Chapter 36

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, Dara and Gray rode a cab back to the pension. The whole ride was silent and Dara didn’t speak a single word. Gray was concerned about the sudden change of her mood when he went back from the boarding area until their care ride home. He knew there was something wrong and something happened back there but he didn’t bother to ask her about it.
He believed every person has their own problems that they keep to themselves, so to give her the privacy she deserves, he just kept quiet throughout the whole ride and endured the awkwardness he felt.

She coldly bid her goodbye to Gray before they got to their own rooms to unpack their belongings. The room had the view of the Seongsan Mountain from the window and the sea on the other. She could tell Gray chose wisely and she wanted to thank him for that but she wasn’t in her high spirits tonight to do it.
She sat on her bed and sighed.

She had never felt more alone in an empty room with the rain pouring. The weather was twice as cold now because of the incoming typhoon. The windows were tight shut yet the coldness was still repulsing. She the heater in her room and hugged herself to feel warmer, each of her arms through her hands to kindle heat.
But just when she touched her arms, she remembered the arm that Donghae held lately.

It automatically sowed a tear from her eye.

Every time she was reminded, there was a certain ache in her heart and her tears were always brought out. It felt like her healing wound was renewed and it bleeds each time she thinks of him, like every thought compares to a punch in her rib cage.
She touched the same area that he held and thought that it might be the last time that she could feel his touch. Now that she’s alone and without the company of others, her emotions were undisguised. She then let her guards down and finally cried loudly.

She was worried how she could forget all of their moments and all the places they’ve been through when all of them remained vivid in her mind. What made her hurt more was the fact that they spent too little time together physically. They were always hiding from people.
They used to always hear each other’s voices through the phone but the world didn’t know how they were speaking their love to each other. How much their love screams yet silenced by the public's opinion.

Her voice was shaking when she spoke, “Why can’t they like me?”

Her tears wouldn’t stop falling as the pain began to feel deeper and deeper in her heart. She cried uncontrollably, promising herself that this would be the last blow. She was still in the process of accepting the fact that the person she once made memories with will soon become a memory too. He was right. Someday, what they had wouldn’t matter anymore but right now, she wasn’t sure if she wouldn’t cry for him ever again.

The night felt endless and the pain was crushing her each hour that passed. She was afraid it wouldn’t stop unless she fell asleep. Because she knew she was incapable of doing it now, she gave in to her last resort.

Within an hour, wearing her puffy eyes and red nose, she received 3 bottles of Soju from her door. She thanked the delivery man and drank them all like she was in a rush.
Even if it’s just temporary, she went for it out of desperation. She badly wanted to numb the pain as soon as possible before it kills her, as what it felt like.
In a short amount of time, she felt dizzy and had a sudden impulse of doing something crazy. She thought it was now or never and that she might not get the same amount of freedom once she’s back in Seoul so she went out of her room, without any umbrella, without her phone to dance in the rain.

When she was going out of the pension, she passed through a grandma who seemed to be the landlord. She saw Dara with messy hair, red cheeks and tired eyes walking out of the pension without any umbrella and just walked through the rain.
She remembered her because only a few tenants were occupying her pension tonight due to the storm and she was sure that the orders of bottles of Soju came from her room.
She worried that she must be drunk and out of herself so it would be dangerous for her to be outside at the time of the day.
It was already quarter till 12 AM and it was raining hard outside. It wasn’t safe.

Her concern was wearing her out that’s why she went to ring Gray’s room, someone who she knew would know Dara because they came together.
It took her a few rings before Gray rose from his bed after hours of slumber.

The moment he opened the door, the grandma worriedly said, “Hurry, your friend is outside.”

Still sleepy, he responded, “Who?”

“The girl. I think she drank a lot and I saw her leave the building all by herself without any umbrella. She must be soaking wet by now. Aigoo~ That girl… It’s cold. What was she thinking?”

“The girl I came here with?”

“Yes! My eyesight might be bad but I’m sure.”

Without hesitation, Gray went inside his room, wore a jacket, brought a blanket and an umbrella, then rushed to go outside without saying anything back to the grandma.

(Background Music: The Mighty Rio Grande - This Will Destroy You || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbszJJr9I9U)

While he was running his way down the ground floor, the grandma was shocked that he took off in a flash. He was quick to exit the building, disregarding the loud thunderstorms and the heavy rain outside.

She just stared at the entrance door when she went down and said, “Love really makes you do dangerous things, eh?” She shook her head and added “Kids nowadays.”

The sound of thunder was roaring up in the sky and the wind was blowing harshly outside. But for Gray it was not a hurdle. He felt cold and his body was unmanageably shaking yet he wasn’t even thinking of himself this time. All that matters to him now was to find Dara and bring her back to the pension where it’s safe.

He tried calling her but she was not answering. He was fretful like a cat on a hot tin roof. He didn’t know where to find her or how to find her and he was beginning to lose hope.
But the rain was pouring heavier and one thing he knows for sure is that if he’s having a hard time with an umbrella, Dara was experiencing the rain twice as harsh as him.

He tried to recall everything that happened that led her to her actions tonight. He just knew she started acting differently after they came from the airport but he didn’t really know what happened there. Wretchedly, he wished he could be a safe place for her to open up her problems to him. He wished he could comfort her and hug her. She tries so hard to hide it, but he sees right through her disguise.

She was not okay.

There were no people around and all of the people were probably inside their houses for safety but here he is, rigorously looking for Dara as if he was invincible.
He checked the time on his phone and found out that he was already looking for her for half an hour. It wasn’t that long since she was gone that he thought she might be nearby.
He was beyond worried at this point so when he saw a car pass him by, he took his chances and immediately stopped it to ask whether they saw a girl walking around without any umbrella. 

The driver shouted, struggling to let Gray hear his voice under the noisy drops of heavy rain on his roof,  “I saw her too! She went there! I think she was going to the beach side!”

Gray was rattled when he heard an affirmative news. He replied, “To the beach side?!”

“Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter