Ten

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju walks through the hallway, towards the teacher's office. She had to drop off some overdue assignment notebooks for the class. (Most of them are hers)

"Need help?"

She looks to her right to see Minhyun which made her panic instantly. "Uh—"

He takes those books from her arms, carrying them for her. The gears in Minju's brain went a little too fast, affecting her train of empty thoughts.

"Why do you look flustered?" Minhyun chuckles lightly.

"I'm not." She lies, obviously.

They entered the teacher's office, placing the notebooks on the correct shelves. Minju was constantly wondering if her glasses were foggy or if it was really Minhyun who helped her.

"Can I talk to you?" Minhyun suddenly requests. Minju came back to her senses, nodding. "Sure."

She follows him out.

...

After settling on the study tables in the concourse, Minhyun opens the can of coffee he bought earlier, sliding it to Minju. "I saw you getting this the other day," he said.

Minju folds. He noticed her. She was too nervous to be nervous. She took a small sip, still wondering why Minhyun wanted to talk to her.

"You're friends with Yujin?"

Minju nearly choked, caught off guard. Why is he bringing her up? "I guess?" He nods, looking a little bothered. "Why?" Minju started to have thoughts that he was thinking of her.

She's not jealous but confused.

"How close are you to her?" He asks. "Or do you li—"

"Oh, no. We're just friends. I don't know if we're considered close." She and Yujin do have a deal with each other. "But she does tell me things."

"You know about me and her then." He assumes, seeing Minju's eyes widen.

"How do you know?"

"I'm just guessing." He nods, folding his arms on the table. "I wanted to know if she's okay."

Minju's eyebrows rose slightly. "Why?" Does he care about her? Or maybe there's something else to this whole conversation?

"Did she tell you what happened?" Minju pauses, thinking. "Between us."

"Not really." The brunette tilts her head. Part of her wanted to hear from him. "Just a little bit?" She pinches her fingers together.

Minhyun sighs softly. "I must sound like a jerk." Minju didn't know what he meant.

"Why?"

Flashback 2 years ago...

Yujin enters a café with a heavy heart. She has been wanting to be true, to tell the truth. She can't keep lying to people.

She searches the interior of the café, seeing a guy wave at her. A sigh left her lips, hand gripping the strap of her little bag.

"What's with that look?"

She sits down, putting her bag aside. Minhyun furrows his eyebrows, feeling the chills from her. "Are you okay?" He gave a brief chuckle in an attempt to brighten up the mood.

Yujin nods as he gently pushes the drink he ordered earlier towards her. "Chaewon's not coming today?" Minhyun wonders, always seeing the other girl around.

"She's not."

"Good," he said. "She's always around. I don't even get to spend time with you alone anymore." Minhyun smiles, gazing at Yujin.

"Did you dye your hair? It seems lighter." He reaches over, patting her head. "Ah," Minhyun remembers. "Do you want to go watch a movie next week? The one you told me about the other day."

He reaches for his phone, about to show her the tickets but Yujin said, "I need to tell you something."

He looks up, smiles slowly fading but he kept them on his lips. "What's up?"

Yujin takes in a deep breath. She didn't really think this is a good place to talk, but it's what he suggested. They do come to this café whenever possible.

"I've been thinking about this for a long time." She starts.

Minhyun kept his phone away, seeing her all serious. He listens to her, giving all his attention. Reading her body language, teeth tugging on her lower lip, he knew something was up.

"What is it?"

"We should stop seeing each other." Yujin finally looks at him. Minhyun's heart dropped slightly as he narrows his eyes. "What I'm saying is, let's break—"

"Why?" He cut her off. "I thought we were doing well." He forces a smile, not believing what he hears.

"What kind of—is it another guy? Who? Someone better than me?" He questions before she could explain herself. "Why are you telling me we should break up?"

"I don't want to keep lying to you." Yujin calmly voices but he didn't understand.

"So there's someone." Minhyun comes to that conclusion. There's no way Yujin would say a thing like this if there wasn't someone better than him.

He didn't want to raise his voice. "You've been distant from me ever since a month ago. Of course, I noticed. I notice everything about you. That's why I always want to know what's on your mind, so I know how to make you feel better."

"It's not another guy."

"Then what is it?" Minhyun tries to read those eyes that were once glimmering for him. But he no longer found that spark in Yujin's eyes. "You lost feelings?"

Yujin lets out a deep sigh as she scratches her head.

"What did I do? Tell me." He was getting impatient. This is something trivial and he wanted her to go straight to the point. "Is it because of Jiwon? Sakura? I told you they were just my friends and you don't have to worry about them. Why do you have to—"

"I like Chaewon." Yujin felt time stop for a long second when Minhyun went silent.

He recalls the multiple times Chaewon was present. There was no lie that they were all close to each other. It was a friendship he loved but came to love one girl more than the other.

He didn't expect his own girlfriend to do the same. "You..." He broke but didn't want to accept the thoughts in his head. "Of course you like Chaewon. What are you talking about? Why are you bringing her in?" He chuckles as a way to push his gut feelings away.

Yujin who always had a lot to say went silent, eyes laid on the table. She didn't want to look at him, knowing what is going through his head at this point in time.

Minhyun scoffs deflatedly. "Are you serious?" He asks, voice gentle with a mix of frustration. "You actually like Chaewon?" His question didn't get to the girl.

"You have...feelings for her?" Minhyun tilts his head. There was no way Yujin liked a girl. What was he then? A pushover for her to realise she didn't like him or even loved him?

Minhyun didn't need her to say anything. She stayed silent. That was all he needed. He couldn't take the pain he felt the moment he realises, after sacrificing almost everything he had for Yujin.

Skipping school to go on dates, writing a separate set of notes for her and treating everyone else coldly because Yujin was the only girl for him. Staying up, sacrificing sleep just so he could talk to her.

All that became nothing.

Standing up, he left the cafe, leaving the girl alone.

Yujin leans back into the chair, sighing. She did whatever that has been bothering her for the past few weeks. What's done is done. But now, she's stuck with no thoughts in her head. Empty sheet of nothing, unsure how to move on.

"You're cool."

She looks diagonally to her left where the voice came from. A girl in a different school uniform smiles, giving her a thumbs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter