Chapter 17

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the same afternoon, Gray was texting with Dara and sent a photo of him with his niece, updating her on what he’s doing at the moment.
Dara, who was always on her phone nowadays because of their constant communication, replied “She’s so cute! Are you with her right now?”

“Yes. Do you wanna see her?”

“Yes!”

Gray then called her through FaceTime. He had his niece in his left arm as he held his phone through his right arm. Dara happily greeted, “Annyeong!”

Gray talked to his niece and said, “Say ‘Hi’, Eunchae-ah!”

His niece was a joyful kid so she said hi while waving her hand.

Dara squealed then said, “Ahh! So cute!”

Eunchae was full of energy. She was jumping up and down and laughing. Dara noticed that the kid seemed to be too excited so she said, “Omo! She looks so happy with you. She likes you.”

“Do you like me?” ,Gray asked Eunchae with a gentle and friendly voice.

Eunchae responded cheerfully “I like uncle!”

Gray replied, “I like you too.”

Eunchae clapped her hands and giggled.
Dara was smiling the whole time while watching them bond. Seeing Gray with a child was a rare sight for her. How he suddenly transformed from tough to a soft guy when he’s with a child surprised her. It was very heartwarming and it was the exact vibe she needed for the day.
As she watched them play through their video call, she couldn’t help but to think how good of a father Gray will be in the future. He was smart, caring, thoughtful and most importantly, a gentleman. She liked that about him and was probably what hooked her in the first place to keep seeing him.

Gray was playing music for Eunchae through a piano toy when she suddenly spoke, “Do you live alone?”

Gray was muddled by her question. He reacted “Eh?”

“I’m free until the evening. We can watch Netflix.”

“In my place?” ,he cleared it out.

“Yes.”

He gently let go of Eunchae, transferred his phone on his left hand then stood up. 
He walked away for a bit and said, “Okay. I’ll go home now…”

“Oh… aren’t you playing with Eunchae?”

“I’ll be back here tomorrow anyway. I’ll clean my house.”

“I’m not nit-picky when it comes to places. It’s okay.”

“No, no. I have to tidy up at least. A girl is coming over to my house so I need to be presentable.”

She chuckled then said, “Okay then.”

“Alright. See you later!”

“See you!”

When the call ended, Gray panicked, “Oh my… oh my! What to do? She’s coming over. This cannot be true! I can’t believe this.”

Gray’s sister-in-law heard him mumbling words. She said, “Who’s coming over?”

He was startled that his aunt heard him so he hurriedly went for the exit while saying “Ah, I need to go now.”

Eunchae said, “Where are you going?”

Gray replied, “Eunchae-ah! I’ll be back tomorrow. Uncle needs to go home for now. Let’s play again tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay!” ,Eunchae responded cutely.

Gray dropped everything when Dara said she's coming. He rushed to go home. Upon arriving, he fixed his sofa where he assumed they would be staying since they’re going to watch Netflix. He sprayed perfume all over the place for it to smell like a luxurious hotel. He didn’t have much time to cook so he just ordered food for the both of them. Lastly, he groomed himself, probably dressed up too much for just a movie marathon. He badly wanted to look good for her so he put too much effort in his looks and how she would perceive him.

He was very nervous as it was his first time to let a girl come over his house. Not even some of his female acquaintances have laid a foot on his house. She was the first and probably the only one who could.

He prepared everything needed for the marathon and when everything’s ready, Dara arrived. She was right on time. 

When Gray opened the door for her, Dara laughed at his outfit and said, “Are you going somewhere?”

He covered his face with his hand and said, “I don’t want to look sloppy.”

Dara was only wearing an oversized shirt and trousers. She looked at her outfit then said, “I guess I looked too comfortable in my outfit.”

“Should I change my clothes?”

“It’s up to you. You don’t have to do this, you know. Let’s be comfortable.”

He smiled and said, “Yay! Okay! I’ll put on my pajamas!”

She laughed as she watched him go inside his room like an excited kid. He went out with a shirt and pajamas. Gray’s nervousness had gone away when she’s finally present. She always eases away his worries. Again and just like any other day from their meetups, they started off with a comfortable mood. 

They began to watch what they have been planning for a long time. They watched FRIENDS.
While they were watching, Gray said, "You know you remind me of Phoebe."  
 
"Because I'm a dimwit?" ,she joked. 
 
"No! You're not. And Phoebe is more than that. Yeah, she may not be smart all the time but she has a positive outlook in life. She had been through a lot of rough patches from her past but she remained a happy person. She's weird, eccentric, funny, confident and passionate about the things she do. She even likes playing guitar, just like you."  

"I guess you really know me a lot now. We really do have similarities. She was a great character."  
 
"Yeah… She's my favorite character. I like her a lot."  
 
Dara didn't want to assume but she felt like Gray was confessing in a subtle way by what he said. She didn't say a thing until he spoke, "I remembered I have a guitar! Hold on, I'll get it for you." He ran to his room and came back with an electric guitar with him. 
 
Dara reacted after she saw it, "Wooow! That looked great! I didn't know you play guitar too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter