Chapter 63 - Protecting you from outside the blanket

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

My world spins as Hongjoong seizes my hand that was about to make contact with his handsome face. The next thing I know, I am already trapped inside his arms, embracing me from behind. My heart skips a beat when his warm body presses against my back.

“Do you know what punishment you will receive for assaulting captain?” Hongjoong’s hot breath grazes my ear. His velvet voice causes my legs to lose strength.

“Now you're scared?” He tightens his embrace once my body starts to slide down the floor.

“W-who scared of you?” Spontaneously, I retaliate although I basically lean against him. “I’m not one of your crew, your punishment can’t apply to me. A-and it was your fault that you startled me. It was a body reflex. I didn’t mean to punch you.”

Hongjoong chuckles in his throat and whispers, “Right, because you aren’t my crew then your punishment will be more severe.”

My breath hitch in my throat as my imagination starts to run wild. The previous punishment ended with his lips on mine. I’m glad the room is dark and my face turns away from him, so he wouldn’t see me blush madly. Instead of fighting him back, I keep my mouth shut.

“Are you that angry with me?” When he notices my silence protest, he asks me with an uncertain tone.

I bite my tongue and remain quiet. I’m angry because he locked me in the room and prevented me from talking to Aurora. Even if he has the authority, he can’t control me because I'm an independent woman, I have a mind of my own.

After a short while, I hear him sigh and he leans his head against mine.

“After you hear what happened, you must be disgusted by my crime.” His tone is flat, but fills with bitterness.

Upon hearing the past misdeed that he and his crew caused to the sea witch, I feel my heart plunge into conflict. I wasn’t angry but disappointed. No matter how long I spent time with them, I’m not used to their cruelty. Every time something similar happens, I try to remind myself that I’m inside a pirate book which means they are bound to commit a lot of crimes. Plus, the goal of the story is about the pirates to repent and receive their second chance. And since the incident happened in the past and Hongjoong’s already promised me he wouldn’t do it again, I shouldn’t blame him anymore. Instead I should guide him on a better path.

Yet, because of my stubbornness, I stay silent and listen to him.

“I’m a horrible person. I committed so many unforgivable sins. I regret what I did, but I don’t have an ounce of sympathy toward those who hurt my men, they deserve it.”

The room is so quiet that I can hear my own rapid heartbeat. I didn’t expect him to confess his thoughts so sincerely. He lets go of my arms and he replaces them around my waist.

“You see good in people, no matter how vile they are. Unlike me, I see corruptness in them. You don’t hesitate to help us and that betrayer girl. However, Star, people like us take advantage of a person like you. And I also take advantage of your naivety. Perhaps, you realize how I manipulated you, yet you let me do it. Even my crew are against the thought of us together. Do you know why?”

The more he speaks, the more emotions reveal in his tone. It’s not that I let him control me, he just didn’t leave a room for me to oppose. Even when I was supposed to be angry at him, I couldn’t stay angry for too long. And I noticed the guys’ reaction when Hongjoong showed interest in me, I thought he was so confident to ignore the matter.

He lets out a shaky laugh before speaking. “Because I don’t deserve you. Because I’ll only taint you with my wickedness. Even though I know how different we are, I keep drawing to you. Instead of letting you go, I pull you into my world—to my hellish world. If in the end, you come to hate me, I understand.”

Hongjoong buries his head at the crook of my neck while I’m at loss of words. I never knew he holds such thought inside the assertive facade.

I pull his hands away and whirl around to face him. His usual unyielding gaze is now wavering when connecting with mine.

“I don’t hate you.” As soon as the word left my mouth, light flashed across his hazel orbs. Yet, it’s too soon for him to be relieved because I have a LOT to say to him. “But I’m still angry for what you did. You can’t lock me up and control me however you like. I’m not your lifeless treasure.”

The light in his eyes start to fade as I speak.

“And Aurora, she helped you guys so much in the past. Even if you have no memory of her, you can’t just treat her so harshly like that. You guys wouldn’t be here if not for her wish.”

I breathe in and breathe out, suppressing my anger.

“Star, I did it because I care about you. You trust that woman too easily. All of us wouldn't be here either if we failed to escape.” His gaze hardened, his hand reached out to grab my hand but I brushed him off. “She refused to kill you and you believe her right away that she’s on our side. Do you forget that she led you into the lair knowing that sea woman intended to kill you.”

My mouth opens and shut right away because he’s right. All of us could die at the fake Wonderland. However, my stubbornness causes me to retort, “She didn’t have a choice. Her parents were captured.”

“Star, I don’t want to argue with you.” He slowly exhales as if he’s trying to control his exasperation.

“I don’t want to either.” I look the other way to avoid his strong gaze.

“Do you even realize I did all of that to protect you. You’re too kind and quick to judge.”

“Say the one who judges quicker than me.” I mutter.

“Fine! I’m not saying that she's wrong. Because I’d betray anyone for you too. But until she’s proved to be innocent, I won’t let you get near her. And for your sake, I won’t harm her if she doesn’t harm us.” He suddenly raises his voice, causing me to jolt.

“Then fine!” I shout back, crossing my arms. “But you can’t lock me up like a prisoner. And you have to listen to my opinion.”

“Fine!” Hongjoong shouts in return. After we burst out, the room resumed to its serene atmosphere. We silently stare at each other, unable to utter a word.

In the next minute, Hongjoong heaves a long sigh, shutting his eyes and reopening them, his expression becomes less hardened. “Are we good?”

I roll my eyes upon hearing his question. You think it’s easy to make up with me. Dream on!

“Star, I’m sorry, I can’t see you get hurt.” His tone changes when he sees that I’m still upsetting. “If someone hurt me, will you avenge for me too?” He asks me out of the blue.

I scoff, “I’d cook them into a stew and feed them to giant squid.”

“You’re even scarier than me.” Hongjoong chuckles at my silly comment.

I press my lips together from mortification. He has a talent for not letting me be angry with him for too too long.

I feel him circle his arms around my waist though I keep my arms up in defense.

“We didn’t have alone time since at the island. We still have to talk about us. You said you don’t love me but I don’t believe it. You were crying so hard back there and you even kissed me.”

I recall when I kissed him because I thought I was leaving this realm. Why did he have to bring it up after we argued so intensely a minute ago? It was embarrassing. I chew on my lower lip and refuse to meet his gaze.

Hongjoong’s gently grabs on my chin and lift my face up. “Star, you’re not a lifeless treasure to me. You’re my most precious treasure that I want to protect with my life. You give me strength when I lose hope. You try to guide me into a better path. You’re my miracle, not a curse. I never fell in love so I didn’t know how to act properly. Will you forgive me?”

I blink feverishly. Did he just confess to me!?!? My erratic heartbeat roars in my ears, my body feels hot over the sudden.

“Um.” As if I was bewitched by him, I nod my head.

After seeing my reaction, a small smile forms on his lips yet it doesn’t reach his eyes. “Even if you forgive me, I understand why you can’t love me because I’m a bad person.”

“I love you.” I blurt out. It takes a whole second for me to realize what I’ve done. Then I scream in my head.

Hongjoong’s mouth hangs open. He, too, takes a while to process my sudden confession. Then he giggles like a teenage girl.

“I was right you’re so head over heel for me.” He caresses my cheeks and leans in. I put my finger against his lips to halt his action.

“Don’t get your hope up, captain. You know that we can’t be together.”

He furrows his eyebrows and grabs my hand away from his lips. “We can, it’s your choice.”

“Are you scheming something again?” I remember how he said he’d give me a choice but he actually never intended to let me go.

Hongjoong shakes his head. “I understand how hard it’s for you to be apart from your home. So this time, it’s your choice whether you stay or leave.”

My chest tightens at the thought of departing this world. I should be happy that he lets me go so easily but why do I feel the complete opposite emotion?

“But you never know if we can successfully go to Wonderland, perhaps you may be stuck here forever.” Hongjoong continues speaking.

“Thank you for reassuring.” I sarcastically replied.

“Or maybe I fail to lift the curse and turn into a sea monster. Then you’ll be lonely so I’ll tell that squid woman to turn you into a monster as well so we can live as a monster couple forever.”

“Eww!” I scrunch my nose and hit his chest, earning him a chuckle. My hand brushes against a solid surface under his shirt.

“Does it still hurt?” I place my hand above his heart, feeling cool scales underneath. He holds my hand and pout. “It's more painful when you said you didn’t love me.”

I roll my eyes. “You should go back to sleep captain, you splutter nonsense.”

Hongjoong hums in return. Then he crouches down to take off his boots and then he climbs on my bed.

“What are you doing?” I watch him lie down on my small bed.

“You told me to go to sleep. So I’m going to sleep.” Hongjoong flashed me an innocent smile.

“Yes, but in your room.”

“This is my room and also my bed. Everything on this ship belongs to me.” The innocent smile turns into a sly grin. I know he can’t be serious for more than a second.

“Alright, it’s your ship, then why don’t you sleep on the floor, it yours, isn’t it?”

“Someone told me I have a sharp-tongued but I can’t be compared to you.” Hongjoong sighs and he shifts to the side and pats a little space next to him “Come here, Star. You need to rest too.”

“No way, I’m not squeezing myself on the same bed with you.” His suggestion makes blood rush to my face. He’s getting bold when I’m too nice to him.

“Fine, but come here please. I want to spend time with you as much as I can.” He sits up and leans against the wall. His gloomy eyes makes my heart sway.

Hence I end up sitting next to him on my small bed.

“Remember when you told me about the love prediction. You tried to set me up with that girl?” Hongjoong stares at me while I keep looking straight ahead.

“Um, yea.” To think back, my action was so ridiculous. I tried to persuade Ateez to like Aurora which I failed. If Ateez happened to have good feelings toward her and then she betrayed them, it’d end so bad.

“And I thought it was you. No,” I feel him shift closer to me. “I still think it’s you.”

I try my best to keep a straight face even though I squeal inside my head for a thousand times already. I clear my throat and ask him. “What if you gain the memory back and you remember that you love Aurora, what will you do?”

Hongjoong secures my hands into his, I turn to face him and meet with his determined gaze. “Believe me Star, my feeling for you is real. You don’t have to worry about it.”

His feelings for her in the story was also real. He even died protecting her. They are meant to be together as the main characters of the book and I, a person from another world, shouldn’t interfere with their affair.

“I think we should not, you know, doing this.” I retrieve my hands back to hug myself. What I need to do right now is to stop our feelings from growing. Because what awaits us in the future is a heart wrenching departure.

“Are you afraid you can’t leave me?”

I nod.

“Then I’ll keep doing it.” He suddenly hugs me.

“This isn’t fair.” My heart pounds painfully yet elatedly

“Let’s not think about the future and enjoy our present.” Hongjoong pulls away. A trace of sorrow visible on his face, he tries to smile but I notice how forceful it is. “You don’t have to be concerned about anything. As long as I’m here I’ll protect you. I’m going to kill the sea woman, lift the curse and go to Wonderland and convince you to stay with me.”

“Sound like a good plan, except the last part.”

He shakes his head. “That’s the main goal of my plan.”

I fake a sigh. The conversation is going nowhere, thus I decide to shoo him away before I give in. “Captain, you should leave. It’s getting late.”

“I’ll stay with you until you fall asleep. I heard from Yeosang that you had trouble sleeping.” Hongjoong shifts away to make a room for me to lie down.

“There’s no way I’m sleeping while you’re in my room.”

“Then that’s great. I’ll stay with you all night.”

After that I have a fight with him through a staring contest and guess who loses?

Me.

Hongjoong cheerfully tucks me inside a blanket. Before I tell him to leave, he already squeezes himself beside me, placing his arm around my waist.

“What are you doing?” I glare at him.

“Protecting you from outside the blanket.”

I suppress giggles that threaten to fall out of my lips and close my eyes. “You’re acting out of character, captain.”

“I discover my new self whenever I’m with you.” Although I still shut my eyes, I can imagine mischievous expression display on his face.

“I’ll dream about Seakeeper.” I told him. “And I’ll ask her the way to go to Wonderland.”

“Ask her if she’s my grandma.” He whispers.

“I will. I’m sorry about your loss.” I open my eyes and crane my neck to see him. He’s already shut his eyes.

“To be honest, The memory was fading, like someone deleted my childhood. I couldn’t remember much about my grandma, but I only remember how much I love her and how devastated I was when I lost her. She and I lived on an island. One day she was taken away by the sea. And after that somehow I was captured on a pirate ship.”

“Maybe the memory was too painful so your mind deleted it by itself.” I turn toward him and place my hand on his cheek.

He opens his eyes, staring at me with warmth that seeps to my heart. “Tell her that I appreciate for sending you to me.” He places his hand on top of mine. “Sleep. Or I’ll stay with you the entire night.”

I smile and close my eyes. My plan to stay away from him failed miserably. Yet, I wanna cheat myself and have a happy moment with him.

Before I fall asleep, I feel his warm lips press against my forehead.

 

---

 

When the girl next to him falls asleep, Hongjoong quietly gets up from the small bed. He apologizes to her in his mind because he has another plan hiding from her. She’d be upset if she found out.

Instead of heading toward his quarter, he heads down stairs. He stops in front of a room where San and Seonghwa stand guard in front of a room.

“She insisted that she has no idea of the wi- woman’s plan.” Seonghwa reports, almost slipping the forbidden word.

Hongjoong nods and stares at the closed door. Beyond the wall, a muffled cried can be heard. “Don’t go so hard on her, she’s still our benefactor in the past.”

Seonghwa raises his brow at Hongjoong suspiciously. “Do you really believe her?”

“Star believes her.” Hongjoong replied.

Seonghwa tries so hard to not roll his eyes and changes the topic. “About the governor, are you sure with the plan? It’s dangerous.”

“The time is running out. We can’t waste time here, we must act fast and catch our enemy by surprise. Right now they thought that we’re fooled by them. People like Arrow and Billy are easy to fool. However, the governor is a tough opponent. He knows us too much.”

Hongjoong stops speaking once he hears footsteps approaching.

“Captain, one crew hasn’t returned to the ship.” The man, who Seonghwa sent to count the whole crew number, reports. They set a rule that everyone must return to the ship within 9pm to make sure that no one accidentally slips their secret while being drunk somewhere.

“You may return to your post.” Seonghwa says. Once the crew disappears around the corner, Seonghwa turns to Hongjoong. “He might be drunk in one of the taverns, I’ll dispatch a team to find him.”

Hongjoong nods, appearing to be in deep thought. Then he turns to the combatant.

“San I have a mission for you. Go get Mingi and do as I say.” Hongjoong grins once he thought of another plan.

 

---

 

The next day, I woke up a little fresher than usual although I didn’t dream of the Seakeeper. Hongjoong is gone which is a good thing because I don't know what kind of face to make. Last night I went too soft on him. I should’ve ended our unidentified relationship but I let down my guard and we seemed to understand each other more than before.

I stare at my small bed where we squeezed together last night. Blood rush to my cheeks and high pitch squeal escapes my lips. I quickly slap my head and curse at myself.

No! I must stop this insanity!

I keep chanting the line until Jim comes to deliver my breakfast. He looks at me warily so I tell him that it’s a seeress ritual every morning. He nods and exits the room faster than lightning.

The other crew don’t know the fact that I’m a fake seeress because Ateez decided to keep my identity a secret so that no one accidentally leaks the information since it’ll be dangerous to me.

After I finish my breakfast, I leave my cabin to breath fresh air outside. Hongjoong, being way too cautious, prevents his crew from telling me where Aurora is locked up. Hence I can only it up and plan to spy on Ateez later.

Once I reach the main deck, I’m blown away by loud commotion. The crew vigorously repairs the ship, some of them climb on ratlines, changing new rope and black sails while some are loading dozens of wooden chests into the ship. No single man is left standing idly.

“Be Careful! Those are the bombs you’re carrying. Do you want it to explode into your damn face!!” The master gunner’s booming voice reaches my ears. I spot his fiery red hair among the crowd. I avoid the crew carrying goods while walking up to him.

“Hey, Mingi.” I greet him, but he doesn’t hear me as he continues yelling at the workers. So I tap on his back and he whirls around.

“What!!” His shout is as loud as a bomb. I wince and hear ringing sounds in my ears.

“Oh! Shooting Star!!” Mingi’s scowl instantly turns into a bright sunshine that matches today’s weather. However, the next second later his expression turns grim. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to shout at you. You must be scared right?”

I shake my head, smiling at him. “I’m fine. I’m already getting used to your thunderous voice.”

Sulking, Mingi scratches his nape. “Well, I meant yesterday in the sickbay when I shouted at you.”

My eyes stare upward as I try to remember when he shouted at me.

“I was angry when I thought about the past. I...” Mingi clenches his fists. His chest puffs outward as he breathes heavily. I understand right away what he meant. The scene from yesterday returned to my mind where Seonghwa told me the story when they were cursed.

The crew look at Mingi oddly when witnessing his eccentric action so I grab his wrist and lead him to Starboard side where it’s less crowded.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring up your bad memory.” I feel guilty for saying they deserved to be cursed upon because I was so shocked to learn about the story.

Mingi shakes his head. “You must think that we’re terrible but we’re actually worse than you thought. This business, the thing that we commit, it’s hard to explain, you wouldn’t understand us.” He places his fists on the rail and glaring forward into the deep blue sea.

“Mingi, you don’t have to explain to me. I won’t judge you from your past. Just promise me that you won’t do it again, don’t hurt innocent people.”

He abruptly whips his head to me. “They’re anything but innocent!” His shout turns some people head toward us. But he doesn’t care as he lifts up his shirt, revealing a large brownish scar on his right waist. Though the wound is already healed, it looks fatal, his skin seems to be torn away.

Feeling lightheaded by the sight, I spontaneously step backward. “Mingi, I...”

“Sirens dragged me down into the bottom of the ocean, they tore my flesh with their sharp teeth. I thought I was dead for sure. But my mentor didn’t hesitate to rescue me even when he was safe on the ship. He died in my place.” He slams his fist on the rail, clenching his jaw so hard that veins invisible on his neck.

“I’m so sorry Mingi, I didn’t understand the situation. I was quick to judge.” I place my hand on his tense back. “I’m sorry for your loss. Your mentor loved you so much that he sacrificed his life for you. He is an honorable person.”

“He was like a father to me.” He whispers through a loud noise around us.

I feel tears well up in my eyes, I use one hand to rub the tears away and another hand continues to pat on his back until he calms down.

“Will you stop being my friend?” Mingi turns to face me, looking solemn.

“Why would I stop being your friend?” I ask him back. “You did it because you were angry.”

“Shooting Star, I also did the other immoral stuff...” He trails off and stares downward at his feet.

I step forward and hug him. He immediately jolts by the sudden contact.

“You’re my best friend no matter what. You made a mistake and you regret it. But you can choose not to make the same mistake in the future. And I’ll be beside you, helping you walk on a better path.”

“Thank you Star.” Mingi returns the hug so tight that I have a hard time breathing. I hear the crew around us cheer and whistle. I even hear some of them yell something like they won a bet. Still, Mingi doesn’t let me go. I bury my face into his chest to hide myself from the outside world.

After a while, Mingi reluctantly pulls away, his face completely paints in scarlet. He looks anywhere but me.


“I- ugh, I...” He stutters. I giggle when I see him blush although I am also embarrassed by the crew’s cheering.
 

“Sir Mingi!” One of the gunners shouts to give his master a thumbs up. Mingi turns to curse at the man to cover his bashfulness. “If you lot don’t finish loading the stock by noon, forget about lunch!!”

They groan in unison and resume their work. Once the commotion dies down, Mingi and I are left in awkward silence.

“Those supplies must cost a lot.” I change the topic to clear awkwardness, looking at the mountain of goods at the dock waiting to be transferred into the ship.

“Nah, it’s free.” Mingi shrugs his shoulder.

“Free?”

“Yeah, from the governor.”

“Wow, he must be so generous.” To give these many goods for free, they must have a really good relationship.

However, Mingi scoffs, “That man is anything but generous, everything is about business.”

“Then why would the governor give you guys a lot of supplies for free?” Seems like I was wrong as I notice Mingi’s disdain expression.

“Because we’re about to fight in a war with the Royal Navy.”

“War with Royal Navy!? When!?” Surprised by the news, I unconsciously raise my voice. Ateez just arrived at Nassau yesterday, how did they manage to go to war?

“In two days- hold on! Captain didn’t tell you?” Mingi looks at me with wide eyes. After I shake my head to confirm him, he covers his mouths, unable to utter a word.

I snicker and glare toward the quarter room where Hongjoong must be resided. I made up with him yesterday, yet he still dared to hide the info from me. How could you, you tiny man!

I immediately head toward the captain's quarter while Mingi yells after me. “Shooting Star, don’t tell captain that I told you!!”

I burst into the quarter room without knocking. At the head of the table, four men are conversing while pointing on the map laying in front of them. They seem to be in a serious topic which I can guess it must be about the war.

Hongjoong smiles as soon as he sees me. “Someone must be missing me so much.”

I shoot him a look and stomp toward him. When he notices my expression, he raises his brow in questioning.

“Are you going to war with the Royal Navy?” Hands on my hip, I immediately shoot him the question.

“Who told you?” Hongjoong instantly frowns and peers at the men around him. Yunho quickly waves his hands. Standing on the opposite side of the table, San silently observes me with his dark gaze while Seonghwa busily gives me a judgmental look.

“It doesn’t matter, just answer-”

“Yes.” Seonghwa cut me off. “Satisfy now? Leave.”

I ignore the grumpy quartermaster and confront Hongjoong. “But why now? You guys are supposed to focus on Wonderland and the curse.”

“Seems like someone can’t wait to go home.” Seonghwa chirps and smirks my way.

I roll my eyes at him instead of retorting.

“Star, we don’t have a voice to refuse the war. The governor and other pirates are forcing us to join the fight.” Hongjoong answers me honestly.

I chew on my lower lip. “That stinky governor gave you weapons for free but forced you to go to war. What a sly person.”

Hongjoong and Yunho chuckle at my comment.

“That’s the first time you say something that please to my ears.” Seonghwa mutters.

I fake a sweet smile at him. “Oh, but sadly you never speak something pleasing to my ears.”

“We plan to win the war as soon as possible and then we’ll pursue Wonderland.” Hongjoong cut into our conversation before Seonghwa and I get into a verbal fight.

“Could it be Chris that leads the Royal Navy?” I ask him.

“The battleships aren’t his ship, HMS Declaration. But it could be his command to dispatch the fleet to take his sister and fiancee back.” Hongjoong replied.

I sulk. Ateez already have grave issues to deal with; they don’t need the antagonist to wage war against them. Chris must be so furious after being humiliated by Hongjoong and he must plan revenge on them. This war doesn’t sit right with me.

“If that arrogant commander learns that you aren’t his sister, he probably hires an exorcist to chase you out of his sister's body.” The nerve wrecker quartermaster doesn't stop his antics and states his weird comment.

“I’m not a ghost.” I say through gritted teeth. Then I realize my soul literally transmigrated into Alice’s body, then I’m really considered a ghost!?

“But you possess this girl’s body. Am I right?” Seonghwa smirks at me triumphantly once my complexion starts to turn pale. “And no one here knows who you really are, how you look like.”

Yunho, besides me shuddering slightly, staring warily at me from the corner of his eyes. Even Hongjoong seems to be lost in his thought. Only San looks at me, expressionless.

“Hold your thought!” I put my hand up before their imagination got ahead of them. “I don’t wanna brag but my real body is gonna make you guys drool.” I flip my hair and regret my action immediately.

Yunho is the first one to laugh, he covers his face with both hands but I still see his ears turning red from laughing so hard. Seonghwa snorts and turns away, but a corner of his mouth lifting up. Beside him, the expressionless combatant has his lips form upward, making me shiver in my skin.

“I can’t wait to see your real body.” Hongjoong, who’s supposed to be at least 2 steps away from me, now right up close to me. He leans down to whisper into my ears with his thick husky voice.

I impulsively push him away, earning him a chuckle. My eyes shift toward the door, pondering whether I should escape from the war zone or not.

Seonghwa clears his throat and talks to me, stopping me from sprinting outside the room. “Captain hasn’t told you that you’ll have to stay in the city until we finish the war.”

“What!!!!” I exclaim. The news is like a slap to my face. “I’m not going anywhere, I’m going to stay with you guys!!!” I turn to Hongjoong. He no longer wears playful expressions. “Star, the war is dangerous, you’ll be safe here”

“If you wanna stay on the ship, then you can.” Seonghwa smirks. “But I’m not guaranteeing that your body will stay in one piece once the war is over.”

I swallow hard and suppress my shudder. The cannonball has no eyes, especially I’m a trouble attractor, I could be gone in less than a second once the war starts.

My eyes connect with San who stares blankly at me. His lips part and I think he’s trying to say something. However, nothing comes out.

“You’ll be staying with a trustful person.” Hongjoong says.

“Who?”

The door opens at the same time I ask them. Wooyoung’s ex lover walks inside the room with Yeosang trailing after her. I suddenly sense a bad omen even though I’m not a real seeress.

“With her.” Hongjoong’s news punches me in the gut. I glare at the woman with my eyes about to pop out of its socket as well as hers.

“No way!” We shout in unison.

“You guys know each other.” Yunho curiously glances between us.

“How could I not know Wooyoung’s new whor- I mean new lover.” She smiles at me. It’s so fake that I wanna crawl at her face.

“Wooyoung’s lover!!” The guys exclaim, eyeing me as if I grow 2 heads.

I awkwardly laugh while trying to find an excuse to get me out of this nasty situation.

“When did you two-” I quickly clamp my hand over Yunho’s mouth. However, my action only alerts the others’ suspicion.

Although Hongjoong smiles casually, I can see fire in his orbs.

Seonghwa smirks and sits on a chair as if he’s going to watch a drama. “I knew this day would come.”

“Star, you and Wooyoung?” Yeosang furrows his brows. Disbelief written on his face but he waits for my confirmation.

As if on cue, the culprit strides inside the room, he halts his step when he sees his ex lover.

We’re doom. I blink at him to send a telepathic message. Whilst he blinks back at me with an equal shock.

“Well, Wooyoung, I never knew Star and you are together.” Hongjoong grins at the first mate whose face is turning purple, the same as his hair color.

The talkative Wooyoung is now speechless. He looks around the room and stops at his ex lover.

“What a surprise. Yeosang, you said she’s a very important person, but she’s Wooyoung’s lover, are you kidding me?” The ex lover breaks the silence. “Sorry, captain Hongjoong. There’s no way I’ll let her into my house.” She glares at me with so much hate that I have to hide behind Yunho’s back.

I grimace and turn to whisper to Hongjoong. “I believe she isn’t someone trustful anymore.”

Hongjoong clenches his jaw and suddenly shouts, startle all of us. “Wooyoung! You better clean your mess!!”

Wooyoung let out a frustrated sigh, then he grabs the girl’s wrist and pulls her outside the room.

When the door closes, the guys’ attention is focusing on me.

“There's nothing between Wooyoung and me, okay! I just helped him out of trouble. His ex lover pestered him like an annoying seaweed. So he told her that I’m his new lover to shoo her away.”

“It’s his problem, you shouldn’t get involved” Yeosang looks as if he’s going to feed Wooyoung with green terror.

“I didn’t have a choice. You can ask San. He was a witness, right San?” However, San doesn’t cooperate as he’s already pulling out his daggers to sharpen against one another.

“Well, it’s too late. She's gonna kill me in my sleep. I can’t stay with her.” I convince the guys once again as San looks like he’s going to stab someone, hopefully that person isn’t me.

Hongjoong clicks his tongue and sighs. “She’s the only trustworthy woman here.”

“But she’s going to kill me for sure! After you come back from war, my body probably will be buried under the earth's surface. You have no idea what a jealous woman can do!” I whine, trying to be overly dramatic.

“She won’t hurt you, she may appear to be mean sometimes but she’s actually a nice person.” The others snicker after hearing Yeosang’s excuse for the meanie girl.

“I don’t know the definition of nice anymore.” Yunho mumbles.

“If that girl isn’t your sister, I’d slit the first time we met.” Seonghwa sneers, crossing his arms.

“What did you say!?” I shout at Seonghwa

“Oh you didn’t know, that girl, Yeojin, is Yeosang’s sister.” His answer slaps my face so hard I can taste blood in my mouth.

I slowly turn toward Yeosang and give him the best smile I could manifest at this moment.

“Oh, she’s your sister. That’s why I think she’s so pretty.”

Is it too late to compliment his sister although I just insulted his sister as an annoying seaweed?

 

 

°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧°˖✧

 

I'm terribly sorry I couldn't keep my promise to update twice a week. (。╯︵╰。) I re-write so many time to make sure that the chapter is less . But I'll try my best!!