Twenty-Nine

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju closes the door after leashing up JJ. Her brother usually walks the dog but Minju wanted some fresh air today.

"You gotta stop wagging your tail in my face." She finishes putting on her shoe, letting the dog pull her towards the gate.

When she steps out, she notices Yujin in the middle of the road, looking at her phone. The latter turns when she heard gates closing.

Minju's breath got stuck in , not expecting to see her here. "Why are you here?"

"Can I not be here?" Yujin looks at her phone again but sees nothing. She sighs, seeing JJ nudging her leg. "Walk?"

Minju hums. She looks at Wonyoung's house, not forgetting that very night. "Why aren't you going in?" She gestures to the house with her chin.

Yujin looks at her, halting her head pats. "She's not answering my phone. I don't know what's going on." She pushes her hair back.

Minju remembers the lights in Wonyoung's room going off a few minutes ago. "She's probably sleeping."

"So early?"

"How would I know? I'm not the one dating her, you are." Minju scoffs. She started walking when there wasn't anything else to talk about.

Yujin follows behind her and eventually stuck to her side.

"You should just call her again. Her lights went off not long ago. Why are you following me?" Minju grips the leash so JJ wouldn't run ahead. The puppy grew much stronger ever since the last time she took her on a walk.

Yujin puts her hands into her pockets. "I think she needs some time alone. She has been doing too many things lately. I don't want to keep bothering her." She puffs a sigh as if that's the exact reason.

"This is tough." Yujin tilts her head to the sky.

Minju glances at her. "What is?" The latter seemed a lot more stressed. She hasn't been talking to Yujin as often.

"Dating," she said.

The brunette scoffs softly. "You're regretting now?"

"Not that." Yujin relaxes her shoulders. "It's so difficult to just talk to her. I'm not saying she's difficult. It's just, I feel like I'm pressuring her to tell me things I want to know. If I say something wrong, I won't know what's wrong unless she tells me. But to find out, I have to dig deeper into her. I don't like doing that. It's uncomfortable for us both."

They walked through the park entrance, following where the dog led them.

"Why? Is she keeping something from you?"

Yujin didn't want to nod but went with it. "She didn't keep it from me. She told me. She said she made some mistake but never told me what it was. I don't feel like asking her about it."

Minju swallows thickly, reaching into the handle of the leash for a plastic bag. Bending down, she picks up whatever JJ left on the grass, tying the ends of the plastic.

"Are you seriously picking up while you're talking to me?"

"I'm here to walk the dog. You're not my priority." Minju's words stung but she was right.

She sees how Yujin was fighting with her own thoughts, kicking the grass. "So what? Did you ask her what is it?"

Yujin shakes her head. "Not yet. Why do I feel like it's something bad? I told her it was nothing bad but why does it feel this way? Why do I feel as if she's slowly ignoring me? What did I do wrong?" She follows Minju to the bench and sat down.

Minju sees her frustration. "Why do you think it's something bad?"

"If it's not, explain why she's ignoring my calls."

"She's sleeping. You said she's tired."

Yujin sighs deeply. "There's something. I can feel it. I just don't know what it is." She tilts her head over the back of the bench, looking at the sky.

JJ came between Minju's legs, looking for head pats. The brunette rests her palm on the puppy's head.

"You?"

"Hm?"

"Minhyun. Are you two going well?" Yujin's eyes were staring at the abundant sky.

"You care about your own relationship. Why do I need to tell you anything?"

"I played a big part in your relationship. I'm permitted to receive some kind of news." She peeks at the girl.

"There's no news."

Yujin sat up and looked at her as if she were surprised. "Completely nothing?"

"You of all people shouldn't be concerned." Yujin does have a history with Minju's current boyfriend. A nasty one. "Why do you want to know?"

"I just wanted to know if you're happy or not. You seemed so elated just thinking about him."

"Why?"

"What, why? If he makes you mad or sad or anything, I'll kill him. Without hesitation."

"Why?" Minju didn't like the false hope her heart was desperately trying to grasp.

"I won't let him off if he hurts you."

"So, why?" Why does Yujin care if she gets hurt or not?

Yujin was a little puzzled by all the whys. "I have part of the responsibility for getting you involved with him, knowing what he's like. Stop asking why. If he tries to do anything, I'll throw him into the river." She mimics the action of throwing, aiming into the reservoir.

"How annoying," Minju whispers, not wanting to be delusional about the unwanted concern Yujin was showing. As if she meant something to her when in reality, she's nothing in the girl's eyes.

She couldn't lie that Yujin's words did something to her poor heart. But Minju knows the girl is only saying it for the underlying hatred she has for Minhyun and not for her wellbeing.

"But it was the first time I saw her cry." Yujin suddenly utters. "Wonyoung."

Minju looks at her weirdly. "Why are you telling me?"

"You're the only person I can talk to about her. Who else am I supposed to talk to? Yena?" Yujin scoffs in disbelief. "She's too busy trying to chase the girl of her dreams to even remember I exist." She rolls her eyes playfully.

"We were sitting there." Yujin points across the reservoir. "After telling me she made a mistake...she cried. Out of nowhere."

Minju looks at the floor, knowing whatever that mistake was. She assumed it was what she had in mind. It was also the first time she saw Wonyoung cry. In her house, on her bed.

"It must be really bad that it made her cry, right?" She looks at Minju for answers.

"How would I know..." The brunette scratches the puppy's chin, distracting her thoughts. She was at the tip of the iceberg for holding in all the truth. Lying is hard when it involves the person she's talking to.

"It must be something she can't tell me. Like something you can tell a friend but not your girlfriend, right?"

"Am I the Akinator? I can't read her mind. I'm not her either." Minju didn't like how they were talking about someone who isn't here. 

Yujin suddenly holds onto Minju's shoulders so she would face her. She stares at her for a second as Minju dreads the contact between them. "Do you like gifts?"

Minju frowns at her, shifting her hands away. "What now?"

"Should I give her something? If you're sad, what would you expect?" Yujin asks her, treating her like a vending machine of answers.

Minju knew she had to say something so the latter wouldn't persist with her questions. "Food," she said.

"Food?"

Minju nods. She could've said flowers or a letter but chose food. That's all because Wonyoung's housekeeper isn't around these few days or even weeks. 

Yujin recalls. "Oh right. Food. She liked my food."

"You can cook?"

The taller girl looks at her, sensing that feeling of doubt. "I can do anything. I made her kimchi stew the other day and she absolutely loved it." She smiles at the memory and got met with a wall. "But that's all I can cook. I shouldn't make her something she already had. Do you know how to cook?"

Minju shakes her head.

"There's really nothing you can do." Yujin pats her head as a form of consolation. The brunette flips her hand off.

They started walking back after a while. Yujin waves when the brunette walks into her house as her phone starts to vibrate in her pocket.

She took it, seeing Wonyoung's name on the screen. Immediately she looks into the latter's house and answers the call.

"Can you come over?" That was the first thing Wonyoung says. She sounded a little down which made Yujin prepare herself to do a little comforting.

"I'm downstairs." She sees the curtains of a window split, revealing Wonyoung peeking through. Yujin gave a small wave as the call ended.

Wonyoung's door opened when she reaches. Before Yujin could say a word, the latter's arms went around her, pulling her into a hug.

It felt like Wonyoung needed that hug with how her arms were tightening around her.

Minju closes the curtains of the sliding door, stopping halfway when she saw the two at Wonyoung's doorstep. She hasn't seen Yujin this affectionate before.

Hands cupping Wonyoung's face, looking into her eyes while saying things she obviously couldn't make out. A tug was felt in her heart, telling her to wake up to reality.

Yujin came here for Wonyoung even when the latter didn't tell her to. She turned up sensing something was wrong, all by herself.

Envy drowns her day by day. Not that she wanted Minhyun to be like her. She herself knows who she wants but doesn't accept it.

"You look tired." Yujin examines those eyebags, pushing back a strand of Wonyoung's hair. They're still at her doorstep and the latter hasn't said a word. Just a hug.

Yujin smiles, not wanting the girl to feel stressed by whatever's in her head. "Do you know they said ice cream could help make a person feel better?" She takes Wonyoung's hand.

"Ice cream?"

Yujin hums and starts pulling her along. Something in her said Wonyoung wanted to talk about something. That's why she asked her to go over.

But Yujin thought she could use a little sugar to lift her mood. It always helps.

After getting a cup of mint chocolate ice cream at the newly opened stall, they walked towards the tiny playground in front of a preschool nearby, just a few houses away.

Yujin fed her a spoonful, sticking the spoon into the ice cream. Wonyoung looks at her. "Why did you only get one?"

"We can share."

"You don't like mint chocolate." The girl remembers hearing how much Yujin hated that flavour.

She slowly sat on the swing, looking at the girl who sat on the other. "You're right. I don't like mint chocolate," Yujin said. She tries a scoop of it, failing to show how much she dislikes the minty feeling of the ice cream. "But I'll like whatever you like." She sighs, managing to swallow.

Wonyoung finally smiles. "You don't look like you like it."

"Oh, I do." Yujin looks at her and back at the green thing mixed with chocolate bits in her cup.

"No, you don't." She wanted Yujin to give up.

"As much as I like it, you love it more than I do." Yujin passes the cup

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter