Chapter 42 - Fight

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

“What the hell is going on?!” Seonghwa's raging shout startles the crowd. He glares at them for an answer but no one meets his eyes, they lower their heads to avoid his wrath.

Seonghwa grits his teeth, whipping his head away from the useless crew to see the master gunner and the combatant fight in the middle of the crowd. Mingi is apparently the one that is furious with San as he keeps throwing punches and kicks where San mostly dodge the blows. Still wounds appear on Mingi's red face whilst San receives no injury.

Although a fight between the crew is inevitable since the ship is filled with bandits from all over the places, Seonghwa didn’t expect to see his 2 best men fight each other. San and Mingi clash from time to time due to their opposite personalities but they never get into physical fights.

“Stop right now!!” Deep scowl plaster on Seonghwa's face, vein visible on his neck. However, Mingi and San are still at each other's throats.

Seonghwa takes big strides, he intercepts San’s incoming fist and kicks Mingi in the chest separating the two. Mingi stumbles a few steps backward but charges right back at San. However, several gunner mates lock him in place.

“Let go of me!!” Mingi's thunderous voice booms, trying to wiggle from his mates' grasp.

“ing cut it out!!” Seonghwa’s glare darts between them. “What the hell is wrong with you two?!”

San twists his hand out of Seonghwa’s iron grip. His crazed eyes glue at Mingi who also return him with death glares.

“This er harassed Star!” Mingi shout fills with burning rage. The crowd gasps in unison. Seonghwa's face retort upon hearing the sentence. Mingi is the type to be over exaggerated but he’d never lied. He’s protective over his crewmates and for him to be angry to this extent, does that mean San really harassed Star? Lately San has acted weirdly around the girl but he doesn’t expect it would come to this extent.

Seonghwa looks at Star who’s standing not far away from them. Her pale face scrunches up in pain as she clutches her stomach. At a mere sight of her can irritate him regardless. He scoffs and turns back to San. A hint of smirk plays on San’s lips, he appears nonchalant as if the topic isn’t about him.

The look of San adds fire to Mingi's fury as he darts out of the interception, flying toward San like a loose cannon ball.

“Mingi, stop!” Star yells, running up toward him. Mingi halts his action, his fist stops mid air. Star tugs on his arm with her worry-filled eyes.

“It’s a misunderstanding. San didn’t do anything to me. He..uh,” Star bites on her lip, hesitating to say the next sentence. “He just came to me to apply medicine for him.”

Seonghwa and Mingi notice that San is shirtless and his back paints with sticky green ointment.

“But why was he all over you?!” The explanation didn’t cool down Mingi’s rage. What he saw earlier wasn’t just a simple bruise treating.

Star’s mouth wide open and flushing. “H..He just tried to apply ointment on my bruise.” Her stutter makes the situation worse. The others already imagined stuff they shouldn’t.

Mingi still doesn’t buy her excuse as he stabs San with his murderous glare. While Seonghwa registers the information and inwardly sighs. San has little to none contact with women. Star is the only girl he ever shows interest. But what kind of interest he possessed, Seonghwa didn’t know anymore.

“San, Star is a lady. It’s improper to barge inside her tent and touch her without permission. She isn’t one of our thug mates.” Seonghwa says, thinking having women on the ship is indeed troublesome.

San’s smirk falters and transforms into frown. He gazes at Star with a complicated expression and turns away, back to blank state.

Seonghwa clicks his tongue and observes San. What’s in this guy's head? Even though San rarely shows emotions, his action is simple. Because all he does is kill, kill and kill. Among the entire crew, Seonghwa trusts San the most because he always follows the orders but perhaps it was his fault to order San to watch over the girl.

“You two go wait for me at the quarter tent. I’ll deal with you guys later.” Seonghwa orders, feeling irksome. If Hongjoong knows, he’d be beyond pissed.

San whirls on his heel, walking toward the designate tent. Mingi casts a glance on Star but he doesn’t dare loiter as Seonghwa shoots dagger at him. His head hangs low and walks away.

“Go back to work!” Seonghwa shouts to the crowd and they scatter immediately.

“And you” He turns to look at the nuisance girl, “We need to talk.”

 

---

 

Seonghwa folds his arms, sending a piercing glare my way. We stand far away from the camping ground, void of people, which means that if he murdered me here, no one would notice.

“I want to hear from your side first before punishing them.” He speaks, his tone dripping with disdain.

“Please don’t punish them. They just misunderstood.” I panic. The wounds on Mingi’s face make my heart ache already. I can’t believe he would be so furious and started to ravage San because he misunderstood that San did that to me. My stomach flips at an intense shame. If I could transfer my embarrassment into money, I’d be filthy rich.

Seonghwa scoffs. “They broke our code. It’s not your place to speak for them.”

“But-” His dark eyes scold me to shut up. I feel myself getting smaller under his strong gaze.

“So what really happened?” He asks.

I explained every detail to him. But instead of relieving, his expression turns darker.

“Those idiots.” He mutters. Then his eyes snap at me. “You need to receive punishment too.”

“Eh? Why?” I stare at him dumbfoundedly. “I didn’t do anything. I was resting in my tent.”

I thought he would snicker at my excuse, however, he answers me with a flat tone “You’re the problem.”

My mouth forms into an O. Why is he always being irrational with me?

“You’re grounded. Don’t leave your tent until we leave the island.”

“But I didn’t do anything.” I protest. He can’t rip my freedom away from me.

“You did.” Seonghwa stares into my eyes. His seriousness leaves a pang in my chest.

I look down to the ground, feeling unfair. “Why do you hate me so much?” It’s a rhetorical question. I don’t intend to hear an answer from him as I already know his character, he’s the type to be icy cold toward people. The only woman who receives Seonghwa’s kindness is ‘Y/N’ in the book. Now I’m really jealous of her.

He remains quiet for a moment and speaks up. “From now on, you should stay away from my crew.”

Although his tone is softer, the message's meaning makes my whole body turn cold. My head darts upward in shock.

“It’s for your safety.” His voice is covered by the sound of crashing waves against the shore. It’s almost inaudible but I hear it clearly.

“Why?” I ask, unable to interpret his point.

“Do you understand?” He doesn’t answer me but persists in his order, wearing a poker face.

Before I reply to him, my stomach growls. I press my hands on my stomach but it’s too late. Seonghwa snorts and looks at me pathetically. He walks past me, leaving me burn in the fire of mortification.

 

---

 

I’m back in my tent, bored to death. I lie down in a familiar afternoon heat. There’re a lot to take in today; San and Mingi’s fight and Seonghwa’s unfair punishment. The real reason Seonghwa ordered me to stay away from his crew is not because of my safety but his crew safety. He probably caught me gawking at them before.

My hand touches a fabric. I pick it up and see San’s black shirt so I throw it away in frustration. Was it because I poked his wound so he took revenge on me. He’s such a strange character that I can’t pinpoint his underlying reason.

“Miss Star,” I hear a call from outside. Who is it this time? I hope that person won’t bring me another unfortunate event.

“Your food is here.” My ears prick up from the word food and I bolt up instantly. I part the tent cloth and see Jack holding a food tray. My eyes lit up at the sight. I haven’t eaten anything today.

“Thanks Jack. You’re the best. How did you know that I’m hungry?” I grab the tray from him.

“...” Jack didn’t answer because he was told to bring her food.

I start devouring the food on the plate. Jack gets up to leave but I stop him.

“Hey Jack, do you know what punishment did Mingi and San receive?”

“Quartermaster ordered them to chop wood to carve the Seakeeper. Her head was damaged by the Kraken.”

I nod, relieving that it's a light punishment.

“But they have to work the whole night and not allow to eat until tomorrow.” Jack continues.

“That's cruel!” I exclaimed. They're gonna get sick if they have to work without food in their stomachs.

“Nope, this is the lightest punishment. Last time 2 men fought. He ordered them to fight each other until one side dies.” Jack says nonchalantly.

I gasp at how cruel Seonghwa could be. Then the fact that I survive from his grasp is a blessing for me.

“Well, Jack, can you help me? Can you bring me to Mingi and San?”

Jack makes a horrified face at my request and shakes his head vigorously.

“C’mon, I’ll tell Aurora that you help me.” I convince him.

Jack seems hesitant at a mention of his angel.

“You know that Aurora likes a man with goodness in his heart.”

Jack scratches his flushing cheeks, “Fine, but you have to tell Miss Aurora that I’ll grow up into the most handsome man in this ship.”

My face twists. This boy will grow up and become the second Wooyoung.

 

 

After I finished eating, Jack led me into the woods.

“Follow the path. You’ll find them.” He says, pointing at the trail and sprinting away immediately.

“Thanks Jack.” I thank him but he already disappeared from my sight.

I stride inside the forest with not so much confidence, hand clutching on a small bag that I sneak 2 hardtacks for the guys to eat.

Walking for a moment, I reach a clearing where tree stumps are present and 2 people stand in the middle of the area.

However, my jaw drops when I see them pointing weapons at each other. San has his dagger at Mingi's throat while Mingi points a pistol against San’s forehead.

“Guys! Don’t!” I scream and run toward them. Mingi startles and look at me, oppositely, San doesn't even spare a glance at me.

“Star, don’t come near us. You might get hurt.” Mingi says in a serious tone.

“Then don’t fight. Put down your weapons.” I stand a few steps away from them.

“No! I’ll have to blow this er’s head.” Mingi glares menacingly at San. Whilst San gives him a daring smirk.

“Mingi, please. You misunderstood. He didn’t hurt me.” I thought he understood the situation already, but it turns out he still wants to fight.

“But he trespassed into your tent.” Mingi’s brows furrow. He just hates seeing San hovers above her. It irritates him to death.

“But you did that too.” My remark makes him stun.

“It’s different. I...I thought you faint.” He stutters.

I sigh at his stubbornness. “Please guys, It’s not worth fighting for a petty reason when there’s really nothing.”

They remain in the same position. No one seems to lower their guard.

I scream in frustration. “If you guys don’t stop, then I’m gonna...” I’m gonna to do what. I think of a way to threaten them.

 

“I’m gonna kiss her.” A new voice chimes in. An arm drapes over my shoulder and brings me closer to him. “I’m gonna kiss little Star.”

I crane my neck to see a playful Wooyoung. His present makes the situation worse. 

“What the heck?” I ask him but he turns to wink at me.

“Purple head, don’t you dare!” Mingi shouts, fuming. His eyes shift between San and Wooyoung.

“You know me mate. I love challenges.” Wooyoung chuckles. I pinch his waist to stop him from joking. But he uses another hand, swatting my hand away and glares at me.

“I’ll count 3 to 1. If you guys don’t stop, I’ll kiss her.” He turns to Mingi and San.

San looks emotionless as ever, on the other hand, Mingi panic but he doesn’t lower his pistol.

“3” Wooyoung starts counting, his hands cup my cheeks. I look at him with wide eyes.

 

“2” He leans his face closer. I try to move my head away but his grip only becomes stronger. So I kick his legs but he stomps on my feet.

 

“1” He chuckles at my attempt and makes kissy lips and…

 

 

Bang!!

Wooyoung ducks down to the ground as a bullet and dagger fly across his head.

“Woah mates! I was just kidding!” Wooyoung's face turns pale and lets out a dry chuckle.

Mingi takes a large stride and grabs Wooyoung's collar. “You er.” he growls. but Wooyoung returns him with a taunting smirk. “Star, see, my plan worked.” He wiggles his brow at me.

I grimace. His plan as now he became Mingi’s new target.

“Mingi, let him go.” I try to pry Mingi’s hands from Wooyoung whose face starts to turn green from losing air.

“Wooyoung, you can play with any woman but not Star!” Mingi tightens his grip.

“I got it, I got it. She’s your best friend.” Wooyoung says, grabbing on Mingi’s hands that choking him but he still has time to wiggle an eyebrow at me.

“Mingi, maybe he needs one or two punches to knock some sense into him.” I say deadpannedly.

“Yah! I helped you. This is how you repay me?” Wooyoung protests.

“Well, Star. That's a good idea.” Mingi laughs.

“Ha! You dare? Don’t forget San is on my side. Right Sannie?” Wooyoung calls for backup. However, San watches the scene uninterestedly. He walks toward our group to retrieve his dagger. He turns around to leave the noisy place but his ears prick up on several footsteps.

Shadowy figures emerges from the tree line, at the front is a man with a sly grin

“You guys seem to have fun. Can I join?” A newcomer’s voice interrupts us.

When I see who it is, goosebumps rise on my back. Mingi quickly lets go of Wooyoung and their faces lose color.

Hongjoong flashes us a wide grin but it doesn’t reach his eyes, instead they fill with a wrath storm ready to unleash. Seonghwa walking at the back with an equally dark expression.

They cast their eyes on us, one by one. San stands frozen in a spot. The devil seems to be tamed when facing the real devil duo. Wooyoung averts his eyes everywhere but at them. And Mingi, who aims for the captain position, loses his cool as he tries to hide behind Wooyoung.

Then the duo’s glares stop at me. I swallow nervously, looking left and right but I think no one here is able to save me from them.

We are so dead.

 

 

🌴 Damn author,  she left us a cliffhanger again. ( ╯ ̄皿 ̄)╯ ┻━━┻