Twenty-One

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjun, Minju's brother, was having dinner when he saw her little sister dressed up nicely and walking down the stairs. Plain black shirt tucked into some high-rise, straight-cut jeans.

"Where are you going?" A voice filled with tease as always.

"You don't need to know." Minju went to the foyer and grabbed some shoes.

Minjun sips on his soup. "I heard you came home drunk the other day. Since when do you drink?" He chuckles as a way of mocking.

Minju has been wondering how she got home that day. She turns to her brother. "Do you know who brought me home?"

He shrugs. "I just saw a girl. A pretty one."

Minju gave him a weird look. "Tall?"

"Taller than you. Why? You don't remember?"

"I think I out." She tried to recall but nothing came to her mind.

"A family thing. We all blackout." Her working older sister, Minjung, came down to have some dinner. "You're not eating?"

"We're eating later," Minju said and finished putting on her shoes.

"Don't drink too much. I know you're old enough but don't make it a habit." She advises, sitting next to Minjun.

"That was only one time." Minju opens the front door. "I'm leaving."

The two older siblings acknowledged, going back to eat. "Our Minju's growing up." Minjung scoops some rice into her bowl.

"As if."

"You, you. Stop teasing her, will you?"

"She's born to be teased by me. That's my job." Minjun earns a smack to his head. "Ya." He warns, holding onto the area she hit.

Meanwhile, Minju was stopped by the puppy who couldn't let her leave the house. "I'll come back later." She pats JJ's head.

"Minju."

She looked up to see Minhyun at the gate waving at her. They planned to meet at the station where the ice rink is.

"What are you doing here?" She goes to the gate and steps out of the yard. He smiles, clasping his hands behind him. "I wanted to walk with you."

"You'd be walking twice the distance."

"It's okay." He was all smiles today, although he does feel bad for postponing their plans. "Shall we go?"

Minju nods, adjusting her little sling bag. When they were about to leave, they heard the engines of a bike. It was too familiar for them to overlook.

Yujin parks her bike at the side, taking her helmet off. Along with that leather jacket she wore, she was the definition of oozing charisma. She's probably here for Wonyoung.

"I don't think they'll be taking the train," Minhyun told the brunette who just stared at Yujin.

She didn't realise she was doing so until the taller girl looked this way. "You're still here." Yujin didn't know Minhyun was coming here.

"We'll go first." He gently grasped Minju's wrist. "Let's go."

Yujin watched them walk in the direction of the train station, thinking he wants some alone time with Minju. She glanced into Wonyoung's place. A little bark caught her attention, putting a smile on her face.

She walks towards Minju's house gate, bending down to pet JJ through the grills. "How are you? Is she treating you well?"

The puppy her fingers, rubbing its cheek against her palm. "You missed me?" She uses her baby voice as a girl appears behind her.

She didn't realise Wonyoung was there until she hears, "She likes you too."

Yujin almost jumped. "Oh, you're here." She obviously knows where this dog came from. "Let's go. Minju left earlier, with Minhyun." She walks to her bike as Wonyoung follows her.

She didn't want questions about the dog.

"We're not taking the train?"

Yujin hands her a helmet. "This is faster."

...

They agreed to have dinner before skating, going to a restaurant in the mall. Sitting at a table for four, Yujin and Minju could tell they'd come a long way.

Their little deal worked out after all. Yujin had Wonyoung beside her and Minju had Minhyun. It was awkward with just the four of them. Yena and Yuri weren't here to joke around.

Sitting opposite Minju, Wonyoung asked, "How's your headache?"

"Hm?"

"The other day you got drunk." Minju's cheeks flared pink, wondering if she did anything wrong for her to bring that day up.

She scoops a spoonful of rice. "Bad," she said, making the girl chuckle. "I ended up on the floor the next morning. Not sure how."

"So this is why you have this." Minhyun pokes her elbow where a small bruise lies. Minju didn't even realise she had it.

"Must be."

He rubs it gently, creating blood flow. Yujin notices, wondering why that action mattered to her. She ignores it. "Your head's fine? You shouldn't hit it too much or you'll become dumber."

"I'm not dumb."

Wonyoung jabs the side of Yujin's body. "You're not any better."

"Ya." The latter was in disbelief. Wonyoung's the last person she expected to get back at her.

Minju scoffs in defence. "Now you get the taste of your own medicine. Always teasing me as if you were born for it." She acted as if she wanted to hit the taller girl.

Looking at Wonyoung, she says, "You should think twice."

"Maybe I should think twice." Wonyoung plays along, glancing at the girl who had sullenness drawn all over her face.

"Karma." Minhyun comments, eating his food. That earned him a kick to the shin.

Yujin wraps some meat with lettuce, shoving it into Minju's mouth to prevent her from saying things that might affect Wonyoung's potential decision. "You talk too much."

The brunette stares at her blankly, thinking of ways to strangle her to death. Hands sound great.

"Chew slowly." It's supposed to sound sweet, but coming from Yujin, it was total sarcasm.

Wonyoung pushes a cup of water to Minju, making sure she doesn't choke. "Chew slowly." The brunette couldn't be more grateful for Wonyoung who seemed like the only person who cares for her at the table.

Yujin looks opposite her to see the guy laughing. "Why are you laughing?" She smacks a fresh piece of lettuce leaf on his head.

"Ah, ya!" He wipes his head.

"Stop laughing."

...

It got late when they appeared at the ice skating rink. The whole place was pitch black with no one around.

Wonyoung peeks through the glass door. It was completely soulless. "Did we come on a wrong day?" Minju stood beside her, looking in. "There's no one."

Minhyun tiptoed, trying to get a better view.

Yujin pulls out a key from her pocket, unlocking the bottom of the door. Wonyoung notices. "What are you doing?"

The latter pushes the door open. "Let's go in."

"Whoa, whoa. Are we trespassing?" Minhyun stops her.

"We're not." Yujin brushes his hand away. "We can use this place."

"Hm?"

"Trust me." Yujin gestures for them to enter. When they did, she lit up the whole place with a push of a switch as if she owns the rink.

"We have the whole rink to ourselves." She walks towards the skate rental counter.

"How?" Minju was confused, following wherever Wonyoung was going.

"Because I asked the owner." Yujin went behind the shelves, pulling out some skates. Minhyun rests against the counter. "Who's the owner?"

Yujin places two skates on the counter. "Me."

"Huh?" The three of them were confused.

"My grandfather." She corrects, going to Wonyoung to ask for her size. She knew the other two, but not her. "He left this place to my cousin before he passed on and she said I could use it."

"So this is why I didn't see you pay the other time." Minju mumbles. "I almost thought it was just you being you. Not afraid of getting caught." She hesitated to take the skates, not liking her memories in this place.

Whenever she came, there was blood. Not a pleasant experience.

Minhyun helped carry it for her, going to the benches. "I'll put it on for you. It's complicated," he said. Minju just sat there, appreciating his help. She still struggles with sophisticated laces.

Meanwhile, Yujin was done with her skates. She wanted to help Wonyoung, but the girl was fine by herself. Former figure skater.

Wonyoung saw the way she looked at the other two. "Do you want to help me?"

"Hm?" Yujin turns to see her holding onto the end of her laces.

"I've never worn skates for ages." She still knows how to put them on but thought Yujin might want to do it instead.

It was a small thing. However, that smile on the latter's face said everything. She has always wanted to help Wonyoung but never got the chance to.

She was either too smart or had done a particular thing before. There was nothing Wonyoung couldn't do.

Minju stood up with the help of Minhyun. "Are you okay?" He worries about her shaky stance.

"I'm still bad at it." She grips his hands tightly. "This was also the reason why I lost my gla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter