Chapter 40

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That same afternoon, she carried on to the flight after ending a call with Gray.
With a joyless mood, she breathed heavily. She finally took the flight without looking back.
Without waiting for someone to stop her anymore and without regrets now.

She had a heavy heart for leaving but she believed that if you care about someone, you make them a priority, that if you care about someone, you show up for them when they need you. Therefore, she made sure to stick with Jiyong, not just when it is easy, but when it is difficult as well. She felt it with his voice when he called her. He was lonely. Because she was close to him and she knew him very well, she could tell that he was not himself the past few months. Not only physically but his whole aura had changed. She couldn’t bear seeing someone so dear to her like that. That’s why she thought she had to be there for him, not just because she had to be, but because she wanted to be. 

Jiyong was someone she considered special. What they had was indestructible. They may fight from time to time but it won’t ever decrease their value in each other’s lives. It was not the typical love you watch on television with hollow and sequined glint, not all high shoes and drama, but the kind of love that felt like a surprise found in your pocket. It was love in its purest form.

So just as she arrived in Seoul, she went straight to Jiyong’s house and called him. She wasn’t expecting him to pick up quickly nor she was expecting him to answer at all. But she didn’t give up and kept on waiting instead.

It took him long before he miraculously answered and mentioned his password, like he wanted her to go inside by herself. It wasn’t inviting but she just took it positively that he responded to her at least.

She entered and asked “I’m inside. Where is your room?”

“To the left.”

When she found his room, she disconnected the call. She knocked on his door then he told her to just enter. Then as she entered, she was relieved that he was safe and unhurt. 
However, she saw him sitting on his bed, looking haggard and unwell. She almost couldn’t say anything after seeing him because it stirred too many emotions within her.
He smiled to act delighted that she really did come back but then instead of being vocal about it, he just stared at her and waited for her to speak.

She stood by his door and just said, “I’m back now.”

He just bobbed his head and replied, “Yes.”

It was awful, if she was to explain how she felt while looking at his state. It was months ago since they last saw each other and now he looked worse. She never knew because they only get to contact each other through a text or a call. It worried her but not to the extent of throwing her off. He was still the same Jiyong in her eyes. She thought that surely, it was easy to love someone when they are soft and light, when they are filled with hope and happiness but loving someone when they are wearing their flaws like an apology, when they are carrying hurt within them—that is when it meant the most. From there on, she thought she must stick around for a while.

But now, she couldn’t stand seeing him in poor health and mental state so she asked, “Is everything okay with you?”

“I'm fine.” 

“This is not you. You're not fine.” 

He chuckled at the thought that she saw through his pretense. He probably got bad at acting so he asked, “Was I that bad?”

He wanted to change the atmosphere but he was surprised that she didn't react the same as how he expected her. Usually, she would banter to counter his attack but her face showed concern more than playfulness.
There were tears in her eyes; her eyes full of worry and sadness. 

She said, “I hate seeing you like this. Please be okay.” then sniveled.

He wasn't expecting her to break down in tears in front of him. It was probably the first time he saw her cry in person. He moved a little bit from his position but couldn’t get himself to stand up or do something. He was so startled, he also forgot to speak. 

“I'm worried about you. You don't laugh the same. You don't act the same. The changes in your body and your face... It hurts me every time I see them. I want you to be okay. Really, please be okay, Jiyong.” 

He watched her cry for him. At that moment, he realized the amount of care she has for him. He stared at her, at someone who was probably the only remaining consistent person in his life. When all the other people had left his side, she was there, continuously supporting him in every step he makes in life. When he shut his world off, she came to him like a light pulling him out of his darkness. 


Slowly, a grin appeared on his face. He stood up and stretched his arms upward. He jumped up and down then said, “I’m okay. Aren’t we all going to be okay in the end?”

“That’s true.”

Unexpectedly, him being his spontaneous self, he hugged Dara. It was the first thing that came to his mind ever since he saw her open his room’s door. Truth be told, it was the thing he always wanted to do. Now that they’re alone together in his private space, he gained the courage to finally do it.

 

(Background Music: Like A Film - Leesa || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY64CBhx1sM)


They were never the type of friends who hug each other casually and an emotional and intimate touch from each other usually make them shudder to the bones but not this time. 

There was silence, not the one that brings embarrassment but one that brings comfort. He was always rough with her that may evidently come out as sharp words, but this time, he was surprisingly gentle. 

He said, “Thank you.”

Then Dara grabbed the sleeve of his shirt and rubbed it in her eyes to dry her tears. 
While still keeping the hug, Jiyong laughed then nagged, “Aish! Does my shirt look like a rag to you?”

She chuckled and replied, “You didn’t offer me tissues, so…”

He sarcastically asked, “Do you want to blow your nose on it too?”

“Can I?” ,she joked.

As he was laughing, he gently pulled away and gave her a pat on her head. He kept his smile and sat back on his bed. Again, he stared at her. 

She wiped her tears and sniffed like a kid. She said, “Tell me what’s going on with you these days.”

He tapped his bed and said, “Sit here first.”

She sat beside him and listened to him as he opened up for the first time. Unconsciously, he was opening his world again. He let out all the burdens he felt, all the stresses from work and the pressure from it. They were like puzzle pieces that complement each other. They get each other so much even in the times of wanting to disappear. They knew how it exactly feels being on their phone a lot and ignoring texts and calls from people. Because of it being one of their mutualities, no matter how depressive it is, they became each other’s support system.

He thought it felt nice to vent to someone who truly gets him. It was like free therapy.
She then gave herself the space to dive with him into a deeper conversation, into the kind of quality time that made them feel like they were the only people in the world. She laughed with him and lost themselves in time. It was the kind of moment that made him feel that she was there, like really there. It had been so long since he last connected to anyone so it felt refreshing for him. 
It was a special moment for both of them for the love they have for each other was not something done with one foot out the door and it was never given in bare minimums. They knew that no matter what the situation was, they got each other's back.

Jiyong was too carried away by the feeling within him that felt like he was an empty cup that had been refilled, that he leaned his head on her shoulder and said, “I wish we’ll stay like this until the end.”

He added, “You’re a part of my life I want to preserve.”

“You’ll always have me.”

“Always?”

“Maybe not always. When one of us gets married, we’ll get busier. Let me change that, you’ll sometimes have me.”

He moved his head away then laughed out loud at her witty remark. Later, he said, “Wow. That felt great. I think I haven’t laughed for quite some time.”

“I missed you. This ‘you’. You surprised me with your actions in a row before, you know.”

Remembering his past actions, he sniggered lightly then said, “I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I said things to you that I wasn't supposed to. I'm sorry I kept telling you to avoid him before. I've been too controlling. It shouldn't have been my business... It wasn't from the start. I'm sorry.” 

“It's fine. You were kind of a machine gun those days but we're over that now, aren't we?” 

He laughed and replied almost instantly, “Machine gun? I thought that was a sniper move.” 

Because it was part of the past, she just laughed it off too. Jiyong's words were always on point anyway and it in fact helped her back then. 

While they reminisced about what happened before, Jiyong spoke in a weak voice, “I just wanted you to pay attention to the small wrong behaviors a man shows you because over time, it will turn into big problems. I mean, didn't it?” 

“Yeah, but the breakup was more on my part. I guess we're really not right for each other. We tried though. Twice even, to prove that point.” 

“I want you to have the man who deserves you.” 

“I want the same for you. I’m surprised you weren’t answering her calls. Taeyang told me.”

“Taeyang told you?”

“Ye.”

His mood changed all of a sudden when he asked, “Did you come back here just to convince me on their behalf?”

To which she denied instantly, “No. Not at all. I came back here because I’m worried.”

He didn’t respond and kept his head low.

Dara spoke to reassure him, “I care for you. I’m not here to force you to go but if you change your mind and decide to attend your schedule, I’ll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter