Chapter 39 - It’s not what you think!

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

Living on the island was boring.

No, let me change that sentence. Living inside a tent was boring, frustrating, depressing, etc...

In which Ateez found an island where they planned to fix the ship for a week, I’ve been staying inside the tent for these past few days, recuperating from the kraken’s strike.

My loneliness built up since I was left alone in a small space. The guys were busily repairing the ship all day and night, they barely had time to visit me. Everyday I heard commotion from early morning until late at night.

Aurora, my only girl friend, was unfortunately recruited to help Yeosang and the cook by Seonghwa. He said that everyone had to work. If I weren’t injured, he probably ordered me to chop wood.

Because of tiredness, Aurora came back to the tent and slept right away so we hardly talked to each other. I noticed she got thinner and her shining beauty was somewhat dimmed by visible anxiety. I tried asking her but she said she was fine.

Poor female lead. Those merciless pirates took advantage of her free labor.

I wanted to tell her about her love life prediction but decided against it as I’m afraid she’d rather swim 100 miles to flee from Ateez.

One night, I had a chance to talk with her.

“Did they hurt you? You look unwell.” I struck up a conversation with Aurora when she came inside our shared tent.

“No, it’s not them.” She murmured.

“Hm?” I faintly heard her. The orange light from the small lamp casted shadow on her crestfallen expression.

“You don’t have to worry about me.” She continued, smiling while she prepared to go to sleep.

“Are you angry at me?” It wasn’t my imagination that she tried to avoid me for the past several days.

“No,” She paused, “Maybe I used to but not anymore.”

My shoulders slouched, guilt punched me in the gut. I’m the cause of her misery. I was too absorbed in the storyline and disregard her feelings.

“I’m sorry for not helping you escape. But I promise once the pirates lift the curse at Wonderland, I’ll make sure to let them send you off safely.”

“Nevermind, Star. I can manage myself.” Aurora smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes.

She looks like she wants to speak something but stops.

The conversation ended but somehow my worry expanded.

 

Apart from concerns about Aurora, I also worried about Yeosang. His dark circles displayed under his eye bags and frowns made an appearance on his angelic face.

“Yeosang, I’m bored.” I whine at the young surgeon while he inspects the bruise on my stomach. He would come by once a day, checking up my condition and delivering his green horror for me to consume. My bruise surprisingly recovers fast but he still prevents me from walking around.

“Your bruise isn’t healed yet. You can’t wander around.” As if he could read my mind, he stopped the idea of going outside.

“But I wanna go swimming, sunbathing, catching fish, building sand castles.” When I transmigrate to this world, I barely step foot on land. And when I have an opportunity, I end up injured. My holiday has ruined.

“Nah, if you’re fully healed, you’ll have to help us careening the ship and tarring the hull.” He chuckles softly.

“No way.” I pout, staring at him as he applies ointment on my belly. Although he has done that many times already, I am still shy around him.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” Yeosang asks as he feels a lingering stare from his patient.

“Umm, I think seeing your face can heal my bruise faster.” I answer, giggling in the process when blush blooms on his cheeks.

“You start to absorb Wooyoung’s bad trait.” Yeosang pouts.

“Oh no, I’m not that bad.” I protest.

Yeosang laughed and shook his head. “Don’t say that to other guys. They’ll get the wrong idea.”

“Yessir.” I responded, smiling at how his frown is replaced with a smile. Anyhow I never plan to say it to the other members because their reaction would result in them being extremely narcissist or me being stabbed in the gut for talking gibberish.

Yeosang beamed when he heard my answer. He wiped his hand with clean cloth once he finished treating my bruise.

“Star,” His tone suddenly turns serious. “Do you foresee any event about us?”

“No, I haven't seen anything recently.” I have zero idea how the story will proceed. Everything had changed into a new direction.

He nodded, a bit downcast. “I don’t know if we can really lift the curse.”

“We almost reached Wonderland. I have faith that you guys will succeed.” I gave him a reassuring smile. We have more than a month before the 3rd full moon. I pray that nothing could go wrong.

“I’m so sleepy, treating patients all day.” As if a rock lifted up from his chest, he yawns and stretches his body, lying down next to me. He appears to be more comfortable around me lately.

“Don’t tell Seonghwa that I slack off.” He cranes his neck, smiling brightly at me. Now it’s my turn to be blushing madly when noticing how close he is.

I watch as he falls asleep while I grin widely like a crazy woman.

---

 

On the fifth day, my purple bruise has reduced half of its size. The pain is bearable enough for me to walk around the camp. Thus I sneaked out.

Aurora and my tent is placed far from other crews to ensure our safety. Behind our tent is a giant forest and at the front is a white chalk beach. Faraway I can see the ship heave down to one side and the men are diligently carrying out their work.

As I’m heading to the beach, I walk past one tent, seeing Jack fiddling nervously.

“Jack, you okay?” I ask while approaching him.

His smile appears when he sees me. “Miss Star!”

He sounds too happy, it’s suspicious. Normally, he’d ignore me and talk to Aurora.

“Miss Star, can you please do me a favor?” Jack asks me with his doe eyes. Not waiting for my answer, he shoves a tray that he’s carrying into my hands. “The medicine is for the patient inside. This bowl is for drinking, and this cup is for applying the wound on his back. Thanks, Miss Star.” Jack turns on his heel and disappears along the row of tents.

WTH, I haven’t agreed yet. This boy has an attitude.

I stare at the medicine tray in my hands, I guess I have no choice but to deliver it for the patient.

“Mr. Patient, I’m coming in.” I crouch down and crawl inside the tent.

I put down the tray on the ground and lift my head up. “Fuc-!!”

I almost cuss out loud when I see the patient. So this is the reason why Jack didn’t want to come inside.

“Hi San, l...long time no see.” My mouth twists into a forceful smile. I remember the day he carried me to the island. Once he stepped on the island’s ground, he literally placed me down at the beach, leaving me sitting there like a fool until Yeosang discovered me.

San who’s cleaning his sword peers at me through his fringe. A smirk stretches across his face.

I’ve seen him smirk creepily many times already but why I never get used to it. I thought and shuddered.

“Your medicine.” I push the tray toward him but he ignores me and continues cleaning his sword.

“How’s your back?” My good conscience told me to ask him.

Awkwardness fills the air as he pays no attention to my existence.

“Well, I’m leaving.” I push myself up, intending to leave. It’s strange to be in a small space with the devil.

“Sit.” A chill voice says from behind.

My body spontaneously sit down from his command.

San places down his sword and grabs a bowl that contains green horror, drinking it without hesitation. As he gulps down, green medicine slips down from a corner of his mouth. My gaze follows the green liquid that slowly trailing down from his sharp jawline to his throat.

His dark eyes suddenly lock to mine, I startle and quickly divert my gaze.

Whew, today’s temperature is quite hot. I begin to sweat a little.

He places down the bowl and uses the back of his hand wiping the green liquid.

“Er, can you apply this yourself?” I ask him, pointing at murky green ointment in a cup.

“No.” He answers curtly.

If he said no, does that mean I have to apply it for him?

I gulp down nervously, staring at my hands that are destined to touch his back.

“Ok, then, t..turn..a..around.” My mouth starts stuttering.

He shifts in his seat, his back facing me.

My shaky hand grabs on the helm of his black shirt. I try to lift up his shirt but my hands lose strength to do a simple action.

I can’t do it! It feels like I’m about to commit a sin.

“Can you take off your shirt?” When the question left my mouth, I instantly regretted it. It sounds so wrong.

My face grows hot when he slowly pulls on his shirt and I avert my eyes elsewhere to calm my nerves.

 

“San, you-” A purple head suddenly peeks inside the tent. His sentence cuts short when his eyes fall upon me and his shirtless friend.

“Ohhhh!!” A high pitch yell leaves his mouth. He laughs and wiggle his brows at us. “Sorry mate, carry on.” Then he exits the tent faster than lightning.

“Wait! It’s not what you think...” I pale at the realization. I scurry after Wooyoung but a grasp on my wrist stops me.

I turn around and face with a blank expression San. He glances at the ointment as if to tell me to finish the task.

“But Wooyoung-”

“An idiot.” San cut me off, letting go of my wrist and turning around.

I inwardly scream in sheer embarrassment. Wooyoung is gonna spread false rumors. My seer image would come to ruin.

Oh, wait. It’s already ruined a long time ago.

Without a choice, I pick up a cup and turn to focus on San’s back. My hand immediately flew to cover my mouth from shrieking.

It’s not his muscular back that gets me shocked but the new wound and old scars that conquer every inch of his flesh. The purple-ish bruise that was caused by kraken run across his left shoulder to lower right. While big and small scars scatter around his back.

What is his background story? How could a young man like him carry such heartbreaking scars? The author is so cruel. How could you write a painful fate for his character?

Tears begin pooling in my eyes as I softly pat ointment on his bruise. His back tense up when my hands make contact with his skin.

My finger traces a deep long cut in the middle of his back that looks fatal. He hisses, causing me to snap from my trance.

“Sorry.” My voice came out muffle. If he listens carefully, he will know right away that I cry. He’ll think that I’m weird, crying because of treating him.

“I’m really sorry. You were injured because of me. ” I quietly sniff. I feel bad to be the reason to add more wounds to his back.

Once I’m done, I quickly wipe my tears before he turns around and sees me crying.

“I’m done. Uh, I guess I’ll be leaving. Take care.” I pick up the tray, preparing to head outside. But San grabs me by my wrist again.

My eyes snap at him. However, his cold eyes stare at my hand that now covers in murky green medicine.

He grabs a nearby cloth and begins cleaning my hand.

“San,” I call him. My heart skips a beat at his action. “Thanks but isn’t that the cloth you used to clean your sword?” I stare at a dirty cloth that now smears green.

His hands stop its motion and he throws the cloth away. I retract my hand back, biting my lip from smiling.

“I’m leaving. And don’t wear your shirt yet.” Okay, that also sounds terribly wrong. I swear I didn’t have an ulterior motive nor did I intend to peek at his abs. “I mean your shirt will stick to the medicine, leave it dry first.”

He doesn't reply but I can feel his stare on me. “Well, bye.”

As soon as I exit the tent, I am greeted with Wooyoung’s whistle. “That was fast.”

“It’s not what you think! I was there to treat his wound!” I shout, fluttering.

“That was what I meant? WHAT were you thinking then?” Wooyoung smirks.

My mouth wide open, he’s messing up with me. Wooyoung laughs louder as he sees me blushing madly.

Then a presence stands next to me. I tear my gaze from the annoying Wooyoung and see San. He’s wearing his black shirt which he apparently didn’t listen to me.

San snatches a medicine tray from me and shove it into Wooyoung's face. The wooden cups hit his face and fall to the ground.

“Yahhh!” He shouts, glaring at San. “You ruin my handsome face.”

San doesn’t respond to Wooyoung, instead he grabs my wrist and pulls me away.

The nearby crew stop at what they’re doing and watch the combatant dragging the seer into a secluded area.

Their shock expressions are worse than seeing a kraken.

 

---

 

“Where are we going?” I ask him, feeling insecure as he leads to a secluded beach. The view of our camp getting smaller and disappearing after we took a sharp turn.

We reach a rocky beach where he turns to face me, letting go of my wrist.

“Why are we here?” I warily ask him again and of course, get no response.

His hand pulls out a dagger from his belt.

Staring at the silver weapon, I unconsciously step back. “San?” I search for his eyes but he looks at me void of emotion.

He shifts closer to me and bends down. His free hand grab on my waist and... snatches a dagger from my waist belt.

He plops down on a giant rock, inspecting his dagger with his sharp eyes.

I stand there absentmindedly. I watch him start honing his dagger until my soul travels back to my body.

So he pulls me all the way here to get his dagger. I grimace bitterly and sit next to him, making sure to sit far away in case daggers in his grasp fly into my way.

“Do you want it back? It’s your favorite. I can have another dagger.” The sound of honing blades makes me shiver so I open a conversation.

“It’s yours.” His raspy voice answered me.

“You really give it to me?” I shrink.

He didn’t reply me.

I stay quiet, peering at him sharpening the blade. He looks scary yet attractive. I don’t want to admit that I can watch him doing this all day.

“San, do you have a name for your dagger?” I ask. But he remains silent. I thought he wouldn’t reply.

“San.” His answer was delayed for a full minute.

“Uh, I didn’t ask for your name but your dagger.”

“San.” He repeats.

Don’t tell me…

“Ahahahaha!” I burst out laughing, almost falling off the rock. “You named your dagger after your name, Ahaha- Ouch!” I clutch my stomach as I laughed way too hard.

However, I quickly shut my mouth when San’s face turned dark. And he stops honing the dagger.

Danm, my stupid mouth made me get into trouble.

“Uhh, I think San is a really good name. No, it’s the best name I ever heard. It perfectly fits the god tier dagger.” I sweet-talk him to save my life.

Small smirk returns to his face. I inwardly roll my eyes, he’s being cocky in his own way.

Out of blue, he points the dagger at my chin. I squeak and fall from the rock.

Low chuckles escape his throat as he crouches down in front of me. I massage my and curse him inside my mind.

The dagger’s hilt now points at my face. “Take it.”

I glance between San and his dagger. When I see he didn't plan to stab me, I slowly for it.

“Thanks, I promise I’ll take good care of San.” I say, grabbing the dagger from his grasp.

I secretly laugh when his brows furrow. He probably regrets naming dagger after his name.

“I’m putting San in the sheath.” I put the dagger into my belt, openly mocking him.

“Mingi.” He says.

“Hmm?” I look left and right but see no master gunner.

“You talk like Mingi.” Finishing his sentence, he stands up and flashes me a sinister smirk.

It’s definitely not a compliment. He meant I rant nonsense stuff, I huff because it’s true. Perhaps, I really absorb bad behavior from the guys.

I get up and brush sand from my pants. Seeing San heads back without waiting for me, I rush after him.

San, let’s go!” I shout.

San stops walking and turns around.

“I mean my dagger, not you.” I say, brushing past him. If I die today, it's all because of my blabbing mouth.

San watches the girl stomps further away. Devilish smirk reappears. His stagnant emotion is replaced by a storm in a pit of his stomach. 

 

 

// If Star didn't make it until the end, then you know why.