Chapter 60 - Possess

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

OMGGGGGG Atinyyyyy!!! Ateez finally get their first Bonsang!!!!!!

As a promise, I'll (try to) update twice a week (O_O;) 

But our job isn't finish yet, let's vote on Mubeat! It closes tomorrow 6Kst.

So here's your present, 7k words chapter.

 

☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆

 

Jongbin thought serving under the Royal Navy was glorious—to capture corrupted pirates and bring peace to the sea, to wear the white flock uniform and receive admiration from the citizens, to be the perfect son of his parents.

Was it all his delusion?

His path was just a walking glory in the eyes of outsiders. The longer he walks down this trail, the more blood and death accumulate on his hands. The people that supposed to be heroes are villains in disguise. He witnessed how they succumbed to their dark desire.

And a person behind this door is one of them.

Jongbin stares at the large wooden door that no officers except him brave enough to go through and face the vicious commander. As the lieutenant, he has no choice but to adjust his uniform, disposing of his nervousness and wears his obedient lieutenant mask. He knocks against the door and waits for 3 seconds before opening the door without the room owner’s permission.

Candle light on the chandelier flickers by the momentum of the ship, and is extinguished once the door opens. Jongbin enters the cluttered room, stepping on scatter papers on the floor which he ordered cabin boys to clean up yesterday night.

A lone figure stands in the far end of the dim room with his back facing Jongbin. The person has disheveled hair and clothes, he stares at the sea storm through his quarter’s window. No matter how deafening thunder rumbles, how churning waves sway the battleship, he stands motionless. His hand clutches on an empty wine glass while another arm hangs by his side, a white cloth wraps around his hand that almost heals from a bullet wound.

Jongbin clears his throat to gain attention from the man and ready himself to report the same line over the past 10 days.

“Commander, the Revenge has not yet been found. The navigator still couldn’t set the course as the compasses are still broken so he couldn’t pinpoint our current location. Besides, the weather doesn’t have a sign to improve. We’re running out of fresh water and food supplies. The current supplies can last for the entire crew maximum 5 days. The officers are waiting for your next command, sir.”

After finishing the report, Jongbin keeps his mouth shut. He watches the figure slowly turn around. As soon as a pair of bloodshot eyes meet him, he steps aside to avoid a glass that flies toward his direction. The glass shatters against the wall and rains down on the floor. It’s the 10th glasses that have gone to waste.

“Useless!!” Commander Chris sneers and stomps across the room to stop in front of Jongbin. “What command!? The only command I have for those incompetents is to destroy the Revenge! And where are they!?”

A smell of alcohol reaches his nose, Jongbin looks at the furious commander with split feelings. He shares the same loss, humiliation, and anger of his failed plan. He never imagined the pirates were so loyal to the pirate king that they refused the pardon. However, he’s angry at commander Chris for pouring out his rage on the innocent officers and thoughtlessly commands them to follow Ateez regardless of their disadvantages. On the other side, he sympathizes with Chris for losing his sister and fiancee. Because he, too, regrets losing his younger brother.

“Commander, please hold your anger. In this weather the Revenge surely stuck inside the devil's triangle.” Jongbin calmly says. “Or even if they changed the course, we’re already dispatched the fleet to capture them at the major pirate cities.”

Chris snorts and turns away. He walks to a cabinet and picks a new glass to pour wine into. Once he swallows down the liquid, he chuckles sarcastically, staring outside the window. “I’d be upset if the devil’s triangle them into the seabed, I rather witness them die myself. And I rather be the one that captures them.” Then he cranes his neck to Jongbin. “You’re smart. You know very well why I must find them.”

Jongbin nods as he knows Chris desires the Wonderland map.He came to be aware of the information that Miss Aurora is the owner of the map although he isn’t sure if this is the same reason why Chris engages with her. However, he can tell that the commander is head over heels for his fiancee. They almost get a hand on the map but the pirates stole from the merchant whom Chris dealt to buy from. He could guess that Wonderland resides inside the devil’s triangle because the pirates aren’t foolish to sail into the deadly area to escape from them. Thus capturing Ateez means that they’ll successfully go to Wonderland.

The door suddenly opens and a navigator hurriedly steps inside, his eyes wide open with horror. “Commander!, we spot a gigantic monster in sight!”

Chirs’s face twist in anger, “Then ing kill it!”

“S-sir, t-this monster is humongous.” The man stutters, scared to touch on Chris’s nerve.

Chris curses, stomping his foot onto the floor. “We have a warship with 100 guns! Go kill it and get lost!”

The ship suddenly tilts to the side. Frightened cries of the officers from outside reach into the room.

“Full of idiots.”Chris throws the glass to the floor and advances outside the room. The navigator and Jongbin quickly follow after him.

Once they reach the main deck, the sight causes the furious commander to become speechless. In a raging sea, an object that is far larger than squid’s tentacles rise from the water into the grey sky.

“Commander! It’s the legendary creature Kraken!!” Jongbin shouts, clutching on the rail near him to balance himself. “Sir, what’s your order?!” He asks the commander once he notices that the monster starts to create a gigantic whirlpool by its tentacles.

“Kraken...” Chris seems to be out of his mind as he stares absentmindedly at the monster while the officers are waiting for Chris’s order. Seeing no reaction from the man in charge, Jongbin shouts toward the gun crew to fire at the monster. To no avail, the cannonball can’t do much damage on it. Soon the battleship loses its momentum and heads downward the whirlpool where the Kraken opens its gaping maw.

Every man starts crying in horror, some abandon their posts and jump overboard to escape from terrifying death. Jongbin tries his best to shout through the storm for all hands deck to retreat to the lower deck. However, deep down he knows whatever they do, they won’t survive.

Jongbin then orders the navigator to Chris into a safe place. The commander furiously shouts incoherent words when seeing his pride ship HMS Declaration coming to an end. In his entire career, Jongbin never witnessed the despair on Chris's expression.

Nevertheless, regret, anger, despair also weighs down in Jongbin’s chest, will his life end just like this? He helplessly watches the ship arrive at the entrance of Kraken's maw.

 

In a blink of an eye, the whole world turns dark. Jongbin blinks his eyes to adjust his sight. The night sky greets him and the sea is calm, so as the wind as if there wasn’t a storm just a moment ago.

The officers that still left on the upper deck are all flabbergasted, including Jongbin.

“Are we dead?” The navigator murmurs, sticking his head from the stair below. Then Chris stomps toward the rail next to him.

Jongbin perplexingly observes their surroundings. His gaze meets with an illuminating island in front of them. “Sir, there’s an island there.”

Chris remains silent for over a minute which makes the crew uneasy. They all look at the lieutenant for order but Jongbin keeps quiet as he doesn't understand the situation as well.

Out of blue, Chris bursts out laughing. The officers look at him, thinking their commander is losing his mind. 

“Could it be Wonderland? The island that the pirate king is seeking.”

Jongbin frowns. The situation is too strange. They were almost eaten alive by the Kraken and now they appear upon a mysterious island. That island could be anything but Wonderland. He wants to inform the commander; however, when he sees the way Chris’s smirk, he rather swallows down his comment.

“Make ready to go ashore.”

 

---

 

“Commander, the cave is abnormal.” Jongbin states his opinion once they walk further into the island and walk upon a cave. Everything about the island alarms him; the glowing trees, non living things, this cave. It looks like something set it up for them to find the island.

Chris ignores Jongbin and stares intently at the entrance where the green light is glowing from the inside. He takes a step forward but Jongbin stops him “Sir, it could be a trap.”

Chris’s icy blue eyes glare at Jongbin and yanks the hand that holds his arm away. “If you’re scared, then you can stay here. And I’ll select a new lieutenant.”

“No sir. I’m not scared.” Jongbin holds his breath and tries not to curl his hand into a fist. Chris snorts and heads inside the cave without waiting for his entourage. The officers nervously glance between where Chris disappeared and Jongbin.

“You four guard the entrance. If you find anything strange, come find me immediately.” Jongbin ordered the men and led the others into the cave.

Less than 10 minutes later, Jongbin spots Chris standing in a spacious hall, in front of a black pool where a stone throne stands out from the water. Something or rather someone perches on that throne and starts to move. Alarmed, the officers immediately raise their pistols toward that figure.

Suddenly a woman’s laugh echoes throughout the cave hall. Her chilling voice seems to be every direction.

“Welcome, my commander.” Dim moonlight shines on the figure of a woman, she rises on her throne and floats toward them, that’s how they realize she isn’t human because she has no legs but tentacles. The men instantly back away from the pool, except Chris and Jongbin.

“Is this Wonderland?” Chris fearlessly asks.

The female monster laughs upon hearing Chris’s question. “No.”

“Ah...too bad. So this is a monster’s lair.” Chris contorts his face in disappointment. “Then apologies for intruding into your island. We’ll be heading back.” Chris politely smiles and turns on his heels to order his crew to head outside.

Jongbin secretly sighs. Chris isn’t a stupid man. Even though he loses his judgment because of anger, at least he has a clear conscience to notice that the squid, or whatever creature she is, screams that she’s dangerous.

The monster twists disdainfully. “I’m not a mere monster. I’m the sea witch that you humans should be feared.”

Chris and the crew halts, not because they’re surprised that she’s the sea witch but because there're monsters blocking the exit.

“I’m the one that brought you here. And no one can go out of here alive.” The sea witch laughs in a high pitch tone. Jongbin is right, someone really set them up to sail upon the witch’s island. Seems like they can’t escape from dead today.

Chris knits his brow in contemplation, then he nods at Jongbin. Receiving the signal, the lieutenant orders the officers to open fire.

Rain of bullets hit the monsters causing them to let out painful screeches. However, more monsters emerge from shadow to attack them. The officers numbers are way smaller than the hordes of monsters, thus the losing side is decided.

“What do you want? Witch!” Chris shouts in pure rage. His body is held by two squid monsters. While Jongbin is locked down on the ground by some type of seaweed and the others are also captured.

“I have a deal for you.” The witch purred.

“I’m not making a deal with you, monster!!” Chris yells and then grunts as the squid monsters tighten their hold on him.

“If I say I can lead you to Wonderland. Still not interested?”

At the mention of Wonderland, Chris stops struggling.

“You shall get your revenge on pirate king and your beloved women will return to you.” The witch continues tempting the young commander.

Chris stares at the sea witch. “And in return?”

“Give me your crew.” The monsters growl in cheering after the witch announces.

“What’re you gonna do with them?” Chris asks.

“Those who deem weak shall feed to my children, and strong one shall turn into my armies.”

“Sir, don't listen to her. It’s a trap!” Jongbin shakes his head and tries to yell at Chris who loses in his thought. He knows this man will sacrifice everything to achieve his goal.

Sea witch waves her hand and seaweed cramps over Jongbin’s mouth. Her tentacles raise 3 objects for them to see. Jongbin squints his eyes to see that they’re a pendant, a paper and a dagger.

“That’s Aurora’s necklace!” Chris shouts when he spots a familiar pendant of his fiancee.

“So what’s your answer?” The witch tries to lure Chris by waving the pendant near his face.

The commander's icy gaze peers at his crew, seeing them struggle by the monster locking them on the floor. Then his gaze fixates on Jongbin, he gradually lets out an evil smirk that makes Jongbin’s heart go cold. “Deal. Take anyone you want except my lieutenant. It’s hard to find a smart man nowadays.”

After Chris answers, the officers scream in unison when the monsters swarm at them. From a far distance, the cannon fire can be heard. Jongbin can picture what’s happening to them. He stares at Chris in disbelief. The man that should be full of honor sacrifice his crew for his own desire. This man is the real monster and to serve under him all these past year, Jongbin regret doing his dirty jobs.  If he had a second chance, he'd do everything to stop this monster. That’s the last thing he thought as he lost consciousness.

After the cries of humans die down, Sea witch beckons Chris to walk up to her. The squid monsters let go of Chris and he confidently walks toward her, no remorse visible in his cold orbs. The witch then passes the crescent dagger into his hand.

“Drop your blood onto the map and it’ll reveal the course to Wonderland.” Her tentacles unfold a blank yellow map.

Chris slices his hand without hesitation, red blood flows down and disappears into the paper. Less than a second, ink appears and reveals Wonderland’s location.

The witch grins so wide until corners of reaches her ears, flashing a row of pointy teeth. “So this is where you hide all along.”

“Who are you talking about?” Chris warily stares at the witch.

“Just my old enemy.” The witch smiles at Chris as her tentacles coil tightly around his wrist and body. “Thank you for your service, commander”

“What is the meaning of this!? Are you using me?!” Chris panic by the sudden change of the witch’s attitude.

“Yes, I am.” After her honest answer, her long tongue darts out to the blood on Chris’s gash hand. “Now you shall belong to me.”

Chris pupils dilate when the witch leans closer to him. The last thing he sees is her monstrous eyes.

 

When Chris opens his eyes again, it’s no longer icy blue but yellow slit eyes. “Not bad of a human body.” The witch that possesses the commander’s body mumbles in a low masculine voice and peers at her original body in the water. She was badly injured by the light that was cast by the old hag. And luck seemed to be on her side as she sensed the warship in her territory. Hence she came up with a brilliant plan.

“Old hag, you prevent me from stepping into your island. But now that I posses a human body, you can’t stop me. I’m coming and will finish you for good.”

Chris or the sea witch walks further into the cave. She saunters inside a room and sits on a bed that is made out of rock where a sleeping beauty lies unconsciously.

“Foolish girl, should I let you rot here?” She caresses Aurora’s pale cheek and then her lips form into an evil smirk. “Or I shall grant your memory back and send you to the pirate king while I pursue Wonderland.”

She laughs in a low voice of Chris, “New lover and old lover, who will he choose?”

 

---

 

“Have ye heard the news?” A scruffy looking man lowers his voice, asking his tablemates about the hottest topic in Nassau.

“What news?” One eyed man asks back, and drown himself with liquor.

“Pirate king is back.” The scruffy man whispers. There’s a pause in the listeners’ reaction so he has to repeat the sentence because the noise inside the tavern overwhelms his voice.

“So what? This is his territory.” Another shabby looking man comments. “Though it’s strange why they disappear for almost 3 months.”

“Because they hit a jackpot.” The scruffy man finally caught interest from his tablemates as they lean closer. The storyteller then continues. “The rumor said that the Revenge didn’t sail into Nassau. This morning, she appears out of nowhere.”

One eyed man and the shabby man look at each other and snickers. “How could that be?”

“Because they possess the Wonderland map. They be saying the king was granted a very powerful magic.”

“I heard the whole crew were cursed.” Another man chimes in and sits down with them. “They became servants of the sea witch. They’re here to capture us humans into her servant as well.”

Before the whole table reacts to the newcomer, they yelp in surprise when a dagger pierce into the table.

“What the hell!?” One-eyed man gets up to face a purple haired male that rudely disturbs them.

The person grins, pulling his dagger out and pointing at the good eye of the one-eyed man. “Listen here mate, Nassau will hear about you losing another eye today.”

“Ye !” One-eyed man lunges forward but is held back by the tablemates.

“Ye crazy. That’s the first mate of Ateez!” After the scruffy man announces the appearance of the Revenge crew, the whole tavern becomes quiet, all eyes focus on the scene.

“Who spread rumors we were cursed? Look here!” A red haired man beside the first mate raises his arm up in the air. “Do we look like we’re cursed? Does this arm look like an eel to y’all?! Who dares to spread groundless rumors will eat my bullets instead of food here!”

The crowd sweats in silence. They don’t even dare to blink their eyes. Ateez crew are infamous for their brutality. Only stupid souls dare to cross them.

“S-sorry, sir. We’re too carried away by the news. But is it true that you went to Wonderland?” Scruffy man may be intimidated by the duo; however, he’s more curious about the rumor.

“Hmm, I’ll tell you.” The first mate smirks mischievously. The whole tavern holds their breath to listen in what he’ll say next. “If only you dig out your mate’s another good eye.”

Terrified, one-eyed man visibly shaking and faint on the spot whilst his tablemates turn into a statue. Wooyoung snickers, witnessing their reaction. Then he turns to shout at the crowd who still stare at him. “Do any of you have more questions?”

Silent.

“Keep ye damn mouth shut. If I hear another gibberish rumor. Ye will know how my bullets taste like.” The master gunner pulls out his pistol and glares around the place. The crowd immediately lower their heads in fear.

Satisfied, Mingi heads toward a vacant table while shouting orders to a waitress. “Give us four tankards of beer and whatever best dishes you have!” Wooyoung follows after his mate and doesn’t forget to glare at the crowd for one last time.

“These thugs know so fast.” As soon as they reach the table, Mingi scoffs, slight anxiousness shows on his expression.

“Better not mention anything here.” Wooyoung shakes his head, he turns solemn contrast to what he displayed a moment ago.

After that they converse in normal conversation, or other words, they argue with each other until the waitress comes to serve their food. Wooyoung being Wooyoung, he flirts with her.

Mingi rolls his eyes, he picks up a tankard and drowns the liquor in his throat. He uses the back of his hand to wipe his mouth and his eyes dart toward 2 empty seats. Panic written across his face when he doesn’t find his best friend. “Where’s shooting Star!?”

It’s time for Wooyoung to roll his eyes. “While you were conversing with a stranger in front of the tavern for half an hour, Star wanted to take a bath so I told a waitress to lead her upstairs.”

Mingi scratches the back of his head. “Wasn’t she bathing on the ship? Why does she want to bath again?”

Wooyoung shrugs, “She said she still smelled like a fish.”

“A fish...” Mingi sniffs himself and scrunches his nose. “Yeah, well, and where’s San?” They blink at each other and instantly curse in unison and scurry toward the stair that lead to upstairs.

 

---

 

I’m alive...

I thought to myself while getting out of the bathtub, feeling a little fresh and smelling like a whole floral garden instead of a fish market that was caused by monsters’ blood. It’s a miracle that we survived the witch's attack and magically teleported near Nassau. A lot of things happen in a span of one night. I gotta confess I’m still not recovered from the shocking events, as well as Ateez. They aren’t able to come up with their next plan.

Once we reached Nassau, Ateez was busy with their work. They seemed to know that I was stressed out so some of them escorted me into the city. 

When Mingi was greeting the town people like a president, I requested Wooyoung to take me to bath. He said he would order a waitress to deliver me a cloth. So I put on a brown bathrobe, dry my hair with a small towel and exit the bathroom. I see two sets of clothes on the bed. On the left side lies a creamy long dress while another on the right is a long sleeve black shirt and leather pants. These clothes are totally opposite styles.

I pick up the dress and admire it. It’s so pretty. White lace decorates the collar and along the skirt. It’s not everyday I have a chance to wear a dress and people won't stare weirdly at me. I’m sure Wooyoung picked this one. I have to admit he has a good taste in women's clothing.

“Not that one.” A voice startled me. I whip my head toward the sound and see a figure step out of shadow.

“W-What the heck are you doing in here?” I quickly look down at myself. Okay, I look decent with a bathrobe on. Then I turn to glare at the intruder. “Are you aware that this is a lady's room? You shouldn’t trespass without my permission!”

“Not that one.” He repeats his sentence as if he didn’t listen to me at all. I look at the dress in my hands and frown. “Why not? It’s pretty.”

The combatant takes large steps until he’s right in front of me. He snatches the fabric and throws it to the ground.

“Hey! That’s money you’re throwing!” I protest, crouching down to pick up the dress but he steps on it.

“Seriously?” I look up and connect my eyes with his dark gaze.

“Wear that one.” San says, expressionless.

I huff. He’s so stubborn. I doubt he can hear what people are saying but decide to ignore them and do whatever he wants. I adjust my bathrobe and stand up, then I spot San dagger at his belt. On the ship, I tried to get it back but he remains nonchalant about my request. Now that I get a chance...I smirk and rush in to steal it.

However, he’s faster. He grabs my hand before I’m able to touch the hilt.

“Give my dagger back.” I whine while trying to retrieve my hand that held tightly in his grasp back.

“No.” He curtly refused.

“What do you mean by no? Seakeeper-nim told you to give it to me which means that dagger belongs to me.”

“Use me.” San holds my gaze. “I’ll be your dagger.”

Blinking confusedly, my brain struggles to process what he meant. “How are you going to be my dagger?” I laugh, then realize the meaning behind his word. “Are you going to be my bodyguard? As in my protector?”

He hums in his throat as an answer. His confirmation causes my heart to palpitate. I draw my eyes to elsewhere but him.

“Y-you don’t have to protect me. I-I feel guilty to see you hurt because of me.” I stammer. The heat from his hand travels to my cheeks. “A-and you can’t stay with me all the time right?”

After I said the sentence, I realized how it would give him a wrong idea. “Hold your thought! I didn’t suggest for you to stay with me like all day all night! That’s unrealistic!”

While I try to correct myself, his lips form into a small smirk.

“Fine with me.” He says. Then he lets go of my hand and turns around to exit the room, leaving me standing flabbergasted for digging myself a grave.

I tug my wet hair and let out a soundless wail. He’s awfully, truly, immensely the cause of my death.

I turn to look at the two sets of clothes, one on the bed and another on the floor. A heavy sigh leaves my lips.

Which one should I wear?

 

---

 

Once I finished changing, I exit the room and see Wooyoung and Mingi interrogate San whose face already radiates a killing intent. I clear my throat to get their attention before San decide to murder his crewmates.

“Wow! Shooting Star, you look impressive.” Mingi abandoned his friends to stare at me in awe.

“Thank you.” I tug my hair behind my ear, feeling bashful from his sincere compliment.

Wooyoung stares at me and raises an eyebrow. “That’s not the dress I ordered for you.” He glimpses at his best mate and gives him a questioning look. The culprit blankly stares at me as if he isn’t involved in the conversation.

“Err...wearing a dress is kinda uncomfortable to move around the ship.” I provide Wooyoung a valid reason. “But I’ll wear it once I have an opportunity. By the way thank you for buying me this pretty dress.” I hug a paper bag with the dress folded inside.

“Suuure.” Wooyoung says in a sing-song voice and drapes his arm around San’s shoulder. “But that outfit kinda reminds me of a certain someone.”

I look at San today’s outfit and mine. They’re exactly the same pattern. So that’s why he acted like a brat, forcing me to wear his picked clothes. Wooyoung starts laughing when he notices my surprise expression.

“Let’s go. I’m hungry!” I interrupt Wooyoung’s annoying dolphin laughter and tug on Mingi’s shirt to lead me downstairs.

 

I wolf down all of the food while pretending to be oblivious by the stares of the trio and people in the tavern. I wish the other members would join us but they are all occupied. Hongjoong, Seonghwa and Yunho went to the governor's manor as soon as we arrived at the port. Yeosang went shopping for medical supplies and had to return to the ship to look after his patients. While Jongho busily repairs the ship. In the end, these jobless people hang out with me.

“Are you full? We can order more.” Mingi stares at my wipe clean plate.

“Nah, I can’t eat anymore.” I pat my belly.

Mingi nods and drinks my beer that I refuse to consume because I don’t wanna open a concert here.

“Then let’s go. There’re a lot of places to show you.” Wooyoung suggests. He promises me to give me a city tour.

We’re heading outside the tavern but I remember something important. “Don’t you need to pay?”

Mingi and Wooyoung immediately chuckle, even San has a tiny smirk on his lips.

“What? Is it because you’re pirates so you can ditch people just like that?”

“If you own the tavern, do you think you need to pay?” Wooyoung asks me. His question made my jaw hit the ground.

“You own this tavern!?”

“We own it.” Mingi corrected my sentence. He puffs his chest out, looking so proud. “Not only this tavern, we own almost half of the business here. Impressive right?”

“Damn...” I nod my head while my mouth still hangs open. They’re filthy rich. If they all turn into sea monsters, their money would go to waste. I should tell them to dispose of their property to me in their testament.

“Well, madam, how about we go sightseeing on our prosperity? It’d be yours too if you happen to end up with one of us.” I nod, still in daze so I didn’t catch what Wooyoung said in the last sentence.

Losing in my greedy imagination, I didn’t watch my path and almost collided into a passerby.

“Oh! Sorry.” I apologize to a woman in front of me. She’s slightly taller than me. She has shoulder length blonde hair, and almond shaped brown eyes. Her beauty radiates so bright that I have to squint my eyes. I could say she’s a second beautiful woman after Aurora.

She looks over my shoulder and pushes me away. I stumble to the side, almost trip my ankle. I turn around to give her a wtf look.

The beautiful yet rude woman stops in front of Wooyoung who looks at her wide eyes, flashes of delight and pain past his face and later dissolves into anger. Mingi covers his mouth with his hand, looking at the woman and peering at Wooyoung worriedly. While San keeps on a poker face.

“Wooyoung, I’m back.” She says. Her voice is as sweet as honey.

“I can see that.” Wooyoung harshly answers.

“Aren’t you happy to see me back?” She asks. Her question causes Wooyoung to glower.

“Do I look happy seeing you? Get lost from my face!” Veins pop out on his temple. This is the first time that I see him being this angry. He strides forward but the woman grabs his arm.

“No, Wooyoung. We need to talk.”

The first mate swats her hand away. “We have nothing to talk since the day you decided to leave me.” However, the headstrong woman refuses to let him go. Two of them look like they're playing a tug-of-war in the middle of the street. The crowd look at them interestingly and whisper among themselves. Mingi helplessly glances at the fighting couple and scratches his head. “Oh no! She’s back. What to do!”

I stand on the side watching K-drama unfold in front of my eyes. I never knew Wooyoung had a past with this unknown character. But I can tell that they used to be lovers but had a bad break.

“Let go!” Finally Wooyoung successfully pushed the woman away. “Don’t ever let me see your face again. I warn you.” He turns on his heel and walks away. The beauty shouts after him. “I know you never forgot me. Even if you’re sleeping around with those women. I don’t believe that you have feelings for them.”

Wooyoung halts in his tracks and whirls around. A dangerous smirk imprint on his face. Instead of confronting his ex lover, he strides toward me. Then he circles his arms around my waist, pulling my body closer to him.

“She’s my one and only lover.”

I almost choked on my saliva when he said the sentence. He pinches my waist as a signal for me to play along.

“I don’t believe you.” She scowls and looks at me from head to toe and back to my face. “Is she’s one of your whor-”

“Ouch!” I yelp out loud before she was able to insult me. “Wooyoung-ah, I think my ankle twisted because that woman pushed me.” I pout at Wooyoung, trying to act cute that I want to vomit in my mouth. I can see his eyes twist at my poor acting.

“You hurt my woman. Apologize to her.” Professionally, Wooyoung’s able to maintain his acting.

The ex lover scoffs. “Can’t you see she fake being hurt!”

Oops she knew. Wooyoung pinches my waist harder that I have to clench my jaw.

Fine! I’ll show you what a real Star can do!

“Wooyoung-ah, I didn’t fake it. My ankle really hurt. I don’t think I can walk.” I rest my head on his chest and circle my arm around his waist and pinch his back as hard as I can as a revenge.

His body becomes tense, but he’s able to smile at me warmly. “Let me help you take the pain away.” Goosebumps rise behind my neck as Wooyoung leans closer. He gently kisses my forehead. My breath stuck in my throat and the paper back in my grasp drops to the ground.

“No, I don’t believe it. I know how much you love me!” The woman sniffs her nose like she’s about to cry. Wooyoung doesn’t pay attention to her as he busily caresses my cheek lovingly. However, my soul has traveled outside my body. This dude dared to kiss me in front of the whole public. Since my job isn’t finish here so I play along until the woman finally gives up and runs away from the scene. When she’s out of sight, Wooyoung lets go of me.

“There’s nothing to watch here!!” Wooyoung shouts to the crowd and they immediately disperse.

Mingi walks up to Wooyoung and grab Wooyoug’s collar. “Do you have to go so far and kissed Star?” Mingi scowls, apparently not liking how Wooyoung used me to shoo his ex lover away.

Wooyoung doesn't answer him back but pushes the taller guy away. He mumbles an apology to me and soullessly leaves our little group, walking down the street.

“Erm, do we need to check on him?” Although I want to be angry at him, his condition concerns me.

“Let him be. He’s a strong guy.” Mingi shrugs. “We don’t need him here anyway. I can give you a tour.” He beams at me and picks up the paper bag on the ground. San’s gaze follows Wooyoung’s direction and turns to me. His expression is so emotionless that I have to break the eye contact myself. Then we resume our journey until someone calls Mingi.

“Sir, I have the latest guns reserved for you. And they’re 50% off.” A man head shorter than me approaches Mingi.

“Really!” Mingi exclaims. “What’re you waiting for? Lead me to your store.”

Just like that the master gunner follows the seller, completely forgetting about me.

 

I sigh. Why can't the normal members hang out with me instead?

The atmosphere became awkward once San and I left together. “I guess, the plan to tour the city is cancelled. Shall we head back to the ship?” I don’t think San would be a good tour guide cause he won’t open his mouth to explain stuff.

San steps closer to me and suddenly picks me up in a bridal style.

“What the heck!” I cry in surprise. The whole alley burst into murmur once they saw he lifted me up. “Put me down!” I whisper shout at him because people are literally staring at us.

“You hurt.” He said.

“I said I’m fine. I was faking my injury.” I say through grit teeth, feeling a headache that he’s not catching my acting.

He responds to me with a smirk and starts walking.

“Seriously, put me down.” I use my hair to cover my beet red face as we start to gain too much attention.

“Isn’t that the devil? He kidnapped a girl. She’s so dead.” A group of men from my right side whisper a little too loud.

“Poor girl. She probably seduced him and got into his wrong side.” Women sitting in front of a e house conversing among themselves. “I remembered a new girl mistakenly thought he’s a client. Until these day, we still can’t find her body.”

What do you mean her body disappears?! Tell me! I ask the questions in my head. Will I end up like that girl?

I peek at him through my hair. He glares at those people and they instantly shut their mouths. The street became quiet as a graveyard.

“San, please.” I beg him again. His chuckles ring in my ears and I know his answer right away.

Thus I close my eyes and fake being dead.

 

---

 

San carried me for a while until the noise of the town disappeared and was replaced by a gentle sound of waves crashing against the shore.

He lowers me down onto the soft sand. I open my eyes and see the crystal clear sea in front of me. He sits next to me, staring forward. I look around but see no living thing except us.

“Why are you taking me here?” I turn to ask him. And nope I don’t get answers from him. So I stay silent and enjoy the scenery. Stretching my legs into the sand, I take a deep breath and feel stress slowly fade away.

“I realize I never have a chance to play in the sea since I came here.” I speak up. I sail above the sea and never once swim in the water. “Oh! not count when I drown though.”

I feel San’s gaze on me. I look at him curiously, waiting for him to speak. Instead, he stands up abruptly.

“We’re leaving so soon?” I ask him, disappointed that I have to leave the peaceful moment.

He doesn't say anything, but crouches down and lifts me up. AGAIN.

“Put me down! I can walk!” I yell, wiggle myself in his embrace.

Instead of heading to the land, he heads toward the sea.

“Wait what are you doing?” I panic when he begins striding into the water. His expressionless face turns into mischievousness. I realize what he’s planning to do.

“I don’t want to swim now. I don’t need to take a bath again. Yahh! Don’t you dare drop m-” My sentence left unfinished as he lets go and drop me into the water.

Seawater gets into my mouth and eyes. “Ah pui!” I spit salty water and wipe my eyes. I scramble on my feet to shoot dagger at him. A tiny smirk imprinted on his face so I lost my determination to scold him.

I turn around and head to the shore. Once I’m sure he’s following me, I abruptly turn around and splash water at him.

Unexpectedly, he doesn't flinch or blink his eyes. I continue splashing water at him like a mad woman, but he remains unbothered.

“Tsk, you’re no fun.” I stick my tongue out at him and whirl around.

And that was a mistake because once I let down my guard, he lifted my body and draped me on his shoulder. He walks further into the water.

“Heyyy! I’m not a strong swimmer.” I whine when he goes too deep “San I swear, I’ll-” Before I finish my threat, he lets go of me. However this time, my arms circle around his neck so I don’t completely submerge into the water. My feet barely touch the ground so I have no choice but to hold onto him like a baby monkey. I give him a scowl and realize how close we are. I swallow hard when his arms circle around my waist.

The atmosphere immediately changes. His dark eyes that are covered by his wet fringe stare deep into mine. I seem to be enchanted under his spell hence I can’t look away.

His hot stares travel from my eyes to my lips, his lips part and he leans closer. When our lips almost touch, I abruptly turn my face away. My heart pounds against my chest like it’ll burst out.

San remains close to me. His hot breath fan onto my cheek.

“I can’t.” I shake my head. “And you shouldn’t do this again.” Although Hongjoong and I are still in the unidentified relationship, if I kissed San, I felt like I’d be a cheater. Hongjoong doesn’t deserve it and so as San.

San’s body becomes tense, but his hold tightens around me.

“It’s better if you stop here. One day we’ll part way. Let’s not make it harder, shall we?” I finally meet his eyes. His dark orbs, there’re many emotions in them.

“And captain.” His voice is hoarse. He didn’t have to say a full sentence but I understood what he meant.

“Whether it’s Hongjoong, you or anyone. I know I should stop my feelings knowing that I don’t belong here.” My voice starts to crack as I speak. “So that our departure will be less painful if I don’t have any lingering feelings toward anyone.”

“Coward.” His expression turns cold as well as my heart. I press my lips together. The memory of when I called him a coward resurfaced.

“Perhaps, you’re right. I’m a coward. I’m scared of the future. What if I return one day and your story is just a fragment of my illusion, what will I do?” My eyes feel hot and the last thing that I want to do right now is crying.

San watches me silently. Then he leans his head against mine. I shut my eyes to control my emotion. The sound of waves able to calm me a little. This is the right thing to do, I repeat in my head.  

I open my eyes when the water suddenly feels cold.

In my peripheral view, something floats on the water. I squint my eyes to look at it and feel my heart drops.

That’s a body!!!

“Arghhhhhh!!!” I scream and bury my head into San’s shoulder. “Oh my godddd, there’s a floating corpse there!”

I wanna cry and throw up at the same time. The stress already piled up on me, I don’t need a random body to be my another nightmare.

“Stay here.” San whispers to me.

“Don’t go that way! Let’s head back to the ship!” I squeeze him tighter, and fervently shake my head. I feel his neck vibrate when he chuckles. In a time like this, he still finds amusement to laugh.

“Betrayer.” He said out of the blue. Venom in his tone makes me shudder.

 

Puzzled, I look upward and see San’s sharp gaze burn at the body behind me. I gather my courage and turn to look at it.

 

“Aurora!”