Chapter 21

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They silently sat beside each other inside the car when they finally arrived at a park near Gangneung beach in Gangwon-do. It was cold since it’s already autumn and the winter is fast approaching.

Donghae slightly opened the windows for about two inches to let the fresh air in. It was chilling outside so he turned off the engine along with the air conditioner.
The silence was deafening. It was dark inside the car and only the lamp posts outside near the park were their source of light.
Donghae sighed then chuckled. He said, "Just like the old times..."

Dara gave a shy laugh and responded, "Now I'm in the passenger seat."

He remembered that Dara used to drive for them when they were dating before. "I learned how to drive now. Although it wasn't very smooth as yours, still, I knew how to." ,he laughed then rubbed the back of his neck in as he began to feel self-conscious.

“No, you were good. Surprisingly…”

Donghae laughed then said, “Surprisingly?”

Dara gave a bashful smile and Donghae said, “Ah~ Wah~ This feels nostalgic.”

She didn't speak so he continued talking, "Do you remember when we first met? People weren't too harsh back then."

The mood suddenly changed as their conversation began to be more deep and intimate.
His smile faded and both of them stared at the view from the windshield as they reminisce at the same time.

He said, "We weren't famous back then... I think those were the days when I felt most free."

She finally spoke, "We were too young and fragile before. You looked really cute when you were in highschool."

He blushed at her compliment then replied, "Hye-sun noona always bullied me because of it. Other people thought it was harassment at some point."

Dara laughed and said, "She can be like that sometimes."

He faced her and thought that now is the moment. He had her close to him again so he decided to be bolder about his feelings. He said, "Did you know that I cried when you left?"

Dara looked at him, surprised at what he said, then replied, "Really?"

He covered his face in embarrassment and said, "Because I liked you so much then you had to go."

"Omo. I wasn't aware of that. Don't worry. I'm here now."

They both laughed after.

He said, "You were once my source of motivation back then. I don't know if you still remember this but we talked about our dreams before and how we swore that we should make them come true."

"Of course, I remember that. Look how far we made it."

"We made it! We were just young people dreaming about better days before. We didn't know how hard it would be but we looked at the future with fresh eyes... Full of hope."


Then there was a long gap of silence. 

It was in the quiet when they felt the same feeling. Something they have been aching for a long time ago. The feeling they escaped from, the language they failed to translate, the words they weren’t able to say, they overflowed during the soundless moment. 
She missed him and he missed her too but they felt like new people. So much has changed over the years and it’s painful for them whenever they go over their memories.
They felt like they were reunited with their past selves while they’re with each other. 
Countless memories flashed back in their mind as if their souls intertwined to visualize.
It was indeed hard to forget someone who gave you so much to reminisce. 

She then realized that no matter how hard she tried to move forward, the path she takes will always lead back to him. She knew from that moment that even if she already met a lot of men after their connection, he owned a part of her that no one could ever replace. 
Never did she know that Donghae was also feeling the same way.

She looked at the view with tearful eyes. Her voice cracked a bit when she said, "Those were the days... You know, I wished before that you'll live a great and cheerful life as you go to where you're meant to be... I hope you're happy now. I hope you'll look back at the past and smile because where you are now is worth the hardships."

Donghae became emotional to what she said. She wished him well even after what happened. She rooted for him after all this time.
He suddenly sniffed and wiped the tear that he had been resisting to fall from his eye then said, "You are the best thing that happened to me. Thank you for showing up.”

“I feel the same.”

He sighed then said, “I wish we were young again. The world is cruel these days."

She tried to lighten the mood by staying positive so she said, "But hey! We did it! Look at us now, we have all the money and the love that we wanted before!"

He didn’t listen but instead revealed his true feelings and broke down. He said, "I was happier back then... I was happier with you. I missed that." He was covering his eyes with his arm to hide the pain. He wasn’t able to stop his tears from falling anymore.

Dara was hushed. She couldn't explain why but she felt her heart getting heavier and heavier at the moment. It seemed like they were travelling back in time, reliving their memories together and each moment they go back to, a part of their hearts cracks open.
 
She wanted to give in and comfort him. She wanted to hug him so bad but something stopped her. The sight of him being with another girl flashed back in her mind. She hated that she had to remember it now but her heart rakes all the painful memories she had with him. She couldn’t erase them no matter how hard she tried.

She cleared to speak, just in case her voice cracks again. She couldn't show how much she's hurting through her voice so she acted strong and all the pain inside her to say, "If we didn't part ways, you wouldn't have met someone else. You wouldn't have been in love with Irene..."

She grabbed the door handle to her side and added, "It happened for a reason."

Then she pulled it and opened the door. She said, "I'll get some fresh air." She stepped outside and pretended to be happy. She spun around, feeling the air and said, "Woooh~ It's cold."

Donghae followed her and stepped outside with her.

 

 

(Background Musi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter