Twelve

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oh?"

"Who's that?"

"Was there always a girl this pretty in our school?"

"I think she can compete with Wonyoung."

Yuri could hear all kinds of comments from the hallways. She's in class, waiting for the lessons to start. Minju being Minju, she's late.

They still have a few minutes.

"What pretty girl..." Yuri mumbles. As she was busy arranging her table, she looks up to see a girl coming to the seat behind her.

Long, brown hair, big eyes, uniform neatly tucked in. What made her turn the whole chair around was seeing the nametag with the name Kim Minju written on it.

She stares at her best friend, confused about what changed overnight. A massive makeover that made her not look like some nerd who's always late for class.

"Pretty," she utters in astonishment, gasping a little. Minju takes out her workbook halfway. "Are you really the Minju I know?"

The brunette folds her arms on the table, leaning nearer to Yuri. "What is wrong with you?" She hums, finding her best friend weird.

Minju knocks her head, waking Yuri up. "I didn't know my friend was this pretty. What did you do? Nose surgery? Eyelid surgery?" That earned her another hit on the head.

"That can't be. I saw you yesterday." Yuri wasn't in her right mind. "Did fairy godmother find you?"

"Did you hit your head somewhere? What are you talking about?"

"You're the one who hit me. I think I need you to hit me again because there's no way I have such a pretty best friend." Yuri takes her wrist. "I think he'll see you now."

"All I did was comb my hair." Minju touches the top of her head.

"Where did your glasses go?"

"Broke it." Minju sighs. "I borrowed my sister's contacts. Luckily her eyesight's as bad as mine or I would be walking into class blind." She has an older sister. Minju's the youngest in the family.

"Right, your family has bad eye genetics, but you have pretty eyes."

"Can you stop using that word? I'm not used to it."

"Well, you better be. If I find you pretty, literally anyone out there would feel the same."

Minju blushes. "I'm pretty?"

"I hate to say it, but yes." Yuri gave a forced but not-so-forced smile. "As if you're an idol." That's a high-end compliment.

Yujin stirs her jajangmyeon, blowing on them just for Yena to hit her shoulder. "Ya—"

"Isn't that Minju?"

She looks up to see the brunette walking into the cafeteria with her little friend. Narrowed eyes, Yujin confirmed it was Minju.

Nothing could hide the proud smile she had on her face. "She listened."

"Who's that beside her?" Yena was curious.

"Jo Yuri. Her friend." Yujin slurps her noodles. She sees Yena eyeballing the girl. "Why? Do you want me to introduce you to her?"

"Please."

Yujin knocks her head. "In your dreams."

"Ah, why?" Yena rubs her head.

"They both like guys. You stand no chance."

"Have you heard of trying? I'm the best at making them fall for me. Doesn't matter if they're straight. I'm cute."

Yujin shakes her head. She ever wonders how she became friends with Yena.

"Oh, right," Yena remembered. "The guys have a match today."

"Who?"

"Basketball. Are you watching?"

"Not interested."

"I heard Minhyun's injured. Happened during training."

Instead of thinking of reasons why Yena told her that, she saw it as an opportunity. Yujin looks at Minju who was tables away before turning to Yena. "He's injured?"

"Mmhm. I wonder if he can still play though. It really when the captain's injured." Yena hisses and continues eating.

...

As expected, Minju and Yuri showed up at the indoor sports hall. To watch basketball of course, not the guys.

Players from the opposing school were warming up, shooting balls and running around the court.

"Do you think he's okay?" Minju asks, eyes on Minhyun who was resting on the side bench. They slowly walked to where the spectator seats were.

"I think he's sitting out."

"Oi, Kim Minju."

The brunette turns to see Yujin arriving beside her. The girl passes her a bottle of Calpis drink, faintly gesturing to Minhyun who looked in pain even though Wonyoung was right beside him.

"What's this?"

"Just give it to him." Yujin pushes her towards the guy, staying with Yuri.

Minju looks back, unsure of what's going on as she sees the taller girl urging her to hurry up.

"What was that for?" Yuri asks the girl who brought her to the side where Yena was. "A promise," Yujin said.

Minhyun looks up to see Minju reaching out a bottle to him. "Good luck with the game. If you're playing." She encourages, having the bottle taken from her. That smile he gave influenced another on Minju's lips.

It was a drink he always drinks before a game. Like a jinx. "Thank you," he said. "I couldn't find this earlier. My favourite drink."

Minju now knew why Yujin asked her to pass this on to him. "What happened to your glasses?"

"Is it weird?" She got shy. The blood in her body found nowhere to settle, staying on her cheeks.

Minhyun shakes his head. "You look great." He smiles again. "I'll enjoy this." He lifts the bottle as soon as the whistle was heard.

Minju couldn't keep her smile to herself, back paddling back to where her friends were.

Minhyun snickers, giving one last look. "I think I'll play today," he told Wonyoung.

"But the doctor said—"

"I'm all good now." Minhyun stands up to prove his point, jumping a little.

Minju goes up to where Yujin is, sitting beside her. She peeks to see Yuri talking to another girl. "Who's that?"

"Yena."

Minju nods. "You're really watching this?" She gestures at the court, a little doubtful Yujin came

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter