Chapter 3

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Donghae sat down on his sofa as he remembered bits of what happened last night. He wasn't sure about the rest after drinking one whole bottle of beer. His memory was blurry from then on. All he could remember was that he already told Eunhyuk about what he truly feels, given also that Eunhyuk reacted that way about it earlier when he called him and told him that he saw her. 
He scoffed and said "Life is funny. Just when I'm having a hard time forgetting her, she showed up."

The sun shone brightly inside his house since he left his curtains open. He realized that it was close to the middle of the day already so it's going to be hot any time soon. He stood up and closed the curtains.
Right after the dark set in, he said, "What am I supposed to do now?"


The air condition hummed along with the beat of his heart. He realized that he should not feel that way because he's a committed man and he's not the type to break someone else's heart.
Through that, he thought giving it time would probably make the feelings go away. Only if he diverted his attention to something else, maybe he could forget. He remembered he was supposed to meet with Irene in the afternoon so he prepared for it, trying hard to ignite the spark that was dimming inside him.

In the intervening period, Dara was done eating her noodles inside her car and drove to Hyoni's location. It was around Myeongdong. Hyoni welcomed her with the warmest hug while saying, "Ah~ Why are you so sad?"

Dara replied with her brightest smile that hid her emotions very well, "Maybe I just needed someone to have fun with."

"Or maybe a good lunch?"

"Yes!"

They both laughed. Hyoni patted Dara's back and said, "Don't worry. I'll feed you well~"

Dara was just glad to have someone with her. Hyoni was like a ball of sunshine when Dara's skies were grey. She knew how to cheer her up. As they ate a meal inside a VIP room of an expensive restaurant, they talked about their mutual friends and how they are these days. A subtle way to check up on them. Kiyong, who was one of their closest friends, wasn't able to join them for their lunch because he had another schedule far away from their location so they just facetimed him and they ate together. The phone was leaning on a glass of tap water from their table, showing Kiyong eating virtually on the other hand. Kiyong was a lot younger than them but since they already got to hang out a lot, they get a long pretty well.

While they were talking about funny stuff they saw from the internet, Hyoni received a phonecall. She excused herself and went further away, leaving Dara and Kiyong talking to each other.

Kiyong said, "Noona, what's going on with you nowadays?"

Dara awkwardly smiled and replied, "Nothing much. The usual work... How about you?"

Kiyong laughed and said, "I was just going to say the same thing like what you said! I'm asking you. Your eyes seemed sad."

Dara was surprised that Kiyong noticed even if he's not personally with them. She reacted, "Oh? Is that so?"

"I was looking at you while we're laughing but there's just something wrong... You don't look down that much when we're hanging out, yet now I think I've seen you bowed your head more than 5 times already."

She felt shy and uncomfortable after Kiyong pointed it out for her. Playing with the food on her plate through her chopsticks, she replied, "I didn't know you'd noticed."

"Of course, I would notice! You were always intensely happy, if not, intensely weird when we're together. There's something odd about you now. What's going on?"

Dara appreciated how attentive and concerned Kiyong was for her. By that, she thought there's no point in lying to a friend like that. She spoke, "I feel alone these days... Not that I'm envious of other people but you know, I'm getting old and I have no one I can live happily with."

Kiyong didn't judge. Instead, he totally understood. He said, "Ahhh~ I get that feeling too sometimes. But since you're older than me, I get where you're coming from. Noona, I think there's no need to rush everything. I think you deserve the best so don't you settle for anyone yet just because you feel lonely."

"I don't even have anyone."

"For now, you have us! I don't think someone as pretty as you wouldn't have a chance to have someone in the future... really!"

"All my friends seemed happy now with their lives... Some are even busy with their schedules..." ,she said as the scene that happened lately flashed before her eyes.

Kiyong replied, as if confused, "But you also have work, right? Aren't you busy too?"

Dara smiled, knowing Kiyong knew nothing about what she had in mind. She said, "I probably need a vacation or some sort."

Then Hyoni went back to her seat, cutting off whatever they're talking about. There was a dismay in her face when she said, "Unnie, I don't think I can hang out with you any longer. The producer called me and said we'll extend the photoshoot until night time. They want me to go back after this."

Dara understood that schedules could be hectic sometimes and she was lucky enough to borrow a little bit of their time anyway. She said, "It's okay. Are you done eating?"

"Yes, but I still want to hang out a little bit longer, only if I don't need to go back right away."

Kiyong asked, "New concept?"

"Yes, from scratch." ,Hyoni replied.

Dara said, "Aigoo... These models and actors are too busy~ We should all go now! Keep up the good work, kids!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter