Forty-Three

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju puffs a sigh, rising from the couch of Yujin's new apartment. She watches the girl unpack her box of belongings. "You're going to stay here? Not the dorm?"

Yujin looks at her in the midst of arranging her cameras on display. She'll start going to K-Arts this week. "I'll have to spend the week unpacking. If I don't stay here, who will? I can't leave this place empty." She needed space for all her things, being the only family member in Korea. And there are still things being shipped to this place.

Minju puckers her lips, folding her legs, eyes following wherever the girl went. Yujin dusts her hands, reaching for the last photo album. She folds the box neatly and places them aside.

She saw the sadness in Minju's eyes. Yujin staying here would only mean she doesn't get to see her every day. They both have their own classes to go to.

Yujin goes to her room and comes back out with a folded piece of paper in her hand. She passes it to Minju. "What's this?" The brunette lazily takes it, still sulking.

"Read it." Yujin went to unbox other things.

Minju unfolds the paper and the first thing she sees is MOVE IN TERMS AND CONDITIONS. She snaps her head at Yujin. "Really?" Excitement stirs within her.

"Finish reading it." Yujin carries a box into her room.

Minju went down the list.

1. Wash your own dishes.
2. Do your own laundry.
3. Take turns recycling.
4. Close the balcony door when you leave.
5. Make your bed in the morning.
6. Eat my breakfast.
7. Cuddle with me.
8. Disturb me.
9. Keep on bothering me.
10. Just move in with me.

"Crazy person," Minju says. "6 and 7 sounds good." She could tell Yujin gave up writing something that might intimidate her.

Yujin stops at the doorframe. "Failure to follow any one of them, you owe me...a million kisses."

"A million?" Minju eyes widen. "Why is it so expensive? If I don't follow the last one..."

"Then you owe me a million kisses." Yujin grins, going to her.

"I don't think a person can kiss a million times." The brunette snickers as Yujin slowly crashes into her, pushing her onto the couch.

"You make me want you to break one rule so I'd get that million kisses." The taller girl kisses her cheek and sees Minju raising the paper, reading it again. "So? Do you want to move in with me? We have a lot of work to do."

Minju looks at her and dreads the process of moving again. But if it's Yujin. "Let me ask my mom. I think she'll be a little mad about me moving so often. But it should be fine."

"Your brother doesn't really like me," Yujin recalls meeting the family. All she got were soft glares and peeks from Minjun.

Minju sat them up. "He's a bit of a narcissist. He doesn't like people better than him. Maybe he felt that from you." She shrugs. "Or maybe he likes you."

"Huh?"

"Boys are simple. See a pretty girl, they either bother them a lot and fall for them or fall for them at first sight and bother them later on."

"Isn't that you?" Yujin earned a What did you say look.

Minju pushes her shoulder. "It's you. You're the one bothering me."

"And you liked it." Yujin proudly says, poking her cheek.

"Whatever it is, he can't like you. This is not a secret but he once asked me for Wonyoung's number."

"You didn't tell me that."

"I am now. He's weird. Guys are weird."

"Now you know. Aren't you glad you fell for me instead?" Yujin nudges her shoulder.

Minju looks at her. "You're weird too. Who eats pizza and leaves the crust? You."

"That's a preference."

"Who cries during a horror movie? You."

"The boy's mom died," Yujin whines as if it proves her point.

"Who wakes up at six in the morning? You."

"I'm used to it."

"Only old people wake up that early. Whatever it is, you're weird too." Minju ends the mini-argument. "But it's okay. I love weird. Just not my brother. He can get hit by a bus."

"I know. I know you love me." Yujin pushes her onto the couch again and hugs her. "I'll just take it as you're moving in. Cuddling is a rule."

"You said we have a lot to do."

Yujin buries herself into the crook of her neck. "We always have time for this," she says. "That's the rule."

Yujin points to the left and right sides of the bed. "This or that side?"

Minju hums, pointing to the right. "The window's here. I'm a deep sleeper so it doesn't affect me. You should sleep more so you take the left side."

"Okay." Yujin settles the blanket on the bed as the brunette goes to the closet where Yujin's clothes were.

"This is all going to be mine." She dramatises, smiling happily.

"What are you talking about? They're my clothes." Yujin closes the closet. "Can you even fit?"

Minju narrows her eyes. "You're underestimating me. I'm not that short."

"Okay, 163.8888."

"Ya. Come here." Minju chases her out of the room, threatening a slap to her back.

Yujin squeals, eventually getting caught by the brunette who jumped on her back. Minju constantly hits her shoulder, hearing the girl laugh hysterically.

"It's 164!" She playfully strangles Yujin who moves her in front, carrying her.

"Okay, okay."

Minju calms down, still glaring. Yujin grins. "Point eight, eight, eight."

The brunette covers . "You really want me to kill you." She sees Yujin's eye smile which instantly turns off her hostility.

She tuts once as Yujin puts her down. "Hurry up. I need to meet Chaemin later." She goes back into the room.

"Why?" Yujin follows her to see her shifting books to the shelves.

"He's going to pass me his assignment. Facial expressions. He took it last semester and I need it." She individually slots the books in as Yujin helps her.

"When did you two become close?"

"He's a senior. But he sees me as his mentor. Everything just happened." Minju arranges the books nicely. "Come to think of it, he's like you. Always asking me how to entertain Wonyoung."

"Why is he asking that when he should figure it out on his own?" The taller girl tilts her head, not being able to understand.

"Wonyoung's his first girlfriend. He seems serious. He was from the moment I met him. They're doing long distance now."

"And he asks you? What do you even tell him?" Yujin snickers, taking the rope that was used to tie the books together.

"I don't," Minju said. "What I like, Wonyoung might find it annoying. I just told him to ask Google. Or ChatGPT. AI got his back." She flicks her wrist.

Minju slots in the last book and decides to call it a day by lying back on the bed. Yujin lies on her stomach next to her. "What do you like?"

Minju turns and grasps her shirt to pull her closer. "You," she snuggles and puts a leg over her as if she were telling people to back off.

"That's all?"

"Can it be all?" Minju peeks at her and feels Yujin's fingers in her hair.

Did she really just call me annoying? Yujin caught on but didn't really care. "Then, what do you like about me? I realised I've never asked that before." She pulls back to look at Minju.

"What do I like about you?" Yujin nods. "That you're weird."

"Ya."

"Even though you leave the crusts of the pizza out, I'll eat it. I love the crust. When you cry, I'll give you tissues or laugh at you. I like that you wake up early so I'll have breakfast every morning. I like that you always hold onto my hand. I like that you send me weird quizzes or pictures whenever you think of me. I like that you get overprotective over the smallest things even though you know I'm the youngest in the family. They say the youngest gets everything. I think so too. Because I have you. That's everything. Even if you change, I'll still love you. I've seen everything, just don't run away again. I like that you're you, but don't do that again. I'll die."

"I've never felt this assured with someone telling me they'll die if I'm not around. Is it supposed to feel that way? Relieved?" She laughs.

"You're coming with me. If I die."

Yujin buries her within her body. "She's really giving me a death threat." She looks around for help.

...

Minju met up with Chaemin at a noodle restaurant just outside of school. Although he just needed to pass her some documents, having dinner didn't seem like a bad idea.

Of course, Yujin tags along.

"Did you have to bring your girlfriend? You don't have to make me feel alone." Chaemin complains and eats his noodles.

Minju shrugs. She can't leave Yujin behind even if she was told to. Either she comes, or they both don't.

"It's so funny," he says, looking at the both of them. "I'm eating with the ex and the first love." Chaemin laughs, finding it slightly ridiculous.

"It's not that bad," Minju says and looks at Yujin who wasn't bothered by it. "You said you wanted tips. You can ask her."

"Don't ask me. I don't remember anything." Yujin denies any question about Wonyoung even if Minju persists. She respects her current relationship to not talk about her past.

Even if they're all friends.

When Minju goes to the bathroom, Yujin noticed that the guy was drinking a little too much soju.

"Are you that lonely? Just call her." She told him, pouring soju into his mini cup. Yujin had a thought that he called Minju out to drink since he knows her better than the rest of them.

"You're crazy. I can't just call her anytime I want. It's night here, but she has classes now."

"Then just leave a message."

"What if I'm disturbing her?"

"You better leave her a message saying you're with us. Tell her before she finds out."

"She trusts me."

"Just do it." Yujin takes his phone, making him unlock it. "Girls are like that. They need to know what you're doing even if they say they don't want to. Now smile." She points the camera at him.

Chaemin gave a peace sign as Yujin flips the camera around. "He misses you." She ends the video, sends it to Wonyoung and slides the phone back to him.

"You're a girl."

"And I'm telling you." Yujin looks in the direction of the bathroom but doesn't see Minju. What's taking her so long?

Chaemin pours her a drink. "Drink with me. It's not fun drinking alone." Yujin takes a shot. He pours her another one.

"No."

"One more." Chaemin pleads

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter