Twenty-Eight

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju carefully brought her tray of school food, sitting opposite Yuri. The girl looks at her, wondering where the others were. It was just the two of them.

"Where's Minhyun?"

"Admin stuff," Minju said. She realises, dating the president of the school would mean time was something they barely have. "Yena?"

"University consultation." Yuri shrugs. "Have you done yours?"

"Haven't been called. My name starts with an M, I'll be one of the last to be called." She sips on the kimchi soup. "When will they stop serving kimchi soup? Summer's coming."

"I don't see those two anywhere." Yuri looks around.

"Who?"

"Yujin and Wonyoung. They must be having the time of their lives. I'm jealous." She shakes her head slowly as if she doesn't get a chance to experience what they have.

Instead of looking around, Minju asks, "How are you and her? Nothing's going on?"

Yuri knew who she meant. "I'm not ready."

"Why?"

"You know why. My parents would kill me if they find out I'm dating someone when the exams are near. Even worse, I think I'll be kicked out of the house if they know it's a girl."

Conventional parents.

"Have you told her that? That your parents..." Minju lets out a small sigh. "Sometimes, I wish you could have my parents so you wouldn't live like this."

"Thank you, but this is my life. I can't get away from it. Must be a curse," Yuri said. "I haven't told her and I don't want to."

"You're making her wait for nothing. Literally. You should tell her."

"She'll get hurt. I don't want her to get hurt. If only she's like Yujin, I might not hesitate to reject her."

"What do you mean?" Minju didn't like what she heard. As if Yujin's some pushover.

"Not so nice. Yena's too nice, it hurts to know that I can't do anything about us."

"Yujin's nice. What do you mean?"

Yuri took a pause, wondering if her ears had water in them. "Did you just say Yujin's nice?"

Minju quietly eats her food, but the latter's stare was pressuring for an answer. "No...What I mean is, Yujin's nice too. Why would you reject her? She can get hurt too. She's human."

"Ya, Kim Minju. I was just making a comparison. Why are you being so defensive? I'm not wrong either. I know she's nice but she still gets into trouble. I saw her the other day—"

"What are you talking about? What trouble?" Minju cuts her off.

Yuri quickly sealed , shoving food in it so she wouldn't have to talk. Minju gave a light kick to her shin. "What trouble?"

Yuri looks at her and chews her food. "I was supposed to keep it from you," she mumbles with a mouth full but swallows her food. "She got into a small accident?"

"What accident?"

"She hit someone. Intentionally." Yuri saw everything that happened at the back of the school while she was on recycling duty.

"When?"

"Yesterday?" That's the last time they both saw the latter.

Minju places her spoon down. "Why?"

"How would I know? I saw it, that's all. She totally ambushed three girls. They looked like they were arguing—" She stops talking when Minju started leaving. "Ya! Where are you going?!" She was dumbfounded but saw Wonyoung crossing Minju's path.

The taller girl was also wondering what was up with those stomps. She sat opposite Yuri. "What happened?" She looks back at Minju who left the cafeteria.

"Where's Yujin?" Yuri asks, worried Minju might go looking for the girl.

Wonyoung shrugs. "You don't know? She's your girlfriend."

"That doesn't mean I should know where she is all the time. I'm not a stalker."

Yuri puffs out a hefty sigh and hopes she doesn't get into trouble for telling Minju. At the same time, she wonders why Yujin specifically told her to keep it from Minju, but not Wonyoung.

...

Minju looks into Yujin's class but doesn't see the girl anywhere. She goes up to Yuna. "Where's Yujin?"

"Oh? Aren't you that little friend? How cute." The taller girl couldn't help but give a small pat to Minju's head. The brunette shifts away, demanding an answer.

"You're too adorable to be looking this angry," Yuna crosses her arms. "The teacher called for her five minutes ago. You'll probably find her in the teacher's office."

Minju walks off without a word, confusing the girl.

She passes through the students who were waiting for university consults, happening to bump into Yujin who stopped in her tracks.

She had a piece of paper in her hand which she slowly folds, hiding it in her pocket. With her hair tied up, it isn't difficult for Minju to see a muscle patch down the line of her shoulder that connects to her neck.

Students were all talking about how worried about their current grades but Minju didn't hesitate to take the latter's wrist and pulled her to follow.

Yujin's eyes stayed on her, wondering what was going on when they walked in the direction of the rooftop.

The door swings open and that's when they stopped walking.

"Are you okay? Why did you pull me up here without saying a word?" Yujin watched as Minju took both her hands, flipping them as if she were examining them.

Her knuckles were in a faint shade of red with subtle abrasions on them.

Yujin took her hands back. "What?"

"Why did you do it?"

"Do what?" The girl acts dumb, noticing the frown Minju gives when she hides her concern.

"Why did you come out from the infirmary?"

Yujin knew she couldn't hide from the girl. "I fell," she said.

"Are you going to keep lying to me?" The brunette reaches for her collar so she could prove her point. No one falls on their neck.

Yujin takes her hands away. "Why are you asking when you already know what happened? They deserved it."

"No one deserves anything."

"They did—ah, whatever. It already happened. The teacher let me off. Let's go. I'm hungry." Yujin starts bringing her to the door, not wanting to continue this conversation.

"You promised me to not fight." Minju starts nagging as they went down the stairs.

Yujin shoots a sigh as she felt a hand going into her pocket. "Ya—"

The brunette took the piece of paper, running away. "What's this?" She opens it as the latter tries to catch her.

"Kim Minju! You're going to fall if you run down the stairs!"

The brunette stops running when they reached the first level. "Potential expulsion?"

Yujin snatches the paper away. "I'll not fight anymore. I swear. This is nothing." She crushes the paper. "And will you stop running whenever you can? Why are you so fast..."

"Please," Minju said. "Stop getting hurt." She walks back to her class before Yujin could say anything.

"Ya!" The latter yells, wondering why she felt the brunette's concern for her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter