Chapter 66 - Shot

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

[Trigger warning: Violent, blood, gore]

 

“Why didn’t you see Star off?”

The surgeon leans against the long table where the purple haired first mate bore his eyes into a pile of maps spreading all over the table.

“I’m busy.” Wooyoung replied brusquely without sparing his friend a glance.

Yeosang rolls his eyes upon hearing the lame excuse. After Starry left with his stubborn sister, Jongho separated way to continue his work while Yeosang stomped toward the captain’s quarter where Wooyoung had been hiding since this morning. Although it’s true that Wooyoung is busy because of the workload from captain, he could have spared a moment to see the girl off.

Thus the real answer is Yeojin.

“I thought we were clear yesterday. Did my long rant never enter your brain at all? We misunderstood her. But I know her reason didn’t justify her action so we were all at fault here.” Yeosang pauses as guilt pierce through him like thousand needles stab into his heart. He’s such a terrible brother. He failed to look after his younger sister. He was being stupid for believing that by joining the strongest pirate band would ensure their safety in this sinful city. But the result was the opposite.

“You agreed to talk it out with her, yet, look at you. Hiding from your problem like a coward.” Yeosang continued. His sharp tone sounds bitter than his masterpiece medicine, green terror.

Wooyoung’s hands curl into fist, he tears his gaze from the maps to glare at Yeosang. “I never agreed to anything. She has nothing to do with me since the day she left us. So don’t ever mention her in front of me again.” After he sneers at his friend, he reaches to grab a half empty wine bottle that belongs to the tiny captain. But Yeosang grabs his wrist before he’s able to drink it.

“She’s our family.” Yeosang tries his best to subdue emotions that range from the pit of his stomach.

“Yours not mine” Wooyoung retorts and snatches his arm back to his side.

“You promised mom that you’d protect her, protect our family!” Because of Wooyoung’s remark, the surgeon unconsciously brought Mom’s final word into the argument. And he regrets it immediately.

Wooyoung is taken aback, his face instantly twists in anger. “Don’t bring mom into our conversation!” He snaps back. Hard grip squeeze at the bottle as if he’d crush it with bear hand.

Yeosang falters and looks away, ashamed of his behavior. Yeosang knows better not to tap on Wooyoung’s sensitive spot because the guy looked up to his parents like his own. Their death was a great blow to them, especially Wooyoung who lost his parents twice. His real parents were pirates and killed by the Royal Navy and his foster father also died by the hand of them. Hence Wooyoung joined Revenge crew to avenge their murders without telling Yeojin the truth.

“I won’t break my promise. I vowed to protect you and her with my life.” Wooyoung’s voice lowers into a whisper. He’s surprisingly the first one to yield. “Give me time Yeosang, I can’t face her right now.”

Yeosang nods. He’s familiar with Wooyoung’s temperament. He’s easy to provoke and take a long time to recover from anger. Hopefully he’ll be able to forgive Yeojin and himself soon.

Both of them quietly peer at each other from the corner of their eyes, hesitate to utter the word sorry.

The moment of silence disappears when the door slam opens, Mingi bursts inside the room with heavy panting. “Where’s my Shooting Star? Don’t tell me she’s gone! Ah hell! I was too late!” He curses and kicks the door shut. “Why did captain have to order me to do this and that when Star is leaving? He always gives me that spooky look whenever I hang out with her. For ’s sake, she doesn’t belong to him anyway!”

The two occupants turn to glare at the master gunner who interrupts their conversation.

Oblivious by the intense atmosphere, Mingi strides toward them and seizes the wine bottle in Wooyoung’s hand and drains the content. Then he turns to speak to his mates. “What are you two doing?”

Wooyoung and Yeosang snicker as an answer, causing the poor red haired guy to scrunch his face in irritation.

Before Mingi’s able to whine for a second time, the door opens, revealing a dark aura combatant. San scans around the room, once he doesn’t see the target, he whirls around to leave.

“Wait! Where’re you going?! Are you going to Yeosang’s annoying sister house to see Shooting Star? Then I’m coming with you.” Mingi shouts after San, he slams the bottle on the table and sprints after the guy.

However, another figure barges inside the room before two of them leave.

“Where’s captain!?” Erik shouts, pushing past San and Mingi who aren’t shy to give him death glare.

“At the governor’s manor.” Yeosang answers, slightly surprised at the sudden appearance of the captain of the Reprisal.

“What business does he have there?” Anxiety written across Erik’s complexion which is strange because Erik is the type of person who always keeps his composure in every dreadful situation.

“For an urgent meeting. Aren’t you supposed to be there too?” Wooyoung frowns.

“What meeting!? No one from the manor came to pass me a message. And I don’t think the other captains were invited either, I still saw them on my way here.”

Alarmed by the news, the guys exchange quick glances. Something is off.

“But it could be their personal discussion.” Although Erik wants to be optimistic, he begins pacing back and forth.

“And what business do you have with captain?” Wooyoung asks in an unfriendly tone. To see his nemesis two days in a row is a bad omen indeed.

Erik brushes off the hostility and answers honestly. “Captain told me to watch over the town for suspicious activities. And this evening my crew spotted Captain Billy’s and Arrow’s men scattered around the town and some are lurking near our fellow ships. They don’t look like they’re preparing for the war tonight.” His face darken as he says the last sentence, “My hunch tells me that they’re planning something.”

Ateez let the information sink in and they drew their breath sharply.

“! Just like captain said, they really planned to betray us!” Yelling angrily, Mingi stomps his feet to the floor.

“That means captain, Seonghwa and Yunho are in danger.” Yeosang deduces, scanning his crews’ faces that plaster with anger.

“It could be.” Erik grits his teeth. “Then we must act quickly before they carry out their plan.”

They all nod.

“Yeah, let’s blow those ers’ heads!” Mingi roars and twirls around to exit the room, but San stops the hasty man.

“Mingi, we gotta have a plan.” Erik warns.

Yeosang nods in agreement and turns toward Wooyoung. “You’re now in charge, what do we do next?”

The invisible pressure weighs on the shoulders of the first mate. Wooyoung knits his eyebrows and looks at each of his mates. Yeosang gives him a tense smile to encourage him. In the contrary, Erik looks at him with a doubtful look that he wants to rip the guy's face off. San calmly stands still but he knows better that his best mate is thrilling to massacre the traitors. While Mingi pulls out pistols with both hands, shifting between his legs as if he can’t wait to run outside and start a war.

Suddenly, a series of gunshots sound reach their ears and are followed by people screaming right outside the ship.

 

---

 

The tense atmosphere in a meeting room is so thick that it’s almost visible to the eyes. A long table was removed from the room and fill with a group of tough men, armed with guns and cutlass, circle around three guys in the middle of the room. Two out of three guys point their pistols, returning the hostility.

No one dares to blink nor breathe too loud. Sweat rolling down their faces although the sun has disappeared from the skyline and the air has become cooler.

Only one person appears too relaxed in the deadly circumstances, he peers at two figures that stand slightly forward from the group who are apparently their leaders.

“It took you lot long enough to make the first move. I thought I’m going to war for real.” Hongjoong greets the governor and captain Billy with his best sly grin.

Their eyes wide open in alarm. The older man with more experience resumes his calm composure in less than a second; however, the younger man beside him contorts his face in skepticism. “No way you could predict our move. You’re just bluffing like you always do, but you failed right into our trap.”

Hongjoong chuckles. “Right. I did fail into your trap. So what’s next?”

Captain Billy grits his teeth as rage starts to consume his mind. He hates it so much when Hongjoong is being arrogant and looks down on others. He has been waiting for a long time to get rid of this man and the time has come when the Royal Navy handed him the offer. “When the Royal Navy reaches Nassau, it’s your time to die. Your body will be hung in front of the town for everyone to witness until your flesh rotten and your bones decay. While us,” He smirks, “We’ll receive pardon and a ton of reward. And the whole town will celebrate your death.”

Hongjoong only raises his brow after hearing the answer. However, Seonghwa and Yunho clench their grip on the pistols until their knuckles turn white.

“Governor, you think by sending us to the Royal Navy they’ll give you a full pardon after all of your crimes?” Yunho asks calmly but his ocean blue eyes are filled with raging storms.

The governor’s mouth curves upward into a cynical smile. “All my crimes will be wiped clean once the pirate king is executed. I know my action upset your crew but I’m doing this for Nassau people; to avoid the war and save lives.”

“Bull! Don’t act like you’re suddenly enlightened. Your moral never existed.” Seonghwa sneers, changing his pistol direction toward the governor. “Remember who helped you sit comfortably in your seat for these past years. If you decide to betray us then prepare to receive our sincere vengeance. You should know better of what happened to those traitors, not a single one of them had their peaceful death.”

The way the heartless quartermaster emphasizes peaceful death causes the governor’s smile to fade from his face and is replaced by an ugly expression. He refuses to meet eyes with the trio.

Billy watches the old man's reaction and scoffs. “Your threat is so empty, quartermaster Seonghwa. You guys are surrounded by my crew. What can you do? Begging us for mercy?” Billy laughs at his own joke. “Besides, your whole crew were cursed into sea monsters. You won’t survive anyway.”

As if struck by lightning, three men tense up. Seonghwa and Yunho worriedly glance at their captain whose grin is freezing on his face.

Billy hollers in laughter after witnessing how color is lost from Ateez’s arrogant faces. “Captain Hongjoong, I know all of your secrets. You lost Wonderland map to the sea witch. You never possess power to begin with. Instead, you were cursed into sea monsters. Surprisingly, you came back with a lover. What’s her name again? Sun? Sky...” He strides toward Hongjoong and stops a step away. Even though the pirate king’s able to hide his real emotion with a grin, his hazel eyes are burning with fury.

“It’s Star.”

Silence follows after the name drops from Billy’s mouth. Yet Hongjoong remain still so as the two men between him.

Billy thought he’d see a violent reaction from Hongjoong, nevertheless, the man casually glares at him. Billy inwardly curses in his mind. That guy is supposed to get on his knees and beg him for mercy.

“How does it feel to be scared?” Nonetheless, Billy believes that under the mask, Hongjoong must be scared for his lover’s safety and he’ll use it against him. “But don’t worry. She’s under Arrow’s protection. You know how he is with beautiful women. I hope she’ll be able to see you again tomorrow at your execution.”

Hongjoong lets out a scoff and suddenly lunges toward Billy. It’s too fast for Billy’s men to react as Hongjoong’s fist slam into their captain’s jaw. The sound of the bone cracking echo in the silent room. Billy is thrown into the ground by the powerful punch, he groans and grabs his twisted jaw in great pain. Before Hongjoong’s able to kick the man in the gut, a group of men rush forward and grab hold of him, Seonghwa and Yunho join the fight to rescue their feisty captain but because their numbers are smaller, they are held down to the floor in the next minute.

“You !” Billy gets up and spat blood into the ground. He glares at Hongjoong whom being held by his men. “I’ma kill you now. I’ll cut your head off and give it to the officer.” Billy pulls out a pistol and aims toward Hongjoong.

“NO!!/Get away from him.” Seonghwa and Yunho yells furiously from the ground, trying to break free but they’re being pressed harder to the floor.

Because of their desperate shout, it incites Billy’s madness as he signals his men to hold both arms and legs of Hongjoong, locking him in place. Hongjoong grunts yet no fear presents in his eyes.

“No, Billy, we must turn him in alive!” The governor interferes. He doesn't like how things are heading. This insane pirate’s going to ruin his plan.

“Shut up old man.” Billy scowls. He jerks his chin for another crew to point the pistol toward the governor to shut the old man up. The governor instantly pales and looks at Billy in disbelief.

Then the mad captain turns his attention back to Hongjoong.

“Your reign ends today with my own hand. Farewell.” After his speech, he pulls the trigger.

The bullet plugs into Hongjoong’s heart, making his body jerks and goes limb. Billy’s men let go of his body and he plummets into the ground with a heavy thud.

“Captain/Hongjoong!!” Yunho and Seonghwa yell on top of their lungs. Yunho’s face falls apart like his world crumbles in front of his eyes. Tears flush out uncontrollably as he continues cursing at Billy. Whilst Seonghwa’s bloodshot eyes fixates on his captain's motionless body. His senses numb by the cold harsh reality. It’s the first time in his life that fear penetrates into the bottom of his heart. Although he wholeheartedly knows they’re just a mere human, Hongjoong is different. He’s a guy full of miracles. Since the first time he met Hongjoong, that guy always made impossible things possible.

Seonghwa opens his mouth but no sound comes out. Instead, a single tear drops from his sharp eye. He refused to believe that his first friend is dead.

A cynical laughter breaks Seonghwa out of his trance. “So easy.” Billy laughs at Hongjoong’s body on the ground. He crouches down and uses his pistol to poke at the dead man’s head. “The mighty pirate king died so pathetically with my own hand.”

Billy gets up and turns to the two revenge crew on the ground. “How about you two beg me, I’ll consider letting you alive.”

“Over my dead body.” Seonghwa seethes, hoarse voice dripping with venom.

“Good, then prepare to follow your captain to hell.” Billy lifts his gun and aims at Seonghwa’s head; however, all of his crew grasp in unison. They fearfully look behind his back as if seeing a ghost.

Before Billy’s able to turn around, he’s hit by a force that knocks him to the ground and his vision turns white. Although his mind rings with panic, he quickly rolls over to get up but a foot stomps over his chest, forcing air out of his lungs. He coughs painfully and looks up to see a man that was supposed to rot in hell, hovering above him. A familiar sly grin makes him fear for his life.

The governor drops to the ground and stares at the figure absentmindedly. And Billy’s men unconsciously step backward.

“C-captain...” Both Seonghwa and Yunho can’t believe their eyes, their jaws hang open, they look ridiculously amusing that Hongjoong has to turn to wink at them.

Upon seeing the playful expression, Yunho let out a squeak and smile through tears while Seonghwa can’t help but also shed more tears as well. Then they use the opportunity where their captors are shocked by Hongjoong’s resurrection and break free from their hold. They sprint to guard Hongjoong on his side.

“H-how?” Flabbergasted, Billy stutters. He stares at where the bullet pierce through the man’s heart, there’s a hole on his black shirt, but no trace of blood coming out of the wound.

“Does he really possess power?” Someone in the room shrinks. The assumption makes them cower in fear so none of them dare to rescue their captain.

“I return from hell and now it’s your turn.” A corner of the pirate king’s mouth stretches wider and struck fear into watchers’ hearts.

After Hongjoong’s remark, a bomb exploded somewhere outside and the building slightly shook.

“W-what’s going on?” The governor stammers, panic written across his face. He still has no strength to stand up.

“What the did you do?!” Billy shouts furiously on the ground.

“Nothing much. I knew you guys weren’t trustful from the beginning so I made a backup plan by planting bombs in your warehouses.” Hongjoong smirks toward the governor and presses his foot harder on Billy’s chest.

“Y-you’re crazy. You’ll sabotage your business too.” The governor whispers as if he’d faint at any moment.

“No worries, I’m rich.” Hongjoong shrugs.

“No matter what you do, whether you have the power or not, you will never win this fight. The Royal Navy is coming.” Billy retorts strongly though he’s still under Hongjoong’s foot.

“I will win.” Hongjoong nonchalantly bore his eyes into the man, “Because I always win.”

As Hongjoong speaks, a row of bombs continue exploding in the town and the sound becomes closer to the manor.

“Our crew are probably on their way here.” Seonghwa mutters to Hongjoong.

Billy heard their conversation and shouts. “Impossible! I sent men to capture your crew and destroy your ship. They can’t be here-”

The door opens before Billy able to finish his sentence. A crew whose body is covered in blood from head to toe barges inside the room and cries with fright paint across his face. “Captain Billy! The Revenge is here!”

After the man’s report, a sword goes through his chest, a gush of blood flows out of the wound and he drops down to the ground, dead.

Behind the dead man, a guy with a long sword strides into the room. An intense rusty smell reaches their nose. The dark aura exudes from the figure make them recoil in horror.

The newcomer smirks, bloodthirsty eyes scan his prey. He wipes victim blood away from his face with the back of his hand. Then he begins playing the song of death.

“The devil!” That was the last word coming out of Billy’s men before they all dropped to the ground and never got up again.

On the side, the trio watch San chopping people as if they’re watching play. Soon, the men alive are the governor and captain billy.

“Good job.” Hongjoong compliments San when the younger man walks up to him after finishing his job. Hongjoong lift up his feet from Billy’s chest and wiggle his legs slightly.

Finding the opportunity, Billy scurries toward the door. However, when he’s able to step foot outside and a leg kicks him in the chest, causing him to crash onto the floor back inside the room.

“Where’re you going? We haven't finished playing yet.” The purple haired man enters the room and intentionally steps on Billy's stomach to head toward his crew. He scans around the room and scrunches his nose at the sight.

“As expected from our Sannie.” Wooyoung gives a thumbs up to his best mate.

San coldly peers at Wooyoung and walks up to Billy who’s trying to escape again. He mercilessly yanks up the man's hair and places the sword at his neck in order to hold him in place.

“How’s outside?” Hongjoong asks Wooyoung.

“We got everything under control because of your meticulous plan.” Wooyoung reports, smirking proudly.

Because Hongjoong never trusted the governor from the start, he made a backup plan in case he was betrayed. First, he requested Erik to watch over the town for the opponent’s activities.

When Erik went to warn them at the Revenge, a group of men attacked their ship. But the enemies underestimated the Revenge crew as they had gunners stationed outside of their ship to sabotage surprise attacks. They quickly got rid of the attackers. Then Wooyoung, San, and a dozen of men head towards the governor’s manor to rescue the trio. While Jongho and Yeosang guarded their ship. Erik went back to his ship and he sensed that he was attacked as well.

Mingi and other gun crew proceeded into the city to bomb the enemy’s warehouses where San secretly hid the bombs nights ago. The enemies and their partners were forced to surrender to secure their properties.

There was a battle in the town between the two sides but since Ateez was well prepared, their ambushed plan was ruined so Wooyoung and San were able to arrive at the manor fast.

“Even Erik can’t be compared to me.” Wooyoung continued, puffing his chest out with pride

The others snort. It’s not a secret that Wooyoung dislikes Erik because he often gets compared to the former first mate.

Wooyoung observes his crew faces and his smug smile immediately disappears. “What happened here? Why did you two cry?”

Caught by the observant man, Seonghwa and Yunho quickly wipe their face with their long sleeves.

Concerned by their condition, Wooyoung turns to look at Hongjoong for an answer, but he spots a bullet hole on the man’s shirt.

“Captain, you were shot!” Wooyoung shrinks and grabs Hongjoong’s shoulder.

The tiny captain brushed the hands away. “Not now Woo.” Wooyoung looks like he’s going to protest but Hongjoong walks past him to the traitor who is held by San.

“Where’s she?” Hongjoong’s lower tone can’t hide the fact that he’s in rage. Although Billy is on the losing side, he gives Hongjoong a taunting smirk. “I won’t tell you.”

“She?” Wooyoung murmurs confusedly. It doesn't take long for him to realize who’s the person Hongjoong was inquiring about. He peers at his two mates for confirmation. Seonghwa and Yunho return him with a grim look.

“.” He curses and stomps toward the kidnapper but the other two hold him back.

“Two of them are enough.” Seonghwa speaks. The trio watch Billy who falls into the cruel captain and the devil’s hands and pray that the sight won’t be too gruesome because they still need to eat the next meal.

“You’ll never see her agai-” Billy hasn’t finished his sentence when San buries the sword into his leg and pulls out abruptly. Red blood spurts from the slash. The pain forces him to fall down to the floor, howling.

“Speak.” San growls and grips on Billy’s hair harder as if he’ll tear off the scalp.

“So she’s important to all of you.” Though pain in his leg makes his consciousness fuzzy, he forces out a sinister laugh. “Then I have more reasons to- Arghh!!”

Another sentence cuts off as Hongjoong steps on to his hand where he uses it to press on the wound.

“Where’s she?” Hongjoong repeats through gritted teeth, veins on his temple become visible, his whole face and neck turn red.

Billy squeezes his eyes tight shut and only laughs like a mad man. Seeing the provoking reaction, San stabs the sword in the man’s back and twists it. Painful cries fill the room but both men won’t stop torturing the man until they get the answer.

“This won’t work.” Seonghwa mutters. Time is running out. Royal Navy could be on their way and board Nassau any moment. They must quickly rescue the girl and flee from this place. Thus he whips his head to the governor who’s still on the floor.

“Old man, do you know where’s she?”

When Seonghwa suddenly asks him, his body jerks from the attention and trembles badly. Seonghwa rolls his eyes and saunters toward the old man with pistol points at his forehead.

“Speak or you’ll end up like them.”

The governor scans the bodies scattered around the room and recalls Seonghwa’s threat. “I-if I tell you, then promise me you won’t kill me.” He stammers.

“You, traitor!!” Billy shouts, his body is now covered with cut and flowing blood. San twists the sword that still plugs into his back to shut the man up.

“You have my word.” Hongjoong backs away from Billy and turns to the governor.

The governor gulps before speaking. “They captured her in one of their hideouts in the western forest.”

Hongjoong clicks his tongue after hearing the answer.

“It’s not too far from here if you ride the horse.” Yunho says.

“Two of you get back to the ship.” Hongjoong immediately commands Wooyoung and Yunho. “And you two come with me.” He turns to Seonghwa and San.

“Captain. What do we do about them?” Seonghwa asks, peering at governor and the bloody Billy.

Hongjoong grips his chin, “Leave them here-”

“What!” Wooyoung shouts, cutting Hongjoong off. “You can’t do that!”

“I haven't finished my sentence.” Hongjoong glares at his first mate, and smirks toward the two men on the floor.

“They can’t escape if they don’t have legs right?”

Both prey pale at the cruel remark while the Revenge crews’ mouths form into a sadistic smile. If blood doesn't spill from their enemies then what’s the point of naming their ship Pirate king’s Revenge?

Soon, the bloodcurdling screams shook the whole manor.

 

---

 

Because of Yeojin’s insult toward Hongjoong’s mullet, I stopped talking to her. However, she didn’t stop blabbering about Wooyoung’s handsomeness. When she finally sensed my upset, she shut and said the last sentence that Hongjoong was fine but if my lover was Seonghwa, she’d be the one that would return me to the Royal Navy.

Even though Seonghwa is always on my nerves, how could she not worship the side bang? That’s the superior look!

Thus, in return, I said I’d marry Wooyoung if she didn’t shut up. She snickers and finally quiets down.

Suddenly a bomb explodes somewhere far away. We both startle and look at each other in alarm. There’s no word exchange as we both know that the fight has started.

My anxiety intensifies because I’ve been worrying about Ateez’s safety. My heart pounds rapidly, and my thumping headache worsens. I let out a cough and try to control my abnormal breathing.

“You okay?” The woman beside me asks.

“No, I feel like dying.” I tell her, panting in between.

She’s quiet for a moment and speaks up, “We must get out of here fast. The pirates are probably in big trouble. We can’t wait for them to rescue us.” She adds, “You know how to act right?”

“Yeah, why?” I clear my throat after coughing for a few times.

She smirks as an answer, her white teeth show in the dark.

“Helpppppp!!!!” Suddenly, she screams so loud that my ears ring. Then she whispers to me. “You try to act sick.”

I nod and breath in the air of foul smell inside the small room and let out the loudest cough I could muster. Yeojin giggles a little and continues yelling.

A while later the door opens and two men hurry inside, none of them is the scary captain. “What’s wrong woman?” One of them asks Yeojin as both stare at me who’s immersed in my surreal acting.

“She’s sick!” Yeojin answers, sniffing her nose in the process, pretending she’s crying.

“Sick?!” They repeat after her and begin checking up on me. However, Yeojin quickly barks at them to not touch me or else she’ll report to commander Christopher to cut off their hands.

They’re stupidly scared by the threat and only stare at me with concern.

Because I cough too much, now I can’t stop coughing. Tears roll down my cheek and I suddenly feel like throwing up but only air comes out.

“Ohh lord!! she vomited blood!!” Yeojin screams.

“I see no blood!” The second man shouts in full panic mode.

“The room is dark so how could you see blood?! Release me, I’m her personal surgeon. Are you waiting for her to die?!” Yeojin shrinks, continues with her fabulous acting. While I no longer act because now the symptom is real. I pant heavily and pain crushes my chest, making it hard to breath. I whimper and close my eyes, weakly leaning against the chair.

Bewildered, the men glance at each other but still don’t have an intention to release Yeojin.

“Or go to the Revenge and retrieve her medicine. If she died then it’s you guys fault. Commander Chris will behead all of you!” She pressures them.

“Go get captain.” One of them speaks, but before he rushes outside the room, Yeojin stops him.

“Are you stupid? Your captain will punish you for letting his precious captive sick. You better release me now.”

Whether it’s Yeojin’s persuasiveness or the men’s foolishness, they cut the rope that ties around Yeojin’s body. Once she is free, she stretches her body a little.

“Cure her!” One of them hurriedly shouts toward Yeojin. The girl nods, suddenly she delivers a blow toward the man’s face, knocking him out cold to the floor. Then she kicks another guy where the sun doesn’t shine because he’s caught off guard by her attack. Finishing the job, she slams her hand behind his neck and he falls unconscious on top of his friend on the ground.

I watch her fight in awe. It’s a relief that I never called her annoying seaweed in front of her face or else I’d end up like them.

Then Yeojin turns around and releases me.

“Not bad.” She compliments me. I want to reply to her that I didn’t fake it but a lump in my throat prevents me from speaking and I let out a dry cough.

“Okay, stop acting, we gotta head out now before anyone notices.” She crouches down to find weapons on the two unconscious men. She hands out a pistol for me and keeps one for herself and several daggers into her belt and boots.

I helplessly look at the pistol in my hand. It’d be useless because I don’t know how to use it.

“Even if you don’t know how to fire, just wave it in their faces to scare them off.” She says and pokes her head outside the door, scanning the area. Then she signals me to follow her.

I drag my heavy legs into a dimly lit narrow hallway. The place looks like a basement with a single room that is probably built to lock up hostages.

In front of us there’s a staircase. We ascend the stairs and find ourselves in a room full of wooden chests and crates. Luckily, no one is in sight.

We find the door at the opposite side of the room. Yeojin presses her ear against the door. A moment later she slowly turns the doorknob. Another hallway comes into our view, where there’re many doors leading to god know where. Yeojin bites her lip, frowning. She turns to look at me and points toward the door at the end of the hallway.

I can read her worried gaze. If we choose the wrong door then we’re likely to be captured and never able to escape again. But at this moment, we have to gamble our luck instead of waiting for rescue. So I nod at her.

Exiting the room, we walk as quietly as possible, heading to the door while praying that none of the captors pop out of the rooms along the way.

However, our prayers never come true as one of the doors to our left suddenly opens, a man emerges outside and yelps when he sees us.

Yeojin quickly stabs a dagger into his gut and grabs my wrist then we run toward the targeted door. Because of the man groaning in pain, it alerts the other captors. Several of them come out of the other rooms and start yelling to alert more people.

Not wasting the time, we slam into the door and stumble forward into the cool night air. The shadow of the forest looms over us. However, we can’t be relieved yet as men are chasing after us.

Before we step foot into the forest, a chilly voice halts our action.

“Where do you think you’re going, my ladies?”

We whip our heads and see Captain Arrow leaning against the building and a dozen men behind his back.

My heart drops to the ground.

Yeojin tightens her grip around my wrist. She immediately fires the pistol toward them and pull me into a sprint. The men curse and quickly run after us.

“Don’t shoot them!” Arrow barks while chasing after us into the forest. “Capture the black haired alive and the blonde is your prize.”

Yeojin and I run blindly inside the dark forest. Because of my condition, I run way slower than usual and in my usual condition I’m also a slow runner. So we move at turtle speed.

“Aish! Princess run faster!” Yeojin furiously shouts and tugs my arm harsher.

I want to be as badass as her but my legs refuse to listen to me. My vision blurs and my lungs are on fire. I pant heavily and start to cough uncontrollably.

Soon the pirates catch up on us. Someone pulls me back by my hair, separating me from Yeojin. I scream and toss around, hitting the pistol at my abductor. He grunts and twists my wrist. I cry out of pain and the pistol in my grasp falls to the ground. Weaponless, I scratch him with my nails. But my strength can’t be compared to the man's strength as he grabs my hands and punches into my stomach, causing me to double over from sharp pain. My vision turns black and I completely lose strength to even stand on my feet. The person curses at me and drapes my body over his shoulder.

From the corner of my eyes, Yeojin does her best to put up a fight against several men. But it takes less than a minute to take her down. A man slaps her, making her tumble to the ground. She tries to get up but another man kicks her in the stomach. She groans painfully and can’t get back on her feet.

After that I see nothing as tears shield my vision. I only hear their evil laughter and feel a movement as the man starts walking. When they reach that building, my life is over. And I’m the one that dragged Yeojin to hell with me.

“Let her go, I won’t escape.” I whimper weakly, scared of what they’ll do to Yeojin. If something happens to her, I’ll never forgive myself and I can never face Yeosang again.

Suddenly I hear a galloping sound and followed by panic shouts from the pirates. Sound of gunshot and sword cutting through human flesh make my body tense up. I try to raise my head up but see only the silhouette of trees and men.

Then the man who carries me suddenly screams and drops to his knee. Before I fall to the ground, a pair of hands scoop me into a warm embrace.

I look up to my rescuer, my heavy heart immediately surging toward the night sky. A glimpse of his face makes tears spurt from my eyes. I hug him tightly and bury my head into his chest. He carries me outside of the battle zone and gently places me down on the grass floor.

“Wait here.” He says before pressing his lips on my forehead then he heads into the war zone like a god of war.

 


。・゚゚*(>д<)*゚゚・。

 

Thank you for waiting patiently for my update and the endless cliffhanger. ♡´・ᴗ・`♡