Thirty-Three

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Completing the most crucial exam in life was something every senior in high school looked forward to. When that phase ends, that is what freedom feels like. Running out of school and knowing the last thing you'll be in school for was graduation day.

That was what freedom was for seniors.

But not at all was Minju happy. Not when she found out Yujin was no longer in school, not when she finds out the latter was flying to Switzerland after she was done with the exams here.

For the past six months, no one knew where the girl went. The reason for her withdrawal from school was unknown to everyone except Wonyoung. All they know was Yujin being homeschooled until the exams.

Though rumours still exist.

The last time Minju saw her was on the day of the exams itself. But she only saw her leaving the school gates, acting as if those memories were nothing at all. She left without turning back.

Everyone was busy admitting themselves to universities and going to open houses. It was supposed to be the most eventful thing in their lives but the brunette was lost.

She got dragged everywhere by Minhyun who had no clue what happened either. He didn't ask, she didn't tell.

They went on as if nothing happened.

The five of them are currently at Yonsei University, the university closest to their high school. Wonyoung only followed because Minju was present. She was afraid the latter might be too overwhelmed by things.

As for Minhyun, he was exploring the clubs with Yuri and Yena although Yuri had no interest in enrolling there.

Wonyoung walks beside Minju who has been nothing but quiet ever since that day. She knew the girl was trying her best to not think about it. As of now, Wonyoung was the only person who understood her.

She has seen the girl cry for nights without anyone else knowing. She has witnessed Minju trying her best to find the girl. Apparently, Yujin shifted out of her Centreville apartment and never told anyone.

Basically, Yujin was gone.

Of course, Wonyoung had to tell her about the conversation she had with Yujin on the rooftop that very day. But Minju couldn't do anything about it.

The taller girl takes her wrist and pulls her out of the building for some fresh air. They found themselves sitting at the bench near a little pond filled with koi fishes.

Minju wonders why the pond wasn't frozen with how cold it has become. Wonyoung comes back with two cups of hot chocolate in her hands, passing one to the girl. They were giving them out free at a booth tended by students.

Wonyoung leans back comfortably, slipping a heat pack into the girl's pocket without her knowing. She was too dazed to be aware of her surroundings anyway.

"You're really not going to tell him?"

"What for?" Minju sighs deeply. "It's not like things will change." She takes a small sip of hot chocolate.

Nothing will change. She couldn't stop Yujin from leaving. The only way was to move on no matter how aggravating it felt.

Wonyoung tilts her head. "Do you know you at making decisions?"

Minju has a choice to end things with Minhyun to stay true to herself but chose the other option of leaving him in the dark. Her thinking goes, "Whether he knows about her feelings for Yujin or not, nothing will change. Yujin's leaving the country anyway."

"You're the one talking." Minju retorts, noticing the gentle smile she had on her face.

Wonyoung settles the cup beside her. "You should really tell her if you're not going to tell him."

"Do you hear what you're saying now?" The brunette found her slightly ridiculous.

The taller girl nods. "Yes," she says. "I'm telling you to tell her."

"You're the last person that should be saying that to me."

"If it makes you happy."

"You think confessing to a wall would make me happy?"

"At least you get to do it." Wonyoung looked at the greener side. "It's better than not having a chance to at all. That's what a lot of people regret. It's better to have loved than to not love at all. You know that saying."

"Stop being so wise. There's no point." Minju shakes her head.

Wonyoung faces her. "You're really just going to forget everything you did with her?" She knew it hurts doing that. She knows Minju's still in pain from the sudden loss of contact.

The girl doesn't know if she should wait for Yujin to come back or if she should just move on from everything. She's stuck somewhere in between.

Wonyoung didn't want her to regret anything. She reaches into her pocket and passes a slip of paper to her. It had the details of a flight. "Tonight. 10 pm," she said. "Her flight's at midnight."

"How do you..." Minju looks up from the paper.

Wonyoung smiles. "Secret."

"I've had enough of secrets." The brunette scoffs, looking at the paper again. The word secret should be forbidden in her dictionary.

...

The skies turned dark, drawing upon the whole city.

Minju was at her desk, fingers up in her hair as her eyes stare at the piece of paper Wonyoung gave her earlier.

She looks at the digital clock on the table. It's currently 9:30 pm. She has been sitting here for the past half an hour after dinner, contemplating whether she should risk it.

It would take her more than an hour to reach Incheon Airport. Her procrastination was soon demolished when her mind goes  it and makes her grab her jacket on the way out of the room. 

She runs down the stairs towards the door.

"Where are you going this late?" Her mother questions her daughter putting on shoes at this hour. She's in the kitchen storing stuff in the fridge.

"Emergency." Minju slips out the door with hands busily booking a taxi.

"What emergency..." Her mother sees her waiting outside the gate.

Wonyoung walks out of her house with a bag of trash in her hands as she sees Minju getting into a taxi. All she could do was smile, knowing where the brunette was going so anxiously.

...

Minju's heart beats as fast as those two feet dashing past the terminal. She was late, fifteen minutes past ten.

As expected of Minju.

But she wasn't going to give up just yet.

She squeezes through the crowd, heading towards the departure terminal. Wonyoung said she would find her there.

The only thought Minju had in her head was Yujin being alone. She knew her parents weren't around. And if their friends don't know about today, who else would be here?

No matter where Minju stood, her height was at a disadvantage. But she managed to squeeze her way through, enough for her to see the line of people queuing up to enter the departure hall.

It only took a few seconds for her to spot the girl she has been looking for. The height was what she looked out for. And the case of the phone the girl was holding onto.

That darn frog sticker.

Yujin keeps her phone in her pocket when her turn was up. She hands the officer her passport.

"Ahn Yujin!"

Yujin recognises the way that voice sends shivers down her spine.

"Your ticket miss?" The officer asks.

"Ahn Yujin!"

Yujin stops looking for her ticket when she turns to see Minju behind the railing that separates passengers from locals.

She could just leave in an instant but clearly the brunette was upset. Those reddened eyes and nose told her everything.

The officer was waiting for the ticket but Yujin says, "Hold on." She received her passport back, letting other people go ahead.

She goes to the side, pulling her luggage along. When she sees Minju just standing there in that empty space, crying, she then knew there wasn't an end to how much a heart could ache for a person.

She kept her distance from the girl, wondering how Minju knew where she was on which exact date.

Flashback to a week ago...

Wonyoung sits in a cafe, patiently waiting for someone. Her eyes went to the glass door when a familiar face enters.

Some could say she has great persuasive skills for Yujin to be sitting opposite her aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter