Chapter 19 - Second chance

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

Once Yeosang ushered me back to sickbay, he started dressing my wound.

He apologized for his crew's harshness and said not to take it by heart.

I try not to think about Seonghwa’s harsh words and the others’ suspicion. But it’s really upsetting when they see me as a foe. I have an impulse to scream that I’m here to save you guys’ lives in their faces but that will create more unnecessary scenes.

When Yeosang finished aiding me, he let me rest in the sickbay. And he reassured me again to not worry and take a good sleep.

He is such an angel. I don’t deserve him.

Yeosang lights up several lamps inside the room before leaving. The light eases my uneasiness but I lie wide awake for an hour. I feel fatigue but my brain refuses to shut down.

 

Then I hear a shift next to my bed.

The petite figure slowly sits up while grabbing at the back of her neck. Aurora looks confused and then she breaks into tears when she realizes she is still on the ship.

“Hey.” I call her and get up.

She gasps when she sees me, “What happens to you?”

“Um, I got into a fight with the merchant.”

“Oh my,” Her hands cover , “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.” Well partly, if she didn’t warn the merchant. But things are out of her control anyway, I can’t blame her. Still, I don’t know whether the trio reported her escape attempt to Hongjoong or not. If they did, I’m not sure how he would react.

“Did you get the map?” She asks.

“Yes.”

“Did you give it to the pirates?”

“Yes.”

“Why?” Her face distorts in bewilderment,“Why do you have to risk your life helping the like of them? They’re cursed because they’re bad people.”

I scratch my head, thinking of a reasonable answer. Because I don’t think she likely to listen to my stupid riddle respond.

I’m helping them because they’re fanfiction’s Ateez. That’s how the story goes. But technically speaking, Ateez are cursed because of their wickedness but they’ll eventually change into a better person.

“I think some bad people deserve a second chance. Don’t you think so? Why are they just only cursed but not sentenced to death right away.”

She stuns for a second and says, “How are you so sure that they're going to change?”

“Um, I don’t know for sure but judging from the way they treat us and the fact that we are still alive, maybe their souls aren’t completely dark.”

“Is it really worth it?”

“Yes, definitely worth it. And you, will you give them a second chance?”

I notice her uneasy expression.

“No need to answer me. But tomorrow I think they may need your answer.”

She’ll have to decide whether she will tell them about the map or not. I pray that she will be inclined by my subtle persuasion but who knows what she thinks.

Once I lifted a mountain out of my chest and put onto Aurora’s, I fell asleep right away leaving the poor female lead lying awake in a dilemma.

---

The next morning, I wake up to the smell of delicious food.

I groggily get up and see Yeosang putting food trays on a table.

“Good morning, how are you feeling?” He asks while flashing me an angelic smile.

“Great” I murmur. The best thing in the morning is to wake up and see Yeosang. My day has been blessed.

Yeosang chuckles, “The wounds don’t hurt anymore? I must be the best surgeon out here.”

No, I can still feel the pain but your existence eases my pain.

Our small conversation wakes Aurora up as she quietly sits up. I swear I’m not jealous but she has the most gorgeous bed hair ever.

“Morning Miss Aurora, how are you feeling?” He greets her but there’s a stiff in his voice.

Then I remember the last time they engaged in a heated argument in the kitchen. I hope they won’t start another war here.

To my relief, they both are calm.

“I’m fine, thanks.” Aurora thanks him in her sweet small voice.

Yeosang nods.

“Are you hungry?” He asks us.

“Yeah, I’m famished.” I answer. Yesterday I used too much energy chasing the merchant. My legs muscles are sore. And today I need food to fight in another battle in an upcoming meeting.

Yeosang hands each of us a food tray. The food on the plate looks different than usual; it looks better.

I put one spoon in my mouth and my eyes went wide in ecstasy.

“Why does the food suddenly taste good!?” I exclaim in wonderment.

Yeosang chuckles at my reaction. “Mingi and Jongho went to kidnap the cook from the tavern that you visited yesterday evening. They said they want to make amends.”

“They did what!?” I choke on my food, “And Hongjoong allowed that?”

“Yeah, he couldn’t tolerate the food either. And the other crew are happy” Yeosang shrugs like the fact that kidnapping an innocent guy is something usual.

“Can we still send him back?” I feel grateful that Mingi and Jongho think of me but I feel bad for the cook.

“No. We already left the city.” His answer made me slump in my bed. “Don’t worry, just think about it as he changes his workplace.” He added.

No matter how much I feel guilty, my plate was wiped clean in a minute and I pat on my full stomach.

Aurora is still eating her food and she seems to enjoy it too.

 

A bowl suddenly appears in my view, I look at Yeosang who hands me the bowl, “Drink your medicine.”

My two hands grab on the bowl. The green liquid greets me and it smells like someone mixed the whole forest in this bowl.

I reluctantly drink a small portion and I hold my tongue from spitting it out.

Yuck! The veggie smell fills my whole mouth. Tears b in my eyes because of its bitterness.

Yeosang smiles at me innocently, urging me to drink more.

It tastes horrible but I gulp down obediently since this is Yeosang’s masterpiece.

“You are the first one that didn’t whine when being told to drink my medicine.” He happily says.

“Oh, really.” I feel honor. I salute the crew that survive his medicine.

Staring at the rest of the liquid in the bowl, I pray for my taste bud.

---

After I painfully finish the horrendous medicine and Aurora finishes her food, Yeosang fetch us new clothes.

“I’ll leave you guys to change into new clothes. We’ll have a meeting after this.” He says while distributing each clothes for us.

I unfold it and see a beautiful red velvet dress. It has long sleeves, v-neck, the front is decorated with red buttons from neckline to waistline and a tiny lace tie at the back.

“Wow, it’s beautiful, no, it’s absolutely gorgeous. Thank you Yeosang.” My eyes sparkle at Yeosang. I have never tried on any beautiful dress like this before.

“No, you thank the wrong person. Wooyoung actually bought them.” Yeosang smiles as sitting at the end of my bed.

“No way.” My face twisted in disbelief. Wooyoung bought the dress.

“He said the captain might be more lenient to you as this dress may remind him of his beloved couch.”

Remind Hongjoong of the red velvet couch? I don’t even know either to thank or curse him.

Yeosang sees my expression and decides to defend (or attack) his friend, “Don’t mind him. He talks crap sometimes, well, most of the time, but he knows how to choose a pretty dress. I think the dress is gonna suit you very much.”

I smile shyly at him. If Yeosang said it’ll suit me, then I will trust him.

Oh I smell someone being too biased.

Yup, me.

 

At the side, Aurora quietly unfolds her new pink dress. It’s not as fine silk as her former dress but it is still pretty. The dress is a princess-line dress and has a round neck with long sleeves and bow tie at the back.

“Aww, it’s so pretty. Don’t tell me Wooyoung also bought the dress for Aurora?” I compliment Aurora’s dress and turn to ask Yeosang.

He nods, his lips quirk up into a smile,“Yea, he said her white dress is so bright that the other ships might be mistaken as a white flag.”

“What kind of lame excuse is that?” I make a face but Yeosang just shrugs while chuckling lightly.

But I gotta give credit to Wooyoung. He sure has good taste and style.

 

Then Yeosang left the room for us to change.

I observe Aurora's blank face staring at the dress in her hand. After knowing that Wooyoung bought the dress, will she toss it away?

“Let’s change and be ready to fight those pirates with your beauty.” I say cheekily, trying to bring up her mood.

Aurora shakes her head at my silly remark.

We begin changing the clothes but I struggle with my wounds so Aurora has to help me.

Once finished, I am stunned by Aurora’s cheating beauty.

“Woahh!” I exclaim in awe, “You’re so stunning.” The pink dress fit her body perfectly and her rose gold hair done into mermaid braid.

When she shows up in this look, the pirates will get swept off the floor.

“You’re pretty too.” She compliments me which makes me giggle. I touch the waterfall braid that she made for me as she saw me tie my hair in a messy bun.

Her eyes trail to my face and neck and her face plasters with guilt.

“Don’t worry about it.” I say to her. I could read her expression that she’s guilty by the unfortunate event.

 

Suddenly, a knock on the door caught our attention.

The first mate's head peeks inside whilst Yeosang’s scold him for having no manners. He ignores Yeosang and strides into sickbay. And the irritated Surgeon follows him in.

Wooyoung smirks when he sees that we’re in the dress that he bought.

“Nice,” He nods in satisfaction, scanning us up and down. And of course his eyes linger at Aurora longer.

His flirtatious side made a grand comeback.

Aurora frowns at his stare and she hides behind my back.

Wooyoung chuckles at her reaction. Then his eyes meet mine, an unreadable expression flashes across his face but he quickly conceals it with playful demeanor.

Something seems fishy about him.

I raise my eyebrow at him questioningly and he also raises his eyebrows to mock me.

“What? You like what you see?” He asks me.

I roll my eyes as an answer. But honestly, he’s right, I like seeing him. Who doesn’t?

He wears a loose purple shirt matching his hair and tight black leather pants. He isn’t in charge of Ateez’s iness for nothing. But his personality makes me wanna roll my eyes for a thousand times.

Yeosang also rolls his eyes at his friend's behavior but not saying anything as he makes his way to pick up a white scarf on a drawer and wrap it around my neck to hide the wound.

“I was right. The dress suits you very much.” He says while looking at me in the eyes.

“Thank you.” I feel like I am floating in those brown orbs.

Wooyoung fake gagging in the back which I throw him a glare.

“Alright, ladies. It’s time for the meeting. Follow me.” Wooyoung whistles joyfully while exiting the room. He seems to be in a good mood or either try to appear to be one.

I limp as I walk. My Left foot is still killing me, I can’t put too much weight on it.

Yeosang stops me and gives me a wooden cane.

I mumble thanks to him and ask, “You’re not coming?”

“No, I have some herbs to sort.” His reply made my heart deflate. He won’t be in the meeting then who’s going to rescue me from the wrath of his crew.