. School still resumes, but they're able to relax a little before the final mock exams.

A few months later will be the CSATs. The examination determines which university they'll be going.

"After we're done, where are we going?" Yuri asked since she had to tell her parents beforehand. Yena looks at Yujin. "We should go to a bar."

"Bar?" A few of them said in unison.

"Yes, a bar," Yena said. "We're 18. What's wrong with going to a bar?"

"Yena-ssi, do you know what a bar is?" Minhyun asks her.

"What? There's alcohol, music. Isn't that what a bar is?" She looks at Yuri who just shook her head. The latter's mother wouldn't want her to be there or smell any form of alcohol on her.

"We should go to a karaoke place," Wonyoung suggested. "I know a place that serves free-flow alcohol to high schoolers."

"Ooo." Yujin coos, never expecting her to know such things.

Yena smacks the table lightly. "Let's go there." She points at Wonyoung, giving her a thumbs up.

Yuri glances at her. "You don't even drink."

"I can." Yena proudly says.

Yujin shakes her head, biting on the dumpling. "She can't."

...

Settling down in a dim room after a heartful meal, Yena was the first to pick up the song selector. "What should we sing?"

"Yuri, Yuri." Minju points at her, knowing her best friend has a nice voice.

"She sings?" Minhyun was clearly underestimating the small girl who stood up, grabbing the mic from smiling Yena.

"Duet?" She asked Yuri who didn't hate that idea.

The brunette nods. "She was from Composing club in middle school." She told Minhyun. "Her dream was to be a singer, but her parents want her to be a doctor. She has no choice." A little sad but Yuri's parents are both doctors and they expect their only daughter to be one too.

Yuri doesn't really mind.

Wonyoung sees Yujin laughing at the two who were getting ready. "You're next."

Yujin looks at her, a can of beer in her hand. "Me?" Wonyoung nods. The latter shakes her head. "I'm not singing."

"I know you can."

"Nope."

Wonyoung pushes her shoulder. "No fun."

Yujin places the can on the table that had bottles of soju lying around. "If I sing, you must do something for me." She wanted something in return. Wonyoung folds her arms, leaning back into the chair, giving her a look of suspicion.

"What is it?"

"Be my girlfriend."

Wonyoung gave her a light kick, earning a pout.

"This one should be easier then." Yujin points at her cheek, dimple-smiling. Wonyoung furrows her eyebrows, understanding what she meant. She proceeds to poke her cheek, teasing the latter.

Minhyun was clapping along with that two duetting, glancing at Minju who was looking elsewhere. Particularly the two at the corner.

"Your friend's really feeling herself today."

Minju turns to him. "Hm?"

Minhyun points at the two singing their hearts out to Celine Dion. They might've gone for another song. "I thought Yuri was quiet."

"You thought wrong." Minju chuckles. "She and quiet don't go together. I'm glad she found someone as loud as her." She looks at Yena who sang her soul out.

"You should go next," Minju told him. "You can sing." She recalls him in the talent show a year ago.

Minhyun takes in a deep breath. "Should I?" He gave it a thought.

When the song ends, the two girls up front got tired. They sang at least three songs continuously. Yena plops onto the couch. "That was fun." She beams widely, making space for Yuri. "Who's next?"

"Ahn Yujin." Wonyoung pushes the latter to stand. She didn't grant her wish, earning a small glare from Yujin who resisted.

Not wanting to ruin the vibe, Wonyoung gave a swift peck on the girl's cheek.

"Whoa, whoa. What is this? Are you two doing something behind our backs~" Yena teases, pointing at those two. Yujin happily scoots to the front, randomising a song.

Minhyun notices a small frown on the brunette's forehead, slowly fading when Event Horizon by YounHa started playing. "Are you okay?" He asks out of concern, earning a small nod from Minju.

"Ya! Kim Minju!" Yujin points at the screen. "Your favourite song!" She remembers, asking for the latter to join her.

Minju shook her head. She likes the song, but the key's a little too high. "You sing."

"Me?" Yujin was going to anyway. She was familiar with this song.

So she sang.

The five of them sat back, vibing with the cheerful song that had a purposeful meaning.

It was about how life is filled with uncertainties and how it is important to take risks and keep in mind that there is always a chance that things may not turn out the way we planned.

Everything happens for a reason. To give us a new beginning. In order to move on to the next stage in life, you have to leave the past behind.

They each have a past that's holding them back. Letting it go and thinking of it as a memory was the only way to live, and change for the better.

"Ya..." Yena was one of the six to be impressed by Yujin's voice. "Has she been practising? Since when can she sing?" Her jaw was practically on the floor. "Must be the kiss." She tuts in envy.

Yuri glances at Wonyoung. "Does that grant her another point?" She scrunched her nose when she saw her enjoying.

Wonyoung admits Yujin has a great voice. A hidden talent none of them expected her to have.

Reaching the last verse, Yujin sang her heart out along with the lyrics. Her eyes were drawn to a particular brunette.

Minju's little beam made her smile, knowing she did a great choice choosing this song. When Yujin realises she has been looking at her for too long, she shif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter