Thirty-Nine

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was at its highest today and Minju could just feel the heat from it. Summer came around. The warmth fills her as she tosses around the bed wondering what was smelling so good.

Beef bone soup? Omelette? She couldn't quite make it out but knew it smelt great.

What stumped her was not seeing Yujin anywhere in the bed. She looked at the floor and even under the bed to make sure. She lies back down. Was it all a dream?

"You finally woke up."

Minju got a little startled by the voice, tilting her head up to see a blurry figure walking towards the bed.

Yujin chuckles when she saw her squinting her eyes. "I heard you can't tell a person's face with a degree as high as yours." She slid the girl's glasses on so she could see. "Better?"

"It's not a dream." Minju found herself smiling first thing in the morning.

Yujin squats down. "The doctor did say you might feel delusional because you hit your head hard but this is not a dream." She assures her. "Does it still hurt?"

"It's so weird seeing you like this." The brunette pushes her hair back.

Yujin knew she'd have to get used to everything. She stands up. "I made you breakfast according to what Google and the doctor told me," she says and walks to the little kitchen to check on the soup.

"Breakfast?"

Yujin turns around. "Why do you sound so surprised?" Minju made it sound like she has never seen someone prepare breakfast for her before.

"I don't eat breakfast." Coming from someone who always runs to classes. Minju rarely has breakfast.

Yujin straightens her back. "Really?" She was a little disappointed. Not at her but at the person who supposedly took care of her while she wasn't around.

Minju shakes her head and stands up. "I'll eat."

No matter how rich Minhyun could have been, Yujin didn't believe he hasn't cooked for her once. "He didn't cook for you?" She did notice how Minju looked tinier than she was two years ago.

The brunette shook her head. She went into the bathroom and did her morning routine.

Yujin sighs, going to plate the food. As she scoops out the rice, she starts talking to herself. "How can he not cook for her? What boyfriend doesn't cook? He should be called trash—he's trash. I can't believe..."

Minju peeks out of the bathroom door when she hears little mumbles of rants. She watched Yujin pour the soup into a bowl with a frown as if it did something wrong to her.

Cute. She goes back into the bathroom before getting caught.

Yujin places two cups of warm water on the tiny foldable table and sees Minju wiping her feet against the bathroom rug.

"I don't remember having anything in the fridge," the brunette looks at the table filled with food.

Yujin sat on the floor and handed her chopsticks and a spoon. "I went out." It's currently 9 am. "While you were sleeping."

"And how early is that?"

"When the sun came up. So 6?"

Minju gasps. "That early? Are places even open at that timing?" She earned a nod as Yujin gave her some medicine, asking her to eat them.

Minju easily downs it with water and got asked to eat before everything goes cold.

She looks at the food, amazed by how good it looked. Yujin puts a piece of omelette roll in her bowl. "Try it."

"I trust you." Minju did have a little worry that it could've been too salty or sweet. But the moment she bit into the egg, just the taste of it lit her face up.

Yujin gently pushes the bowl of soup. "This." She looks for her reaction. "It's my first time making it." Took her more than an hour.

The spoon stopped before it goes into . "First time?"

"Taste it."

"Did you taste it?"

Yujin gives a little frown, earning a soft chuckle from Minju who drank it. The latter didn't have to say a word and gestured for Yujin to eat.

Her not being able to speak meant the spoon wouldn't be leaving from this second onwards. That was how good it was.

Yujin smiles just seeing her enjoy. She proceeds to eat. "Do you have class today?"

The girl nods. "I can't skip it. I have a test."

"Art has tests?" Yujin might've laughed but stuffs with rice instead.

Minju chews her food slowly, nodding. "We have live figure drawing today. 2 pm."

"Can you do it?"

"What do you take me as?"

"I mean, your head."

The food was so good, Minju nearly forgot she was in the hospital yesterday. "I'm okay. It doesn't hurt."

"You're very sure?"

"Yes, I'm not a baby." Minju nudges her leg. "What are you going to do?"

"Me?" Minju hums. Yujin looks around with no plans. "Prepare myself to move back."

"You're going to go back?"

"No, move back here," Yujin said. "I'll just ask my dad to help me pack my stuff there. That means I'll be here the whole day." She looks around this small room.

"Go and walk around. You've never been here before."

Yujin shakes her head. "I want you to bring me. What if I get lost?"

"There's something called a Google Map."

"I'm not doing that."

"You're just going to stay here all day then? How about you go find Wonyoung? She's free today."

"Seriously?" Yujin gave her that Are you kidding me look. "She has a boyfriend."

"You two were okay with each other." Minju sees her constantly shaking her head. "He's a nice guy. He'll understand."

"Him understanding is what he wants you to believe. Deep inside, he probably gets jealous," the taller girl says. "Fine, fine. I'll go somewhere." She knew Minju wouldn't stop pestering her.

...

Minju places the key on the kitchen counter. "I'll put this here. Lock the door when you're out." She told Yujin who was on a phone call, nodding.

The brunette heads out the door, seeing Minjeong standing in the hallway. "Minju-ah~" The girl runs and crashes into Minju.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you two—"

"I'm okay." Minju holds onto her shoulder. "So let's go." 

"You're going to class like this? I heard you came back yesterday." Minjeong was worried. "I heard you should get a lot of rest after surgery especially if it involves the brain. What if you pass out halfway? Does it still hurt?"

"Because of someone, I feel better," Minju says. "I'm about to be late. Will you take the responsibility for asking me so many questions?" Minjeong shakes her head and walks a little faster.

"Where's Jimin?"

"I'm meeting her at the building. She had to meet the professor for something." Minjeong grabs Minju's arm, hugging it while she walks. "How does mala xiang guo sound? After your class."

"I can't eat spicy."

"Just huoguo?"

The brunette didn't think it was a bad idea. "I guess we could—"

"I'll meet you here." Minjeong ran when she sees her girlfriend in the hallway of the building, leaving Minju at her class.

"This brat. I thought I got away from Yuri but turns out there's more of her. Always rushing somewhere." Minju goes into class to hear a commotion.

Minju puts her tote bag down at her assigned seat, going to her classmates. "What happened?"

A girl sighs. "They might postpone today. The model backed out today and now we have no one to reference. Where else can we get a tall girl with features as detailed as hers? We're targeting long hair today. Nowadays bob hairstyles are trendy, where else can we get another model who will be patient enough to stay put for two hours? And she has to be pretty. I doubt any other models will say yes instantly." She was frustrated, looking at the tutor who was on a phone call.

The tutor ends the phone call. "Class, we might need to—"

Minju raises her hand. "I have someone."

The tutor's face lit up. "You do?"

"Tall girl, pretty face. Right?" She takes her phone out of her pocket. "And she has to stay for two hours?"

The tutor could never be happier. People might think she's drunk from happiness.

Yujin locks the door, pocketing the keys. She found something to do today—getting back her beloved bike she sold to a small store.

She skips through the hallway and feels her phone vibrating. She picks up when she sees the word Frog on her screen.

"Are you out already?"

Yujin stops walking. "Why?"

"I need you here. Our model can't make it."

I need you here. "How do you say it so easily—You want me to be a model?" She snickers as if it were something absurd. "I mean I did model back in Swis—"

"Wear something simple but nice. We need to see your legs so don't wear long jeans. I'll meet you at the entrance of the main building." The call ends as Yujin stares at her phone.

"This girl." Her legs did a U-turn back to the room. She quickly puts everything aside and digs through her luggage. "They need to see my legs...oddly specific." She takes out a pair of denim shorts and a shirt with green lettering.

Thinking they might want long sleeves, she paired it with a faint red flannel jacket. She goes to the mirror and fixes her hair. "Does she want me to let down my hair—ah whatever." She ruffles her hair and neatens her bangs.

Minju stands at the door of the building, looking out for Yujin. There she saw the girl looking up from her phone under the hot sun, probably Google Maps.

Yujin smiles when she saw the girl. "Why is this place so big?"

"Less talking, more walking." Minju drags her through the building. "You can sit still for two hours, right?"

"You're asking that now that I'm already here? What if I say I can't?" Yujin chuckles at her impatience and gets pulled into an art room.

Eyes were instantly drawn to her. Thirty pairs of eyes all pinned on her.

"You did say figure drawing." Yu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter