Chapter 6

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong hurriedly got them towels and gave one to Dara as soon as she got up from the pool. They both covered themselves with towels and sat back down beside the pool. Trying to disregard what happened lately, Jiyong drank from his glass once more then said, “Tell me. Who is it?”
Dara looked at him and asked, “What do you mean?”

“The one you saw lately…”

“It doesn’t matter now.”

He sighed then spoke while wrapping his head with the towel and drying it by rubbing it fast, “I’m not one to reserve this whole place for nothing. Come on, spill some beans.”

She shyly embraced herself with the towel and said, “It’s awkward speaking to you like this.”

Jiyong laughed and said, “What are you talking about? This is the most normal conversation I’ve ever had with you.” He put the towel on top of his head then said, “You… You’re awkward.”

“I’m just not used to sharing personal things with others.”

“I’m a dating expert, you know. Maybe I can help?”

“But didn’t you say lately that your lovelife is a failure?”

He laughed at her straightforwardness. She said, unyielding, “Shouldn’t we fix our troubles first before we take a sip of someone else’s?”

“Just tell me! Do I know that person?” He was persistent to know.

“I don’t think you personally know him. I don’t think you ever talked so let’s just get over it.”

“Ahhh… I think I have an idea.”

“What? Who?”

“I’m not gonna tell you who I had in mind.”

“Okay then.”

“Is he the reason why you’re so sad?”

“A man cannot be a whole reason for why I’m sad. He’s just a factor, I guess.”

“Hmmm…” He nodded and emptied his glass. He went for another round. “I’m just here if you need some tips. I’m listening.”

There was a long gap of silence again as Jiyong patiently waited for her to open up. Dara was hesitant at first because she felt uncomfortable sharing things to Jiyong even though they were close friends. But then she thought he could help and he looked like he wanted to help so she finally decided to be vulnerable in front of him. Jiyong was one of the friends whom she considered as a family so she trusted him.

She said, “I get envious of the people I know. They are happily married now and some are having kids. I am just tired of waiting for my turn. When is it my turn? When is it my turn to be happy in life?” She chuckled like she found it funny that she felt that way. “I feel left out.” ,she continued.

He wasn’t expecting what he heard. In fact, he didn’t like it when she thought like that. He confronted her again, saying, “Stop being like that.”

“I know. I just can’t help feeling like this sometimes.”

“There are times that we can’t see the good things happening to us. That’s because you, yourself, are the good thing that happened to people.”

She took a sip and emptied her glass as well then said, “Is that so?”

“You like hearing that, do you?” ,he teased.

Dara laughed. They can read each other’s minds even through vague words.

Jiyong said, “No, but really… Why do you think so low of yourself? You’re one of my closest in my circle of friends and I never said this but like... you are one of the good things that happened in my life.”

She smiled and looked at him. “Really? Did you mean it?”

“Yes but I won’t say it again.” He didn’t like to make it seem to mushy so he had to stop at some point. He was not the warm type of guy to begin with anyway.

She chuckled and looked away again. Flattered by what he said, she spoke “I’m glad I meant that way to some people.”


Jiyong drank again and stayed silent for a bit, enjoying the silence with her.

The moment was rare. Usually, they were surrounded by friends so they couldn’t talk like this on a deeper level. Even without saying anything, they knew this night was special. 
It was both healing and comforting. They were both looking at the night sky when Jiyong spoke, “I’m saying this because you know me since I was young and we’re quite getting comfortable here as the night gets deeper but it’s been so long since we broke up. There are times that I get sad too but never to a point that I doubt myself like you do.” He paused. “I check her out from time to time. She looked happier now. That’s when it gets to me. Some things are just not meant to be.”

Having a clear image of who he's talking about, Dara quietly listened to him as he started to open up. 
He continued, “I don’t think I wasted my youth with her. It was worth it. We were once happy. But you recognize the time eventually… when it’s time to move on, you’ll feel that. Eventually it will hit you. It’s over and that’s that.”

She said, “That’s right. Aigoo~ Why are we so unlucky in love?”

“Noona, don’t give up on love. You’ll meet the one for you. Trust me.”

“I hope so too! I hope when he arrives, he won’t leave anymore and we’ll live happily ever after.”

He laughed at the term she used, “happily ever after”. 

She said in defense, “It might be my last stop, so...”

“You’ll never know. For now, enjoy the thrill.”

“It’s important for us that when we found someone, we shouldn’t let go of them already. Grab them by the hand and hold them tight. You’ll see yours too. I believe that.”

He giggled at what they’re doing. Giving and receiving advice were still quite new to them but this time might be a start for something more meaningful. He bit his lower lip and looked at her while she’s still looking at the sky. He said, “Noona, just tell me who he is.”

Dara laughed, thinking that everything they talked about led back to him asking who the man is, like he did it all just for her to spill an info.
He laughed with her. No one gets his humor like she does. He joked around, “I already shared and you still haven’t mentioned a name.”

She looked at him and replied in the middle of each laugh, “What are you going to do once you know his name uh?”

“I’ll rate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter