Chapter 4

Our Quiet Language
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That afternoon, Donghae dressed up with his most comfortable clothes and met with Irene. It was one of the benefits for dating a labelmate. They see each other a lot within their building so they have surely seen each others’ bare faces while wearing the most casual clothing as if inside a house. 
He picked her up through his car. She had her hair down and was wearing a very cute white dress. She greeted as she saw him while hopping inside, “Oppaaaa!~”

Donghae was awestruck by her beauty again. He flashed a bright smile and replied, “Hello~ How are you?”

She said, while she’s busy fastening her seatbelt, “I’m doing fine.” She then looked at him after everything was set in her position. 

“Ah~ So handsome today…” ,she said with her cute voice.

Donghae forgot to reply because he’s busy stirring the steering wheel to take a turn.

Irene said, “You’re quiet.”

“Me? Ah no—I was keeping my eye on the road. What should we eat?”

“I already asked my manager to order food. I told him we’ll meet him around Apgujeong street to pick it up.”

“You asked your manager?” He chuckled.

“Yes. We can’t order ourselves. People will recognize us.”

“I know… I mean, your manager knows?”

“Of course. I can’t let the girls(Red Velvet members) order for us. It will be too much of a chore for those kids.”

“They know too?” He seemed surprised.

Irene looked at him after she noticed the shock in his voice. She said, “I let them know. I can’t hide anything with them, you know. If so, they will find out eventually anyway, especially Yeri, that kid is too nosy.”

Donghae smiled on the outside but on the inside, he felt a little agitated knowing that there are more people who were aware of their relationship. Now he had more reasons to feel guilty if all else fails between them. He would forever be reminded if he did something bad because those people are the people he meets on a daily basis. His conscience wouldn’t be able to handle it.
He was dealing with distress within when he spoke lively, hiding that he’s terrified, “How are they these days?”

“They’re doing good. How about you? I haven’t seen you for a week.”

“Ah, I have no schedule this week. After three days, I’ll go back to work.”

“Good!” She clapped then said, “Then we’ll see each other again!”

“What street is it again?” ,he randomly asked.

“Apgujeong.”

“Got it.” He focused on driving after, busy with navigation. He was silent for a whole minute. For not so long, Irene noticed it. She said, “Is there something wrong? You looked a bit troubled.”

“Me? Why? Joohyun-ah got worried?” ,he had spoken with aegyo.

“Of course! If you have a problem, just tell me, okay? I’ll try to help. I’m here.”

Donghae bobbed his head, smiling. He was touched to have a girlfriend who’s worried about him but on the other hand, he also couldn’t stand lying to himself by keeping it going like this. She was too much for him, he thought.

It didn’t take them long before they reached their destination and picked up the food from her manager. Irene hastily closed the windows and avoided any interaction to avoid the smallest attention from the public. Surely, the fans could recognize Irene’s manager so they had no conversation at all.
They drove off and parked at a faraway place from the city. They stayed at a mountain side and ate their food. Donghae spoke after he took a sip from the straw of his drink and said, “This was nice.”

“Yes! I like this!” She smiled.

“Are you happy?”

She cheerfully replied, “Very very very happy!”

Donghae stared at her smiling face and childishly said, “Joohyun-ah is happy~”

“Let’s do this more often, oppa! I like having you alone like this. It’s more intimate. I don’t like being around too many people.”

“I know that.”

At the moment, Donghae found it hard to breathe. He looked like he was having an anxiety attack. He couldn’t continue the pretense more now that he’s personally with her.

Right after Irene was done with her food too, Donghae’s phone rang. He saw the call was from Eunhyuk so he immediately answered, “Yeah Hyukjae?”
Irene didn’t mind because Eunhyuk is their friend so she compiled their leftovers and cleaned up the mess from their meal in his car while he’s talking on the phone.
Eunhyuk said, “Are you sulky? I’m sorry if I upset you from what I said lately. I already had a little bit of sleep.”

Donghae replied out of context, pretending Eunhyuk said something else, “Oh now?”

Eunhyuk had no idea what he’s talking about so he said, “What?”

“Okay. I’ll go there. You’re at home, right?”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Okay… Wait for me.”

“Wha—”

Donghae hung up before Eunhyuk finished his word. He acted busy, looking at his phone and said, “Hyukjae called me. He said he wanted to record a demo with me.”

“Ahh… for an album?”

“Yeah yeah.” He looked at Irene and showed his puppy eyes. “Let’s do this again next time?”

Irene was considerate to let him be. She said, “Of course! Next time. You’ll be at the office soon anyway.”
He felt relieved that he got away with today. Eunhyuk’s call was a blessing in disguise for him. He called at the right time. It was the perfect escape. It felt like a thorn was plucked out of his chest.

He said as an additional alibi, “We have to work harder for our songs.” Then without thinking twice, he started his engine and they drove back so he could drop her off their apartment.

Irene got silent on their trip back. She thought, “He immediately ended our date just like that. Ah! I should be more understanding. I should know his field of work and how it works. He was needed for songs. It’s his job. It’s just work… just work. He will always return to me anyway. He’ll be back after three days.”
When they were near her and the girls' apartment, Donghae talked, “Did you have fun?”

Irene forcedly smiled and said, “Yes! Take care on your way to Eunhyuk oppa’s house, okay?”

He smiled in return and said, “I can take care of myself. Don’t worry too much, okay?”
She nodded.

After sending her off, Donghae hastily drove to Eunhyuk’s house. He thought, “Ah! I can’t handle this! I’ve done wrong! I’ve done wrong. This is wrong.”
He the music in his car just in case it would calm him down but having extra voices around his ears wasn’t helping at all. He turned it off right away.  His heart was in resistance to whatever his intentions were. It got in the way when he was trying to distract himself and living in the present lately.
It was haywire inside his head. He just kept his focus on the road as a temporary entertainment and before he knew it, he was already in front of Eunhyuk’s door.

He rang his bell many times, as if in a hurry. He heard Eunhyuk shout, irritated from the continuous ringing of his door bell,  “Who the hell is that?!”
He looked at the peephole and saw that it was Donghae on the other side of the door. He breathed in and breathed out, trying to collect the remaining relaxing air he had now that he’s not yet inside his house because he knew it would be tiresome from this moment on.
He said, “Here we go again.” then ope

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter