Chapter 15 - Port Royal

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

Three days have passed and we finally arrived at Port Royal.

My torment in the small cabin came to an end!

During the imprisonment, I spent most of the time sleeping, eating, and thinking about the fiction. While Aurora indulges in her book most of the time. We barely talked to each other and the atmosphere in the room was quite awkward.

Whenever she asked me personal questions, I ended up answering her in weird riddles, such as, “Where’re you from?” 
I, who didn't know anything about this character, answered, “Somewhere very far away, you can’t imagine.”

And another tough question, “How did you become a seer?”
I, who couldn’t say that I read the fiction on my phone, replied, “I received my power from a magic box.”

“...” Aurora

 

Perhaps it was my fault that made conversation awkward. Because she stopped talking to me.

Anyway, I learnt that she’s still the sweet female lead but she didn’t open up to me that much. I guess that it would take time because in the story she doesn’t have any close friends to rely on. Until she meets Ateez, she learns what the true friendship is. The thought made me shed tears.

 

 

When the ship dock at Port Royal, Jim unlocks the door and ushers us to the main deck.

Once I step out into the sun, I take a deep breath and stretch my stiff body.

My freedom!

The sky slightly turns orange, indicating that the sun will set soon.

Scanning around the ship, the crew are shouting back and forth, they appear livelier than usual. It has been quite a while since they stopped at a port.

“Remember, we’re not here to play but for an important matter.” Hongjoong who stands on a quarterdeck shouts across the board and his men shout back, ‘Aye!!’

Seonghwa leads a group of tough looking men, making their way off the ship and some crew are loitering around the ship fixing on sails and rigging.

Seonghwa must be the head of the operation to get the Wonderland map.

I remember telling them that the trade will be in the forsaken area on the east coast at midnight. I guess he’s preparing to ambush or something. Too bad they didn’t tell me any plan details.

Anyway, I’ll convince Hongjoong from joining them since I don’t know if anything could go wrong at that moment.

Hongjoong descends down the stairs toward the main deck. He’s talking with Yunho and several unfamiliar faces, probably on the plan as all of them appear very serious.

I walk cautiously toward them. Yunho notices my presence as he waves at me cheerfully.

Aww, my giant puppy, it’s been a long time since I last saw him.

I wave back but Hongjoong suddenly turns his face toward me and smirk, making me falter in my step.

Perhaps I should stand here quietly until the time is right, I’ll confront him.

I don’t want to hear him say ‘My ship, my rule, lock them in the cabin’ again.

 

Then I see Yeosang and Wooyoung leaving the ship together, Yeosang gives me a small smile which I return him one while Wooyoung yells at me, “Nice shirt.”

Jack finally gave me new cloth. It's a dark blue shirt which obviously doesn't match my eye color at all. But it's decent enough to walk around in this shirt.

I throw him a glare earning him a playful smirk. Yeosang shake his head in disapproval at Wooyoung.

 

“You seem to get along with them well.” Aurora who stands beside me says.

“You call that getting along.” I scrunch my nose.

Maybe I do get along with some of them, such as Yunho and Yeosang, they're the nicest characters here. And for Wooyoung, I don’t think he hates me, does he?

 

While standing here, I begin to notice the crew stare in our direction. The awestruck gaze at Aurora’s beauty. They’re powerless against the female lead halo effect. I swear I see hearts in their eyes.

But why do they look at me that way? Something between fear and respect.

Is it because of my renown seer power? That must be it.

 

Suddenly an arm drapes around my shoulder making me jump in my skin.

My head snap at the owner’s arm.

The fiery red hair man greets me with his wide grin.

“Here you are Star, you became the hot topic in these past few days.” Mingi says.

“Why?” I ask him curiously.

“You made the devil laugh.”

My eyebrows frown at his answer and then my jaw drops to the ground when the memory floods back. So that’s why the crew look at me like that.

“Did you mean when San chuckled creepily the other days?” They probably saw us or Jack might spread the news.

“Yeah, the crew are amazed by you. It’s rare to hear him speak but rarer to hear him laugh when he is not on a killing spree.”

Mingi's answer makes my blood run cold.

K..Killing spree...

My legs are shaking uncontrollably.

Did he plan to murder me when he chuckled like that? If Wooyoung didn’t interfere with him, I wouldn’t be here.

Wooyoung-ah I’ll remove you from my nerve wrecker list.

 

“You scare the girl.” Jongho appears beside Mingi. I smile at him weakly.

“San normally doesn’t interest in anyone, unless it’s his comrade or enemy. What do you think you’re classified as?” Jongho says with a straight voice.

Comrade? No, I’m a stranger to him.

Then left with the enemy?

 

I stare wide-eyed at Jongho.

“And you told me I scare her, you’re no better.” Mingi mutturs.

“I was just stating the fact.” Jongho retorts.

“Guys, I think I hit his face with the cabin door.” I say weakly, remembering the day when I kicked the door in his face.

“You what? Hit his face?” Jongho repeats as if he thought he misheard me.

I nod.

Ahahahahahaha!!!
Both of them then burst with thunderous laughter.

“Woah, you have the gut, even Captain doesn’t dare to hit him.” Mingi says, still laughing while clapping like a seal.

I panickingly scan left and right, “Stop laughing! What if he’s here.”

“Nah, I saw him left the ship earlier.” Jongho answers. He laughs until his face turns red.

I think the scene was funny too but recall when he held my face, my laugh died down.

“Then what do you think he meant when he said my eyes color is...beautiful?”

Thinking of that fateful day, I remember him complimenting my eyes color. His compliment must have a hidden motive then.

Mingi exaggeratedly gasps while Jongho's eyes go wide. They both look at each other, face pale.

Mingi gulps his sliva nervously and says, “He might take a liking on your eyeballs.”

“My eyeballs!!” I shriek loudly, “You gotta be kidding!”

“Hmm, no one really knows what that guy thought. Cause last time he said he liked a guy’s cutlass. He cut off that guy's arm without hesitation to steal the cutlass.”

My body starts to sway, not sure from the swaying ship or wobble legs.

Both of them pad on my shoulder while I’m too absorbing in my terror to notice their mischievous expression. Then they leave me and walk toward their captain.

Aurora catches my body from landing on the floor, I thank her with a small smile.

“Do you still think that they’re friendly to me?”

Aurora shakes her head while looking at me pitifully.

 

Not a moment later, Mingi shouts while beckoning us over to join their little group.

“Captain, can we take them around the town?” Mingi asks Hongjoong enthusiastically.

“Can you take care of them?” Hongjoong asks.

“Jongho and Yunho can take care of them.” Mingi responded, earning scoffs from Jongho and Yunho.

I blink at Hongjoong multiple times as my way of pleading. Hongjoong stare at me and then Aurora who’s standing a little further away from the group.

“Fine, make sure to stand by when the time comes and don’t do anything foolish.” He finally allows us but his expression shows concern.

Hongjoong has a strange hunch that something might go wrong when they’re so close to get the map. But he ought to have faith in his crew, right?