Chapter 35

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They were talking so much throughout the entire ride that they didn’t notice the sky getting cloudy, therefore, when they got inside the airport, they were surprised as it began to rain.

He said, "The weather was really unpredictable." 
 
Dara worried and said, "Omo. Jiyong was right. There really is a typhoon." She tilted her head to both sides as she wondered, "But it was sunny earlier." 
 
Gray said, "There is no time left. You suit yourself and get going." 
 
"Aren't you coming?" 
 
"I'll be here for 5 days. I'll remain committed to that." 
 
"Hmmm." ,she nodded while pouting. 
 
Gray smiled to cheer her up. He told her to send him a message once she had climbed aboard the plane then waved his hand, bidding his goodbye. 
 
Dara stared at him then said, "I had the best time of my life within a short amount of time. It was fun! Thanks to you!" 
 
Gray just bowed his head, didn't say anything and pointed his hand towards the direction where she should be going as a signal that she needs to go.

She was alarmed that she really had to go when she checked the time. She still had to talk to an airline officer about the arrangement Jiyong made with them for her to go to the boarding area. Thus, before she finally dashed her way to her errands, she flashed an innocent smile and waved back to him. 
 
After half an hour of confirming the receipts, she triumphantly reached the boarding area. She felt lucky she had the privilege to sneak into a flight like that, and the credits for the immediate booking goes to Jiyong, also known as G-Dragon's power. 

Right on time, the driver from the airport that Jiyong also contacted, called her and asked her if she safely arrived at the airport and was in the boarding area already because he must drive her towards the plane ramp. Most celebrities do it so they wouldn't get caught up with too many people in the waiting area as they wait for the boarding time.
 
She answered yes, therefore the driver said, “Please ride the black van—"

She looked around and saw the black van just on time. It was raining and she didn’t bring an umbrella with her so she had to run her way to it since it was parked in an open area. She just said, “Oh! I already saw it! I’m coming!” and scampered her way out.

The driver continued, "—on the left side. Hello?" He looked at his phone and said, "She hung up?" 

Dara ran to the right side and hopped inside the van immediately for shelter in the pouring rain. 
She was wiping herself when she saw that there was another person in the van beside her and it was just not another person, it was Donghae.

He was fixing his shirt when she arrived. They both looked shocked when they saw each other.  

As she entered the van, the driver read the atmosphere so he went out and left them for the meantime to give them their privacy. Donghae said, “Ya! Where are you going? Ya!” as he tried to prevent him from leaving but the driver went out in a hurry so he wasn’t able to catch him. 

"This can't all be happening in one day." Dara thought. 
 
Donghae couldn't speak yet because he was still surprised and probably in the middle of processing what just happened. 
 
Dara apologized, "I'm sorry. I must have mistaken this van as my designated van." 
 
She was about to open the door and go out when Donghae held her arm and said, "Are you crazy? It's raining outside. You can't go running around just like that. You might get sick." 
 
"The rain is not too strong. I can handle it." 
 
"I said don't." 
 
Dara obeyed him for he got a point. She continued wiping herself and did not say anything.  
Donghae let go of her arm when she eased up.  
The awkwardness in the air was thick. They didn't know how to handle the situation so both of them weren't talking. 
They were trying to avoid each other for many months and now they were stuck together inside a van. 
 
Their quietness stretched out for a minute until Donghae finally decided to talk, "I never thought I'd meet you here." 
 
"Ye. I'm on a vacation but I had to go back because of the weather condition." ,she said without looking at him. She was just looking straight at the windshield being showered by the rain.

Donghae did the same then replied, "Yeah. I heard that too. I'm here to film a show with Siwon. We're supposed to hike Hallasan Mountain but the filming was postponed because of the weather forecast. They told us it would be dangerous up there when it rains, that's why we'll just go back to Seoul to catch a flight to Shanghai for our concert in 2 days. Today was unfortunate but I'm thankful that the flight wasn't cancelled." 

He was trying to make the flow of their conversation as normal as possible. Although in the middle of speaking, he thought he might have said too much information. He nearly regretted it until she responded. 
 
"You came here with Siwon?" 
 
"Ne. He's in another van." 
 
"Ahh… Good luck at your concert!" 
 
He was just glad that he was receiving the same energy back from her. Casual and informal as he intended it to be.  
He asked in a friendly way, "How are you these days? I saw that you're travelling a lot." 
 
"Ah yes. I'm into it nowadays. How about you? I saw you filming at Gyeongju recently with your group."  
 
"Oh right. We filmed a show there a week ago. I didn't know you were there either. Why didn't you stop by to say hi?" 
 
"We actually just passed by the filming location so I don't think it was necessary. I'm already happy just by seeing you more outgoing than usual." 
 
"It was always fun with those guys." 
 
She knew she would curse herself for what she was about to say, but no matter how stupid and pathetic it may sound, she thought she just had to ask him, "You and Yein… are you guys a thing?" 
 
He slightly chortled and replied, "It's all for the show. Those guys live for the teasing. Talking nonsense is what makes them breathe." 
 
She just gave an awkward chuckle then stayed silent after. 
 
He noticed her reaction and asked, "Does it bother you?" 
 
Without further ado, she said in defense "No. I was just in for the gossip."
 
"Ahh…" He stayed still. He thought she could do better than just having a few small words. She didn't mean them, he knows it, in a way that it makes it worse. He then broke the silence after many seconds, "Stop lying." 
 
"I'm not lying."  
 
"That's impossible. When will you drop the act and just admit that you're not okay?"  
 
She denied, "I am okay. I'm trying to be okay. I will be okay!"  
She raised her voice a little bit, annoyed that she had to uncover what she had tried to keep for so long. 
 
Her statement made both of them muted. The sound of the raindrops hitting the roof of the van became more heard and the humming of the air conditioner was their only music.
It was the quiet moments that choked the breath from their bodies and short circuited their minds. Right in front of them was their reality. What once was whole is shattered and what once was peace is emptiness.
All of the coping they did was only a thin veil over their sadness that wells up and even the smallest of setbacks change their emotional state. 
 
They were back at it again.


(Background Music: Break My Heart Again - Finneas || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS7gY_vdAn8)


He faced her and gazed at her eyes when he asked, "Where did we go wrong?" ,with tears in his eyes and his lips hanging low.

"Eh?" She finally looked at him and saw the pitiful look on his face.

He asked again wearing the same expression, "What happened to us?" 

She battled with herself whether she's doing the right thing by staying with him in the van because she didn't know if she could properly answer his questions without breaking down.  

Donghae waited for her to speak, longing for her answers so he could finally shut his feelings for her after. He watched her and saw how she struggled to speak. He could see that she was also hurting and it maddened him more thinking why they had to suffer when they still evidently have feelings for each other. 

He spoke his thoughts, "We could've worked out. Why do we have to—" 

She cut in, "We... People sometimes drift apart for them to grow as an individual." while looking anywhere but his side.

"But do we really have to break up?"

She didn't speak but her silence was loud. It was crystal clear for Donghae. There were only a few times his heart could break. He didn't have to be reminded twice that she doesn't want him back. He already knew her answers before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter