Forty

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the person's right, time will seem to pass faster. Minju wakes up to see Yujin on her laptop. She was busy with something Minju has no idea about. 

She just lies there, observing the girl.  Not until a little bruise on her elbow caught her eyes. "I think we should move out." Her voice startled the taller girl who looked over her shoulder. 

"Was I typing too loud?" 

Minju smiles and shakes her head. "What are you doing?" She slowly stands up, going to her while putting on her glasses. 

She squints at the laptop. "Admission? What for?" 

"Here," Yujin said and filled in the last blank of the form. 

Minju straightens her back. "Here?" 

"It was a good thing I finished the CSATs." She presses save and turns to Minju. "You don't have class today, right?" She smiles sweetly.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" 

Yujin reaches over and brings her to sit on her lap. "I'll study here. Before you say anything, it is a good art school. They have a full directing course here." 

"Directing?" 

"Film," Yujin said. "I like taking pictures and writing. I think it's perfect." 

Minju drags her hand onto the latter's shoulder, squeezing it. "You're enrolling here?" 

"You don't like it?" 

"I love the idea but I'll be graduating in two years. You'll still have four years if you enrol here." 

"It'll still be four years no matter where I enrol." Yujin runs her hand across the girl's lower back, hugging her. 

Minju came to a realisation. "Sometimes I question why you had to go to Switzerland. If you didn't, we could graduate together. We didn't even graduate high school together. I hate you." 

Yujin laughs at her complaints, kissing the side of her head. "Go do your 10-step routine. We're going out." She made Minju stand. 

"Where?" 

Knock knock 

They both looked at the door, wondering who comes here this early. Yujin went to get it, opening to see Wonyoung. 

"Why are you here?" Wonyoung questions, looking in to see Minju standing in the middle of the room. "You told me you found a place to stay." 

"Yes, here." Yujin leans against the door, smiling. "It's free." She cooks as a form of rental for Minju.

Wonyoung didn't want to ask more. "Let's go for breakfast. Yena called saying she wants to celebrate." 

"Celebrate what? Who celebrates using breakfast?" 

"She said there's a lot of things so just listen to her. She won't stop calling me." Wonyoung slaps the door. "So, hurry up. We're waiting downstairs. She walks off. 

Yujin closes the door. She has planned something today. "It's okay. We can do it after." She looks at Minju who was upset with the corners of her lips winded down. "Why?" 

"We're eating breakfast outside?" Her voice deflates. She scrunched her shoulder, letting go with a sigh. 

Yujin watched her drag those feet into the bathroom. "What's wrong with her?" 

...

They found themselves silently sitting at a long rectangular table. 

Yujin turns to Yena, glare reaching the girl. "Why did you call him?" She grits her teeth, seeing Minhyun sitting at the very corner of the table. He was opposite Minju. 

Chaemin looks at the dull atmosphere in a happy place. "Why are we at Mcdonalds'?"

"Ah, ya. He's our friend too. And this involves us." Yena tries to brighten up the mood. "If you want to kill him, we can do it together but not now." 

Minhyun gulps, shifting in his chair. 

"We're here to celebrate. Mcdonald's is the only place that serves breakfast this early and it's the cheapest option. And I don't want us to discuss because we all at making decisions so it's better if I drag all of you here." 

"Celebrate what, exactly?" Wonyoung has been wanting to ask that question. 

Yena looks at all of them. She points at Wonyoung. "You are leaving for the States again." She shifts her finger to Minju. "You fully recovered." She points to Yujin. "You're finally back for I don't know what reason but it's okay." 

She points at both Yujin and Minju. "You two are together now." 

She points at Chaemin. "And you. It's time for you to join us now that you're her boyfriend. While she's there, you'll deal with us. There's a lot to celebrate." She makes her point. 

Yuri lets out a small sigh and smiles. "We get it. Let's eat." 

Yujin looks at Wonyoung. "You're going back?" 

"I'm only here for two months." She didn't manage to tell her. 

Yujin just nods and turns to Minju who was slowly cutting up her pancake. The girl preferred her food over anything else, especially this. Her glare still went to Minhyun who will never get to eat in peace. 

He couldn't take it and asked Minju, "You're really dating her?" 

"Do you want to die?" Yujin says while switching her plate of nicely cut pancakes with Minju. 

"What's the reason? She's violent." 

The taller girl whacks the spoon on top of his head. 

"Do it harder," Wonyoung told her. 

Minju grabs Yujin's arm, putting it down before she actually kills the guy. "Ignore him." 

On the other end of the table, Yena asks Chaemin, "Why do you like Wonyoung?" 

"She's pretty." 

"Just pretty?" 

"Extremely pretty." 

Wonyoung stops Yena from asking before Chaemin gives her a list. 

"Good choice," Yena said. "Give me an invitation to your wedding." She winks at the guy who winks back. 

"What are you doing?" Yuri gave her a weird look. 

Yean faces her. "I just like how things are all in order. Didn't I tell you before that I'm the best at predicting pairs? Just like that mountain hike we went back in high school. I knew where their hearts lie. The only difference is that head who made Minju go to the hospital. Never forgiving him." She looks at Minhyun. "We'll be the only reason he gets to die." 

Yuri shoves a piece of sausage into . "You talk too much. You need to eat more." 

...

Waiting for the train, Minju looks at the hand holding hers. "Where are we going?" 

Yujin turns to her. "We're going to do the things you like." 

"Suddenly?" 

"I've thought about it. You've done the things I like but I haven't done the things you like." 

"You mean ice skating?" 

Yujin nods. "So, today, we'll do whatever you like," she says. "We'll start from the biggest bookstore I found online." 

"Bookstore?" Minju's eyes lit up instantly. "Now I'm excited." 

Yujin's nose did a little scrunch and brings her into the train. They stood at the doors, gazing out at the scenery. 

Yujin found her bike a few days ago. But Minju didn't want her to ride it anymore. It's dangerous and she doesn't want anything happening to the girl.

Although it's a little sad, Yujin had the same mindset. Taking the train was much more comfortable in terms of the environment and being able to talk without the wind smacking their faces. 

They did have one last ride when Minju recovered from her surgery. Romantic, as Minju said. 

The blaring heat greets them once they step out of the station. Walking to the said bookstore only took minutes. 

But what puzzled them was a small hut with the sign Biggest Bookstore nailed to the top. Totally unlike the huge bookstore Minju imagined. "You sure this is the right place?" 

Yujin was checking her phone and nodded. "This can't be. It's supposed to be a mall." She looks around and sees the mall a street away. "Ah, it's there." She chuckles, pulling Minju along by the hand.

"I really such at reading maps." Yujin pockets her phone. "I saw a picture of a bookstore and immediately thought of you. I remember you had that small tower of books arranged in your room. Is it still there?" 

Minju nods. "I didn't touch a thing back at home. How do you know? You've only been to my house once." 

"Once is enough for a person to take note of everything." 

They entered the building and went straight to the bookstore. 

KYODO bookstore. 

Yujin noticed the excitement glow in Minju's eyes as they stood at the entrance. The place was at least five times bigger than an average bookstore. 

"I didn't know there was such a place." Minju was stunned, being in university for the past two years but had never been here before. 

"Put a reader in a bookstore and walk out with an empty bank account," Yujin says. "What are you doing? Let's go!" She pushes Minju in to stop her from hesitating. 

There were people of all ages here. Old or young, they were united with words printed in books. 

Children sitting in the aisle while reading their comic books, adults spending some time away from work and grandparents f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter