Chapter 37

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Right after Dara reached their floor, she went inside her room to get the blanket to return it to him. Deep inside, she was wishing he was fine, that he just chose to slack off today and not do anything. She found herself beginning to develop concern for him after what happened last night. Although she was unaware of her actions, she was panicking when she rang his doorbell.

She didn’t want to call him through her phone because she doesn’t want to be bothered by other people’s messages even though it might have been the easiest way to contact him.
After a few rings, he still wasn’t responding.

She thought, “Is he mad at me?”

He rang it one more time and there, she finally got a response. He opened the door and said, “Oh. What brings you here?”

He was wearing layers of clothes and he didn’t look well but he acted normally in front of her.
She heeded the contrast in his appearance and his actions and she couldn’t be mistaken by her observation. She asked him to verify what she had in mind, “Are you feeling well?”

He cleared his throat like it was sore and said, “Me? Yes. I am.”

“Why didn’t you knock on my door last night to take a bath there instead?”

He chuckled and said, “I guess halmoni already spilled the tea.”

“Why then?”

“I… didn’t want to bother you. I thought you needed your personal space so I…”

“You took a cold bath?”

“Ye.”

“That’s insane!”

Gray looked uncomfortable so he changed the topic by saying, “Are you supposed to return that to me?” while pointing at the blanket in her hand.

She said, “Ah, oh, yeah. I washed it.” then gave him the blanket back.

He held it and opened his door wider. He said, “Do you want to come in?”

She sighed in disappointment and said, “Aigoo. This isn’t going as planned. I was actually planning to surprise you with lunch as a sign of gratitude for what you did last night.”

He slightly laughed and replied, “Really? But I don’t see lunch meals with you now.”

“That’s because I checked on you first when I was told that you haven’t been out or ordered any food since early in the morning.”

He just stared at her when he realized that she must be worried about him. He didn’t want to point it out for her but at least he knew. 
Dara wanted to avoid Gray’s stare, thus she entered his room and said, “Have you eaten your breakfast?”

Gray smiled when he saw that she dodged his stare and finally turned around to close his door. He answered her question while he was walking around his room, “I haven’t eaten anything yet.”

“Why?”

“How about you?”

She fixed her hair and said, “I just woke up.”

“You could order lunch for us and I’ll just pretend I didn’t know.”

She laughed and said, “What? That’s silly.”

He just laughed then lied on his bed. He covered himself with the blanket he lent her last night and turned his back on her to face the wall. 
Dara almost felt insulted when he lied on his bed and even faced his back on her as if he was going to sleep and act like she wasn’t even there.

But not until he said, “You can order now. I’ll act as if I didn’t see and I’m surprised.”

She cracked up again upon finding his actions childish yet funny. She replied, “Fine. I’ll order now. Don’t peek!”

He just chuckled and stayed silent for a while. Dara was secretly troubled because she didn’t know how she would order without turning her phone on. She was pinned down by the situation so she was obliged to turn it on to order lunch for Gray, who was looking forward to it.

There were missed calls from Jiyong and some messages from Jea and Uijeong who knew that she was in Jeju and was probably stranded. She ignored them for the meantime and focused on ordering food for her and Gray.

While she was ordering food, Gray spoke in a weak voice, “The blanket smelled nice. I like it.”

She looked at Gray and blushed when she knew that he appreciated it. She replied, “Thanks.” then continued finding a restaurant and ordering food through her phone.
She spent a longer time than expected upon finding a good meal for both of them but she was able to successfully place her order after 15 minutes of silently worrying whether he would like it or not. 
Consciously, it did make her wonder why she was worrying too much all of a sudden but she instantly swept that feeling under the rug and carried on.
Accordingly, after she paid for it then she gleefully said, “I did it. You can look now.”

She was not getting a response from Gray so she walked near him and found that he was sleeping. She thought he was just joking hence she jiggled him to tell him to stop pretending to be asleep but was startled to feel how hot his body was.

She said, “Omo! You’re burning hot!” as she realized that he had a fever and wasn’t really okay as she suspected him to be. He fell asleep within 15 minutes and that explained how tired his body was. Looking at the back of his head while he was lying, she couldn’t help but be reminded that it was the same man who ran in the rain to look for her. It was the same man who comforted her. It was the same man who sacrificed his well-being for her.

He was drenched himself when she saw him last night. It was surely a factor for why he got sick, in addition to that, the cold shower he condoned. He also mentioned that he was exhausted these days, that's why he went to Jeju for a vacation but being with her probably wore him out instead, she thought. 
She blamed herself for why he was sick and dead tired. To make up for it, she didn’t wake him up and just let him rest.

Her guilt was taking too much space in her head that she wasn’t able to just stay still and wait for the food. She took her phone and ordered medicine from an online pharmacy as well.
Now she wouldn’t calm down so he opened the window a little bit to allow at least a bit of fresh air to come in and just covered him with another warm blanket as a compromise.
She did all that without making a noise to ensure that he rests completely well without any disturbances.

When she was done with all of it, she sat on his bed and watched him as he slept. She harkened to her maternal instincts, hence, the acts of nursing him made sense to her. 
He wore a calm demeanor until their last interaction before he rested just so she wouldn't worry. Despite the fact that he was not feeling well, he still entertained her at his best which is why she was now inside his room. Though he failed to finish his act because he fell asleep, she appreciated him for being good to her and for being a good man in general. 
 
While keeping her gaze, she whispered the same words to him again, "I see you." 
 
Until a sudden call intervened with the moment… 
 
She hastily put her phone into silent mode to avoid waking Gray up. As a matter of course, she intentionally ignored Jiyong's calls up to the time of her orders' arrival. 
 
She took it in from Gray's door and eventually woke him up to eat. Gray stretched his body and noticed that he already had another blanket over him. It appeared that she already knew about his fever. He may have not shown it but he was touched by it.
He looked at her next then saw the food on the table. 
 
He said, "Whoa! You bought lunch?!" and acted surprised. 
 
Dara cackled at his reaction for he really did what he promised earlier. 
 
He sat up and continued speaking, "You bought a lot." 
 
"I thought you should eat more because you're sick. I also bought medicines for you." ,she said followed by a cute giggle. 
 
"Wow. Thanks! I'll eat them well." He said while he pulled a chair for her to sit on before they started eating their lunch together. 
 
At the same time as they were having their lunch, back in Seoul was a frustrated man. 
Jiyong exclaimed while staring at his phone and seated on the sofa in his living room, "She couldn't be contacted and now that she could be, she wouldn't answer my calls! Yaish!" 
 
He kicked his feet in the air and stood up. Still holding his phone, he opened BigBang's group chat and keyed in, "Let's meet and drink together!"  
 
The members were always on their phones so they replied right away and their conversation went on.
 
Taeyang: What's the occasion?
 
G-Dragon: Just catching up.
 
Daesung: Your place?
 
TOP: Whiskey or wine?
 
G-Dragon: My place. Wine and whiskey. 
 
TOP: Just us?
 
G-Dragon: Yes.
 
TOP: I'm in.
 
Daesung: But why did you suddenly want to catch up? We talk here everyday. ㅋㅋㅋ 
 
G-Dragon: Ya, Kang Daesung. Just say it if you don't want to come. 
 
Taeyang: Someone's grumpy, Daesung-a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter