Chapter 56 - Wonderland

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

I'm back with a looong chapter ╰(*´︶`*)╯

 

☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・

 

“Wonderland.”

Gentle breeze carries a whisper from a man beside me to my ears. Faint moonlight softens his sharp features, his shoulder length mullet dance in the air, his unwavering gaze fixates on the island before us.

“I hope it’s Wonderland.” I said it even though it’s a wishful thinking.

The whole situation was too strange. Somehow we survived the maelstrom and the kraken, and woke up before this mysterious island in the middle of nowhere.

The pirates have no choice but to investigate the island. Hongjoong dispatched a scavenging team—the quartermaster as the lead, the combatant, the master gunner, and several other crew members—to explore the area. Hongjoong disallowed me from going with them as he suspected that the place could be monsters’ den. Hence I informed them of Wonderland's characteristics where the memory lied in the deepest parts of my brain.

While we’re waiting for the good news, the pirates busily repaired the ship. Unfortunately, they lost a few crew members but lucky enough that the ship isn't in bad shape.

“Miracle was never on our side.” Hongjoong lets out a dry chuckle. Both hands clench around the rail of the quarterdeck.

His pessimism left a bitter taste in my mouth. I understand that his journey to the throne was arduous; however, we’re still alive and breathing, I ought to oppose his dubiousness. He’s one of the main characters, luck would always be on his side even when he struggled with obstruction, it’s for the sake of the plot.

Oh, wait, they almost died in the last chapter...

 

“Anything could happen. ” I affirm him. Since I was destined to transmigrate here, I could be a crucial factor that can change Ateez’s ill fate, or rather accelerate the plot by sending them into their doom faster. Hopefully, it’s not the latter one.

Then again, I start praying in my mind, wishing that this island is Wonderland.

“I never believe that miracles exist,” Hongjoong let go of the rail, turning to face me. His sharp gaze have subtle spark in them. “Until the day you stepped on my ship. ”

My eyes widened at his confession. Although I’m a little angry from the commotion he caused at the kitchen, my poor heart begins to quicken up its pace.

The man in front of me isn’t the domineering pirate king, he’s Hongjoong that I like. Whenever he’s alone with me his personality changes.

Oh how I hate his duality!

 

“An eccentric girl claiming she was a seeress to help the most notorious pirates in the seven seas.” His mouth curves upward. “You caught my eye at the first sight.”

I bite inside my cheek to prevent myself from smiling like a fool.

“Why? Because I’m pretty?” I ask him and regret it immediately as he throws his head back to laugh loudly. I grimace and hit his arm.

Hongjoong continues to chuckle. “Yes, you’re pretty. But that wasn’t what caught my eyes, it was the way you look at me. How sparks flashed across your eyes when our eyes first met. I used to think that you made up a story to aboard my ship because you had a crush on me.”

My mouth agape. Oh lord! I might’ve revealed my fangirling side to him. But it’s too late to be embarrassed now. So instead I put on a poker face. “Well, I have to say you're a highly imaginative person, captain.”

Hongjoong smirks and shakes his head, stepping closer to me. His arms extend to encircle around my waist. “And seems like I’m correct. Because you love me.”

“You surely are too confident.” I try to push him away because where we stand is an open area, he’s being touchy-feely in front of his crew again.

“I am. I don’t believe in my first mate’s gibberish talk. You love me but,” His sight cast downward, grabbing my hands. “All you do is push me away.”

Guilt pool in my stomach like an acid. I turn away from his burning gaze. “I…” However, words refuse to come out of my mouth.

“My little treasure keeps running away from me. But I’m a pirate, I’m good at chasing treasure.”

His confidence squeezes my heart. He doesn’t understand that I’ll be gone from this realm as if I never existed before.

“Your attempt will only be futile. It won’t work Hongjoong, no matter what you do.” I pull my hands back. “So we should put an end to this relationship. It’s my fault for leading you. I’m sorry.”

I turn my face away from him, the back of my eyes start to burn. Silent envelope us as Hongjoong didn’t speak anything after me. 

Unexpectedly, he pulled me into a tight embrace.

“Hongjoong, let go. It won’t change anything.” I writhe in resistance.

 

“The thought of losing you terrifies me.” A frail tone that I never imagined coming out of his mouth caused me to stand still.

“It wasn’t a miracle that brought you to me. It’s the curse that takes you away from me.”

Every word jab to my heart. It reminds me of what Wooyoung told me before. It scares me how their characters changed so much because of me.

“When you drowned, when the whirlpool almost took your life, I loathed how useless I was. What pirate king? What heartless captain? I’m just a powerless boy I used to be.” His strong facade crumbled.

Spontaneously my arms secure around his waist. I fail to utter any words to comfort him. Giving him false hope will do more harm than good.

An agony silent envelope us while we stayed in that position for a moment before he let go of me.

“Tell me Star, what can I do to make you stay?” He grips my shoulder, forcing me to look at him.

“There’s nothing you can do.” Yes, he can’t do anything. It’s beyond his power.

Hongjoong lets out shaky breath. “I try to think why would you leave me, and only one answer remains clear.” He slowly let go of me. His countenance hardened.

“Because I’m a pirate.”

As if I was struck by a thunder, my mind recalls a similar scene from the original story where Hongjoong confronted Y/N after she rejected him multiple times. Sadly their relationship turned sour after that. The reason why she never admitted her love to anyone because she hated pirates. Although the pirates were able to enter her heart she chose morality over love. Until the very end where her lover was at the end of his life, she disclosed her feelings.

I shake my head. Although my situation is quite different, will this very reason end my relationship with him too?

“Then what’s so hard to stay beside me? Your family? Chris? My crew?” Hongjoong tries to suppress anger in his tone.

“I’m sorry.” I can’t tell you the truth. Telling him that he’s a character in a book? He’d think that I made it up and the situation would be worse.

Hearing my apology, he laughs sarcastically.

“If you don’t love me, then all you need to do is say it in front of me.”

Numbness travels from my head to toes. The angst I used to like reading hit me square in the face. This terrible feeling is killing me. Is this what Y/N feel like at that moment?

“If you don’t say it, I won’t let you go.”

“Hongjoong, please don’t do this.” My voice cracks. Tears threaten to fall down my face any moment.

Hongjoong ice cold facade remains unwavering. A domineering person like him won’t let the issue go until I surrender.

However, I don’t intend to yield and reconcile. I clench my eyes shut and I say it.

 

“I don’t love you.”

 

That one sentence as sharp as a knife pierce my heart. It was a mistake falling in love with a book character. One day the story will end and I’ll have to return into reality.

I didn’t know I cried until a warm hand brushed against my face.

“If that's what you really want, miss Star.” His voice was raspy and thick. I open my eyes, but tears prevent me from seeing his face.

He gently wipes my tears without saying a word. My throat tightens as I try not to cry in front of him.

“I’ll find out what is forbidding you from staying with me?”

Even when I broke his heart, his assertiveness doesn’t falter. I can’t believe that the mighty Hongjoong loves me this much. Then he engulfs me in a hug, patting my head. My mouth twists at the warm gesture, letting out ugly sob.

 

When several footsteps approach us from the stairs, we instantly back away from each other. I choke back tears, stepping behind Hongjoong to hide my tear-stained face from the crew.

“Captain, we’re back.” Seonghwa said. A hint of excitement fills his voice that I have to peak my head to observe him. He peers at me for a second. To my surprise, those eyes are void of usual distaste whenever he looks at me.

“Good. What’s your report?” Hongjoong switches on captain mode like a pro.

“The island has no monster or living things except weird plants that glow in the dark. There’s a cave in the middle of the island ” Seonghwa pauses, lips curl upward. “We went inside the cave and found a pool just like Star’s mentioned.”

My ears perked as soon as I heard him.

Oh my god, does that mean...

“What do you say, seeress?” Hongjoong turns to me, slightly unenthusiastic. In contrast to the crews, their faces brighten with hope.

“The description matches with the story-...I mean my dream.” Thrills went down my spine, causing my tongue to slip. Luckily, the pirates didn't suspect anything. They impatiently wait for my confirmation.

“Therefore this island could be Wonderland.”

As soon as I said the last sentence, the pirates shouted in joy, soon their voices echo throughout the ship.

I can’t help but smile, seeing them being happy. The news is too good to be true. After a long journey, we stumble on Wonderland by luck. Seems like miracle is on Ateez's side.

Seonghwa loosen his facade and grin widely. I almost have a heart attack. When his gaze meets mine, he immediately wears a stoic expression.

“Good. You prepare all the crew to Wonderland.” Hongjoong orders the trying-to-be-calm quartermaster.

“Aye, captain.” Seonghwa can’t keep his cool further as his mouth curves upward again. He instantly left the quarterdeck, barking orders to the crew to prepare themselves to aboard ashore.

“See, miracle is on your side.” I told Honjoong. Unlike Seonghwa, he’s the calm one.

“It’s suspicious.” His scrutinized gaze observed the glowing island.

“That’s why it's called a miracle.”

“I hope it is. Let’s go.” He grabs my wrist, leading me down stairs.

“Wait, I’ll go get Aurora first.” I halt in my tracks.

Aurora locks herself inside the cabin. After the incident, she was shaken up so bad that I had to let Yeosang check up on her. When I thought that she warmed up to the surgeon, she proved me wrong as she shut herself off.

“I can get her for you.” Another voice chimes in. Before I could stop the playboy first mate, he already dashed away. I sigh, the story is about to end but there’s still no progress between Aurora and him.

“That guy is so hopeless, just like me.” Hongjoong mumble then startle when I hug him. Because I realize that this could be the last moment I have with him.

 

---

 

The island is illuminated by glowing leaves. The noise of the Revenge crew soon dominates the peacefulness of Wonderland. Scatter in front of the cave’s entrance, they start singing, dancing, and drinking rum to celebrate even when they haven’t lifted the curse yet.

They’re waiting for the entire crew to reach the island via lifeboats which takes a while since Ateez lose some of their boats during storms.

As well as the ladies and a few crew members, they hang around a quiet area, away from the noisy gathering.

Sitting on a giant rock, the rose gold haired girl clenches her hands in her laps, looking rather anxious.

“What’s that?” Mingi asks, pointing at the bag that peek out from Aurora’s coat.

“Oh! Er...it's hardtacks that I store in case of an emergency.” She stammers, adjusting her coat. However, the heavy bag falls down to the ground.

“Can I have some? I'm kinda hungry?” Mingi reaches his hand to snatch the bag but Aurora shrinks loudly. “No!”

“Woah! Why are you so stingy?” Mingi pouts.

“Stop it, she said it’s for an emergency.” The boatswain beside him sighs like an old man. He grabs a bag from his pants and passes to the taller guy. “Here.”

“Jongho, you’re the best!” Mingi attempts to squeeze the younger guy but gets pushed away.

While Mingi munching on the hardtack, he notices a crestfallen look of his best friend.

“What’s wrong with her?” He nudges on the navigator’s arm. Because he stayed on the island while some of the scavenging members went back to the ship.

“I don’t know. She looked fine until I saw captain talking with her.” Yunho whispers. He eavesdropped from inside the bridge. Although he didn’t hear anything, he could assume that they were quarreling. “She cried.”

“What!” Mingi yells, glaring at Hongjoong standing in front of the cave.

“It could be about her leaving him.” Jongho, the brainer, is able to deduce the reason quickly .

Because of their loudness, Star turns to their group, squinting her eyes. “Do you guys know that your gossip is a little too loud?”

They give her sheepish smiles. Star sighs and loses in her thought again. Seeing her not paying attention anymore, the gossipers resume their activity.

“If captain hurts my friend, I’ll lead a mutiny.” Mingi sneers, “Who’s with me!?”

The others instantly look away.

“The stars are exceptionally beautiful today.” Yunho sighs in admiration, staring at the starless night sky.

“Aye, so beautiful.” Jongho agreed.

Mingi scowls at them and turns away to find a team member. He meets with the combatant dark gaze who stands a little far away from them.

“You can be my quartermaster.” Mingi shouts to San.

San smirks in return, “No.”

Suddenly, Star bolt to her feet, causing the guys to startle. Then they gasp in unison when Star hugs Aurora out of blue.

 

---

 

Listening to the guys’ gossip brought me back to my senses. I realized what’s the point of being in a foul mood when I’m about to leave very soon. I should start saying goodbye to them. I stand up, turning to the girl beside me.

She jolts in her seat when I hug her.

“I’m going to miss you, Aurora.”

“Star?” Her voice fills with confusion; nonetheless, she returns the hug.

“I’m sorry that your fate may change but there’re many paths that you can take.” I lower my voice, whispering. “Once the pirates break the curse, you’ll be free. They promise me to let you go.”

I can hear her breath hitch in .

“So stop worrying. Your beautiful face suits better with a bright smile.” I pull away and beam at her.

Aurora’s eyes brim with tears, “Thanks Star. And I’m also sorry for causing ruckus to you. I...” She seems to want to say something but Mingi interrupts her.

“What was that?” Mingi apparently flabbergasted by the circumstance.

I giggle and walk toward him. I end up hugging his waist because he’s way too tall. His body immediately stiffen upon the contact.

“Mingi, thank you for being my friend and standing up for me.” I rest my head on his chest, hearing his quicken heartbeat. I feel his strong arms secure around me.

“You really think of me as your best friend?” Mingi asks, surprised.

“Yes, you’re my best friend.” One of the best things that happened here is being Mingi’s best friend.

“O-oh, well, haha, woah, that is the first time that someone told me.” Mingi shyly giggles.

“Erm, captain is watching...” Someone clears his throat to warn us.

Mingi reluctantly let go, yet he smiles until his eyes disappear. “Let him be. Finally I got my friend back.” He intends to hug me again but Yunho stops him.

“I’m happy for you but I’m afraid that happiness won’t last long. You see how he glares at us.” Yunho shudders.

I ignore his warning and charge right up to hug Yunho. He gasps loudly, his arms hang in the air. Meanwhile Mingi protests from the side, but Jongho scolds him in grandpa tone.

“Yunho, You’re also my dear friend. Thank you for cheering me up when I was down. And thanks for giving me a beautiful nickname.”

He seems to overcome bashfulness as he hugs my shoulder. “You mean starfish?”

“Don’t call me that, puppy.”

“I won’t call you Polaris again if you call me puppy.” He huffs, pulling back. Oh how I wish to pinch his cheek right now.

“Fine, Mr. Yunho, the most handsome navigator in the entire seven seas.”

“Welp, I like that name.” He giggles, his face and neck turn red. He completely forgot that the scary captain is spying on us.

I laugh and turn to the next person, the boatswain. He shifts between two legs, not sure whether to run away and stay.

“Err...do you have to hug me too?” He looks elsewhere but me.

“Of course,” I engulf him tightly. “Jongho, thank you for accepting my weird side.” He chuckles upon hearing the sentence. “I’m glad that our path crossed too.”

“Why are you suddenly being emotional? You know I hate it.” Jongho’s voice muffled.

“Okay, no more emotional stuff. I hate it too.” I withdraw from the hug, seeing his scarlet face and pout lips make my noona’s heart goes weak. “Why are you so cute?”

“I’m not cute!” He shouts in my face, making me wince because of his powerful vocal.

“Sorry...” Jongho sheepishly apologized. “But why are you acting like you’re leaving now?” He recovers from embarrassment and his smart brain works immediately.

“Well, I’m leaving.”

My answer caused him to widen his eyes. Before he asks me more questions, I walk away to another member.

The combatant also eyed me since I stepped on the island. He didn’t have a chance to approach me as the others were crowding around me.

San quietly watches me saunter toward him. I can’t meet his eyes when I stop in front of him. Feelings clashing inside my chest, I'm unsure of what to say to him. There’re many things to thank him for because he’s saved me multiple times. I owe him my life.

As I’m trying to find the right word, he’s the one that pulls me into a hug.

“You’re leaving.” A raspy voice whispered into my ear.

“Yes.”

“Don’t.” San tightened his grip around me. His commanding tone has subtle anguish in it.

“I’m sorry. I owe you so much. You’re always there for me when I’m in danger. I don’t know how to return the gratitude to you. And all I do is hurting you.”

He quietly listened to me, burying his head to the crook of my neck.

“Thank you for everything that you did for me. You should know that I like you a lot. But please don’t dwell on me when I’m gone, I don’t deserve your love.”

“No, I’ll go with you.” His remark caused me to stop breathing. A strange emotion surged inside my chest.

“W..will you really?”

“Um.”

A corner of my lips tug upward. I have to press it into thin lines, forcing myself not to sound too happy. “Well, the world isn't ready for two San's hotness.”

My comment probably puzzles him greatly as he lifts up his head to stares at me questioningly.

Then there’s a shout coming from the master gunner. “Hey! You’re hugging my friend too long already. Let go of her right now, don’t make me use force-”

“Annoying...” San grits his teeth, turning his head toward Mingi to shut him up with death glare. Jongho holds Mingi back while furrows his brow, musing over my strange action. Whilst Yunho glances back and forth, probably at Hongjoong and us. And Aurora watches us in bewilderment.

“Can you let go? I have to talk to the others too.”

“No.” He smirks as if to challenge me.

“How long are you going to hug me?” When the hug turns too long, my cheeks begin to flare. Although I acted shamelessly by initiating the hug with Ateez, it was because I was scared that I would not be able to say goodbye to them individually. Luckily where San stands is far away from the crowd so we don’t attract attention.

“Hmm...” He hums in his throat, clearly refusing to let go.

“San. Please.” I beg him through my eyes. Lately, he acts mischievously by the influence of his playboy friend.

“Make me.” He tilts his head to the side, stretching his mouth wider. My heart skips a beat when he does that.

Accepting the challenge, I tickle his side. To my disappointment, the only reaction he has is snicker. Then he pokes my waist, making me yelp and legs wobble like jelly.

“Not fair!” I whine.

“Is that how you return the favor?” His mouth twists into a smug grin.

I swear this guy in front of me is possessed by Wooyoung. Where’s the quiet mysterious San?

“Fine!” I contemplate whether to do it or not, but since this will be my last opportunity seeing him, I should be as shameless as I can.

Making up my mind, I tiptoe and press my lips on his cheek. His grip loosen from surprise and I’m able to free myself. San’s eyes are wide, touching his cheek. I became speechless due to my thoughtless move. I cover my face with my hands and run away.

“Yahh! Why did you get a kiss and I don’t?!” Mingi protests.

“Should've silent you when I have a chance.” San hisses like a snake.

I hear them bickering behind my back. I must be crazy for doing that.

While I ran away from the scene, my gaze caught Yeosang from afar. He takes care of a patient that has trouble walking due to the accident. However, someone gets in my way. I stop myself before colliding with the cocky first mate.

“I gotta say you’re really bold, little Star.” The real expert of smugness, Wooyoung extends his arms. “Will I get that exclusive hug too?”

I roll my eyes but hug him anyway. He lets out a surprised yelp once I hug him.

“Why are you suddenly hugging my crew? Do you know that captain has smoke coming out of his ears?”

“To say goodbye.”

“G-goodbye?” His chirpy voice immediately falters. “You still have time right? Why do you have to say goodbye here?”

“Well, I feel like it now.” Telling Ateez that I’ll leave at Wonderland will only freak them out. They’ll think that I’m some kind of sea monster. “Believe it or not, I really enjoyed your company. You’re a good listener and adviser. Thank you for listening to my blabbering.”

He stay quiet for a moment and speaks up. “Thank you for leading us to Wonderland. You’re...I...” He pauses, “Remember when I ask you to stay. It was my selfishness to say that. Please forget it.”

I shake my head. “I was actually happy that you wanted me to stay.”

Wooyoung pulls away, “But you’re still leaving.”

“Um, yea.”

Wooyoung sighs. “I know it’d turn out like this. I kinda feel guilty that I encouraged my friend to court you. Poor mate. Will he be able to fall in love again?”

I turn to be the one that falters. San’s expression when I kissed him will forever haunt me in my sleep.

“Don’t worry. He’s a tough guy. I’ll introduce him to a prettier girl to him.” Wooyoung pats on my shoulder. I narrow my eyes at him.

“Is that jealousy I see?”

“No!” I yell because he said prettier girl not because I’m jealous.

“Sure sure. I believe you so stop glaring at me.” Then he sticks his cheek toward me. I raise my brow, seeing him acts strange all of the sudden.

“Am I not getting a sweet kiss too?” His smugness returned too fast for my liking.

When I busily roll my eyes, he leans forward and pecks on my cheek.

My jaw hangs open, blood rushing to my face.

He gives me a flirtatious smirk, “I wanted to kiss somewhere else but those guys would die out of jealousy.”

Wooyoung looks over my shoulder and curses, “Ah , the devil is after me.” He instantly sprinted away from my sight. From the corner of my eyes, San is chasing after him.

Oh well, he brought that upon himself.

 

“Star?”

A gentle voice calls me from behind. I turn around and see Yeosang striding toward me. He has a complicated expression, telling me that he definitely witnessed Wooyoung kissing me.

“Yeosang, may I talk to you?” I cut him off before he asked me a question.

Yeosang nods, slightly confused.

I lead him a little further in the woods to make sure that no one can eavesdrop our conversation. Unlike the others, I have an important matter talking to him.

“I have something to request from you.”

“What is it?”

“First, please take care of Aurora. Please ensure that she’s safe after I leave.” Although I trust Hongjoong and Seonghwa, I can’t help but worry about Aurora’s well being.

Yeosang knits his eyebrows. “After you left...?”

“Um, yes. And whatever happens in the cave, if I perhaps fall unconscious and wake up to have no memory of being Star, please don’t panic and send her- me home.” I forgot that when I leave this realm what will happen to this body. If Alice returns, she’d have a heart attack, finding herself among pirates.

“Star, I don’t catch you.” Yeosang stepped closer to me, apparently perplexed by my request.

“And if I stop breathing, send my body back to my family.”

Yeosang grabs my shoulder in a sheer panic. “What do you mean by that? Are you going to die?”

I scratch my head. “No, I don’t die. It’s just that...I have a secret to tell you. Promise me that you won’t tell anyone.”

Yeosang reluctantly nods.

I whisper into Yeosang’s ear.

He took a moment to process the information. Then his eyes became wide. “H-how?”

“I know it sounds impossible but please believe me and keep it a secret.” I chose him instead of the others because he's the most reliable one. 

He nods stiffly like a robot. “So that’s why you have to leave.”

“Yes.” I embrace him. “My last request is that please take care of yourself and the crew.”

Yeosang hugs me back, patting my back. “Don’t worry about them. I’ll make sure to feed them my medicine everyday.”

I chuckle although tears begin to gather in my eyes. “I’m going to miss you so much. Thank you for taking care of me, my angel.”

Yeosang rests his head against mine. “I should be the one that calls you angel. You’re strong, optimistic, and kind. Thank you for accepting me, a sinner, as your friend.”

“That’s not true. You’re the most kind hearted person I’ve ever met. Even when I hurt your feelings, you’re still kind to me.”

Yeosang remained quiet for a short moment and said. “I told you that we can’t control our feelings. However, I don’t regret liking you at all.”

“See, you’re too nice.”

“There were also times that I want you all by myself.”

“Huh?” I instantly back away. Don’t tell me he’s also possessed by the devil.

“Just kidding. I’m not like those guys.”

“Your joke has improved a lot that I start to be scared. Promise me you won’t be like them.”

Yeosang chuckles heartily before pulling away and staring deeply into my eyes. “Good luck Star. I’m glad that you came into my boring life.”

“If your life is boring then mine is non-existing.” Even with our eyes burn red, we laugh together for the last time.

 

 

When we walk outside of the woods, the crew numbers are increasing. It won’t be too long until we take off inside the cave. I have 2 more members to say goodbye.

One of them heads toward me, so I stop in my tracks.

“Miss nuisance, ah- apologies, miss Star, since you successfully guided us to Wonderland, you’ll be rewarded greatly. Just name the price. However, you’re not allowed to take any of our crew as the reward.”

I laugh upon hearing the last remark. He sure has a unique way of thinking. His complexion darkened slightly when I didn't answer him.

“And you’re offered to work on the Revenge if you are interested.”

Wow! The heartless quartermaster asked me to work on the ship. What a sudden turn of events.

“I thought you couldn’t wait to get rid of me.”

He scoffs but properly answers me. “With your ability, you’ll be a great help to us. We can discuss your contract later when returning to the ship.”

“I’ll have to reject.”

He squinted his eyes due to my rapid response.

“And for the reward...” I hug him for a millisecond before pulling back, afraid that he’ll chop off my limbs. “Even if you hate my gut, I’m glad to meet you.”

His mouth agape, renders speechless.

I inwardly giggle and leave the stoic guy alone in utter shock.

 

Then I advance toward my last target. Hongjoong crosses his arms, leaning against the cave entrance. He has been eyeing me since I started hugging Aurora.

The look in his eyes telling me that he's ready to unleash an angry storm on me.

“Betraying captain has consequences, are you aware of that?” The sly grin, the velvet tone, the dangerous gaze, those are the summary of the cause of my death.

“When did I betray you?” I feign innocent.

“Hugging and kissing my crew, your punishment will be severe. And as for my crew, Wonderland would be their burial ground.”

I shudder at his threat. I believe he won’t slaughter his crew but me—will I survive before returning home? “Okay, no more joking. I was just saying goodbye to them.”

He scoffs, “Goodbye you say, does that have to involve-”

His sentences cut short when I pull him further into the cave, away from people. The cave walls are magically illuminated the path. I walk until we are hidden from the outside world.

Turning to him, I don’t wait for his admonishment. I cup his face, connecting my lips to his.

I kiss him for a brief second and pull back. My face grows incredibly hot. Hongjoong blinks several times to process what happened a moment ago.

“A goodbye kiss that I owe you.” I turn on my heels as I’m too bashful to face him. However, my wrist is caught by Hongjoong. He pulls me into his embrace.

“Take it back. There’s no goodbye for us.” His eyes gleam with light from the cave. Then he kisses me.

His kiss is full of raw emotions; love, desperation, pain. I can feel it all. I kiss him back with the same feelings. This is our last kiss. Tears that I force to hold back begin flowing down my cheeks. I’ll have to wake up from this dream and forget him.

He pulled away when he noticed my sniffing noise. 

“We’ll talk about us later.” He wipes my tears with his thumbs. Then he gently kisses my forehead.

But Hongjoong, I’m afraid that there is no later for us.

 

---

 

It took less than 10 minutes to reach the giant cave hall. The area is large enough for a hundred of crew to stand loosely. A pitch black pool before us stretches far and disappears into the darkness of the cave. Strangely, once we entered the cave, the illuminating light dimmed automatically. Too bad none of the crew carry any torches inside. Luckily the ceiling is open, allowing soft crescent moonlight to pour into the hall.

The air turns unusually chilly. I adjust my coat to warm myself. From my memory, the cave has to give off a magical aura. But why does it feel like a haunted house?

“What’s next?” Wooyoung asks me. Apparently he survived San’s attack.

I look around the stagnant pool and spot a stone inscription in front. The words are in ancient language. The only person that can read it is no other than the female lead.

“Aurora, can you help me read it?” I tug on Aurora’s sleeves as she loses in her trance. She nods and saunters toward it.

“T-they have to drop their blood into the pool. And once the moon turns blood red, their wish will be granted.”

She spoke so quiet that Mingi had to repeat it with his booming voice.

“Huh, that’s easy.” Wooyoung says. The others also nod in agreement.

Hongjoong furrows his brow. “You sure that’s the way to lift the curse?”

Aurora stiffly nods. Then he turns to me for confirmation which honestly, I don't know.

This part when Y/N has to read the instructions, Chris barrages them. It’s the last chapter that I read. Seeing that Chris doesn't pop out of nowhere, I’m relieved that this time Ateez will succeed.

“Follow her instruction.” I told them.

Hongjoong nods then turns to Seonghwa for him to carry out order.

After that the pirates gather near the pool, cutting their hands to drop their blood into the water.

I watch from the side and feel lightheaded. “If I want to make a wish then I have to cut my palm too...” I clutch my hands in front of my chest.

“You can use my needle.” Yeosang offers me his medical needle.

“Oh you're a genius.” Right, a needle will work just fine although I also hate needles. Nonetheless, it's better than a rusty dagger.

“Nooo!” Aurora screams, gripping my arm.

Both Yeosang and I startled at her outburst.

“You don't have to drop blood into the water. It requires only those who break the curse.” Aurora explains with wide eyes.

“That’s a relief.” I pat my chest. “So I can go ahead and make a wish?”

Aurora knits her brows then nods.

 

Once the crew finishes with the blood ritual, we wait in anticipation, staring at the moon. It slowly turns red from the bottom.

My heart tightens in my chest. I’m leaving this realm soon. I should feel happy right? But tears stream down my face again.

I avert my gaze to look at Ateez for one last time. I’m going to miss all of you.

When the moon is completely dyed in blood red, I slowly close my eyes. Wishing to go back to my real world.

My surroundings seem to disappear from my senses. After a while I re-open my eyes, and my jaw hit the ground.

 

What the heck is going on!?

 

☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・☆*:・

 

So do you want Star to stay or go back to real world?