Thirty-Eight

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Just make sure not to overexert yourself and eat your medicine on time. Other than that, you can be discharged now." The doctor told Minju whose smile couldn't get wider. It has only been a day since she woke up but she desperately wants to get out of this room.

Yujin did a small bow, watching the doctor leave the room. She's the only one who stayed overnight and the whole day so the brunette wouldn't get too bored. 

Most of the time, she was busy running around doing whatever the brunette demanded. Also, Minju had to go through a lot of post-scans to make sure she was fine to leave.

She looks at Minju who was taking a video call from her parents who couldn't be there.

"Do you have someone to take care of you back at the dorm? Where's Wonyoung?" Mr Kim puts his face close to the screen as if he could see beyond it.

Minju glances at Yujin who was bringing the cups to the bathroom. The brunette slowly turns her phone to face the girl. "She's not here but this one is."

"I'm this one?" The taller girl comes out of the bathroom to see Minju's phone pointed at her.

Mrs Kim came into the screen. "Omo, omo, let me see who's this pretty girl." Minju flips her phone back. "Not you. Who's that?"

Yujin might've blushed from being called pretty as she goes to the side of the bed, appearing on the screen. She gave a small wave to Minju's parents.

"Aigoo, how pretty. Where did you come from?" Mrs Kim was starting to wonder where Minju's friends came from.

"From my mom," Yujin whispers, getting slapped on her shoulder. "I'm Yujin." She introduced herself.

"Hold on," Mrs Kim squints. "Did you come over before? I think I've seen you once." She tries to recall.

"Mom, I'm ending the call," Minju predicts the lady asking all sorts of questions that don't regard her. "I want to get out of here."

Her parents didn't want to bother her any longer, knowing she was being discharged. "Yujin-ah! Take care of my stupid sister for me!" They heard a shout that probably came from Minjung.

"Wonyoung wasn't lying. Your mom likes pretty things." Yujin pats her face, self-aware, going back to pack up some things.

"What pretty...crazy." Minju gave a disgusted look before standing up.

"I heard that."

The brunette rolls her eyes and puts on her shoes. She glances at Yujin who was trying to figure out how to put the sofabed back to its original state. Pretty.

...

Yujin walks into the dorm room, tailing behind Minju.

"Are you sure you want to stay here?" The brunette places her bag on the kitchen counter and sees Yujin looking at something on the doorframe.

The taller girl sighs, closing the door for now. "I have nowhere else to go. I didn't even have the time to book a hotel." She told Minju. "I couldn't be bothered."

"I only have one bed." The brunette points to the bed. This dorm has no other room since it's one by itself.

Yujin left the luggage aside. "And?"

"And..." Minju knew there was a rule that students couldn't let outsiders spend the night in their room. But that rule is barely adhered to.

"You're uncomfortable?" The taller girl stood where she was. "Because you haven't seen me for two years?"

"It's not that. But sleeping..." Minju couldn't stop the heat from crawling up her neck to her cheeks.

"It's not like we haven't slept together before," Yujin remembers the camp.

Minju scratches her head but realises she wasn't supposed to. "But that's different."

"What's different?" The girl goes to the water jug, helping herself to some water. She pushes a cup to Minju, seeing that embarrassed frown. "Ah, because you like me?"

"I don't know, don't talk to me!" The brunette scampers to the bathroom, causing Yujin to laugh.

"Are you going to shower? You'll need my help!" Minju can't get the wound wet.

...

Sitting in the middle of the bathroom, Yujin had her pants rolled up and her hair tied into a bun. A shallow pail sat in her lap with Minju lying down, using her knees as support.

Her glare was pinned on the girl. "How is this going to work?"

Yujin figures out a way. "I'll just avoid that area. It's small so we should be fine." She reaches over for the showerhead. She knew she was going to get wet.

Minju squeezes the end of her shirt. "Is it going to hurt?"

"How would I know?" Yujin looks out for the part that had the tiniest waterproof bandaid. She tests the temperature of the water, seeing Minju tightly squeezing her eyes together.

She held back a smile when it felt like she trusted her. No arguments, no retaliation.

"You must really like me." Yujin starts rinsing the ends of her hair.

"Ah!"

"Wha-what?" She points the showerhead away.

"Don't say that," Minju warns and points at her. "Just wash my hair. Don't talk about that."

Yujin puckers her lip, going back to rinse. "But it's true."

Minju extends her arm back, giving a small pinch to the girl's stomach. "Ouch." Yujin reacts verbally.

She pumps the shampoo a few times, careful with the girl's head. A question got caught in . Yujin has never felt the need to be conscious of Minju's feelings when she asks about something.

"How did everything happen?"

Minju opens her eyes. "I can't remember."

Yujin stops scrubbing her head. "You can't remember?" Then she realises, Minju didn't want to talk about it. "Got it."

The brunette looks at her. "I still don't get it," she said. "How did you know I was here or what happened? It's not like you kept in contact with any of us."

"Not until recently," Yujin answers, hearing a hum. She sighs, not knowing she'll be telling her everything so soon.

"I wasn't supposed to come back till later this year. My dad wants to open a ski resort here, in Korea. I didn't go to college in Switzerland but he wanted me to. But I told him I had nothing I wished to do so I ended up staying there. Then I realise I liked doing something."

"What's that?"

"Film," Yujin said. "You have no idea how many photos and videos I took there. Everything was so pretty. You could say I fell in love. He wanted me to further my studies and do what I like. At the same time, he wants me to take care of his business here. So I looked for Wonyoung. You do know her dad has a ton of connections." She gives a final rinse to Minju's hair.

"Didn't know you could fall in love with something."

Yujin snickers. "So she was the first person I called. But then one day, which was two days ago, she called me saying you were in the hospital." She could still feel her heart drop upon receiving that call when she was closing up the resort for the day.

"She said it was bad but I didn't how bad it was so I just flew back thinking I wouldn't be able to see you any more if I didn't." She takes the towel from the sink top, wrapping Minju's hair with it.

Yujin gently sat her up and saw her staring. "Why?"

Minju's heart fluttered, hearing her say I came here for one reason and that's you. "You could've just waited. Why did you fly over without confirming anything?"

Yujin supports her in standing up. "If I did, I might be too late. Who knows what might happen to you?" They walked out of the bathroom.

Minju narrows her eyes. "You're worried that I might die?" She heard a hum and got sat on the desk chair. "I think you might kill me instead." She couldn't seem to stop her heart from raging against her ribcage.

Yujin gently rubs the towel against Minju's head. "Why would I kill you?"

"You used to want to do that." The brunette takes the towel from her. "You should go shower. If you took the plane and came to the hospital right away, that leaves you not being able to shower for more than a day. Smelly."

"Smelly? If it wasn't you who made me come all the way here."

"I didn't."

Yujin goes to her luggage and says, "I know." She couldn't win this argument. "Don't use the hairdryer." She reminds Minju before going into the bathroom.

The brunette shakes her head. All this happened too suddenly, her damaged brain was still trying to process the last two days. How could disaster feel so good?

Yujin peeks out the door. "Do you have a spare towel?" She sees Minju point to the cupboard right outside the door.

...

Minju finishes putting back the clothes Wonyoung brought from the dorm while she was in the hospital. Seeing the main door open, she walks in front to see Yujin sitting on the floor, doing something to the doorframe.

"What are you doing?"

The girl glances over her shoulder. "Cleaning," she said. There were specks of blood at the bottom of the doorframe. She didn't like how it was just there and no one cared to clean it. It's not a pleasant thing to see.

Minju squats beside her. "Wow, a lot of blood came out of my head." She sees the tissues scattered on the floor. She looks at Yujin who was focused on getting the tiniest bits out of the cracks.

She expected a you became dumber insult but nothing came. Instead, she sees a small frown on the girl's forehead.

Minju pokes her arm, getting her attention.

Yujin looks at her, relaxing her facial muscles. All the bad thoughts in her head slowly disappear, looking at the pair of eyes she has failed to notice. That smile she never knew was because of her. The smile that sent unknown jitters through her body, imprinted in her mind.

"Do you have time to talk?" Minju didn't really want to disturb whatever she was doing. She seemed really concentrated.

Yujin snaps out of her trance and looks away for a brief second. She looks back at her. "You have all my time." Nothing else matters when she's willing to give her everything.

Minju n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter