Chapter 39

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, in Shanghai, China, Super Junior members were done with the first half of their rehearsal. They were having a break before they proceeded to the second half.   
While they were on their break, he isolated himself from them and sat at the side of the stadium where there were no people.
Ever since they got to Shanghai, Donghae's mood was so low that it was almost dragging the group's energy down.  
Being one of the moodsetters of their group, some of their members noticed the changes in his actions. His best friend, Eunhyuk, was the most concerned so he approached him first and said, "What's up?" 

Donghae was busy on his phone. If Eunhyuk didn't come his way, he wouldn't have taken his eyes away from it. 
He replied, "Yo."


(Background Music: Favorite Crime - Olivia Rodrigo || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUbScaCsuo)


"You looked off. Something bothering you?" ,he said as he sat beside him. He caught Donghae reading his and Dara's conversation on his phone. He spoke again, "Wasn't it too late to go back on that?" 

"Yes. I know." ,he replied to him then deleted the thread. 

Eunhyuk was surprised at his sudden decision so he reacted, “Wait! No. I didn't mean to—” 

"I meant that."

Eunhyuk was speechless after what Donghae did. He was clueless about what happened recently in Jeju anyway. Coincidentally, Siwon, who perhaps had an idea, saw them hanging out together so he went to join them. 

In high spirits, he asked "Is there a meeting here that I wasn't invited to?" 

Eunhyuk replied while pointing at Donghae, "This guy is really moving on. He just deleted their conversation on his phone." 

"Whoooa! Good for you, hyung!" 

Donghae was still on his phone but now was staring at their photo album in his gallery that nobody ever saw but them. He was browsing the photos in it and stopped at the last photo of them together before everything fell apart. He looked like he was about to have an emotional breakdown again, therefore, Eunhyuk peeked at his phone and saw what he's staring at. 

Donghae was about to press delete for the selected album when Eunhyuk said, "Dude... Are you sure?" 

Donghae replied while looking at her in the photo, "All the things I did just so she could be mine... All of those ended up to nothing. The hearts we broke... all for nothing." 

Eunhyuk and Siwon didn't speak. They just let Donghae speak out his thoughts, his feelings he'd been bottling that must be the reason he's on the low. They thought that what he needed most now was to be heard. Nothing else more. 

Donghae then continued, "I really thought that she's going to be the one. I thought we're going to get past it together but look at what we became."

He scoffed and added, "Life is funny." 

When he looked like he had nothing else to say anymore, Siwon said, "I thought you were over this phase already. You were already doing fine before. What happened?" 

"I talked to her when we're in the airport." 

"She was there? Ohhh. Wah. That made sense." ,he reacted, enlightened at what caused him to act differently from that moment until now.

"Now it's time to close the curtains."

Siwon tapped his back and said, "Ayy, that's alright. What matters is, you became a part of each other's stories. It's just that some people were not meant to stay and were just meant to pass by."

"Right. That's why I need to..." He looked at his phone again and finally pressed delete.  

Eunhyuk said, "Wow. He really deleted it. They're gone forever, you know that, right?" 

Donghae stood up and put his phone in his pocket. He said, "I have it in my Cloud just in case. But I just can't have it with me all the time. I have to move forward too." then walked away from them. 

When he was already far away, Siwon said, "Wow. That was a lot of damage right there." as he saw how much it changed Donghae. 

Eunhyuk agreed, "Love is indeed painful." 

Donghae avoided talking about anything related to her since that moment. Eunhyuk and Siwon were quick to save him to change the topic whenever the members talked about girls and her name slipped out of someone's tongue.
Donghae kept everything to himself and practiced with them even though he thought that he might not perform the same way ever again. His view suddenly changed when he was reminded as to why their relationship failed. He couldn't look his fans straight in the eye just yet. Despite Dara telling him to perform well and live well, it was still some kind of a hard pill to swallow to face them like nothing ever happened. 

He asked a favor from the members prior to their concert tomorrow to not let him talk during spiels because he was not in the mood. The members understood the phase he's going through that's why they let him be and willingly accepted the favor.

Meanwhile, while Super Junior was doing the second half of their rehearsals in Shanghai, Dara in Jeju received a message from Jiyong.

The rainfall wasn't too harsh anymore and the weather had already calmed down. She was not expecting Jiyong to beg her to come back home in defiance of a better weather condition and there's already nothing to worry about. 
He updated her about the flights to Seoul, telling her that the airport had resumed their operations and the flights were already available.

She was curious about his persistence so she replied, "Hold on. Why are you forcing me to go back? What's happening?" 
  
He didn't respond to her message until hours had already passed by. She wasn't sure if she'd like to go back anyway knowing that she's going to leave someone behind. Now she discerned that she was slightly avoiding Gray after what happened last night. The thought of her being with Gray alone was a hair she couldn’t get out of her eye and a song she couldn’t get out of her head.
 
She already had her breakfast alone and just finished her lunch without contacting Gray. It's not that she didn't like what he did, she just didn't know how to respond to it. She thought that she had already let him down too many times and now she was afraid to even touch that subject. She was feeling more of a guilt rather than being repugnant to what happened. 
 
After the surreal feeling she felt whenever she's around him, she gauges what he really stands for in her life. The way she felt that night was unexpectedly intense and she feared of not being able to handle it for the first time.
Unusual as it may be for her but while thinking about him at the moment, she was staring at her door as if she was waiting for someone to ring the doorbell. 
 
But instead of a knock or a ring that afternoon, she received a call. She excitedly checked her phone then her smile slowly faded when she saw that it was Taeyang. 
 
She answered "Ne, Youngbae-ah?" 
 
Taeyang said, "Do you have any contact with Jiyong? He's not answering any of our calls. Our staff said he wouldn't get out of his house. We have a schedule today and he must be there." 

"W-Why are you asking me this? How about his girlfriend?" 

"He wasn't answering her calls either. We were kind of wasted last night and everything's fine but ever since this morning he's not responding. We're starting to get worried."

"Did you already inform his parents about this?" 

"Yes. Still no answer from him." 

"Wahh~ This is really serious, isn't it? It's weird because he just messaged me hours ago." 

"I knew he would contact you. That's why I called you." 

"Eh? How? What does it have to do with me?" 

He couldn't tell her what he and Jiyong talked about last night because it might stir things up. He then just said, "I've frequently seen you guys together that's why I thought you were in constant communication with him." 

"We're not frequently together anymore these days though but how could I help?" 

"Can you come to his house and convince him to attend our schedule? I think you're the only person he talks to right now and you might be the only one who could persuade him." 

"Me? I... I'm in Jeju right now." 

"Please noona. We need you." 

She had a bit of a tough time whether she would choose to stay and let them handle the issue instead or to go back to Seoul for a friend in need and leave Gray. At first, she didn't want to leave Gray after all he had done for her but not until Taeyang begged, "Please?" 

Because Taeyang was a friend she couldn't say no to and Jiyong was someone special to her, she granted Taeyang's request. Jiyong was being capricious and she didn't know why she had to be the one to pacify him. But since the situation seemed critical, not just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter