Twenty-Seven

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BUZZ BUZZ

The constant rings of a phone made Wonyoung reach over to turn it off. That's when she realises she wasn't at home.

She froze, collecting herself when she sees Minju beside her, sleeping soundly. Wonyoung gently lifts her head off the girl's arm, sitting up slowly.

Did I really do all that? She holds onto her throbbing head, remembering everything that happened last night. I should just die right now.

She regrets to an extent, beating herself up for drinking too much last night. She blames Minhyun for pointing all the drinks at her during the games.

When she's drunk, she doesn't blackout. Wonyoung will do things she doesn't dare to when she's sober. Like confessing to someone.

Her phone started ringing again, wondering how Minju isn't affected. She looks to see Yujin calling. This isn't happening.

She declines the call and texts instead. They have school today.

Yujin: Are you still asleep?

Wonyoung: I'll head to school myself. Something came up.

Yujin usually fetches the latter to school ever since they got together. The girl didn't question too much and told Wonyoung she'll see her in school.

She looks at the time and puts down her phone. They have an hour before school.

When Minju's phone started ringing, Wonyoung quickly lies back down and pretends to sleep.

Not sure if Minju has selective hearing but that alarm woke her up. The brunette stretches her arms, rubs her eyes and stares at the ceiling.

It took her a second before rousing up, realising Wonyoung was still here. She didn't expect her to leave but would like to think last night was a dream.

She must be tired. Minju blinks hard. "She's pretty in the morning too." She gets off the bed, the memories of last night getting to her.

Brushing her teeth, she stares into the mirror. "She can't like me." She mumbles, mouth full of toothpaste. "Why does she like me? How does she know I like Yujin? Did I tell her? Why did I tell her? When did I tell her? This is very bad." She worries for both of them.

When she finishes washing up and putting on her uniform, she walked back out to see Wonyoung just sitting there, daydreaming.

"You're awake." The brunette acts normal, putting her towel aside.

Wonyoung looks at her, wondering why she isn't asking anything about last night.

"You can use the bathroom. I've put the toothbrush and toothpaste on the side. As for uniform, you can head home to change. My mom cooked breakfast, so come down when you're done." Minju didn't wait any longer, not liking the awkward atmosphere. She left the room when the latter understood.

The moment that door closes, Wonyoung breathes normally, calming her heart down.

Minju skips down the stairs, seeing her mom prepping the kitchen counter where they usually eat on since no one stays for more than 10 minutes.

"Did Wonyoung come over? Your brother said she came last night. What happened?"

Minju takes the cup off the rack and goes to the water dispenser. "I don't know either..." She mumbles. "She just had a meeting and showed up all drunk."

The lady puts the hot pot of soup on the table. "Aigoo, drunk? Is she okay?"

Minju nods. "I'll just prepare another set." She went to take an extra set of bowls and utensils. "Where's dad?"

"Off to work."

"Already?" She always misses him by a second. Mrs Kim hums, scooping rice into the bowls.

One by one, the siblings came down for breakfast. Minjung grabbed her gimbap and ran for the door, probably late for work.

"I thought she woke up early." Minjun sat in his seat, reaching for the spoon. "Where's your pretty friend?"

Minju smacks the back of his head. "Stop it."

"What? Am I wrong? She is pretty, unlike you." The brunette nearly punctures his skin with her chopsticks.

They both looked in the direction of the stairs when they heard footsteps. Wonyoung carefully walks down, trying her best to ignore the stinging pain at the back of her head. She doesn't know if it's because of the alcohol, or because she can't pinpoint why Minju is acting as if nothing happened.

"See, pretty." He's only two years older.

Minju did a small pat on the seat next to hers. "Don't mind him." She told Wonyoung, sliding a glass of water to her.

Minjun places his elbow on the counter, opposite them. "What's your name?" Warm water streams down as Wonyoung articulates her name. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

Minju immediately slaps the top of his head. "It doesn't concern you if she has one or not." She shot him a glare, receiving one.

Wonyoung watched the both of them bicker, slowly sipping on the hot soup. She felt left out but was more than elated that she didn't have to join in the conversation.

One, it's awkward. Two, her head's pounding like it has a mind of its own. Three, she's embarrassed for barging into Minju's house unannounced.

She looks at Minju as if she had something to say, but put it off when the latter's mother came over to talk to her. Just a casual conversation a mother could have with a friend of her daughter's.

...

A distance.

Wonyoung hated the distance she has with Minju after last night. They both know what happened, but no one's talking about it.

Is it better to just avoid it like how they're doing right now as they walk to school? Or should Wonyoung just confront her?

What was she afraid of losing? Their friendship? Maybe she has already lost everything. Should Wonyoung just pretend she forgot what she did? She could.

She decided to break the silence. "About last night..."

"What about last night?" Minju answers almost instantly as if she knew Wonyoung couldn't remember a single thing.

Wonyoung might just regret what she says next. "How did I end up at your place?" She clearly knew the reason. To see Minju. To come clean about her feelings before she regrets not doing anything about it.

But at what cost? What did she want Minju to do about it?

Minju looks up front, eyes filled with somewhat relief. "You don't remember?"

Wonyoung slowly shakes her head. Avoidance. It's better than bringing up something that might ruin the reality they have.

"Right, you were drunk. How much did they make you drink for you to blackout?" Minju tilts her head, not being able to look at Wonyoung.

The taller girl relaxes her shoulders. "More than I can take, apparently. To the point I can't remember anything." She lies as a way to assure Minju that she out. It's better to forget about it.

"Why, did I do something wrong?"

"Nope, not at all. If you want something wrong, you took all the blanket." Minju complains with a light chuckle, glancing at Wonyoung.

Was confessing to her not something wrong? Wonyoung didn't know if she should let this be a sense of relief.

"I did?" Her cheeks flush with embarrassment. "It didn't manage to cover my feet though." The blanket was not made for her height.

Minju took offence. "Did you just call me short?"

"Did I?" Wonyoung teases, looking at her.

The brunette shakes her head in disappointment. "Look at you, look at you. As if crashing in my bed wasn't enough." She tuts a few times. "Who knew you would be this shameless, Jang Wonyoung?"

Jang Wonyoung. Her name pleasantly rolled off her tongue.

They walked quietly, both not being able to speak up. Because once they do, last night pops up in their heads.

"The weather's nice," Minju says. A very awkward person thing to say.

Wonyoung looks at the sky. No sun, just clouds. Maybe a few sparrows flying around. It is nice weather. But Wonyoung doesn't feel nice.

Minju's hand just a few millimetres away didn't feel nice at all. She wanted to hold her, to talk to her like normal people would, like friends would. But her confession was holding her back.

It's wrong. Very wrong.

Wonyoung knew it was but still went ahead with it. In fact, she was in her right mind. Her feelings for Minju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter