Chapter 11

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was already morning and Donghae had a schedule at 9AM and his manager kept calling him but he was still asleep in his house.  
He slept for another 3 hours before he finally woke up and went to SM. While still feeling groggy, he proceeded to their huge cafeteria to eat his brunch. When he was in line to order his food, Irene suddenly popped out from his side. He was frightened because he never heard her footsteps coming towards him. She looked like she just appeared out of nowhere. 
He said, "Wah! Where did you come from?"  

"I have been in the cafeteria lately. I was waiting for you to look at me but you didn't. Your eyes roamed around and they passed by me. How come you didn't see me?" ,she sulked. 

"I did that?"  

"Yes!" 

"I must have been so sleepy to recognize faces." 

"Why are you late by the way? Your schedule started at 9. I waited for you."  

"I woke up late." 

"I'll eat with you!" ,she said brightly. 

Donghae looked around and said, "Where are your members?" 

"Oh. They're done eating." 

"They left you? Have you eaten your lunch?" 

"I said I waited for you, right?" ,she spoke as she looked straight in his eyes, unintentionally scaring him away. 

He bowed at his lowest to her and said, "I'm sorry." which made Irene laugh. 
 
Irene accompanied him in the line and ordered with him at the same time. Donghae left first and sat alone on a different table, separating himself from her but she sat with him on the same table.
He looked at her, wondering what she just did. He looked around again, checking if somebody was looking at them dining together. He slightly moved away while saying "What are you doing?" 

"What?" ,she replied unappalled. 

"They might see us." 

"We're just having lunch together. They wouldn't know." 

He sighed and said, "Fine… fine. Let's eat." 

They ate their food while talking casually like co-workers so others won't suspect them. Irene eats small amounts so she finishes faster than Donghae. And when she was done with her food, she stared at him. It took a few seconds before he noticed. He turned to her and smiled like a baby. He acted cute, thinking she was mesmerized by his looks today.  

Irene chuckled and pinched his cheeks as she said, "So cute!" 

But Donghae quickly moved his face away then said, "Let's not do it here." 

Irene suddenly frowned and slightly raised her voice, "Are you ashamed of me now?" 

He was surprised at her slight burst of anger. "What are you talking about? Lower down your voice." 
The mood became serious between them all of a sudden. 

She said, "Aren't you being too cautious? No one's looking." 

"I thought we already talked about this. What's wrong with you?"   

Irene thought that it was a bad idea to go off at him and tell him what she's been noticing now that she must bring back the spark in their relationship. It was not the right time to blow off her steam for she thought that he was clueless of whatever she's judging him for. As she goes back and forth with her thoughts, she realized that maybe she was just overreacting and that he was right. They had an agreement that they should keep their relationship private so his actions today were justifiable.
She bowed down as she apologized for behaving in such a way. Although deep inside her heart, she wanted him to be proud of her. She wanted him to show her off even just for a bit.

He said, "It's okay. You don't have to apologize about it." 

Irene loved his kind words. It was his consoling words that charmed her in the first place anyway. She just silently nodded like a cute child while her hands lay still on the table.
Right after he finished his food, she was shocked when Donghae abruptly held her hand on the table. 
She did not expect that at all. Her body felt hot as she blushed on the outside when he actually held her hand in a not-so-private place. It's like he could hear her thoughts. 
Irene wished that the moment could last forever. It was the first time Donghae ever showed his romantic side towards her in a public space. She loved that so much that she couldn't hide the joy in her face. But not until he pulled their hands and put it under the table to hide it.  
Her smile slowly faded. 
 
She did not expect that. She knew she should be happy that he was still holding her hand like that but she was disappointed that he was trying to hide it.  
What happened next hurt her the most. It's when Donghae's manager came in looking for him and he immediately let go of Irene's hand and pretended like he just finished eating at that time. 

His manager nagged, "Where were you? I've been calling you lately! You were hours late. You need to report to the head office now." 

He replied, "I know. I'm really sorry. I'll explain later. You go first. I'll follow."  

"Okay. Hurry up." ,his manager replied then walked away.

He spoke, "Joohyun-ah, I'll leave for now. Should we meet later?"  

"What time will you be done?" ,she faked a smile.

"Late at night. How about you?" 

"Let's just meet after work! Go ahead!" 

He stood up and walked fast towards the exit to follow his manager. While he's walking away, she shouted, "Don't be late next time!" 

He quickly turned around and put his finger over his lips, making a "Shh!" sound, then smiled widely before he took off. 
 
That's when Irene knew that he hadn't told his manager yet. She sighed after he left and was truly devastated that her plan didn't turn out the way she wanted. She blamed herself for it even if it wasn't her fault. It just happened to be at the time when Donghae had things progressing with Dara and she wasn't aware of it.  
Nevertheless, she tried to think positive because he offered to meet-up after work so at least she had something more to look forward to within the day. She thought that he was being rational and was probably too tired to spare a bit of his time of the day. She was actually making up excuses herself for Donghae's strange actions but then she knew that it had to go that way when you date another celebrity because they're always busy so she had to accept it. 
She went back with the members in the practice room and acted like they had a good time so she wouldn't be embarrassed. 
They carried on with their practice, happy that Irene is back to normal when she really was carrying a burden inside. 
 
Meanwhile, as they all get back to work, somewhere in Gangnam, Simon D was talking to a close friend that he bumped into in the supermarket. 
He was carrying a bag of bottled beers when he met Heechul who was buying treats for his cats. 
Heechul said after he saw what Simon D was carrying, "Wow. Looks like you're gonna have a party tonight." 

Simon D chuckled and said, "We're going to drink to improve productivity. What are you doing here?" 

"Ahh… AOMG is gonna have a toast later? I was here for my cats' treats." 

"You should come with us!" 

"No. I don't drink these days. Thanks for the offer anyway." 

"No, you should really come because I need a ride." ,he teased. 

Heechul reacted, "What the hell? Don't you have someone with you today? How did you even get here without a car?" 

"I'm alone and they told me to buy. I rode a taxi. You know I can't drive."  

"You knew how to drive! You just forgot how to do it." 

Simon D replied while smiling, "Yes. That was many years ago. I seriously forgot how to drive. I've also aged so my memory is poor now." 

"You want me to drive you back to your building?"

He playfully hugged Heechul as he said, "Come on man, we're friends. Do this for me." 

"I don't even know how talking about alcohol leads me to sending you back to work."

Simon D laughed, rejoicing that Heechul took his bait. 
They were close friends anyway and they relate a lot with each other because their ages were just months apart. Besides, Heechul has a lot of friends in the industry so he gets along with almost everyone. 
He bought treats first then went to his car to drive for Simon D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter