Seventeen

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"These are the topics that will come out for the May mock exams..." The teacher announces the exam details.

Minju dazed into thin air, unconsciously nibbling her lower lip. As the class gets dismissed, Yuri shifts her chair next to Minju.

Her weird posture made her go, "What's up with you?"

"Huh?" The brunette turns to her. "Oh. Class ended."

"Yeah, class ended. Are you daydreaming? Right, you're Minju." Yuri shakes her head. "You've been acting weird."

"What's weird?" The brunette fumbles with her bag, packing her things.

Yuri did the same and explained, "You're not listening to class, or to me. Ever since we went camping, you came back all different. Are you Kim Minju or some whacko who came back with us?"

"Ya."

"I'm just saying." The girl stands up with her bag. "It's like you came back with a different personality."

Minju's lips created a thin slit as she followed her out of the class.

"What have you been thinking about? Give your empty head a break." Yuri knocks her head, earning a glare. That empty head of hers was filled with someone she didn't know she would think of.

"Where are we going?"

"Study cafe. We all agreed to go." Right, Minju has forgotten about the plans they made.

"Yujin's coming?"

Yuri hums. "She's the smarter one out of us two. Of course she's coming. Funny how she's smart." She scoffs. "I thought she only knew how to–"

"Hurry up or you'll get your beaten." Minju pushes her to walk faster.

...

Once they reached the study cafe nearby, Minhyun was seen carrying drinks from the counter. "There are only seats by two left. I told her to come earlier, but students in this area are trained to run." He shakes his head as Yujin came their way.

She retrieves two ice americanos. "You're coming with me." She asks Minju to follow her. The brunette sighs, tailing behind.

"You're with me. Wonyoung said she'll tutor Yena."

"I can tutor Yena." Yuri offered.

Minhyun tilts his head. "Really." He wasn't convinced. Yuri was in fact not confident she could and follows the guy instead.

"Why am I with you?" Minju complains, putting her bag on the cushioned bench as Yujin sits opposite her.

"Wonyoung's smart, you're not. She doesn't need tutoring, you do. Before you say anything, he can't teach math." Minhyun could only do math by memorising steps, not teach.

"And you can?" Minju had not a little ounce of belief in her.

Yujin folds her arms on the table, accepting whatever challenge there was. "You'll keep looking for me once I do. Calculus is my forte which you  at."

Minju stops arguing, knowing the girl had an academic history with mathematics. Apparently, she's good with numbers.

She didn't believe her at first until she heard the teachers talking.

"Did you take down the topics?" Yujin asked, pulling out her notebook.

Minju nods. "I can do everything but calculus."

"You have me. Don't worry." That was the first time Yujin has ever said something this assuring. She puts on her clear glasses, the ones Minju has never seen before.

"Since when do you wear glasses?"

"I always did, but never bring them." Yujin takes a finger-sized bottle of eyedrops and pushes it towards Minju. She tends to have dry eyes. "Which question do you want to do first?"

The brunette flips open her workbook, going to the questions that had stars beside them. Yujin takes a look. "I can't get the answer." The girl could tell since the paper was almost see-through with the number of times Minju has tried this question.

Yujin takes her own notebook, turns it to Minju and starts explaining the steps. "You'll have to integrate the equation before finding the area under the curve. How you do that is..."

Minju listens attentively, glancing at the girl whenever she could. That's until she completely stopped looking at the notebook.

Yujin met with her gaze. She uses her pen to hit the brunette's head. "Are you listening?"

Minju rubs her head. "Why are you so gentle?" She was surprised, expecting a harder knock on her head.

"Why, do you want me to hit you harder?"

"No." She stays focused. "What's next?" She looks at the girl so she could continue.

"Listen carefully," Yujin warns.

After a minute, she lets Minju solve the question on her own as she takes a sip of her drink.

Yujin feels a leg nudging hers. She peeks under the table before looking at Minju. "Are you flirting with me?"

The brunette looks up. "What?" Yujin gestures below which made Minju realise. She slants her posture. "No one asked you to have legs this long."

Yujin chuckles, using her leg to shift Minju back to where she was. They were in the corner seat. If the brunette were to shift any further, she would be joining the other table with strangers.

"Just finish the question." Yujin encases the girl's legs between hers and Minju gave her a small glare.

Wonyoung who was with Yena watched whatever those two were doing. Wasn't tough when their seat was directly opposite theirs, just on the other side of the cafe.

Yena looks over her shoulder when she noticed Wonyoung looking elsewhere. She sees Yujin laughing at Minju for getting pen ink on her chin.

She examines Wonyoung's expression. Dull eyes, clenched jaw. It was as if something was taken from her. "You wished I were her huh." Yena gets her attention.

"Hm?"

"Yujin," Yena said.

"No." Wonyoung denies, putting her pen to work.

"No my foot. You're jealous." The girl sighs. "Anyone who passes by can tell, Wonyoungie." She pokes Wonyoung's hand.

"I knew you'd come to like my merciless dog. Do you want me to switch places with her?" Yena was about to stand but the girl made her sit back down.

"I don't like her." Wonyoung lets her go.

Yena tilts her head. "You do. Stop lying to yourself."

"I'm not."

"Why? You're scared? She already likes you, what's there to be scared about? You should be me. I like someone who doesn't like me back but I'm fine. Totally fine." Yena pats her own shoulder as a form of support.

"You like her, just tell her."

"I don't."

"Deny all you want." The girl shakes her head. For one, Yena's the type of person who would confess just to be rejected so she could move on.

Easy-going, unlike Wonyoung.

After a few hours, they all decided to head home.

"I'm heading the other way, so bye." Minhyun waves, tired after hours of teaching. Yena follows him since she goes the same way.

Yujin turns to Wonyoung. "Don't you live near here?"

"I have class." Night lesson.

"Oh." Yujin puckers her lips.

"I'll go first." Wonyoung bids goodbye.

Yujin then realises Yuri was gone, leaving her with Minju. "Yuri?" The brunette points at the girl who was running across the overhead bridge. "She overshot her curfew."

"Who has curfews nowadays..."

Minju starts walking as Yujin catches up. "Why are you following me? Your house is on the other side."

"I'll walk you home."

"Why?"

"I'm bored." Yujin stretches her arms, yawning. "Although it'll be better if Wonyoung was here. I didn't know she had a night class." She mumbles, sighing.

"You should've just gone home then. Why disrupt my quiet walk?"

"I like walks too," Yujin said. "I'm keeping you company. What if some weird man abducts you?"

"I've been walking this route for years. I'm more concerned that you're the weird one that'll abduct me."

Yujin knocks her head. "You're tiny. Easy target."

"I think I would die in your hands instead." The brunette retorts.

They crossed the road, going onto the pedestrian path. Yujin shifts Minju away from the road as she walks along the edge instead. "I've been wanting to ask you something."

"What?" Minju's eyes were stuck to the pavement.

Yujin looks at her. "Why don't you text me anymore?"

"I don't in the first place."

"No, you always send me weird stuff. You don't do that anymore." Minju always responds with the hundreds of frog stickers she had on her phone. Sometimes even cropping Yujin's face onto one of them.

Yujin hated it but found it funny later on. She didn't expect to miss getting unwanted stickers at any hour of the day.

"Ah." She then realises, pulling Minju towards her. "You're texting Minhyun instead, aren't you?"

The brunette frowns. "So?" She doesn't text Minhyun. Minju was never a texter, to begin with. She only ever sends stickers as a form of expressing herself. Sometimes she wonders if she was born in the wrong era.

"Huh. You forgot all about me after I helpe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter